Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

FBI and the cops have known that white supremacists are the biggest terror threat for years. They prefer to spend more resources attacking anti-war grannies, leftist book clubs, environmentalists, and animal rights activists for a reason. It's a deliberate choice, not an oversight. A huge part of their historical mission has been eradicating communists and civil rights activists. In some ways the FBI have a more professional culture than the police but they are both ruthlessly partisan and firmly allied with the right.

They will occasionally arrest some Atom Waffen level nuts in the late planning stages of a mass casualty event but the vast majority of right wing extremists have always gone untouched by choice. No external force such as Trump has been holding the authorities back from prosecuting right wing terrorists in proportion to the level of danger they present. This is just who they have always been as institutions down to the very core.
https://theintercept.com/2019/10/22/terrorism-fbi-political-dissent/

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Yeah, lmfao at the idea thay the FBI has just been muzzled by Trump and otherwise would be aggressively rooting out the white supremacist militia movement that, what, sprung up from nowhere in the last four years?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I wish it was surprising that someone thinks the FBI will save us. Like knowing what we know about the FBI, what the gently caress makes you think that's gonna happen?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I have more faith 8n the political process, and if we have the house, the Senate, and the presidency I doubt they are going to want to just sit around and allow domestic terrorists to murder people all day long. I also don't think the FBI would identify white supremacists as the #1 domestic threat if they didn't care at all about them.

In any event what I am arguing against is vigilantism and retributive violence. If you think the system is going to remain so broken that it just won't function then I guess I can see why you would think that's OK, but that type of thing doesn't ever improve things; it just makes everything worse.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao OPB and Propublica just put up a really long article about Reinoehl and Danielson. Super sympathetic to Danielson and kind of mean to Reinoehl. Light on any talk about the actual shooting, more just biographic in nature. I like that OPB decided to humanize the chud

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/11/02/when-the-political-divide-turned-deadly-in-portland/

quote:

A kid named Sun Hawk

Aaron Joseph “Jay” Danielson, a Portland businessman, died in the street six days shy of his 40th birthday.

quote:

Danielson spoiled his two dogs — a Chihuahua named Pancake and a miniature pinscher named Journey — and even took them with him on moving jobs, the former girlfriend said. When Danielson died, she adopted his dogs.

quote:

Reinoehl’s sister, who received death threats after he shot Danielson, agreed to speak on the condition she not be named.

“My oldest brother was this nebulous figure who popped in and out of our life to take whatever hard-earned money Mom had,” she said.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

therobit posted:

I have more faith 8n the political process, and if we have the house, the Senate, and the presidency I doubt they are going to want to just sit around and allow domestic terrorists to murder people all day long. I also don't think the FBI would identify white supremacists as the #1 domestic threat if they didn't care at all about them.

In any event what I am arguing against is vigilantism and retributive violence. If you think the system is going to remain so broken that it just won't function then I guess I can see why you would think that's OK, but that type of thing doesn't ever improve things; it just makes everything worse.

We have three whole months of the current state of political violence before this fantasy of Good Feds could even occur. You'll be long gone by then, so your scolding about how Pro-Informant you are against anyone outside of your decorum weirdo bounds doesn't matter.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

therobit posted:

Dafuq is this "we" poo poo? Huge chunks of, if not most of, the Democratic Party manifestly does not give a drat about what happens to the working class (which the racism is being used to divide). The money behind their campaigns certainly doesn't care - or is actively benefitting from their labor being deprived of political power!

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 2, 2020

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Gerund posted:

We have three whole months of the current state of political violence before this fantasy of Good Feds could even occur. You'll be long gone by then, so your scolding about how Pro-Informant you are against anyone outside of your decorum weirdo bounds doesn't matter.

I'm not going anywhere unless Trump is re-elected or succeeds in squatting in the white house or starting a civil war. But yeah if war breaks out here or Trump becomes a dictator for life I'm taking my kids the gently caress up out of here if at all possible.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

If you're concerned about people doing violence ahead of when violence is called for (which is important), I recommend giving them good alternatives. People resort to violence when they're out of better ideas.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

therobit posted:

I'm not going anywhere unless Trump is re-elected or succeeds in squatting in the white house or starting a civil war. But yeah if war breaks out here or Trump becomes a dictator for life I'm taking my kids the gently caress up out of here if at all possible.

If it gets there, who's going to accept Americans?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

therobit posted:

Ok byeeeeeeeeee.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

porkface posted:

If it gets there, who's going to accept Americans?

therobit is planning on hoofing it to liberia

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

You're a disingenuous little shithead. I would agree with drat near anything else you want to do besides engaging in preemptive or retributive violence. Use the loving legal process. Arm yourselves for protection. Educate people about risks. Lobby elected leaders. The only thing I'm objecting to is this notion that it's justified to engage in vigilantism.

Your problem seems to be that you can't get along with anyone who doesn't screech loudly enough about how they are totally gonna murder them some nazis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Wait are you planning to take up arms with the millitia or flee the country with your kids in the event of 'war' breaking out. You've said both now.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
No, our problem is that you insist we only practice resistance that is authorized by our oppressors.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Quote day day saying we should go shoot them first you budass mouthbreather.

Good to see your ability to talk past people and ignore real life in favor of your imaginary world extends to this topic as well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

therobit posted:

You're a disingenuous little shithead. I would agree with drat near anything else you want to do besides engaging in preemptive or retributive violence. Use the loving legal process. Arm yourselves for protection. Educate people about risks. Lobby elected leaders. The only thing I'm objecting to is this notion that it's justified to engage in vigilantism.

Your problem seems to be that you can't get along with anyone who doesn't screech loudly enough about how they are totally gonna murder them some nazis.

Why don't you take a break from this thread if the thought of currently non-existent preemptive leftist violence is leading you to posts like this?

e: Here you go, the first 6 hours are on me, up to you if you decide you want to come back with better organized thoughts.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
My favorite thing about DnD for the entire like 16 years I've been reading it is people indignantly doubling down on a disagreement over strategy by taking a position like 'US leftists shouldn't start murdering right wingers in their beds' and pretend that everyone who disagrees with them more broadly is saying thay they actually should do that.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

therobit posted:

The only people who feel safer making a cannonball run for the border over being organized within their communities are the people who actively despise their communities and are just waiting for the moment to "use the legal process" to snitch on them to the Good Feds.

Your personal distinction between acceptable and unacceptible self defense against the political violence and extrajudicial murder currently occurring and a feature of our lives for the next three months will never ever matter, because you have made it clear that you are bailing on the country and will never serve on any jury after the fact.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

therobit posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chuds drove down a residential street in Portland yesterday and fired 9mm into random houses. Tell me again about how leftist community defense orgs are a problem.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Everyone should be like me. Find the guy with the most trump poo poo on the block and leave him a nice little note letting him know he can borrow your trash can for a couple weeks after election if he needs a place for all the trump flags.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Everyone should be like me. Find the guy with the most trump poo poo on the block and leave him a nice little note letting him know he can borrow your trash can for a couple weeks after election if he needs a place for all the trump flags.

ahem

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1322594733894569984?s=20

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

lol

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Screw that, imma take the moral high road all the way to the death camp

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
while we're still discussing "preemptive left violence" it seems like more footage has been released from the danielson/reinohl incident downtown and, suprise surprise, it appears danielson was running toward pappas confronting reinohl and started preemptively macing reinohl. i am by no means a reinohl defender but i do wonder how this would have played out for him had he not been armed https://twitter.com/Johnnthelefty/status/1323345936609734657?s=20

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

no i believe you'll find that I'm offering some neighborly love

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

while we're still discussing "preemptive left violence" it seems like more footage has been released from the danielson/reinohl incident downtown and, suprise surprise, it appears danielson was running toward pappas confronting reinohl and started preemptively macing reinohl. i am by no means a reinohl defender but i do wonder how this would have played out for him had he not been armed https://twitter.com/Johnnthelefty/status/1323345936609734657?s=20

Why wouldn't you be a defender of Reinhol? He said it happened like this and the video footage all backed it up, this footage doesn't show him doing anything but being targeted, like he said he was.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I'm not a defender of Reinohl's actions/tactics nor am I a critic of them. The entire conflict was far too complicated to make a sweeping general judgement. I simply don't know enough about the facts of the situation and, ultimately, will never be able to understand the motivating factors that lead to danielson bleeding out on the sidewalk.

there are plenty of other aspects of the entire saga that are clearly abhorrent beyond belief but the inciting incident and the surrounding media circus seemed to have wanted to focus more on ANTIFA GUNS DOWN FREEDOM LOVER IN THE STREETS OF PORTLAND than PRESIDENT APPROVES AND SUPPORTS EXTRAJUDICIAL EXECUTION

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

PRESIDENT APPROVES AND SUPPORTS EXTRAJUDICIAL EXECUTION

This part is actual both a) very clearly real and true and b) super loving bad for the future, separate from the circumstances of this one incident. It's another step forward in a long continuum of presidents of both parties getting more and more comfortable with and providing more and more public justification for the murder of Americans without trial by security services under dubious circumstances and dispensing with the notion of due process.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Oldest Man posted:

This part is actual both a) very clearly real and true and b) super loving bad for the future, separate from the circumstances of this one incident. It's another step forward in a long continuum of presidents of both parties getting more and more comfortable with and providing more and more public justification for the murder of Americans without trial by security services under dubious circumstances and dispensing with the notion of due process.

This. There is no police reform coming from anyone that is going to solve this.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well, still early but at least Warshington seems to be going the way it should (lol Culp, sex-Ed, reykdall, etc)

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Unless I'm misreading the results, it looks like Thurston County is getting two new commissioners, so that's good.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Are we really re-electing teddy?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

Are we really re-electing teddy?

it's beginning to look like i jinxed us with this post a few days back

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

if wheeler wins and mapps beats eudaly it's either going to be four years of teargas and pro-business pro-developer free-for-all or we force them to step down.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
portland local measures- going pretty well!
portland local races- wow i loving hate liberals!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

This.

Everything that was good, besides the transit bill, passed.

But loving gently caress Ted Wheeler! :(

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

:same:

Pretty stoked about preschool and psilocybin though. Not at the same time, of course. Ha ha.... unless....? 😳

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

punk rebel ecks posted:

This.

Everything that was good, besides the transit bill, passed.

But loving gently caress Ted Wheeler! :(

If it makes you feel better he's not going to get the majority of the votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If it makes you feel better he's not going to get the majority of the votes.

sorry, i used up all my moral victory dopamine in the primaries