Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

therattle posted:

Obviously I think he could/should have dealt with it better and quicker and I’m angry with him that he didn’t in part because it helped gently caress the party.

I'm damned if I can think about what he could have done differently though. Other than on day 1 saying "The Leaders office has no control over diciplinary matters, take it up with the General Secretary " and using that to preasure McNicol to actually apply the recomendations he's already been given... but I'm pretty sure that actually was said at the time, the press just chose to not report how those mechinisms work and act as if it was all on Corbyn's head (and imply it is his personal doing).

It "dragging on" is purely a mechinism of the press, if the press want a story to drag on they can make it be part of the national conversation for years, as long as new takes can be found. If if thousands die and billions of pounds are embezzled, it can be made to disapear in a week if the press have the consensus to bury it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
To bring everyone together during these dark times I'd like you all to join me to clap for the conservatives. Sarcastically.
Thursday, 8pm sharp.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s pretty funny that the Guardian were clearly starting to back away from the Corbyn hate since this whole thing was an obvious gently caress up and then the Observer rolls in drunk to shout “BUT IF HE’S NOT A NAZI WHY DO WE KEEP SAYING HE IS?!”

Liberal writer runs into shot, screaming: "THE GUARDIAN AND THE OBSERVER ARE DIFFERENT NEWSPAPERS ACTUALLY"

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Buried in the new guidelines it turns out that Extremely Vulnerable people have been strongly advised to stay at home. Might be nice for at least one journalist to point this out. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nat...rom-coronavirus

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

forkboy84 posted:

Liberal writer runs into shot, screaming: "THE GUARDIAN AND THE OBSERVER ARE DIFFERENT NEWSPAPERS ACTUALLY"

"I've even written an article in the Observer about how different they are!"
"Ok, where's the article?"
"www.guardian.co.uk/..."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

No nut november is a loving terrible idea. Worst idea humanity ever had.
They take it seriously in America.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds painful

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

I was pretty careful in my last post to not reopen the argument about where fault lay with the whole AS thing: it was more about how it was perceived and the effect it had. A lot of people don’t care that much about AS but thought that Corbyn’s inability to deal with it (whether through lack of desire or sabotage depending on one’s standpoint - not going into it) reflected badly on him as a leader. The longer it dragged on (deliberately or otherwise) the worse he looked. If you subscribe to the sabotage theory, then it worked as planned.

I didn’t think that this would be particularly controversial.

Obviously I think he could/should have dealt with it better and quicker and I’m angry with him that he didn’t in part because it helped gently caress the party.
The EHRC report literally says he tried to speed up and seek harsher punishments - it's criticism is only over whether he should or shouldn't have. There's an entire episode of Panorama detailing how a PLP chud held up AS investigations to make him look bad. The Labour leaks show the bulk of the party mechanisms were working against him and actively threw the election to get him out.

At what point does this enter your mind as fact and stop being 'like, just your opinion man?' How could he have 'dealt with it better' exactly?

Honestly your core arguments read like a climate denier who is wilfully conflating opinion with fact. The reason people are getting frustrated with you is because you don't seem to be able to grasp this.

By 'not reopening the argument' or reframing it as an argument between two equal sides, you are reinforcing the idea that there is an argument. There isn't. There's misinformation and there are verifiable evidence based facts.

That's what we're trying to talk about and you keep bringing up impressions and accusations.

therattle posted:

I think it’s less “is antisemitic” and more “didn’t address this issue quickly enough”. (Yes, I know the consensus here is that it wasn’t his fault). I don’t think that many Britons care that deeply about AS; it was more the perception that he failed to address something bad.
Even if you're just talking about the perception that he is complicit, you're doing it in a way that reinforces the narrative. Like I said before, we're talking about events and facts, you're repeating this grey miasma that Corbyn is linked to antisemitism because everyone says he is.

The McCarthyist idea of the big lie is that someone makes an accusation, and then everyone repeats the accusation, and then eventually it doesn't matter if there was ever any evidence for the accusation, because everyone is now repeating the accusation. The lie gets so big that it gains a hideous, lurching momentum of its own and the accusation becomes the evidence.

In a very real neurological sense these loops reinforce themselves until it's actively difficult for the brain to break out of them, causing an unpleasant and stressful cortisol release. Once the big lie has taken hold, people don't want to believe anything else.

What's worse is when the 'evidence' is complex, but a simple reading of it is allowed to reinforce the narrative. The EHRC report shafted Corbyn by putting that easily quotable bit in the abstract saying something like 'the party has an antisemitism problem and Corbyn broke the law intervening in cases inappropriately.' It doesn't matter that page 84 clears him of actually being antisemitic, or that his intervention was to expidite cases, or that there were absolutely zero accusations against him before 2015.

All people will read is the easy bit, and the papers then get to signal boost it, and then everyone is talking about how the EHRC *mumbles* Jimminy Crobbles *mumbles* labour antisemitism, knowing full well the connection that the average person on the street is going to make.

And if you try to point out the evidence, or correct anyone, nobody listens because 'everyone knows' Corbyn *mental blur* antisemitism. Even when there's no evidence for what everyone knows; like one of the funny misconceptions on QI, only it's the monstering of a compassionate human rights campaigner.

Again, I would recommend that you read into what Rachel Riley and Tracy Ann Obermann have been up to if you want to see examples of two media types who have 100% bought into this poo poo.

You could package up every act of racial justice Corbyn has been involved with in his long career, statements of support from non conservative aligned Jewish organisations, and they would mentally write it all off because it doesn't fit with their worldview, which is that Corbyn is antisemitic. And if you ask them for their evidence that he is, they'd either say 'of course he is, everyone says he is,' or quote a few minor incidents which rely on viewing them through the lens that he is already antisemitic.

That's the power of the big lie. It doesn't have to be right, it just has to get in there first.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 1, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You could package up every act of racial justice Corbyn has been involved with in his long career, statements of support from non conservative aligned Jewish organisations, and they would mentally write it all off because it doesn't fit with their worldview, which is that Corbyn is antisemitic. And if you ask them for their evidence that he is, they'd either say 'of course he is, everyone says he is,' or quote a few minor incidents which rely on viewing them through the lens that he is already antisemitic.

That's the power of the big lie. It doesn't have to be right, it just has to get in there first.
It'd probably make them angrier, as per this good two parter on bearing false witness.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Desiderata posted:

I'm damned if I can think about what he could have done differently though. Other than on day 1 saying "The Leaders office has no control over diciplinary matters, take it up with the General Secretary " and using that to preasure McNicol to actually apply the recomendations he's already been given... but I'm pretty sure that actually was said at the time, the press just chose to not report how those mechinisms work and act as if it was all on Corbyn's head (and imply it is his personal doing).

It "dragging on" is purely a mechinism of the press, if the press want a story to drag on they can make it be part of the national conversation for years, as long as new takes can be found. If if thousands die and billions of pounds are embezzled, it can be made to disapear in a week if the press have the consensus to bury it.

My main issue with him is how long it took him to realise that there was a problem in the party. Sure, he condemned AS, but it was usually accompanied by a minimisation of the problem, and with the formulation "and all other forms of racism". To a Jew that is a bit like "All Lives Matter". I accept that in some quarters whatever he did would never be enough, but that isn't the case across the board. Did he say that the leader's office has no influence over disciplinary matters and to take it up with McNichol? Did he say "Our discpilinary processes are clearly inadequate to deal with this problem, and I have asked McNichol as a matter of urgency to reform them". No, because I don't believe he cared about the issue that much, as he has a problem seeing leftist antisemitism. I also think it was bad politics. This is perceived as an issue, so I must take steps to be perceived as addressing it - rather than simply refusing to acknowledge it properly.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The EHRC report literally says he tried to speed up and seek harsher punishments - it's criticism is only over whether he should or shouldn't have. There's an entire episode of Panorama detailing how a PLP chud held up AS investigations to make him look bad. The Labour leaks show the bulk of the party mechanisms were working against him and actively threw the election to get him out.

At what point does this enter your mind as fact and stop being 'like, just your opinion man?' How could he have 'dealt with it better' exactly?

Honestly your core arguments read like a climate denier who is wilfully conflating opinion with fact. The reason people are getting frustrated with you is because you don't seem to be able to grasp this.

By 'not reopening the argument' or reframing it as an argument between two equal sides, you are reinforcing the idea that there is an argument. There isn't. There's misinformation and there are verifiable evidence based facts.

That's what we're trying to talk about and you keep bringing up impressions and accusations.

Even if you're just talking about the perception that he is complicit, you're doing it in a way that reinforces the narrative. Like I said before, we're talking about events and facts, you're repeating this grey miasma that Corbyn is linked to antisemitism because everyone says he is.

The McCarthyist idea of the big lie is that someone makes an accusation, and then everyone repeats the accusation, and then eventually it doesn't matter if there was ever any evidence for the accusation, because everyone is now repeating the accusation. The lie gets so big that it gains a hideous, lurching momentum of its own and the accusation becomes the evidence.

In a very real neurological sense these loops reinforce themselves until it's actively difficult for the brain to break out of them, causing an unpleasant and stressful cortisol release. Once the big lie has taken hold, people don't want to believe anything else.

What's worse is when the 'evidence' is complex, but a simple reading of it is allowed to reinforce the narrative. The EHRC report shafted Corbyn by putting that easily quotable bit in the abstract saying something like 'the party has an antisemitism problem and Corbyn broke the law intervening in cases inappropriately.' It doesn't matter that page 84 clears him of actually being antisemitic, or that his intervention was to expidite cases, or that there were absolutely zero accusations against him before 2015.

All people will read is the easy bit, and the papers then get to signal boost it, and then everyone is talking about how the EHRC *mumbles* Jimminy Crobbles *mumbles* labour antisemitism, knowing full well the connection that the average person on the street is going to make.

And if you try to point out the evidence, or correct anyone, nobody listens because 'everyone knows' Corbyn *mental blur* antisemitism. Even when there's no evidence for what everyone knows; like one of the funny misconceptions on QI, only it's the monstering of a compassionate human rights campaigner.

Again, I would recommend that you read into what Rachel Riley and Tracy Ann Obermann have been up to if you want to see examples of two media types who have 100% bought into this poo poo.

I've never said that he was personally AS, but a lot of his close associates are and he has a problem recognising it, and thus addressing it within the party. The leaked report clearly acknowledges that it was a problem in the party. It is also a fact that he took a long time to properly recognise it. Even his statement to the EHRC report tries to downplay the prevalence in the party. See post above for how to address it better. He didn't address it better because he didn't want to. He didn't see that it was an issue, and for too long the resignations of MPs and Lords, multiple personal testimonies of harassment etc were simply written off as Blairite smears.

There was AS in the party. Can you honestly say that Corbyn did all he could, from the get-go, to address it?

therattle fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 1, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

It was 12 years of this shite that laid the ground for the Tories to come in and start starving people and making them homeless imo

anyway what's the bloke at the end meant to be doing bad? he's shopping? :confused:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

crispix posted:

It was 12 years of this shite that laid the ground for the Tories to come in and start starving people and making them homeless imo

anyway what's the bloke at the end meant to be doing bad? he's shopping? :confused:

his crime is being alive, OP.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

Shopping in cash at a market stall rather than at a chain store. That's dodgy behaviour if I ever saw it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

crispix posted:

thats the point, they all look like normal people but beneath their human-like exterior theyr benefit FRAUDS and are about to be executed by the mysterions

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

i believe this is known as tucking

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It'd probably make them angrier, as per this good two parter on bearing false witness.
That was a very good read. I don't really have much of a take on it beyond that, but the second part of it sort of reminds me of (and I'm going to be very careful about this) one of the very few, small foundational ideas Jordan Peterson then built his idiocy upon - the idea that modern life has no great calling, no real point to it. But instead of going for a cause that needs help, like equality or climate change or worker's rights or bringing down capitalistic excess, people who feel pointless are being radicalised into climate skepticism, white supremacy, transphobia or resisting The Hard Left.

I have been increasingly worried over the last few years that the march of progress of human society has been about hacking and influencing human behaviour, and at some point a breakthrough was made by advertisers that has entirely hosed us. Sort of like the idea that what Derren Brown does for entertainment, other companies do for profit or for political power (which usually boils down to profit).

Like how the big lie relies on this 'well everybody knows' mentality that's almost impossible to break. And as the article you posted hypothesises, a lot of people don't eben care if it's true or not, they just want to be seen as virtuous by sharing and retweeting their opposition to this sort of thing. Which someone, somewhere is making money from.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005

therattle posted:

My main issue with him is how long it took him to realise that there was a problem in the party. Sure, he condemned AS, but it was usually accompanied by a minimisation of the problem, and with the formulation "and all other forms of racism". To a Jew that is a bit like "All Lives Matter". I accept that in some quarters whatever he did would never be enough, but that isn't the case across the board. Did he say that the leader's office has no influence over disciplinary matters and to take it up with McNichol? Did he say "Our discpilinary processes are clearly inadequate to deal with this problem, and I have asked McNichol as a matter of urgency to reform them". No, because I don't believe he cared about the issue that much, as he has a problem seeing leftist antisemitism. I also think it was bad politics. This is perceived as an issue, so I must take steps to be perceived as addressing it - rather than simply refusing to acknowledge it properly.

Err there was the whole Chakrabarti Inquiry which are the recommendations that you seek. He certainly did say the disciplinary process needed reforming, though perhaps he kept a foolish good faith in their work for far too long. The only thing he didn't do loud enough is call McNicol out by name. In retrospect he should have chucked McNicol under the bus as soon as it looked like he was stalling. It's the press that kept the fact that The Labour Leader personally doesn't control the party disciplinary process a niche minutia of party organisation for wonks, rather than a generally understood fact in this case. With that one extra fact, the whole shape of the issue changes.

It's almost as if deep concerns about the disciplinary process being run efficiencly and impartially - were not the driving factor behind the news coverage... And you'll notice they still aren't to this day.

He was both asked to interfere to solve the problem and confounded if he interfered - regardless of even if that interference was to ensure stronger punishment. It's mind-blowing the game that was played here.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

therattle posted:

I think possibly the addition of "and other forms of racism" could well be reflective of problems with anti-BAME racism in the party (and country) that also needed addressing and seems to have been a bit swept under the rug with the AS problem. Recall that Dianne Abbott got more harassment in the 2017 election than *every other MP put together* and that the leaked report also highlighted this issue (IIRC). I get that it feels tone deaf when he was being asked about AS specifically, but there's a reasonable argument that the whole problem needs tackling and he was attempting (poorly, I'd agree) to get the media to talk about the wider problem.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Desiderata posted:

one goes to war with the enemies one has, not the enemies one wishes one had, so to speak

it's possible to reject this on principle and say: never compromise. No to electoralism and triangulation - but certainly Corbyn cannot be said to have stood on principle for numerous other domestic issues during his leadership. Choosing Western-imperialism topics to make a sharp stand - to take out a view that is defensible on the left, but undeniably provocative - was always a recurring Corbyn theme. Recall back when Corbyn was handed the first of many, many softballs throughout this episode, when the Chakrabarti report landed, and the report is great and gives Corbyn a way to wriggle out of the earlier Shah/Walker/Livingstone "crisis? What crisis?" debacle, and then Corbyn takes the report launch press briefing as an opportunity to equivocate between the Netanyahu government and ISIS

this is not the behaviour of someone who wants to avoid dragging it out - that is what one does if one wants to 'start a conversation', as the parlance goes.

it is possible to put down these issues - recall e.g. that both Corbyn and McDonnell were soon hit by criticisms over their various remarks on the Irish peace process early in their respective positions. Compare McDonnell defusing what one might think to be an utterly disastrous remark:

quote:

McDonnell issued his apology after senior members of the shadow cabinet expressed unease about his comments on the IRA. In 2003, he said at an event remembering the death of the IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands: “It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA. Because of the bravery of the IRA and people like Bobby Sands, we now have a peace process.”

The shadow chancellor, who looked upset by the hurt caused by his remarks, issued his apology after an audience member described him as an “IRA terrorist sympathiser”. McDonnell said: “In 2003 we were trying to impress upon all sides that we should sign the peace process, the Good Friday agreement. At one point in time it looked as though we were going to lose the peace process. There was a potential for the republican movement to split, there were many that were arguing they would continue what they described as the armed struggle.

“I went out and argued for the peace process and I made this speech to a group of republicans because one of the problems we had is that if there was a feeling that they were defeated or humiliated – and this was on both sides – they would not stand down. So I made this speech and I urged them to put their weapons away and to participate in the peace process. It was a difficult time.

“I think my choice of words was wrong. I accept that. I should not have said the issue about the honouring. I actually said afterwards that there is no cause that justifies the loss of life in this way. What I tried to do for both sides is to give them a way out with some form of dignity otherwise they wouldn’t lay their arms down.

“I accept it was a mistake to use those words. But if it contributed towards saving one life or preventing someone else being maimed it was worth doing because we did hold on to the peace process. There was a real risk of the republican movement splitting and some of them continuing with the armed process.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/18/john-mcdonnell-apologises-for-ira-comment-labour

to Corbyn, around the same time, not doing that:

quote:

Stephen Nolan quotes the Daily Telegraph in June. "This is a man who sympathised with violent Irish republicanism in the 80s, invited IRA representatives to the Commons a fortnight after the Brighton bombing in 1984 and at a Troops Out meeting in 1987 he stood for a moment's silence for eight IRA terrorists killed in an SAS ambush". How do you respond to that.

Jeremy Corbyn: Quite simply I maintained contact with Sinn Fein and believed that there had to be a political, not a military, solution to the situation in Northern Ireland. The British government developed that process, the Labour Party developed that process and eventually we had agreement between the SDLP and Sinn Fein which was the important step forward and then the historic agreement between the generality of the unionists and the generality of the republican movement. We got the two ceasefires and eventually the Belfast Agreement. Northern Ireland has taught the whole world an awful lot about resolving conflict by understanding the historical process of both communities.

SN: But let me understand what you stand for and (what) your attitude is, for example, towards the IRA? Are you sympathetic to what they were doing?

JC: My point was always that there had to be a political peace process to avoid the violence, to avoid the bloodshed and avoid the deaths. It was that whole direction I wanted things moved in and, as I said earlier, the great achievement of the two ceasefires and then the Belfast Agreement is something that we can all move forward on.

SN: But do you condemn what the IRA did?

JC: I condemn all bombing, it is not a good idea, and it is terrible what happened.

SN: The question is do you condemn what the IRA did?

JC: Look I condemn what was done by the British Army as well as the other sides as well. What happened in Derry in 1972 was pretty devastating as well.

SN: Do you distinguish between State forces like the British Army and the IRA?

JC: Well in a sense the treatment of IRA prisoners which made them into virtual political prisoners suggested that the British government and the State saw some kind of almost equivalency. I mean my point is that the whole violence was terrible, was appalling, and came out of a process that had been allowed to fester in Northern Ireland for a very long time and surely we can move on a bit and look towards the achievements of the peace process in moving things forward.

SN: But if you are a potential candidate for the Prime Minister of the UK Jeremy it is fair for me to push you one more time. Are you prepared to condemn what the IRA did?

JC: What it is fair to push me on is how we take the peace process forward ...

SN: Are you prepared to condemn what the IRA did?

JC Can I answer the question in this way? We gained ceasefires, they were important and a huge step forward. Those ceasefires brought about the peace process, brought about the reconciliation process which we should all be pleased about. Can we take the thing forward rather than backward?

SN: Are you refusing to condemn what the IRA did?

JC: (RAILWAY NOISE) Sorry I couldn't hear that.

SN: (more noise) Are you refusing to condemn what the IRA did?

JC: I feel we will have to do this later you know. (NOISE STOPS)

SN: Well let me just ask you this last question while it is quiet there. Are you refusing to condemn what the IRA did? (line goes dead)

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/jeremy-corbyn-the-artful-dodger-a-transcript-of-his-nolan-interview-31430884.html

The difference is this: McD sets out to convince listeners today - a good swathe of which, let's be real here, would struggle to recall any part of the peace process twenty years ago - that whatever views he might have had in the distant past of 2003, he never meant it even at the time. Whereas Corbyn sets out to reiterate a position that was controversial even in 1997 and then to assert that he was right all along and he still stands by #allbombsmatter today. What about Bloody Sunday! What about Bloody Sunday. It is very important to me that I, the new Leader of the Labour Party, win this argument with Stephen Nolan on left-wing terms!

This is, to be clear, only how one would behave if one wants 1) everyone with an axe to grind since the 1980s to pop out of the woodwork 2) voters to believe that your position back then is still salient on your behaviour today as future Prime Minister, because you're right out there telling them that your position still matters.

This was always a recurring Corbyn tic on Western-imperialism issues - having to be dragged kicking and screaming to the party position (initially blamed on excessively Blairite party apparatchiks - but even after replacing the entire NEC with left-wing loyalists, still engaging in this behaviour), and once there, doing one's level best to use the Leader's podium to provoke debate. Well, congratulations: debate successfully provoked. Better win it. After all - one isn't just a backbencher in a safe Labour seat now, one is Leader of the whole party...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

Sure, he condemned AS, but it was usually accompanied by a minimisation of the problem, and with the formulation "and all other forms of racism". To a Jew that is a bit like "All Lives Matter".
That is a good point I hadn't thought of - however it still doesn't account for the severity of the narrative levvied against him. It's another point where the reader would have to already be biased against him to attribute it to malice rather than unawareness.

therattle posted:

There was AS in the party. Can you honestly say that Corbyn did all he could, from the get-go, to address it?
The report specifically states that he went above and beyond his legal responsibilities, breaking equalities law to expidite the cases Sam Matthews was stalling on.

If you're going to keep dodging this point, this is why people are going to see you as arguing in bad faith.

E: And as has already been pointed out, just because the hostile press weren't reporting on something, doesn't mean he wasn't saying it. To answer your question clearly yes, I think he was doing everything in his power, and even a little beyond it.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 1, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Skeletome posted:

god I'm starting to get all terrified about covid again

I've been safe and my parents are safe, but I know my friends are off galivanting

my partner went to a house party of 8 last night, and I know that's not big, but also I'm terrible at putting my foot down over these things

I know it may be hard, but put that foot down.
To be harsh, you could be dead in a week from your partner going to that party.
Dying alone, lungs filled with fluids, either huffing farewell messages over zoom or being told that you will wake up soon from the ventilator and never doing so, chucked into a sealed coffin, and rushed into the ground asap.
But thats ok as long as someone had a few tins of Carlsberg while listening to someone elses crap taste in music for a few hours.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ronya posted:

one goes to war with the enemies one has, not the enemies one wishes one had, so to speak

it's possible to reject this on principle and say: never compromise. No to electoralism and triangulation - but certainly Corbyn cannot be said to have stood on principle for numerous other domestic issues during his leadership. Choosing Western-imperialism topics to make a sharp stand - to take out a view that is defensible on the left, but undeniably provocative - was always a recurring Corbyn theme. Recall back when Corbyn was handed the first of many, many softballs throughout this episode, when the Chakrabarti report landed, and the report is great and gives Corbyn a way to wriggle out of the earlier Shah/Walker/Livingstone "crisis? What crisis?" debacle, and then Corbyn takes the report launch press briefing as an opportunity to equivocate between the Netanyahu government and ISIS

this is not the behaviour of someone who wants to avoid dragging it out - that is what one does if one wants to 'start a conversation', as the parlance goes.

it is possible to put down these issues - recall e.g. that both Corbyn and McDonnell were soon hit by criticisms over their various remarks on the Irish peace process early in their respective positions. Compare McDonnell defusing what one might think to be an utterly disastrous remark:

to Corbyn, around the same time, not doing that:

The difference is this: McD sets out to convince listeners today - a good swathe of which, let's be real here, would struggle to recall any part of the peace process twenty years ago - that whatever views he might have had in the distant past of 2003, he never meant it even at the time. Whereas Corbyn sets out to reiterate a position that was controversial even in 1997 and then to assert that he was right all along and he still stands by #allbombsmatter today. What about Bloody Sunday! What about Bloody Sunday. It is very important to me that I, the new Leader of the Labour Party, win this argument with Stephen Nolan on left-wing terms!

This is, to be clear, only how one would behave if one wants 1) everyone with an axe to grind since the 1980s to pop out of the woodwork 2) voters to believe that your position back then is still salient on your behaviour today as future Prime Minister, because you're right out there telling them that your position still matters.

This was always a recurring Corbyn tic on Western-imperialism issues - having to be dragged kicking and screaming to the party position (initially blamed on excessively Blairite party apparatchiks - but even after replacing the entire NEC with left-wing loyalists, still engaging in this behaviour), and once there, doing one's level best to use the Leader's podium to provoke debate. Well, congratulations: debate successfully provoked. Better win it. After all - one isn't just a backbencher in a safe Labour seat now, one is Leader of the whole party...

This is a fantastic post and articulates what I’ve been saying about McDonnell being a much more astute politician than Corbyn, and that the strong feeling was that Corbyn didn’t want to resolve this until it was too late. How do you think it feels to a Jew to see this happening?

G1mby posted:

I think possibly the addition of "and other forms of racism" could well be reflective of problems with anti-BAME racism in the party (and country) that also needed addressing and seems to have been a bit swept under the rug with the AS problem. Recall that Dianne Abbott got more harassment in the 2017 election than *every other MP put together* and that the leaked report also highlighted this issue (IIRC). I get that it feels tone deaf when he was being asked about AS specifically, but there's a reasonable argument that the whole problem needs tackling and he was attempting (poorly, I'd agree) to get the media to talk about the wider problem.

Right. Tone-deaf. Apart from being distressing, and feeling like he’s dodging the specific issue, it’s bad politics. Did Abbott receive harassment from within the party as well as without?

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

therattle posted:

Right. Tone-deaf. Apart from being distressing, and feeling like he’s dodging the specific issue, it’s bad politics. Did Abbott receive harassment from within the party as well as without?

Yeah, it's in the leaked report as I recall.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

therattle posted:

Did Abbott receive harassment from within the party as well as without?

As per the internal investigation, blairites were falling over themselves to leak to the press when & where she was crying in a stall.

I believe there were other examples, but that one stood out to me as rancid.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how hard do you have to be clutching at straws when your main attack on Corbyn is “he didn’t condemn antisemitism, he condemned antisemitism and other forms of racism too :qq:

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

therattle posted:

Large amounts of explicitly racist abuse, yes.

Julio Cruz posted:

how hard do you have to be clutching at straws when your main attack on Corbyn is “he didn’t condemn antisemitism, he condemned antisemitism and other forms of racism too :qq:

Particularly in the context of the Blairite war against Muslims. Probably important to ensure that the ethnicity that the party had previously been disappearing into torture camps doesn't feel sidelined in the "fighting racism" mission.

Active Quasar fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 1, 2020

Desiderata
May 25, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That is a good point I hadn't thought of - however it still doesn't account for the severity of the narrative levvied against him. It's another point where the reader would have to already be biased against him to attribute it to malice rather than unawareness.

It's not a good point. Black Lives matter as a phrase exists to make it clear that structurally black peoples lives are treated as if they do not matter, and the phrase exists to draw attention to that. All lives matter is a ways of saying there is no problem and exists to erase the explicit attention drawing of the first phrase, it exists a right wing signifier. "AntiSemitism and all other forms of racism are abhorent", is saying that Anti-Semitism, a term a worrying number of people did not have in their lexicon untill recently, is a type or racism, and ensuring that it is catagorised and treated as a type of racism and viewed as seriously as a type of racism in the minds of the Corbyn left who are concerned about such things. It is litterally the kind of thing people would be calling on Corbyn to say, if he had indeed not indeed been saying it.

"Why won't you call Anti-Semitism what it is: racism! Mr Corbyn?" Andrew Marr leans in, looking serious.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 1, 2020

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Julio Cruz posted:

To be fair, I'll agree that it can come across as a bit "All lives matter". And while we can probably say that BAME targeted or Islamophobia or anti-traveller racism may be a larger problem in British society as a whole than AS that's not (as it appears from therattle) how it should be addressed when you are being asked about AS in particular. There is, after all, plenty of time to discuss those in different settings.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

G1mby posted:

To be fair, I'll agree that it can come across as a bit "All lives matter". And while we can probably say that BAME targeted or Islamophobia or anti-traveller racism may be a larger problem in British society as a whole than AS that's not (as it appears from therattle) how it should be addressed when you are being asked about AS in particular. There is, after all, plenty of time to discuss those in different settings.

Weirdly enough the time to discuss those in different settings never materialised.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Huh, I had an ex from Bay City.

She did not turn my cock back, that I can recall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember the big THE COMPUTER KNOWS adverts they did for car tax just before they stopped making you need discs.

Like one step removed from a Paranoia game.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Shopping information update:

I’ve been doing availability of slots and veg box subscription checks through the whole of coronavirus and with the slots I’m only seeing a small increase in bookings so this panic buying hashtag has to be bullshit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I went to the shops today for work and I would certainly suggest people are panicking a bit, it was absolutely packed for a sunday.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh what I’m seeing indicates a few people doing the weekly shop before Thursday, and also people who “don’t trust the internet with my credit card!” are out but the increase in slot capacity the supermarkets introduced is holding. You can get delivery slots tomorrow for Sainsbury’s, Morrison’s however seem to have taken blocks of slots out of circulation this time round.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The stores seemed to be struggling for staff which didn't help, I think a lot are isolating or sick at the moment.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The press have tried and succeeded in creating a hierarchy of racism so I'm glad that Corbyn kept condemning all kinds of racism.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

G1mby posted:

if these other forms of racism are just as prevalent (or even more so) in society and in the party then why was Corbyn asked about antisemitism all the loving time and never about the others? surely a media that genuinely gave a poo poo about racism and discrimination as a whole would want those to be sorted out too, right?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lidl was fairly quiet here.

Of course, there is going to be a massive class element to this - the people who can afford to stockpile are the middle classes. Those are also the people with the space at home to store a stockpile and a car to transport said stockpile to said home. Hence why Waitrose and Tesco got cleaned out first, then Karen brought herself to the low of shudder shopping in ASDA with the proles so they got wiped out, and the little ethnic supermarkets around me had pretty much everything except yeast throughout the last lockdown because brown people and labels in foreign are scary.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If I were going out shopping I’d go for one of the bigger Tesco’s and Sainsbury’s with the scanner/phone app and *dedicated* tills maybe an hour before closing. Hopefully the supermarkets don’t act like colossal tits and shorten the opening hours again.

*There tends to be a backlog when they are shared with the checkouts you put stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Julio Cruz posted:

if these other forms of racism are just as prevalent (or even more so) in society and in the party then why was Corbyn asked about antisemitism all the loving time and never about the others? surely a media that genuinely gave a poo poo about racism and discrimination as a whole would want those to be sorted out too, right?

Right - I don't think the media does give a poo poo, and that a lot of this was a stick to beat Corbyn with. I'm sympathising with therattle here - they thought it was tone deaf and I can see how it came across like that. A party that was managing to lead the narrative might have had better luck pushing the other anti-racist messages, but I agree that the media may well have not allowed that. It's possible both things can be true, that Corbyn just wasn't personally good at getting the point across (which left him vulnerable to the media) and the media had it out for him anyway. Could Big John have done better? Maybe, and I'm sorry we'll likely never get to find out.