Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
playing red faction guerilla remarstered (stupid-rear end name) and it's reminding me how ridiculously overtuned the timed side-missions are

there's one that makes you drive a vehicle clear from one end of the map to the other with maybe a fifteen-second grace period, if you spin out once then you're hosed. and that's very likely, since every car in that game handles like an inflatable shopping cart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The thing bringing Bloodborne down for me is the lack of build variety. Bloodtinge isn't viable until Castle Cainhurst and your'e almost 2/3rds through the game before Arcane becomes useful, and you have to be pumping the useless "arcane" stat the entire game because the best spell takes likes 60 arcane to use.

Absolutely agree with Bloodtinge, although you still need a secondary offensive stat so you can build a mediocre STR/DEX build with above average gun attacks, then get the canon/chaingun/chikage. If you went for Strength and want the Bloodletter you're gonna have an even shittier time though...

Arcane, however, becomes viable way earlier than people think. Granted, you have to know your way around the game a bit, but you can get really good fire gems in the first Chalice Dungeons (so right after BSB) that will make most of the game actually easier than with the equivalent STR or DEX build. It's true that the cool Arcane toys come too late in the game, but the build itself is still fun on the way there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The sad thing is the Threaded Cane scales with the ARC stat but it doesn't do any arcane damage, so increasing your ARC doesn't benefit it at all unless you use gems to make it into an arcane weapon. The real thing dragging all the Souls games down is that split damage sucks and has always sucked and they've never fixed it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Nov 2, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just got to a point where the triple-character system in GTAV finally has some good gameplay, doing a coordinated mission where I'm swapping between the characters piloting, sniping, and going in to do the mission objective. Nice, but the very next time the system pops up I'm driving along and answer a random phone call. Now there's a big flashing "SWITCH TO MICHAEL" animation that won't go away and it's disabled starting other missions. gently caress off, game, I wanted to go fly a plane. Don't give me this "go anywhere, do anything" setup and then just force me into starting a mission without me specifically planning it :arghfist:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The best part of Arcane builds is assisting other players with bosses. Like, I’d go full broccoli, get summoned to help with Ebrietas or whatever, then kill her in a few castings of A Call Beyond while the player I assisted barely managed to even hit her once

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The sad thing is the Threaded Cane scales with the ARC stat but it doesn't do any arcane damage, so increasing your ARC doesn't benefit it at all unless you use gems to make it into an arcane weapon. The real thing dragging all the Souls games down is that split damage sucks and has always sucked and they've never fixed it.

Every weapon lists an arcane scaling. That's just what the scaling will be if you change the weapon to deal elemental damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rodbeard posted:

Every weapon lists an arcane scaling. That's just what the scaling will be if you change the weapon to deal elemental damage.

Makes sense. I was thinking of the Blades of Mercy, which scales with ARC but cannot be made to deal arcane damage via buffs or gems (or any element for that matter iirc). In that weapon's case I think the ARC scaling goes toward the physical damage, but who knows, maybe it does nothing.

edit: I looked it up, Blades of Mercy does do a little bit of natural arcane damage which I guess is why you can't buff it or change its element. Three cheers for gaining insight.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Nov 2, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
If From Software made dual attribute scaling good, they might accidentally make dedicated sorcery builds good, and that's the last thing they ever want to do.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hex builds were insane in darksouls two base. Then they spent every patch and dlc nerfing the hell outta them. Demon's souls is also a total cakewalk with a sorcery build.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gaius Marius posted:

Hex builds were insane in darksouls two base. Then they spent every patch and dlc nerfing the hell outta them. Demon's souls is also a total cakewalk with a sorcery build.

Yeah, dedicated sorcery builds steadily got worse with every Souls game. Really strong in Demon's, impressive but with big weaknesses in Dark 1, a niche that gradually got nerfed in Dark 2, and basically an insult to its players in Dark 3.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Sonic Unleashed for the Xbox 360: Sonic controls too slippery and moves too fast for precise movements.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, dedicated sorcery builds steadily got worse with every Souls game. Really strong in Demon's, impressive but with big weaknesses in Dark 1, a niche that gradually got nerfed in Dark 2, and basically an insult to its players in Dark 3.

Do we know how faithful of a remake the PS5 Demon Souls is gonna be? I want to be around for the absolute amount of TEARS there will be if the scraping spear comes back in it's full glory.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The souls series desperately needs an option to respec.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Nov 2, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The Shame Boy posted:

Do we know how faithful of a remake the PS5 Demon Souls is gonna be? I want to be around for the absolute amount of TEARS there will be if the scraping spear comes back in it's full glory.

Polygon's got an article specifically about this, but it's largely confirming things people already knew.

We know that the core game is remaining largely the same, with some new items, and the bulk of the game, including stuff like World Tendency, is remaining. They've said they aren't introducing new areas that weren't in the original game (like, say, the world cut from the final game), but trailers have also shown some suspiciously 'not in Demon's Souls' things, so it's not clear.

But sorcery in a Souls game lives or dies on things so minor that they wouldn't warrant a pre-release mention; things like monster resistances and stat scaling. Most likely it'll still be just as good, but with the general 'good levels' of different builds shifting around based on some of the new pieces, but I think the most likely change to any of it would be sorcery somehow getting knocked off its pedestal.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Divine Divinity
The dungeons are way too long and boring. Just endless streams of small rooms with a handful of enemies and nothing interesting going on. I've only done 3 dungeons so far but they've all been two to three times as long as they should have been. Maybe it's made worse that I chose to play a mage and there's no mana regen but I can just teleport to a bed and rest almost whenever I want. So it's just clear 2-3 rooms teleport to a bed and rest, rinse repeat for 3 hours to finish 1 dungeon. On the other hand sometimes the bed just tells me now is no time to rest for some reason, I suspect it's a cooldown on sleeping but I've not bothered to confirm, but that's also dumb.

Also every game ever:
If you display a number that is more than 4 digits long you need to add some sort of unit grouping. I don't care if you choose spaces, commas, periods or whatever but add something for fucks sake. If I have 5232349 gold do I have 500k or 5mil or 50 mil? No way to be sure with out counting. 5 232 349 oh look suddenly I know instantly. I hate how common this problem is in games.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cleretic posted:

including stuff like World Tendency, is remaining

Definitely posted in the right thread

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pathfinder Kingmaker has awful scaling for random encounters and seems specifically designed to be a CRPG that hates you. I don't know what the challenge rating is for a Venomous Chimera that naturally is extremely hard to hit but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be fighting a pack of them at 5th level. It also has a problem where it autosaves at the start of a random encounter so you better loving hope that it's an encounter that you can bash your head against until you win because god loving knows when your last save was.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Death Stranding

There's a bit just after the halfway-point where Mads Mikkelson ambushes you in a Great War trench while flanked by a gang of skeleton soldiers.

Up until now the game was balanced on Hard, since difficulty only affected damage numbers while the actual challenge was about logistics and traversal. You only get a Game Over if your cargo gets destroyed. The regular obstacles like the ghosts, acid-rain, and psychotic postmen can be easily navigated around or neutralised.

But when Mads and the skeleton lads come along the game turns into a clumsy third-person shooter. If you die you don't lose your way for a bit, you get sent back to a checkpoint. It feels like a very typical setpiece in a very atypical game. Dropping the difficulty to Easy for this segment feels like a bandaid, it could have been better handled since there where no gunfiights before this point.

That's easily the hardest part of the game and the worst of those odd setpiece fights - without spoiling anything there are two more and they're significantly easier. I died 10-20 times on the first one and 0 times on the next two.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Metroid Federation Force was hated on release because it was a spinoff to a series that hadn't seen a proper game in nine years. Nobody would have cared were it made in the franchise's heydey, like the pinball and multiplayer spinoffs, but it failed to read the room and promptly tanked. It also didnt help that the character of Samus Aran was again handled in an embrassing manner.

What other examples are there of a belated spinoff striking the wrong chord long before release and then never escaping the label, regardless of quality? Of course there's the DMC reboot nobody wanted, the XCOM shooter, and the Metal Gear asset-flip.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Metroid Federation Force was hated on release because it was a spinoff to a series that hadn't seen a proper game in nine years. Nobody would have cared were it made in the franchise's heydey, like the pinball and multiplayer spinoffs, but it failed to read the room and promptly tanked. It also didnt help that the character of Samus Aran was again handled in an embrassing manner.

What other examples are there of a belated spinoff striking the wrong chord long before release and then never escaping the label, regardless of quality? Of course there's the DMC reboot nobody wanted, the XCOM shooter, and the Metal Gear asset-flip.

Left Alive, the 2019 flop that tried to look like a Metal Gear spiritual successor, that was actually a Front Mission sequel. And sunk the entire franchise, because they pulled the 'we're using this entirely unrelated, terrible game that's nothing like this classic series to gauge if people are still interested in the classic series'.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Syndicate FPS
King's Quest 8 was a 3D action-adventure rather than a point & click

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It has a hidden +15% damage against beasts modifier and scales really well with fire.

The Hunters Axe has the r2 "Spin to Win" attack, no one should ever use anything else.

The thing bringing Bloodborne down for me is the lack of build variety. Bloodtinge isn't viable until Castle Cainhurst and your'e almost 2/3rds through the game before Arcane becomes useful, and you have to be pumping the useless "arcane" stat the entire game because the best spell takes likes 60 arcane to use.

Drake sword user spotted

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Oxxidation posted:

playing red faction guerilla remarstered (stupid-rear end name) and it's reminding me how ridiculously overtuned the timed side-missions are

there's one that makes you drive a vehicle clear from one end of the map to the other with maybe a fifteen-second grace period, if you spin out once then you're hosed. and that's very likely, since every car in that game handles like an inflatable shopping cart

That's EXACTLY where I stopped playing a few months ago, gently caress that mission
If you find a cheat to skip that let me know, I loving hate racing missions in non-racing games they always suck rear end

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Federation Force would've been infinitely better if it was a Republic Commando-style FPS.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Len posted:

I've not actually looked anything up about Death Stranding and just know it's a weird delivery game

This post definitely makes me want to go look into this more

Wait til you hear about just how the game disincentivises gunfights.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shadow of Mordor had the one selling point that was the Nemesis System, while the rest of the game was standard open-world guff which barely meshed with it. I can say that the sequel as played in 2020 is a big improvement since pretty much every mission connects with the Nemesis System. No more goddamn herb-picking or Outcast rescues either.

What games nailed their central mechanic but then fumbled or phoned in everything else? Red Faction Guerrilla is remembered for its destructo-physics but, as said before on this page, hated for its stringent racing missions. I really liked the creature-mechanic from Black and White back in the day but, becuase the game was both rushed and directed by Peter Molyneux, it gets rendered useless in the last chapter. I miss that cow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Diablo mobile phone game? Though that one hasn't even been released yet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nosgoth lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter was a big departure from the style of the previous games and though I feel like its reputation is better today (personally I feel it is a truly excellent game that fits a mold that Capcom is really good at), it still gets some vitriol every now and then since it is accused of killing the franchise (when the reality is that Breath of Fire was never a big seller to begin with).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does Other M count?

I feel like Brutal Legend did this to itself by disguising itself as a 3rd person action adventure game when the meat of it was actually an RTS, when that genre was already on the way out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not entirely the same thing, but the Castlevania game "Harmony of Despair" kind of fits that mold.

The first 2D Castlevania game on a console since Symphony of the Night, but...it's just a weird multiplayer game with existing assets.

Looks like the last "MetroidVania" style game was Order of Eccesia for DS in 2008, and then a remake of Castlevania" The Adventure for WiiWare in 2009, though that's more classic-style Castlevania, not MetroidVania-style.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

In a similar vein there’s a Vampire: The Masquerade battle royale that got leaked last week, something that no one has asked for.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Vandar posted:

In a similar vein there’s a Vampire: The Masquerade battle royale that got leaked last week, something that no one has asked for.

They fired the dudes who directed the first game, the sequel is in a tailspin.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Shadow of Mordor had the one selling point that was the Nemesis System, while the rest of the game was standard open-world guff which barely meshed with it. I can say that the sequel as played in 2020 is a big improvement since pretty much every mission connects with the Nemesis System. No more goddamn herb-picking or Outcast rescues either.

What games nailed their central mechanic but then fumbled or phoned in everything else? Red Faction Guerrilla is remembered for its destructo-physics but, as said before on this page, hated for its stringent racing missions. I really liked the creature-mechanic from Black and White back in the day but, becuase the game was both rushed and directed by Peter Molyneux, it gets rendered useless in the last chapter. I miss that cow.

I loved Shadow of Mordor- even though there was a lot of standard open world stuff, the Arkham-esque combat felt really tight and responsive. My only complaint about that one was how the decapitate command that actually kills a nemesis for good just wouldn't work about 50% of the time. I'd either press the command and he'd do a different move, or he would indeed decapitate the nemesis but then they'd somehow come back later. Dunno if this was an issue with all versions or just PS4.

I hated Shadow of War because of the combat. It just felt so loose and slippery- the opposite of what I remembered from the first one (I didn't play them back-to-back, but it sure felt way different and less precise). They also throw in so much stuff at once without gradually introducing concepts that I felt like I was just loosely slashing at everything and didn't know what to focus on. I'm sure the real thing most people would say is dragging it down is that whole part at the end where they try to force you into microtransactions, but I don't think I was even remotely close to that section of the game (or even halfway) because I dropped it pretty early on.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nuts and Bolts grew on me, but having it open as Banjo 3 and then bail on that and actively mock the people who wanted it was a bold choice

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Chibi Robo zip lash completely killed the franchise after multiple mismanaged games and was indeed, supposed to gauge interest in the franchise. It was a completely unremarkable platformer which played nothing like the previous entries; Oh and it had a level select that was a loving roulette wheel and you needed to go to every level to go to the next world, and yes you would have to redo a level if you landed on it.

The game is pretty dang putrid yes.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Srice posted:

it still gets some vitriol every now and then since it is accused of killing the franchise (when the reality is that Breath of Fire was never a big seller to begin with).

which is weird because BOF6 was a huge loving flop.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zoig posted:

Chibi Robo zip lash completely killed the franchise after multiple mismanaged games and was indeed, supposed to gauge interest in the franchise. It was a completely unremarkable platformer which played nothing like the previous entries; Oh and it had a level select that was a loving roulette wheel and you needed to go to every level to go to the next world, and yes you would have to redo a level if you landed on it.

The game is pretty dang putrid yes.

I didn't know Scott the Woz was a goon.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

The Moon Monster posted:

Does Other M count?

I feel like Brutal Legend did this to itself by disguising itself as a 3rd person action adventure game when the meat of it was actually an RTS, when that genre was already on the way out.

It's sad for Brutal Legend because this was entirely the result of EA marketing. Double Fine themselves were absolutely up-front that it was largely a strategy game, but were constantly being shouted over by the publisher. What really hurt it was the demo that was just the (entirely hack-and-slash) intro level with zero indication of what the other 90% of the game is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For people who don't know what this is, it was a team based multiplayer only shooter set in the Legacy of Kain universe. You know, the series that was praised for its strong writing and character work. Neither of which was very apparent in a game where you played as either a generic vampire monster or generic human.

To be fair to the XCOM shooter it probably would have been remembered better if they had kept the original premise of it being more of an adventure game where you're investigating alien encounters and running away when the aliens would actually show up. Instead of where it ended up, as a generic squad based third person shooter.