Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'll go jogging to tonight or tomorrow, luckily I live on the outskirts of town right near a forest. If you make it 500m in you leave all people behind.

I also got some Lego coming in to keep me busy as I have next week off and well... not much to do. Still need to buy a PS4 game to binge through, thinking Ghost of Tsushima, but that is surprisingly hard to find for a decentt price, so maybe I'll just play though Judgement, which I already started anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, of course there are Adults Playing with Lego in the German thread lol

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Cool cat! But why don't you let her roam around without a leash? I had 2-3 cats already and they actually slept and lived outside. Never had an issue finding their way home.

It's what Zwille said, I'm supposed to keep her inside for 3-4 weeks. 3 of those are already over, so when the next Kurzarbeit-phase starts I'll allow her outside unsupervised. Right now she gets to sometimes go out on a leash so she can at least get accustomed to what lies beyond our house.

Einbauschrank posted:

I know the cute Kitty is supposed to be the star, but as as citizen of a Ballungsgebiet I am more triggered by the sight of the huge balcony that my boomer forefathers called a "garden" until we were expelled from it for our sins. My god, it's full of grass.

The balconies are all rather tiny and high above. I think one dude watched me getting my kitty out from their garden at one point.

Remember the time when you played Sim City on the SNES and you were supposed to build everything in huge 3x3 donut-blocks with the middle free so you could put stuff like parks inside? Replace parks with gardens and you get what I'm dealing with here. :v:

Also all of Hannover is green, it's ridiculous. I could legit step outside, enter our city forest and just keep walking until I reach the other side of the city, without ever seeing a house.

Zwille posted:

Nice! Looks like a veritable jungle there.

Years ago it looked even worse, but when none of my neighbors wanted to deal with the large garden alone, people from other houses started complaining about the jungle and since then, 3x a year the Hausverwaltung sends someone to clean up the garden a bit.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

Yeah I'll go jogging to tonight or tomorrow, luckily I live on the outskirts of town right near a forest. If you make it 500m in you leave all people behind.

I also got some Lego coming in to keep me busy as I have next week off and well... not much to do. Still need to buy a PS4 game to binge through, thinking Ghost of Tsushima, but that is surprisingly hard to find for a decentt price, so maybe I'll just play though Judgement, which I already started anyway.

Man, I spend most of this year slowly filling my tiny apartment with Lego, it's ridiculous. Now I can't build more Lego anymore, I've run out of places to put those things down. (Also as an aside, I'm amazed that Amber just leaves all my huge Lego crap alone. She rubs her head on some of the larger ones like my original MAERSK LINE Container Ship, but that's it. She's really a sweet kitty. :3: )

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^^ Tell me about it, the living room is full of all the London stuff, and I recently built the Mustang and the VW Bus. Got the bug coming in, and have you seen the UCS Ecto1 that will come out soon?

Between Lego and board games we are running out of room.

oliwan posted:

Man us Germans. It's always either Lego or recreational drugs, am I right?

Hopper fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 2, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

pidan posted:

I increasingly see people wearing masks outside where it's not required, so I guess the general feeling is "taking things seriously".

:same: The big majority still don't, but I'm seeing more and more people who do.

I've started wearing my mask outside when I'm walking around areas with lots of foot traffic. The route to the nearest few grocery stores has a lot of people walking around at all hours and a few bus stops, so unless I'm going to the park or something, I wear the mask even when outside now.

Probably helps that it's not as uncomfortable to wear in colder weather as it is in the summer.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

oliwan posted:

i find it nice when there are germans that can be open with their :feelings: and inner children

too many people act like rejecting that means one is more valid

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Libluini posted:

So, on our Discord I was asked to bless this thread.

As the God of Awesome, I of course immediately stepped down from my high horse to dispense blessings:

As a reminder, my new cat Amber. (Right now she sleeps on my desk instead of my bed, but same thing really.)

Still too young and inexperienced to just go outside alone, but I also didn't want to keep her imprisoned for the 3-4 weeks I'm supposed to eingewöhn her. So I got her this Katzengeschirr.

She learned to "accept" the thing pretty drat fast (probably because she's still very young), but the first few times, I had to carry her out into the garden like a baby before she started moving out of her own free will.

Bad news kitty, the world is just a larger cage around the cage we're living in.

Luckily for Amber, our fence has a huge hole in it were part of it is just missing. I think this happened when a storm killed the huge Tannenbaum we had. That thing flattened a lot of real estate out here in garden world. Though it also looks like at one time, both of these gardens may have been connected? Anyway, the leash was far too short and she protested very loudly when she suddenly noticed how unwilling I was to just trespass into a foreign garden.

In another part of our garden, neighbors built this contraption, spanning both sides of the fence. It leads upwards a tree just off-screen and to a bunch of linked-up bird feeders and playgrounds. (She is hiding inside the brick-looking thing on this pic. It's hollow!)

And then she managed to climb and fall off that contraption, forcing me to climb it up until I could help untangle her. Ironically, without her Katzengeschirr stopping her, she would have bumped a lot of stuff on her way down and I don't think falling on your paws will help if branches keep hitting you in the face.

Second attempt, days later: After Autumn and Work combined to form Captain Darkness, I was forced to either do this, or keep her inside. Well, at least Amber could now scout around a lot more, thanks to a longer leash. (This is yet another garden on yet another side of our one. It's like gardenception over here.)

Third attempt, from today: Now she's really getting into it, and I've learned enough to keep her from getting into trouble!

Interesting fact: Having a long leash doesn't really help if your pet tries her best to get it caught up in everything she comes across.

Most of today she spend watching birds and making weird bird noises. Fun for her, but thank god I had my smartphone. Watching cats is fun, but after 30 minutes of looking at a sitting cat you have to be a professional animal watcher or your concentration will be shot.

Though to be fair, Amber also did a lot of exploring. There's apparently an old Sandkasten here, too. I'd totally forgotten what was under those weird wooden planks until she crawled under them. I suddenly remembered it's not just naked stone under there. Completely unrelated to this story is this shot of Amber reacting to her name. A rare pic of this plus me being fast enough with the shot happening at the same time.

these are amazing and i adore her and your prose

also yes, cat noises are the best :haw:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Hopper posted:

^^^ Tell me about it, the living room is full of all the London stuff, and I recently built the Mustang and the VW Bus. Got the bug coming in, and have you seen the UCS Ecto1 that will come out soon?

Ugh, I almost bought the Bug and mustang too. How do you stay up to date on the Lego stuff coming out? I just read about the batwing by :airquote:accident :airquote:from an Instagram ad.

Libluini posted:

Man, I spend most of this year slowly filling my tiny apartment with Lego, it's ridiculous. Now I can't build more Lego anymore, I've run out of places to put those things down. (Also as an aside, I'm amazed that Amber just leaves all my huge Lego crap alone. She rubs her head on some of the larger ones like my original MAERSK LINE Container Ship, but that's it. She's really a sweet kitty. :3: )

Heh, that was my primary reason for not buying any Lego, I was afraid our kitties would choke on it. But they’ve been very disinterested in the minfig I had on my desk for most of the year so I’m optimistic :angel:

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Doesn't it get really messy to have a bunch of lego stuff all over your place? Seems like keeping it all in the box and taking it out only when you want to play with it would be the better option.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
My bank (DiBa) has started collecting a cool five euros a month for the privilege of having all my money lie with them (and them making profit by loaning it to others) so I'd like to change to another bank, with a free account, with 0 ,- EUR Kontoführungsgebühr, even if I never pay in.

Google claims Santander does so - are they reputable? I don't need ATMs or a credit card from them, just a place to keep Euros.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

elbkaida posted:

Doesn't it get really messy to have a bunch of lego stuff all over your place? Seems like keeping it all in the box and taking it out only when you want to play with it would be the better option.

They do lots of display sets now, basically small sculptures and whatnot that are meant to be looked at.

I can’t believe BER is finally open. Tegel was such a terrible shithole and I’m glad I never have to fly into it again. Getting straight onto a train will be a novelty.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Ugh, I almost bought the Bug and mustang too. How do you stay up to date on the Lego stuff coming out? I just read about the batwing by :airquote:accident :airquote:from an Instagram ad.

Here's a place for all your lego needs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

And if you want see an honest review of a set, try the Held der Steine Youtube channel and see if he did a review.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lunar Suite posted:

My bank (DiBa) has started collecting a cool five euros a month for the privilege of having all my money lie with them (and them making profit by loaning it to others) so I'd like to change to another bank, with a free account, with 0 ,- EUR Kontoführungsgebühr, even if I never pay in.

Google claims Santander does so - are they reputable? I don't need ATMs or a credit card from them, just a place to keep Euros.

OP, don't support private banks by using them for anything. Use your local Sparkasse, or ethical banks like GLS. That way you can also feel good about supporting them with the 5 euros per month or whatever.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, if you as a grown rear end adult want to order Lego sets for yourself and play with them in your own home, be my guest. There are also adults who put on diapers, dress up like a baby and sleep in a huge crib, and that's cool too.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lunar Suite posted:

https://www.dkb.de/

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
How do you feel about jigsaw puzzles? Lego is basically that, but with detailed instructions. The perfect German game.

I will design a jigsaw puzzle with numbers on the back, so people will know how to do them step by step. Correctly in an ordered fashion.

Now how can you include complicated probability tables?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 2, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cant cook creole bream posted:

How do you feel about jigsaw puzzles? Lego is basically that, but with detailed instructions. The perfect German game.

I will design a jigsaw puzzle with numbers on the back, so people will know how to do them step by step.

:hmmyes:

I haven't done a jigsaw puzzle since I was 6 I guess.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

oliwan posted:

Hey, if you as a grown rear end adult want to order Lego sets for yourself and play with them in your own home, be my guest. There are also adults who put on diapers, dress up like a baby and sleep in a huge crib, and that's cool too.

Nice normative, judgmental opinion you have there, op. Very bougie, very conservative, very nice :hmmyes:

Have you also considered thinking that a grown rear end man 10 years out of uni shouldn't be doing dissociatives anymore and instead have a family, kids and at least five weisse bürohemden?

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

cant cook creole bream posted:

I will design a jigsaw puzzle with numbers on the back, so people will know how to do them step by step. Correctly in an ordered fashion.

Now how can you include complicated probability tables?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If Lego were for kids, it would not be priced in a manner that requires a full time job for grown-ups imo.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Idgi.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Giving lego to your kids is the middle class version of a pony.

Just give them sticks and leaves, healthy and free!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

elbkaida posted:

For creative visualization exercises, I do indeed have a box with random lego parts. It's under my desk, so it's in easy reach. It's either this or drawing on my PC, but uuuughhh I already have to draw a ton for work, so it's not as much fun if I draw in my free time, too. (Also I'm incredibly poo poo at everything involving drawing. I can only weasel through at work because technical drawings don't need to look good, just clean and understandable. Even something as simple as drawing a space ship silhouette is way beyond me.)

But most of my Lego-poo poo is the equivalent of models. And you wouldn't keep your model unglued and unpainted in its box, right?

Hell, two of my Lego-sets even came with their own display stands (made from Lego), complete with labels so you know what you're looking at.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

GABA ghoul posted:

Nice normative, judgmental opinion you have there, op. Very bougie, very conservative, very nice :hmmyes:

Have you also considered thinking that a grown rear end man 10 years out of uni shouldn't be doing dissociatives anymore and instead have a family, kids and at least five weisse bürohemden?

Yes this is literally what I think, only instead of weisse Bürohemden they should be kariert imo

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

pidan posted:

Look at Mr Albrecht here, living in his posh neigbourhood near a tree or a bush. My kids will get a piece of loose pavement and enjoy it!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Thanks! I’ll probably hold out on the Ecto (but the DeLorean talk sounds good) and get the Bug next month or so. Figure I can treat myself every month or other month. :q:

Ugh when will this poo poo finally ship?

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Heh, look at these people playing with legos. Meanwhile, I will be off engaging in a real man's hobby: modded minecraft :smug:

Jokes aside, I finally convinced some friends to set up and play on a modded server together and while I was initially worried, it has been going pretty well so far. Add in the fact that in a couple hours my one week of vacation starts and I will be off in virtual lego land for a while. Just gonna hope no major events happen in the world while I am gone :v:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

pidan posted:

Lego and minecraft are gateway drugs to a STEM studium, great success and happiness in life. If you give them leaves and an ast they might turn out to be a Gärtner or something or even worse

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Greader posted:

Heh, look at these people playing with legos. Meanwhile, I will be off engaging in a real man's hobby: modded minecraft :smug:

Jokes aside, I finally convinced some friends to set up and play on a modded server together and while I was initially worried, it has been going pretty well so far. Add in the fact that in a couple hours my one week of vacation starts and I will be off in virtual lego land for a while. Just gonna hope no major events happen in the world while I am gone :v:

tbh while i'm not enthused by minecraft multiplayer there are a few singleplayer adventure/puzzle maps that have been neat and i've been meaning to play more

GABA ghoul posted:

Lego and minecraft are gateway drugs to a STEM studium, great success and happiness in life. If you give them leaves and an ast they might turn out to be a Gärtner or something or even worse

what did you say about duzzy funlop? :argh:

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

oliwan posted:

I wouldn't pin it on Germans. I think that it is more and more accepted that adults do not have to do serious, adult things. People 30 and above play with Legos, video games, collectible card games, collect Funko Pops, etc.
One could call this infantilization of the society if you are pessimistic, or simply consider that people are freer to do whatever they like.
(I must confess that my views align more with the former)

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Like, I have this friend who is close to 40, lives with his girlfriend in Switzerland, spends his time at home, does not want to meet new people, and his only hobby is to play Magic the Gathering, he spends loads of money in it.
He is depressed :iiam:

I cannot help feeling that he could be a bit more "grown up"

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 2, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Everyone knows that being a real adult is about becoming increasingly self-judgmental and closing off anything that brings you joy

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Like, I have this friend who is close to 40, lives with his girlfriend in Geneve, spends his time at home, does not want to meet new people, and his only hobby is to play Magic the Gathering, he spends loads of money in it.
He is depressed :iiam:

I cannot help feeling that he could be a bit more "grown up"
This would be unhealthy even for a child

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
16 Uhr U Bahn Update: it's filled to the brim, every seat taken and people packed in the standing areas. The closest head to mine was like 20 cm away, so I guess thats is an improvement over the normal 5 cm.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I don't disagree that the man-child demographic is growing, but I'm not sure it's that much of a problem? Like, of you're going to sit in your house alone and depressed, surely playing with legos is no worse than hate-reading Foucault. If you're going to go outside with friends, surely playing quidditch in full costume is no worse than mud biking or whatever.

The work-for-money aspect of our lives isn't affected anyway, unless you're lucky enough to work in one of those offices that have slides and a ball pit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Acceptable adult entertainment activities: alcoholism, drug use, crying over a pile of bills, sopping up Facebook conspiracy theories, being terminally online

Unacceptable adult entertainment activities: building houses out of colorful little plastic bricks

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"Infantilization of society" is not a thing which exists, though.

Societies simply change over time, and what is unacceptable in one age, becomes acceptable in the next. If all of this change was due to infantilization, we'd be at over negative 9000 on the childometer by now. Hell, the human race would have never had a real, adult being in its entire history, if we take this reasoning to its extreme. :v:

Just think about how dumb it is that there is supposed to be a difference between collecting stamps and coins on one hand, and Funko Pops and video games on the other. Objectively speaking, there is none. But because people were collecting stamps and coins hundreds of years ago, we have a lot of old people who tell us collecting coins is adult, but collecting video games isn't.

It just makes no sense, except as the typical human expression of "What I do is good, what others do is bad", deeply rooted in our psyche. :shrug:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

pidan posted:

I don't disagree that the man-child demographic is growing, but I'm not sure it's that much of a problem? Like, of you're going to sit in your house alone and depressed, surely playing with legos is no worse than hate-reading Foucault. If you're going to go outside with friends, surely playing quidditch in full costume is no worse than mud biking or whatever.
I think it's only an issue to the extent that it's a slice of the problem that is "people have increasingly narrowly defined hobbies/identities that make it less likely for them to associate with anyone they actually live next to". I am definitely guilty of this.

quote:

The work-for-money aspect of our lives isn't affected anyway, unless you're lucky enough to work in one of those offices that have slides and a ball pit.
I'm at Google and we still don't have that poo poo. Though the office does have pool and ping pong and kicker, a small basketball court, a maker space, a couple of nap rooms, a meditation/relaxing room, a music room, a video game room, a MAME cabinet that almost never works...

Though basically the only time I really used that stuff was on the weekend when I'd come in with the kid for free ice cream and soda and snacks.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

pidan posted:

Yeah, 60 years ago that magic the gathering dude would have been collecting briefmarken or something and it would have been just as unhealthy. There is a general trend towards less social interaction and that's the actual problem.

And there is nothing inherently wrong with collecting briemarks or building legos or whatever compared to other solitary hobbies. I guess some are somewhat better than others. Like, learning to draw gets you to acquire a complicated skill and gives you a positive feeling of accomplishment, but not everyone is artistically gifted or interested. Some people are just born with nerdy tendencies/talents and there is not much that can be done about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, 60 years ago that magic the gathering dude would have been collecting briefmarken or something and it would have been just as unhealthy. There is a general trend towards less social interaction and that's the actual problem.

And there is nothing inherently wrong with collecting briemarks or building legos or whatever compared to other solitary hobbies. I guess some are somewhat better than others. Like, learning to draw gets you to acquire a complicated skill and gives you a positive feeling of accomplishment, but not everyone is artistically gifted or interested. Some people are just born with nerdy tendencies/talents and there is not much that can be done about it.

I'd go further than that and say that the goon obsession with "productive" hobbies is itself a bit off. Like, if I sit at my piano repetitively practicing some etudes for my own entertainment, what's so different from sitting in front of the computer repetitively fighting monsters for my own entertainment? Maybe it's better for my eyes, but that's about it. Likewise the main difference between painting pictures that no-one ever sees and doing jigsaw puzzles is only that the result of the second one is satisfying without having to practice much.

Not that there's anything wrong with being creative, but it's not as big a difference between "producing" and "consuming" as some goons like to believe.

Also you can totally be creative with legos, if you want.