Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nessus posted:

He's holding the gun as if it were his rather generous phallus.

Yeah. It would be a very bad day for him if there was an accidental discharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Our Flag Comics #5 (1942)

Superboy #52 (1956)

Super-Villain Team-Up #3 (1975)
This one would also fit in the bad-rear end panels thread.

Damage Control #4 (1989)

Slapstick #3 (2017)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Fuckin' Magnetos, how do they work?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #52 (1956)

One of my favorite thing in older comics is the little arrows guiding you through the panels.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

One of my favorite thing in older comics is the little arrows guiding you through the panels.

"Continued on page [n]" before advertisements :allears: Like did they really think kids were too stupid to understand that Hulk didn't just suddenly jump in the story to eat Hostess Fruit Pies for one page?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Darthemed posted:

Super-Villain Team-Up #3 (1975)
This one would also fit in the bad-rear end panels thread.

Today's lesson: Thou shalt not gently caress with Doctor Doom. <BA-WHOOM!> Thus endeth the lesson.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Continued on page [n]" before advertisements :allears: Like did they really think kids were too stupid to understand that Hulk didn't just suddenly jump in the story to eat Hostess Fruit Pies for one page?
It the kid is young enough or comics are new to them, I wouldn't assume that they understand such things without explanation. When I first started reading comics as a kid, my dad told me I didn't need to read the narration boxes - the only important text was in the speech bubbles. I don't remember how much sense the stuff I read back then made to me, but it was probably pretty confusing given that I skipped the bits that would give context!

Kids are very good at getting confused. They're both much smarter and much dumber than we typically give them credit for.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It was also a lot more common for comics to have multiple stories in the past, so someone might think it was a cliffhanger ending.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That was back when there was lead in everything, they probably did need the warning

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Could it be a holdover from magazines? When I read things on paper :corsair:, there'd be "continued on..." around all ads, plus long articles would start in one section and then end in the less valuable end pages.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uthor posted:

Could it be a holdover from magazines? When I read things on paper :corsair:, there'd be "continued on..." around all ads, plus long articles would start in one section and then end in the less valuable end pages.

OK I have literally never seen this, and I've read periodicals from the 20s and 30s. Must be an American thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK I have literally never seen this, and I've read periodicals from the 20s and 30s. Must be an American thing.

They still do it today, it's more common in really thick magazines that have tons of clothing/perfume ads like Vanity Fair and Vogue.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Might up my posting rate as a way to distract myself from the events of early November.

V...- Comics #1 (1942)

Strange Tales #80 (1961)

The Mighty Marvel Superheroes' Cookbook (1977)

Ranma 1/2 Vol. 7 (1996)

The Death-Defying 'Devil #5 (2020)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the tailor that specializes in making swimming trunks for skyscraper-sized naval mouthmonsters.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm the tailor that specializes in making swimming trunks for skyscraper-sized naval mouthmonsters.

I've said it before but I love that all old characters wore little trunks. Silver Surfer zooming the spaceway in his tiny silver underpants.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

He's holding the gun as if it were his rather generous phallus.
In Scandinavia we are allowed to show nudity in our comics:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

SimonChris posted:

Worst X-Man Ever #5

Am I the only one who thought/thinks Maggott was awesome? No? Just me?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Red posted:

maggott is the most polarizing x-man

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alhazred posted:

In Scandinavia we are allowed to show nudity in our comics:

It took a long rear end time, but that's the closest I've seen to a natural breast depicted in comics, and it took Scandinavia to do it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I'll never get tired of people ragging on Cyclops. Always the straight man, never the fave.

Why is he old?

Kwyndig posted:

It took a long rear end time, but that's the closest I've seen to a natural breast depicted in comics, and it took Scandinavia to do it.
You're welcome:tipshat:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Red posted:

I'm just confused about who the 6th person at the table is and how that doesn't look anything like Sunfire.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kalli posted:

I'm just confused about who the 6th person at the table is and how that doesn't look anything like Sunfire.

it's the eponymous worst x-man ever, whose mutant power was to explode.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhyno posted:

I guess it's possible but from what I remember Joseph was basically a transporter clone that had his mind blanked and he was programmed to kill Magneto. There was some crap about him being more powerful since he didn't have the blocks Magneto developed or something. There was a flashback to right after Avalon fell, Magnetos mind was restored and he had to fight Joseph. Joseph took a hit to the head and ends up at the convent or wherever Rogue found him. Magneto goes into hiding and comes back as Erik the Red?

I dunno, it's all a jumble in my head at this point. It was just really stupid.

Since the actual writer who revealed Joseph's back story was Alan Davis (or maybe Fabian Nicheza), I think it was there idea that Joseph was a Magneto clone.

A rumour I had heard back in the day is the original plan for Joseph was that he was Proteus. He came back from the dead and made himself like Magnero so as to protect himself from metal (Proteus's one weakness.) But lost his memory and so on.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's the eponymous worst x-man ever, whose mutant power was to explode.

I think it's important to point out that his power isn't to then reform or make explosions or anything, literally just he can explode. Once.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

When's the last time we saw Joseph, I wonder if he's on Krakoa. He's done enough to differentiate himself from Magneto I'd think he'd count as a separate person.

Uncanny X-Men #16

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 2, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

There were a lot of bare-breasted women in The Phantom (Jaime Vallvé -drawn stories especially) and their breasts looked nothing like the breasts of actual women (African or otherwise) who never wore brassieres. Not that six-year-old me was complaining.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Retro Futurist posted:

I think it's important to point out that his power isn't to then reform or make explosions or anything, literally just he can explode. Once.

How do you find out that this is your power without, you know, fatally exploding?

It looks like a fun series so maybe I'll find out myself!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Beast has a mutant-power-diagnosis machine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Savage Wolverine #5: Wolverine is in the Savage Land and (along with the Hulk) has inadvertently freed an ancient evil alien, so now they, along with Shanna the She-Devil and Amadeus Cho (he's the guy in the suit and he's glowing because it gives him a force field, since I know these questions will come up) have to come up with a plan to stop it.

This is the actual end to the story, there is no follow-up to this in subsequent story arcs. It is possibly my favorite ending to a story in comics ever.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Savage Wolverine #5: Wolverine is in the Savage Land and (along with the Hulk) has inadvertently freed an ancient evil alien, so now they, along with Shanna the She-Devil and Amadeus Cho (he's the guy in the suit and he's glowing because it gives him a force field, since I know these questions will come up) have to come up with a plan to stop it.

This is the actual end to the story, there is no follow-up to this in subsequent story arcs. It is possibly my favorite ending to a story in comics ever.
Is that a giant-size Man-Thing?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Why is kid genius Amadeus Cho 45 on that first page? Time travel? Simulacrum? Clone?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is that the alien pilot from the first alien movie

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Why is kid genius Amadeus Cho 45 on that first page? Time travel? Simulacrum? Clone?

I wondered this too, but I think it's meant to represent him starting to Hulk out. Like, his features are getting broader and larger, that kind of thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I wondered this too, but I think it's meant to represent him starting to Hulk out. Like, his features are getting broader and larger, that kind of thing.

He's not a hulk yet when that was written, that's Bruce Banner getting eaten by a whale.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

TwoPair posted:

Love the masked but otherwise nude look for Wolvie.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Frank Cho can't draw teens? I dunno. :shrug:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TwoPair posted:

Frank Cho can't draw teens? I dunno. :shrug:

I don't think I want to see Frank Cho drawing teens.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

SimonChris posted:

Uncanny X-Men #16
What in the world is going on with Betsy's right hand and the way she's holding that sword.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nothing good ever happens to Kobeni in Chainsaw Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the flopsweatiest character in manga, poor Kobeni