Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Tarnop posted:

It's true that they bent them to their favour. It's not true that they follow them.

They overwhelmingly do though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Private Speech posted:

Here's the buried lede in what Jaeluni posted, for tl;dr purposes:

And yes this is a reason for a lenient sentence, because, well, uhh.

listen affluenza is a serious disease. treating it requires a sense of decency and respect, since the only cure is

:guillotine:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Frekkie Melody posted:

Big companies are getting fined left right and centre for breaking rules. I mean its a slap on the wrist but the examples are numerous. They break the rules a lot.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Frekkie Melody posted:

I must be really unlucky then, because I've yet to work for a company that hasn't broken the law.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Union branch caseloads would suggest they absolutely do break the law constantly.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lungboy posted:

Union branch caseloads would suggest they absolutely do break the law constantly.

Can confirm, I work for a union.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Sorry to distract, but is the USA election tonight as in when I get up tomorrow I'll have some idea of how much of a failed state it is? Or is that the next day?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sorry to distract, but is the USA election tonight as in when I get up tomorrow I'll have some idea of how much of a failed state it is? Or is that the next day?

Tuesday night into Wednesday, I think.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Next day

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Next day

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gf & I are thinking of staying up for at least a few hours of the results, where do the cool goons hang out if we want some non-lib analysis? Guessing the US threads are a bit crowded

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Gf & I are thinking of staying up for at least a few hours of the results, where do the cool goons hang out if we want some non-lib analysis? Guessing the US threads are a bit crowded

they are but they're pretty actively good about punishing hot lib takes in both the 2020 gen elec thread and the uspol threads. don't expect much of a call before 10 or 11 eastern at the earliest.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Borrovan posted:

I am thinking of not staying and waking up at 5am to watch live wrestling from Japan because at least that will give me a sense of joy and pleasure. The best US election will manage is a mild sense of relief before remembering Joe's brain is mush and everyone around him well br neoliberal hawks desperate to restore American hegemony in places like Latin America.

At least DDT Ultimate Party will feature an inevitably silly and amusing match between MMA legend Shinya Aoki and company president Sanshiro Takagi in a weapons rumble, on top of legit top tier wrestlers like Jun Akiyama and Konosuke Takeshita and Tetsuya Endo and Daisuke Sasaki.

This'll be the first Presidential election I've not stayed up to watch at least part of since 2000

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I wouldn't normally stay up for a US Election, but since my wife is in hospital for the next few days, I may need this to take my mind off it.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

mediaphage posted:

they are but they're pretty actively good about punishing hot lib takes in both the 2020 gen elec thread and the uspol threads. don't expect much of a call before 10 or 11 eastern at the earliest.

If it's anything other than a total landslide I can see it dragging out like 2000. I can't see Trump being a gracious loser and the Republicans have been laying the groundwork for a contested result for months.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I've never watched one before & am not in the least invested, just seems like a thing to do during lockdown & also an excuse to eat hot dogs & drink bourbon & show up to jury service still drunk to drown out the horror.
Cheers 'phage (username/post btw), will give them a look-in :)

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

I think even with a landslide its going to drag on. It seems like a lot of people are riled up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/AJScattergood/status/1323348563686993924
Marginally less poo poo than expected!

Although I think it was the SpyCops bill they planned to abstain on all the way.

The optics of revoking rule of law at home but not abroad are... Interesting

E I guess also now kiers krew know from the numbers that it will go through even if they vote against which they couldn't be sure of before

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

There's a fairly plausible chance we wont have the us election results before late november/early december.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It'll be a draw like in Veep and we can enjoy another four months of it.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

TheRat posted:

Sir Keith is at it again. Wasn't nationalised broadband just about as popular a policy as it could possibly be?

Random Integer posted:

From what I remember it was simultaneously popular and also considered completely unfeasible and therefore a sign that Labour weren't fit to govern.

In other words the British public have been so thoroughly abused by Capitalism into believing good things aren't possible that simply acknowledging something as good automatically means its impossible and actually you should do the opposite.

I agree with Random Integers second point, but I see "labour's policy X was actually super popular" repeated a lot here, and it doesn't ring true, especially on this. I really think a lot of lefties, and UKMT in particular, have a bad habit of clinging to the odd poll that asks things like "would you like X?" as solid evidence that Y policy is actually incredibly popular and total vote winner. I did a lot of campaigning at the election (in and near Glasgow, for reference) and I have to say that I didn't meet anyone who thought it sounded like a good idea, outside of left wing labour voters.

The most common objections to "free broadband" (which is how it was universally referred to) was just an obvious electoral bribe that was basically pointless "because broadband is only £15 a month anyway." It really tied into a lot of people's long standing perceptions of labour "giving sky TV to benefit cheats" as well as being something that self-identifying "sensible" people latched onto as a clear example of a specifically corbynist silly/unrealistic/extreme/stupid/not-sensible economic policy.

It's a really good example of a decent policy being communicated pretty poorly and without much clear planning or responses to account for it easily feeding into pre-exisiting negative stereotypes as well as election specific narratives ("Labour's manifesto is just a hodge podge of giveaways").

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lobster God posted:

If it's anything other than a total landslide I can see it dragging out like 2000. I can't see Trump being a gracious loser and the Republicans have been laying the groundwork for a contested result for months.

i expect if not a landslide, then an overwhelming result that leaves little room for doubt. not because i feel overconfident like in 2016 but because the same signs that pointed to trouble for clinton in 2016 are very seriously pointing to huge, huge trouble for trump. of course he'll do what he can to cast doubt on the result but even with the large mail-in vote this year i expect an early result because some of the key battleground states like NC and FL have already been counting their mail-in ballots, and will be able to give a result that night.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lobster God posted:

on the plus side, it's really looking like it might be a landslide

i r in texas and my state's a tossup, lol

that's still like a 930ish est call at earliest, mind, barring a blowout in Texas, they're going to want to wait until mountain results are nontrivially in

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Anyone else getting the vibe that the tories are expecting a serious backbench rebellion on lockdown?
The Beeb is laying it on really thick. Leading imbecile Steve Baker got the personal treatment at Downing Street yesterday. There's been regular updates on financial support measures over the past day or so, like there's some furious back-room bargaining going on.
The bill is going to pass because it'll get labour support, but a serious rebellion makes the tories look like a party that wants mass graves. They've barely got over being the party that wants to starve children.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
There's definitely bargaining and pressuring going on, the expected number of rebels has supposedly been pushed down from 40+ to 15 or something

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

josh04 posted:

Feel like there's no scenario where "anti-lockdown party" is a strong suit by next May, but maybe I lack Farage's frog instincts.

Farage is probably the smartest political operator in the UK, context the Brexit Party isn't really a political party it was modelled on the Italian Five Star model but didn't even pretend at the direct democracy stuff, the Brexit Party is functionally a Patreon for Farage to get money, sell gold and maintain a public profile.

It's going to be a constantly shifting chimera thing for whatever the dumb latest culture war thing is, I honestly half-expected a redirection when Farage was calling BLM ISIS because both groups take issues with statues, but yeah it'll be Masks then probably race-to-the-bottom deregulation stuff then dismantling the welfare state then anti-climate refugee poo poo, whatever futurist stuff you think is most likely, Farage isn't selling policies he's selling a brand identity and he's set on making it a subscription service.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Big companies are getting fined left right and centre for breaking rules. I mean its a slap on the wrist but the examples are numerous. They break the rules a lot.

The fines are immaterially small, so they do what they want and dgaf.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1323218368674045952?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Went to Tesco this evening because it's quieter (especially the bus) & boy do I regret that. Someone threw a cake at the bus on the way back & we had nearly 30 minutes of hanging around on a bus with the engine turned off & the door wide open while they got a replacement out at 10:30pm. In 5 degree weather. At least it wasn't windy.

In short, the wee scrotes that threw a cake at a bus & caused a minute fracture in the front windscreen can do one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Went to Tesco this evening because it's quieter (especially the bus) & boy do I regret that. Someone threw a cake at the bus on the way back & we had nearly 30 minutes of hanging around on a bus with the engine turned off & the door wide open while they got a replacement out at 10:30pm. In 5 degree weather. At least it wasn't windy.

In short, the wee scrotes that threw a cake at a bus & caused a minute fracture in the front windscreen can do one.

A cake fractured a windscreen? Sounds like there was something in the cake! (Or is 'cake' code for something else?)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A cake fractured a windscreen? Sounds like there was something in the cake! (Or is 'cake' code for something else?)

A girl cried her own pelvis bone out, it's a fookin disgrace

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

E:f,b

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

John rent-a-ghoul

Not putting anything past Starmer but it would be wild if just objectively pointing out relative press coverage vs material hardship of the plight of UK Jewish people and UK disabled people was literally made bannable within the party. Like future scholars have to just Cancel the wayback machine so Jessica Phillips Jr can continue pursuing party unity.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A cake fractured a windscreen?

You're not familiar with Scottish cuisine are you? :newlol:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Endjinneer posted:

Anyone else getting the vibe that the tories are expecting a serious backbench rebellion on lockdown?
The Beeb is laying it on really thick. Leading imbecile Steve Baker got the personal treatment at Downing Street yesterday. There's been regular updates on financial support measures over the past day or so, like there's some furious back-room bargaining going on.
The bill is going to pass because it'll get labour support, but a serious rebellion makes the tories look like a party that wants mass graves. They've barely got over being the party that wants to starve children.
Out of curiosity has there ever been a situation where a prime minister has announced a major policy to the public on television, but then it got voted down in parliament so it didn't end up happening?
It's clearly going to pass, but I was wondering what would actually happen if it didn't.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Windscreens are layers of glass and plastic, so don't shatter, but aren't toughened so can chip easily. If that chip is right in front of the driver they probably can't continue because of the legal ramifications of hitting someone with a vehicle with (arguably) compromised vision.

Toughened glass doesn't chip easily, but instead it catestrophically destructs due to the stresses in the glass being released. Which is why you don't get toughened windscreens, the first bit of gravel would make it blow, which would turn a minor incident into a major one if you are on a motorway for example.

Funfact - it took years of campaigning to force these laminated windscreens into cars, and before that drivers were routinely decapitated in rtc's that we would consider trivial, because without a seatbelt you would fly through the window, your skull would break the glass but your shoulders wouldn't and your momentum would mean your body rode into the cut

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CancerCakes posted:

Windscreens are layers of glass and plastic, so don't shatter, but aren't toughened so can chip easily. If that chip is right in front of the driver they probably can't continue because of the legal ramifications of hitting someone with a vehicle with (arguably) compromised vision.

Toughened glass doesn't chip easily, but instead it catestrophically destructs due to the stresses in the glass being released. Which is why you don't get toughened windscreens, the first bit of gravel would make it blow, which would turn a minor incident into a major one if you are on a motorway for example.

Funfact - it took years of campaigning to force these laminated windscreens into cars, and before that drivers were routinely decapitated in rtc's that we would consider trivial, because without a seatbelt you would fly through the window, your skull would break the glass but your shoulders wouldn't and your momentum would mean your body rode into the cut

I always did wonder why windscreens were the way they were. Neat!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Out of curiosity has there ever been a situation where a prime minister has announced a major policy to the public on television, but then it got voted down in parliament so it didn't end up happening?
It's clearly going to pass, but I was wondering what would actually happen if it didn't.

I think Cameron announced we'd be putting boots on the ground in Syria before Based Ed noped him on it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/everyone-liverpool-tested-covid-19-19210041

quote:

Two thousand military personnel will arrive in the city later this week to roll-out a huge programme of hundreds of thousands of tests as Liverpool becomes the centre of the government's new strategy to fight the virus.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has talked of rapid mass testing as offering a "moonshot" solution which could help bring the UK out of the coronavirus crisis - and the key plan will begin in Liverpool this week.

Local leaders have been working with government and put the city forward for the crucial pilot programme in the hope it will drive down infection levels and potentially mean an easing of restrictions before Christmas.

Liverpool residents and workers will be tested using a combination of existing swab tests, as well as new lateral flow tests, which can rapidly turn around results within an hour without the need to be processed in a lab, as well as ‘LAMP’ technology due to be deployed in Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust for NHS staff.

The pilot will help to inform a blueprint for how mass testing can be achieved and how fast and reliable covid-19 testing can be delivered at scale.

etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CancerCakes posted:

A schoolmate's boyfriend - 1975 - ended up with his mother's head in his lap after a RTA (before laminated windscreens were compulsory). IIRC he committed suicide a couple of years later. (Ed: don't ask me how her head got to the passenger seat from going through the windscreen).

crispix posted:

You're not familiar with Scottish cuisine are you? :newlol:

So, like dwarf bread then?

Vitamin P posted:

John rent-a-ghoul

Not putting anything past Starmer but it would be wild if just objectively pointing out relative press coverage vs material hardship of the plight of UK Jewish people and UK disabled people was literally made bannable within the party. Like future scholars have to just Cancel the wayback machine so Jessica Phillips Jr can continue pursuing party unity.

During a debate on Anti-semitism a couple of years ago at one of our CLP all member meetings, someone raised the spectre of The Lobby and he was told his remark was not helpful by Someone else. Later on, Someone came up to him and said "Be careful, Blogg's - Blogg being a CLP member - wife's name is "Jessica"" and we're like "and?" (apparently we were supposed to guess that his wife was Jewish from this comment.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 3, 2020