Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Thom12255 posted:

$200 isn't even a lot for this kind of thing lol

British politicians are notoriously cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ardennes posted:

So what are the chances the UK actually gets a left-wing party?

It depends on what happens with Corbyn. Right now I'd assume no because the respected old Labour left MPs have a real emotional attachment to Labour that I don't think is shared by younger ones, but there's huge respect for their elders so they don't do anything without McDonnell Abbott et al.

If they undo the suspension then nothing is happening but the fragmentation of the left within Labour as a lot drift away in frustration and the Labour left's ineffectiveness. If they don't then the chances increase but probably only to 25%

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ardennes posted:

In the 19 election, the Tories had spent all year bungling Brexit on every possible level. Boris literally ran and hid from journalists in the weeks leading up to the election, once going into a fridge to cower while he was being recorded. The Labour leader was Jeremy Corbyn, a genuine leftist and actual human being. Boris Johnson won by an overwhelming margin.

Maybe some Labour breakaways will form a proper leftist party, but the english are never going to vote for them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the people voted for pain

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

i say swears online posted:

the people voted for pain

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Ardennes posted:

The genuine chance at getting a left wing party in power was decimated in the 19 election. The only way Labour can win is by becoming Tory lite. Just like Blair did to the party in 1997. Corbyn baggage has damaged their cause for a few cycles.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

DGC773 posted:

The genuine chance at getting a left wing party in power was decimated in the 19 election. The only way Labour can win is by becoming Tory lite. Just like Blair did to the party in 1997. Corbyn baggage has damaged their cause for a few cycles.

the tories are forced to govern using corbyn-lite policies, you'd be an actual insane person and/or labour peer if your takeaway from 19 isnt "holy poo poo there's a base for the left if they try something more likely to work than "lets be nice please""

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the political landscape is gonna be pretty different on jan 1 i think

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It'd take some massive organizing against centuries-old political parties that are firmly entrenched in every institution in the country. It's possible but it requires way more of people, who would have to sacrifice a lot more than their free time and posting hours.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DGC773 posted:

Weird that that only worked for Blair, but no one before or after him.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I thought the lesson of the '19 election was that there are people willing to break ranks to vote for Brexit, but not people willing to break ranks to vote against Brexit.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The lesson of '19 was that everything is anti-semitic except skills wallets.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Ardennes posted:

None. Government and all media are corrupted by the insanely wealthy psychopaths who will never accept a single down tick in profits.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/nov/01/jewish-labour-supporters-this-antisemitism-thing-just-doesnt-seem-to-be-going-away

Labour is done. They're right. It's not going to go away.

Or Starmer has valiantly pulled Labour ahead of the Conservatives despite Corbyn's schemes.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/ChrisKPH/status/1322812725282689024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/nov/01/jewish-labour-supporters-this-antisemitism-thing-just-doesnt-seem-to-be-going-away

Labour is done. They're right. It's not going to go away.

Or Starmer has valiantly pulled Labour ahead of the Conservatives despite Corbyn's schemes.

interesting

quote:

“I follow politics pretty closely and was familiar with his schtick: I was never a fan, but as long as he was an unimportant backbencher I didn’t waste energy on him and voted on national lines.

“About 10 years ago I noticed that his faction was becoming more toxic and by the time he was leading the leadership race in 2015, I was warning my friends to take care.

“The five years since he won have been painful. I wanted an effective opposition to the government, who could win power, and knew that he wouldn’t provide that. When I received rants about the ‘mainstream media’ brainwashing us against him, I said: ‘But I was there, I heard him say all those things in real time, before the national media cared. I didn’t like it then and I don’t like it now.’”

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
lol the antisemitism thing is gonna become the perennial club to bash in the skull any nascent left ideas or even anything more left than von hayek

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mortons stork posted:

lol the antisemitism thing is gonna become the perennial club to bash in the skull any nascent left ideas or even anything more left than von hayek

Your hacks have invented their Mondale. They'll keep bringing it up after 50 more years of conservative rules. Well, hopefully the island sinks into the sea before that.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

er, isn't that obviously a fake account in the screenshots - there's a 1 in the name instead of an i

perc2
May 16, 2020

That's true, there's no way another person called Sue Mitchell got on Twitter before July 2018

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jarf posted:

None. Government and all media are corrupted by the insanely wealthy psychopaths who will never accept a single down tick in profits.

It’s not up to them. If the MP’s wanted they could split whenever they want. Either they don’t have the will or they don’t think the time is right. Labour is done though, that’s correct. And yeah any new leftist party is gonna get attacked hard but they can’t actually stop the creation of one.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Heavy_D posted:

er, isn't that obviously a fake account in the screenshots - there's a 1 in the name instead of an i

her @ is in here

https://www.tvguidetime.com/actress/sue-mitchell-height-age-husband-biography-wiki-net-worth-17396.html

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Heavy_D posted:

The fact she deleted the tweet as soon as people picked up on it suggests not.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jarf posted:

this is true but the UK is so drat incompetent and unstable that anything could happen

however its about a thousand times more likely that some kind of Fascist Football Lads party takes over than a left one currently

and if the left did get into power the whole civil service and state apparatus would have a massive immune response, whereas fascism wouldnt really require any changes

but its not hopeful since as discussed, the people were offered two crappy leaders but one offering you nice things and one telling you your children would be dying on the floors of hospitals
they voted for pain overwhelmingly

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
just checking in to refresh my britpolitics, been too focused on the trump thread and

ah good good everything's still stupid here too carry on lads

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

serious question is the UK full of "keep calm and [x]" shirts like the US is

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i stopped following uk politics because it's too depressing lol. extremely grim poo poo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the american remake makes things too cheery and silly, its meant to be a black comedy damnit

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They were popular in the Cameron years when liberals could do a twee feelgood patriotism, but things of that nature died with Brexit

perc2
May 16, 2020

Where do you think it came from? The entire island is one gigantic Keep Calm shirt

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

perc2 posted:

Where do you think it came from? The entire island is one gigantic Keep Calm shirt

i didn't even know this was that big in the US, only here

perc2
May 16, 2020

Found this on the Wikipedia page, a billboard in DC. The slogan has definitely lost its popularity here but you can't knock it for being the perfect encapsulation of meek British servility: head down, don't challenge, keep moving citizen. I don't know how well your average American would respond to that kind of thing?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Communist Thoughts posted:

the american remake makes things too cheery and silly, its meant to be a black comedy damnit

not a bad analogy

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Maya Fey posted:

i stopped following uk politics because it's too depressing lol. extremely grim poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

perc2 posted:

Found this on the Wikipedia page, a billboard in DC. The slogan has definitely lost its popularity here but you can't knock it for being the perfect encapsulation of meek British servility: head down, don't challenge, keep moving citizen. I don't know how well your average American would respond to that kind of thing?

it definitely doesn't have that connotation here, almost a fun nonsense adaptable slogan that people who wore gangster looney tunes shirts in the 90s are wearing now

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

but its not hopeful since as discussed, the people were offered two crappy leaders but one offering you nice things and one telling you your children would be dying on the floors of hospitals
they voted for pain overwhelmingly

If the electorate is the one in the wrong, there’s not much fixing to do in a democracy. Prepare the nerve staples.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1322886257215709185

its really cool how keith contravened directly what the ehrc told labour to do wrt suspensions, lol
we had to do political interference, to save the labour party from political interference, something something, difficult decisions, something something, electability etc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Because you all chased him from one thread I read (this one) to another I read (UKMT) I feel the need to make you read the cretinous shite that therattle is posting

therattle posted:

My main issue with him is how long it took him to realise that there was a problem in the party. Sure, he condemned AS, but it was usually accompanied by a minimisation of the problem, and with the formulation "and all other forms of racism". To a Jew that is a bit like "All Lives Matter".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Take him back you cunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
more people are taking the bait in the D&D thread