Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
shirt printer go brrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Lamar Jackson vs the rest of the NFL:
446 for 704 (63.4%), 5290 yards (7.5 YPA) 51 TDs 8 INTs. 105.6 QB rating. 49 sacks 22 fumbles, 6.1 YPC, 14 TDs

Lamar Jackson vs Pittsburgh:
33 for 57 (57.9%), 381 yards (6.7 YPA) 4 TDs 5 INT. 65.0 QB rating. 9 sacks, 5 fumbles, 4.1 YPC, 0 TDs.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Tbqh Harbaugh is a great coach who always comes up with a new scheme or gameplan the Steelers haven't seen yet and gives them trouble. For example, the Ravens rushed for a billion yards today against a pretty good run defense. Impressive even with Tyson Alualu being out.

Also he's full of poo poo crying about PI on that final play. Jackson threw into triple coverage, gently caress off.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 2, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Evening grosbeaks are the boss finch

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Time posted:

the PLAGUENS

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Cavauro posted:

Evening grosbeaks are the boss finch

Crossbills!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

too indecisive to be da boss

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

too indecisive to be da boss

You mean with all the types? Well apparently Evening Grosbeaks have types too that I never knew. Someone in MD Birding Rare reported one as Evening Grosbeak type 3.

Also there's Cassia Crossbill now. But apparently it lost a lot of its grounds in the wildfires :\

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Good

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

We couldn't still use Dobbins we got him specifically with the pick from the Hurst trade! If we don't have the earlier second round pick there would be no Dobbins (outside of some trade up in the second, which would necessitate a loss of some other player, probably Duverney).

There's a weird 'Need Hurst' faction of the Ravens fanbase that's looking for some, any reason, why hte offense isn't scoring TDs on every single play and its stupid. Hurst is a good player (better than you ever gave him credit for last year), but there's a million reasons why any team shifts its production from year to year.

The truth of the matter is that the Ravens offense isn't bad (at least, and especially, when compared to the league average. you really need to start watching other teams play football so you have some kind of bearing and perspective on what a good or a bad offense looks like) - if you told me that the Ravens were going to hold the Ben to ~180 yards passing, and were going to rush for over 250 yards, I wouldve jumped for joy and expected a 28-7 or so type of game with the Ravens easily in control. The gameplan was actually pretty masterful and it was, unfortunately, mostly on Jackson why they kept losing control of the game. The coaches are really the last thing you can blame after this game.

I don't really agree with this logic--the whole point is we didn't replace Hurst with anyone. I don't necessarily think we needed Hurst. But I think it's ridiculous to say that I can't say we need to use the offense we had with Hurst and then promote using Dobbins. It's like some weird libertarian gotcha point. I don't get your thinking there at all.

Whatever we did in the run blocking was great. But one thing I blame the coaches for is the Lamar Jackson draws on 3rd and 4th down on the second to last drive. Why?? Edwards and Dobbins were carving them up. We don't need to constantly be plowing Jackson ahead like a RB if we have two actual RB who are bulldozing them along with a banged up O-line.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Do you think lamar stopped working hard because he won the nfl mvp award when he was 17 years old? Did that ruin his career.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cavauro posted:

Do you think lamar stopped working hard because he won the nfl mvp award when he was 17 years old? Did that ruin his career.

I think it probably did. I think it made him bad, forever.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

No I think Lamar is a hard worker, I just think a bunch of stuff has happened this year one of which is replacing what was working last year with something totally different this year. Just because we traded Hurst doesn't mean we couldn't have replaced him with some JAG who didn't mind being the 3rd TE. And if we're going to go with the WRs, use them in ways that make sense! Hollywood agrees.

Roman basically is a one-trick pony. He is really good at that kind of offense we ran last year but with what we're running this year he stinks. Lamar needs to stop trying to make every play something amazing--it's probably just a mindset he needs to fix. But another thing is our offense needs to depend on the full unit and not just two receivers per game. I think that running the offense like that can also hurt a player's development if they're taught to just focus on one player. It was this same discussion with Flacco in his first years. Everyone was like "we need to open up the offense and use everyone". It becomes a question of is it because Flacco is inept or is the development process inept? And that's tough for a fan to answer. But this is two guys in a row now this is happening.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 2, 2020

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

the other teams, recognizing his potential, decided to gaslight him by letting him win big despite bad mechanics, thus ensuring he would learn everything wrong and be bad forever beginning the next season

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

in honor of the time andy dalton was used to simulate lamar in practice lamar has decided to simulate andy in games

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Lamar is a special talent, but like Flacco, he is bad against the Steelers. 7 TOs, 9 sacks, 3 TDs in 2 games so far.

Like it or not, smashing him on every play that isn't an obvious pass is football 101 due to runner vs passer rules, and is what every team should do against option football. That doesn't seem like a recipe for long-term success.

Hat tip to what they do well tho, it's absolutely embarrassing to give up nearly 300 yards of rushing every time they play.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

D-LINK posted:

Lamar is a special talent, but like Flacco, he is bad against the Steelers. 7 TOs, 9 sacks, 3 TDs in 2 games so far.

Like it or not, smashing him on every play that isn't an obvious pass is football 101 due to runner vs passer rules, and is what every team should do against option football. That doesn't seem like a recipe for long-term success.

Hat tip to what they do well tho, it's absolutely embarrassing to give up nearly 300 yards of rushing every time they play.

It's not embarrassing if you win OP

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Phobeste posted:

It's not embarrassing if you win OP

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I don't really see anything specific the Steelers did to mess up Lamar--those three key turnovers were pretty much entirely of his own making and would have happened against any team really. The Ravens would have won soundly without them but even with them probably should have.

We need to figure out what it is we are trying to do with the offense and maybe that will help. I feel like running the more traditional offense doesn't really work with Lamar's skillset and how he likes to play. So we gotta figure that out.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

The offense looked fantastic once they started working dobbins to the outside, and ended that drive less than 5 yards from taking the lead. the draw wasn't the worst playcall but it just didn't work. i wasn't salty about it.

They then got an additional chance, and came 20 yards short and even then on a ball that Snead was inches away from catching. I'm honestly thrilled with what the offense showed in the second quarter, the ravens just beat themselves all game long. If one of those mistakes doesn't happen we're talking about a win. This loss sucked but it was the most heartening game I've seen in a while, assuming they don't continue to melt down like this in every game they play against a .500 team. The defense continued to be great, and only gave up 14 points, not counting the touchdown the steelers got off of that really bad pick jackson threw in the 2nd half.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Freaquency posted:

Kawalimus is Mike Tomlin a good coach y/n

Kawalimus pls respond

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm less concerned then I was yesterday, still think Lamar isn't right for probably several reasons and Roman needs to get better with the passing scheme...but everywhere he's been people have complained about that and Harbs doesn't really override his coordinators so it probably is what it is.

And I don't know what Hollywood is complaining about, either get open or get your bff to throw you the ball accurately if you want to catch passes.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Mike Tomlin lost to RG3 in a game that would've sent them to the playoffs last year

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Breaking news: Marlon Humphrey played yesterday with active COVID

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

D-LINK posted:

Breaking news: Marlon Humphrey played yesterday with active COVID

Hell yeah, trying to end the other teams season by any means. The Ravens-Steelers rivalry really is the best in the nfl.

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/PRic508/status/1323300702022733825

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Freaquency posted:

Kawalimus pls respond

chamois posted:

The offense looked fantastic once they started working dobbins to the outside, and ended that drive less than 5 yards from taking the lead. the draw wasn't the worst playcall but it just didn't work. i wasn't salty about it.

They then got an additional chance, and came 20 yards short and even then on a ball that Snead was inches away from catching. I'm honestly thrilled with what the offense showed in the second quarter, the ravens just beat themselves all game long. If one of those mistakes doesn't happen we're talking about a win. This loss sucked but it was the most heartening game I've seen in a while, assuming they don't continue to melt down like this in every game they play against a .500 team. The defense continued to be great, and only gave up 14 points, not counting the touchdown the steelers got off of that really bad pick jackson threw in the 2nd half.

The issue was we ran the same draw twice. We should have had at least one of them just trying to plow ahead with edwards or maybe a setpiece to Dobbins. We were doing well with that. This was like that 2009 chargers play with sproles. And just like sproles we have our own norv turner.

Freaquency posted:

Kawalimus pls respond

He's leagues above Harbaugh.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
THE PLAGUENS

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The Plaguens lost the battle against the Steelers but won the war

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

He's leagues above Harbaugh.

Mmhmm, mmhmm. I think I’ve figured this out. Harbaugh is the birder who taunted you all those years ago isn’t he?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

They have almost identical records over the same time period that Harbaugh has coached the Ravens - Tomlin has 7 more wins but they have the same number of postseason appearances and Super Bowl titles. Your animosity has to spring from something else, it’s the only thing that makes sense.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Freaquency posted:

Mmhmm, mmhmm. I think I’ve figured this out. Harbaugh is the birder who taunted you all those years ago isn’t he?

lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Freaquency posted:

They have almost identical records over the same time period that Harbaugh has coached the Ravens - Tomlin has 7 more wins but they have the same number of postseason appearances and Super Bowl titles. Your animosity has to spring from something else, it’s the only thing that makes sense.

He hates Harbaugh because he refuses to draft another Shannon Sharpe every year and also because the Ravens don't run enough screen plays.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Screen plays are for teams who can't run all the gently caress over everyone like the Ravens do

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 2, 2020

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Lamar "Taysom 'Lamar Jackson' Hill" Jackson

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

chamois posted:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That pic sums up the whole game.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

that's miles boykin

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm less concerned then I was yesterday, still think Lamar isn't right for probably several reasons and Roman needs to get better with the passing scheme...but everywhere he's been people have complained about that and Harbs doesn't really override his coordinators so it probably is what it is.

And I don't know what Hollywood is complaining about, either get open or get your bff to throw you the ball accurately if you want to catch passes.

In SF at least Roman's offense really didn't allow for a lot of deep routes from WRs, which seems to be most people's complaint about him. When they went deep it was usually to a tight end out of 22 or 12, later on he went to way more 11 and it wasn't very successful but it's hard to put the blame for 2014 on any one factor. He may have been forced to use more WRs despite a lack of talent by the roster situation at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

that picture is kinda misleading because by the time the camera pans out to the end zone the ball has already been thrown and everybody is converging into it, plus the defenders possibly were reading Lamar's head/eyes

I could be wrong though