Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Whats on your list zero? I’m moving and actually looking to downsize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Legends HC is super cool.

I should really slow down on buying toys and knock off some of my HC collection.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Re: transmet and amazon. My fiance went hard last year and got me all 3 absolute volumes for my birthday, and i think it ran 75 a pop? It was from Amazon and they actually all came pristine, but i really havent had amazon issues. Being 2 hrs from the Indianapolis shipping point may help i dont know.

Now im chasing hickmans avengers omni volume 2 and yikes

You should hug her tight tonight, that vol 3 averages 300-400 right now. Lotta people with 1&2 that never got to complete the set. I know that's why I didn't bother but now that they decided to give it a black label reprint I'm tempted to trust DC making it to vol 3 again. I think I'm going to save the fifty and get the new print of vol 1,put the difference to another book entirely.

^burtle posted:

Whats on your list zero? I’m moving and actually looking to downsize.

My wants are all expensive and kinda wishful thinking but -
Absolute promethea vol 1, 2, 3
Absolute top ten
Absolute league 1&2
Rachel rising omni in hc (might cave and just go SC)

I'm a sucker for moore like a million other people and he's expensive to collect what with the recoil at the mention of the industry and all. At some point I'll post my moore shelf, it's been quite the money pit

E: and before anyone says anything I'm not just collecting anything with the last name moore, I'm aware Terry Moore is his own person.. I just really liked the book and I think I forgot to finish it up when it was coming out monthly (ish). I also dug echo and should really get on strangers in paradise already

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 2, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm not very fond of the Absolute format so I'm still waiting on the Transmet omnibus(es).

Any day now... :negative:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

JordanKai posted:

I'm not very fond of the Absolute format so I'm still waiting on the Transmet omnibus(es).

Any day now... :negative:

Since you wished for it now by law dc will either scrap plans or solicit it for 6 years in a row

I'm honestly nervous about the absolutes I have coming right now (swamp thing 1 & 2) after seeing how bad the vertigo first edition of volume one was in terms of quality control.. I should check the other ones I own. I'm going to be really mad if Daytripper has issues, kind of excited to re read that in a gorgeous book (please no whammies)

Everyone should read or own Daytripper btw, never thought that edition was actually going to be up for sale. Took 2 years (3 maybe?)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

Since you wished for it now by law dc will either scrap plans or solicit it for 6 years in a row

I'm honestly nervous about the absolutes I have coming right now (swamp thing 1 & 2) after seeing how bad the vertigo first edition of volume one was in terms of quality control.. I should check the other ones I own. I'm going to be really mad if Daytripper has issues, kind of excited to re read that in a gorgeous book (please no whammies)

Everyone should read or own Daytripper btw, never thought that edition was actually going to be up for sale. Took 2 years (3 maybe?)

Swamp Thing 1 is supposed to be fixed during this re-print. Daytripper has no issues that are widespread. My copy is good.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

obi_ant posted:

Swamp Thing 1 is supposed to be fixed during this re-print. Daytripper has no issues that are widespread. My copy is good.

Good to know on both counts. That 2019 run of volume 1 was sloppy. Like push it through vertigo as vertigo is set on fire sloppy. Really didn't want that to be the direction going forward. The only thing I heard prior to that book was v for vendetta has a weird spine problem where you have to manually shape it when you close the book.. Which is odd and why I'm dragging rear end on opening mine (reading that again is something I can wait to do for a few years and go after some backlog instead)

Unrelated I don't really buy omnis at all, the Martha Washington SC @600 or so pages was the biggest book I had but tpb size makes it less intimidating.. In my latest round of ordering I went for ex machina hc omni (1400 pgs) when I saw they were doing it as compendiums now and the big drat sin city (1300 pgs) when I saw its available again out of nowhere.. I don't think I'm prepared for these. Feeling like I'm going to stack them horizontal on the bottom shelf. I'm guessing that box is going to be a good 15 pounds

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 2, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Swamp Thing 1 is supposed to be fixed during this re-print.
What was wrong with the first edition?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Action Jacktion posted:

What was wrong with the first edition?

warped cover and really lovely binding are really common..if you youtube you can see people lamenting pages fully lifted off the spine...one of those do not buy videos shook me and i hesitated and that run vanished immediately.. unless you get a really cheap deal on it i wouldnt bother taking the gamble over the fixed reprint

i would love to know the story behind it, at&t cost cutting at the time?

oh and lets not forget at one point they canceled vol 2 to everyones horror before an eventual resolicit...i swear to god if they don't get the third volume out i'm done with dc trades

oo and i hate the recolor but that's a personal annoyance, ymmv

i have 14 books either on order or in transit right now...things, spiraled... fast. who wants to throw me an intervention

e2: convinced myself at least i'll never blind buy or buy something i have no interest in just to hope i can flip it down the line. trying to only own things i genuinely like/love...and i still only have a small fraction of the amount of books of most of you anyway, so who am i justifying to hahaha

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 2, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hardcovers and sofcovers:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Alhazred posted:

Hardcovers and sofcovers:

Some iconic stuff in there like maus and persepolis :hfive:

I thought I wasn't going to add any new stuff but I noticed hard time: complete series is out this week out of the blue. It's a tp collection which is a bummer but at the same time I can't believe they collected it 15 years after the fact and I remember it being solid. Rip Steve Gerber. I really don't see a nicer edition in hc or large format happening.. I think I'm gunna go for it (and then they'll announce a black label absolute)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Ok so if you had one artist that was above and beyond without question your immediate favorite and it turned out that artist had released a signed/numbered limited edition of a retrospective of his work that entailed a bunch of plates of his work in a nice box with said sig on the plate guide..

And it was 300 but limited to 1000 copies.. Would you go for it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Ok so if you had one artist that was above and beyond without question your immediate favorite and it turned out that artist had released a signed/numbered limited edition of a retrospective of his work that entailed a bunch of plates of his work in a nice box with said sig on the plate guide..

And it was 300 but limited to 1000 copies.. Would you go for it

This reminds me of how when I was in high school I bought a limited edition hardcover of the Jay and Silent Bob comic that was signed and numbered by Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. I say live your dream because even if you regret it, it will be funny some day.

Also if the artist is from the 20th century, they’re not going to live forever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If it's Darwyn Coole my question would be why don't you already own it

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's sienkiewicz. I went for it. I figure I'm never going to a con cuz it's not my thing so the chances of getting a signed anything are real low otherwise. I also doubt they'll be doing more than one of the proposed three art book volumes since it's been radio silence since book one.. so the idea of getting into a set that's like 350 per might not be a thing thankfully for my wallet (cgn came out to a bit less then 300 so that helps? Lol)

Annnd the cheapest of my absolute whale list popped up, so I went for that too. (league Vol 2 for 125, sealed) I don't know if it's just me, but this pandemic was the kick in the rear end that got me to start buying things I was previously just eyeing. The combo of all the delayed things I had pre'd over the last year or two all dropping in 2020 instead and me realizing that the secondary market for hc or better is strong as hell unlike any other facet of comics. People will always just want the easiest way to own a series without the hassle, it's a readers market with more demand then supply thanks to the companies kind of sucking at speculating. The fact that if it came down to it everything I'm buying would sell at cover or cost at the least was all the ingredients needed to get me buying.

I'll list out what I bought this year so far soon, I think if I talked about it anywhere else I'd just get judged for buying expensive books :negative:

E; I also had funds this year that would have otherwise gone to the cinema, museum memberships and dining out, none of which was a thing.. So I feel like there's some balance. Retail therapy I guess

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 3, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This reminds me of how when I was in high school I bought a limited edition hardcover of the Jay and Silent Bob comic that was signed and numbered by Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. I say live your dream because even if you regret it, it will be funny some day.

Also if the artist is from the 20th century, they’re not going to live forever.
was it this thing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jay-Silent...kIAAOSwJX5flNg4

I forgot to look at sold listings but 75 bucks is respectable on top of what I'm sure is a fun story

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Anyone pick up anything this week? Am I the only one going hard lately lol

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

It has been a huge week for me. On Friday I went to three comic shops (only found stuff at one of them), two Ollie's Bargain Outlets, and my local used bookstore, and came home with:

Daredevil by Chip Zdarsky Volumes 3 and 4 TPBs (store had a BOGO TPB sale and I had store credit, so they were free.)
Manhunter Volumes 2, 3, and 4 TPBs (I already had Volumes 1 and 5, so now I can read the whole thing. 1, 4, and 5 were Ollie's finds for $2.99 each, and 2 and 3 were from the used bookstore and paid for with store credit.)
Secret Six: Cat's Cradle TPB (a book I've wanted for a while, $20 cover price and out of print; found at Ollie's for $3.99.)
Suicide Squad Most Wanted: Deadshot TPB ($2.99 at Ollie's.)

And I got three books in the mail from a trade:
That nice Legends hardcover I showed
Batman: Hush TPB
Vigilante Volume 1 TPB (the '80s series I've been dying to read)

I also won Suicide Squad Volumes 2 and 4 from an eBay seller for $12 each (both out of print with $20 cover prices), and hopefully they'll arrive this Saturday. I found Volumes 1, 3, 5, and 6 at Ollie's for $3.99 each over the last two months, so it'll be nice to have the set with no gaps.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Not bad at all. Sounds like you managed to plug a lot of holes for cheap. One day I'll get to see this mythical place called Ollie's. The best I can do on the east coast are thrift stores or garage sales.

I went for dcs tpb collection of hard time in the hope that if enough people show it love they'll release a nicer version I can upgrade to someday. And all the buying on ist got absolute transmet 2 down to 70. I own the middle of a set and wishes that the other two happen

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
While we're talking about wish lists...

Does anyone have a copy of Starman deluxe hardcover volume 6 they might be interested in selling? I realized I bought all but the last volume when they were new and most of the copies that have popped up on eBay are in poor condition or are really expensive without pictures of condition.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

was it this thing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jay-Silent...kIAAOSwJX5flNg4

I forgot to look at sold listings but 75 bucks is respectable on top of what I'm sure is a fun story

That’s the one. It was definitely less than $75 then, maybe $35 or something, which is weird because I’d say both of them are pretty far from their 90s peak these days.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

That’s the one. It was definitely less than $75 then, maybe $35 or something, which is weird because I’d say both of them are pretty far from their 90s peak these days.

The one sold listing went for 40 on an apparent cover price of 70, so...you'd be up 5 bucks 20 years later

view askew fanboys not a thing i guess

e: since i'm trying to avoid election coverage today and had the time-

2020 purchases that showed up:

- RASL hc (i read the b/w singles excited for a re-read in color)
- edward gorey book cover artbook hc
- watchmen companion (thinnest trash paper, quick and dirty cash in for DC)
- watching the watchmen (dave gibbons art book)
- watchmen annotated (got this cheap and saved me from spending more on a noir copy since the version in this is b/w too. footnotes seem..ok..nothing like "if you pay attention to adrian, he's the villan" level of stupidity as far as i could see thus far)
- absolute v
- a small killing tpb (alan moore/avatar press)
- dc universe alan moore hc (2011 version w/o killing joke, first edition)
- top ten book 1 tpb (abc, 4th prt)
- top ten book 2 tpb (abc label, 4th print)
- league vol 2 tpb (abc label, 1st print)
- promethea 1-5 tpb (mostly abc label various grades and printings, i basically bought a lot to be able to get the pain in the rear end OOP vol 4 tpb, of which was close to new and a first print..this was also before they announced they actually were going to release the last volume of the deluxe hc this year so this was insurance on having a complete set..sigh)
- miracleman vol 1-3 hc (gently caress these books. i opened vol 1 and realized i'm better off just reading scanned singles digitally from the og run. i have a low grade #1 and side by side you just wanna yell at marvel)
- from hell master edition hc (another colorized book ive only read in b/w)
- absolute daytripper (goat)
- dd/elektra love & war + elektra assassin gallery ed oshc (another huge disappointment, elektra just looks overall soft and a bit blurry in the blow up to something larger then an absolute. i was jazzed to own the art in large format but this ain't it. i own the singles from buying in the 90s as a kid so i'm well aware what the thing should look like..drat you marvel, hosed me on both books this year)
- black hole tpb
- martha washington omni tpb (martha is one of my fav characters, total badass. a complete collection is a no brainer as it's been at least a decade since ive read the run..someone make this into a good tv show already)
- the complete farside tpb (4000 panels across 3 big rear end tpbs is cumbersome as hell, who knew. on the other hand, every far side)

paid for but not pulled yet or is in transit:
- absolute LOEG vol 2 sealed
- sienkiewicz revolutions vol 1 limited edition signed/numbered
- black hole studio edition oshc
- the maxx sam keith artist edition oshc w/ sig (missed those 200/vol signed remastered vol 1&2 by a mile but they reprint 3 or 4 issues each and i doubt will continue sooo, did i miss it really? this is one of the few artist ed that is hand signed and no one ever brings it up..plus oversized production art..pretty good consolation prize)
- junji ito twisted visions hc (his first artbook, viz media)
- another suburban romance colorized tpb (more moore for the moore gods)
- ex machina omni hc
- big drat sin city omni hc
- absolute swamp thing 1 & 2 (vol 1 fixed 2nd print)
- promethea deluxe hc 1 & 2
- from hell companion
- LOEG vol 1 tpb
- providence compendium hc signed by moore and burrows (backed the avatar kickstarter)
- neonomicon 10th anniversary signed by burrows (kickstarter)
- nightmares of providence art book (kickstarter)
- absolute transmet vol 2 (2020/21 reprints of 1 & 3 here i come)
- hard time complete series tp

eyeing 3 other releases from previews coming this month, depends on where they land price wise..nothing crazier then a skinny oshc or anything thankfully

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 4, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The recoloring job on the Marvel Miracleman is such trash. The original issues loving pop in comparison. Moore’s 80s stuff is designed to look a little garish and junky imo. You’re never going to make that Chuck Austin art look good, exactly.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The recoloring job on the Marvel Miracleman is such trash. The original issues loving pop in comparison. Moore’s 80s stuff is designed to look a little garish and junky imo. You’re never going to make that Chuck Austin art look good, exactly.

its the third recolor if i remember correctly right? from b&w to color, then colored again when it was bought and now this newest attempt

Also talk about padding out releases to stretch it into a third 35 dollar volume. I think we were all like what the gently caress is this with those releases, you really passed along the cost of getting the rights to us on that one.. Nothing better then begrudgingly owning a book mostly for the oddity that it even exists with the legal cluster gently caress behind all of it, might start calling myself "the original reader"

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 4, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Is there a good way to read this, especially digitally? Or did Marvel never finish releasing the reprints?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uthor posted:

Is there a good way to read this, especially digitally? Or did Marvel never finish releasing the reprints?

The entire moore run isn't that expensive if you want reader copies on the secondary market.. I'd either go that route or get the pirate scans of the same thing that are pretty easy to Google and donate to a charity instead if you feel off about it. The rights poo poo show is something else, the fact that Disney ended up owning it is a mind gently caress

The redone stuff got up to exactly where it stopped the last time and it's been 4 years at this point. I think they put out that gaiman first arc as a trade too with the recolors but I lost interest.

Honestly thinking about it I don't think I've ever had a recolor and thought, oh this really did enhance everything. It's just varying degrees of how distracting they are with the absolute recoloring on watchmen the least offensive. It kinda drives me nuts in how often it's done. I have that oshc of hardboiled, even that got a recolor. I don't know if marvel is as bad as DC with this but bleh. I would have paid more for a straight reproduction of swamp thing in the saga absolutes!

Cheap miracleman.. You just gotta dig through the listings so you don't get the 2015 and on new versions -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miracleman...kEAAOSwKIhfmguz

Whatever you do don't try and get the og tpbs, crazy expensive

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 4, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RusteJuxx posted:

While we're talking about wish lists...

Does anyone have a copy of Starman deluxe hardcover volume 6 they might be interested in selling? I realized I bought all but the last volume when they were new and most of the copies that have popped up on eBay are in poor condition or are really expensive without pictures of condition.

I might have a copy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

I might have a copy.

This is the wholesome content I come here to see

While you're making wishes happen I don't suppose you have any of the books I'm hunting Dya?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

This is the wholesome content I come here to see

While you're making wishes happen I don't suppose you have any of the books I'm hunting Dya?

I only have a single lovely recolor Miracleman trade.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

I only have a single lovely recolor Miracleman trade.

ah dang, well, if you ever come across these:

zer0spunk posted:

My wants are all expensive and kinda wishful thinking but -
Absolute promethea vol 1, 2, 3
Absolute top ten
Absolute league 1&2
Rachel rising omni in hc (might cave and just go SC)

think of yer ole pal zero who will toss cash at you so fast mister

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

I might have a copy.
Should I PM you to start a chat? I'm in no rush, so whenever you can check to see if you have a copy is fine by me. Thank you!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RusteJuxx posted:

Should I PM you to start a chat? I'm in no rush, so whenever you can check to see if you have a copy is fine by me. Thank you!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

zer0spunk posted:

I've been filling out my collection with OoP stuff I've been meaning to pick up but haven't/hadn't found a good deal on yet. I got my hands on volumes two and three of Morrisson's New X-Men for a fair price, as well as the huge gets of both broadsheet-size Little Nemo HCs for less than €100 total. :woop:

(They don't fit on any of my shelves...)

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

JordanKai posted:

I've been filling out my collection with OoP stuff I've been meaning to pick up but haven't/hadn't found a good deal on yet. I got my hands on volumes two and three of Morrisson's New X-Men for a fair price, as well as the huge gets of both broadsheet-size Little Nemo HCs for less than €100 total. :woop:

I forgot I had that huge Little Nemo set in a closet...it's too big to keep out anywhere in my house. Only eBay listing I see is $1800 lmao good luck with that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

JordanKai posted:

Nice! I have a lot of weird size stuff on order coming.. The sienkiewicz thing is an odd shaped jewelry style box.. The artist editions with Sam Keith and Charles burns are also bigger then shelf size.. Then there's the 2 1300+ page omnis coming. I was all order and no shelf strategy, pure hubris

Legit going through a reality dating show style elimination to see what is going into a closet forever. Book battle Royale

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 4, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If anyone has the Chase TPB (from DC, by Dan Curtis Johnson and J.H. Williams III) and is willing to part with it, I'd be thrilled -- especially to work out a trade for it. A few books of my own chopping block that I'd be happy to find new, appreciative homes for:

Box Office Poison TPB (Top Shelf) by Alex Robinson
Farmhand Volume 1 TPB (Image) -- signed by writer/artist Rob Guillory
G.I. Joe: Sierra Muerte #1-3 (the entire IDW miniseries) signed by writer/artist Michel Fiffe of Copra fame
Letter 44 Volume 1 TPB (Oni Press) -- signed by writer Charles Soule
Transformers vs. G.I. Joe Volume 1-3 TPBs (IDW), plus the Free Comic Book Day #0 and the experimental "Movie Adaptation" issue by Tom Scioli and John Barber

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I decided to not dick around on release day for 90% of what is listed in previews from now to June 2021 that I would have bought anyway.. so I just put in a big rear end pre-order at tales and called it a day. Not sure if that was move or not, that was a brutal up front pre order but I assume if things cancel they'll refund as it happens.

The expensive stuff I pred-

Absolute planetary (one volume finally)
100 bullets omni 1 hc
Locke and key collected
+3 other smaller things like east of west 3

That leaves 3 other things I couldn't pre this month
And then I'm officially ignoring previews and chilling in 2021..I find it best to irresponsibly spend for a year but do it compressed into one month haha

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

I decided to not dick around on release day for 90% of what is listed in previews from now to June 2021 that I would have bought anyway.. so I just put in a big rear end pre-order at tales and called it a day. Not sure if that was move or not, that was a brutal up front pre order but I assume if things cancel they'll refund as it happens.

The expensive stuff I pred-

Absolute planetary (one volume finally)
100 bullets omni 1 hc
Locke and key collected
+3 other smaller things like east of west 3

That leaves 3 other things I couldn't pre this month
And then I'm officially ignoring previews and chilling in 2021..I find it best to irresponsibly spend for a year but do it compressed into one month haha

I'm surprised they've never made a one-volume Planetary omnibus!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm surprised they've never made a one-volume Planetary omnibus!

They did, It's sitting on my shelf right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

They did, It's sitting on my shelf right now.

It's going to be the absolute that breaks my shelf I can already feel it