Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think i missed out on half of the gathering spots in atelier elie because i never bothered using romauge cause douglas was one shotting enemies already and she was way more expensive to hire

feeling extremely bitter towards this game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

i think i missed out on half of the gathering spots in atelier elie because i never bothered using romauge cause douglas was one shotting enemies already and she was way more expensive to hire

feeling extremely bitter towards this game lol

did you make it to the other town?

I can definitely see walking away from the game with a negative impression if you never do, and you're not wrong that it's way better hidden than it really ought to be given its importance. It ought to be in like, a year 2 unmissable event or something but instead you have to talk to a specific character a bunch

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 2, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

did you make it to the other town?

I can definitely see walking away from the game with a negative impression if you never do, and you're not wrong that it's way better hidden than it really ought to be given its importance. It ought to be in like, a year 2 unmissable event or something but instead you have to talk to a specific character a bunch

yeah thankfully i'm in year 4 so if i hit meister rank i've got two years to go and i haven't wasted my time since i've continued synthesizing new stuff and had fairies do the bulk of gathering and synthesizing duties for me. i just. wish the game gave literally any sign there was an entire second town and second set of gathering spots lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Now that I've decided to take PSX emulation seriously, what are the generally-agreed-upon best PSX RPGs that don't rhyme with "Shminal Shmantasy" (since I've played those ones already)

Playing BoF4 already and have been told repeatedly to play Xenogears, and Persona 2 is high on my list since I loved 4 and 5 (my relationship with 5 is VERY COMPLICATED but it was still a fun game before the bullshit ending)

suikoden 2 is supposed to be good??? Gimme some recs, nerds

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

king's field is weird and clunky but if it gets its hooks into you surprisingly moody and immersive, it almost feels like an elder scrolls game imagined through a tense and unnerving dream

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

loquacius posted:

Now that I've decided to take PSX emulation seriously, what are the generally-agreed-upon best PSX RPGs that don't rhyme with "Shminal Shmantasy" (since I've played those ones already)

Playing BoF4 already and have been told repeatedly to play Xenogears, and Persona 2 is high on my list since I loved 4 and 5 (my relationship with 5 is VERY COMPLICATED but it was still a fun game before the bullshit ending)

Suikoden 1 and 2 are both good. 1 is short and you import your save into 2 for some fun bonuses so I'd recommend playing them in order.

Depending on your likes you might also want to consider Wild Arms, Front Mission 3, Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The PSX has a pretty good library. I'd look at: Wild ARMs, both Lunar games, and Legend of Mana.

If you're looking for jank, I really liked SaGa Frontier.

Tactics Ogre is a really good Strategy RPG.

I liked Vandal Hearts and Start Ocean 2 as a kid, but I have no idea if they hold up or if I was just a dumb kid.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Seconding Suikoden 1+2.

TO:LUCT if you're down for an SRPG.

Legend of Legaia

and Legend of Dragoon - hey stop laughing - is worth a look to check out the combat system.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Valkyrie Profile!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CYBEReris posted:

king's field is weird and clunky but if it gets its hooks into you surprisingly moody and immersive, it almost feels like an elder scrolls game imagined through a tense and unnerving dream

There's definitely a certain chaotic energy to them that I'm pretty fond of when it comes to early 3D games like that. It's like delving into unexplored ancient ruins where it's dark and dangerous and hard to get around and you never know which step you take will suddenly break the floor from under you, but at the same time that lack of safety and predictability also gives it a sense of adventure and mystery that's really hard to replicate artificially.

Games have gotten a lot better since those days overall, but it's fun to sometimes dip back to a time before game design of that sort started getting properly figured out and standardized.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Good PS1 rpgs that aren't FF and aren't the obvious picks:
Wild Arms 1/2 (2 has the better story but the far worse translation; it's almost impressive how badly they hosed up)
Valkyrie Profile
Tales of Destiny II/Eternia (Tales of Destiny is good too, but it's older and clunkier)
If you feel like dungeon crawling and/or monster collecting, Azure Dreams and Jade Cocoon

People hate on Star Ocean 2 a lot but it's still my favorite video game. Your mileage may vary.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks guys :tipshat:

I was pretty obsessed with Ogre Battle 64 and FFTA/2, so Tactics Ogre (and FFT too lol) would be pretty good picks for me. I've really liked Tales games from Symphonia onward too, so I'll take a look at those definitely. The rest of them I'll check out based on whim. That should hold me for a while.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tactics ogre ps1 has a fairly steep/noticeable level curve but there's a free training mode where you can pit your (ai controlled) units against one another. it's trivial to set up a never-ending loop and turn a couple of units into high level punching bags for the rest of your squad to use as needed

i still find this preferable to the skill and crafting quagmire of the psp version

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, for all the good the PSP remake brought into the game, I'd take the old levelling in a heartbeat.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

loquacius posted:

Monster Rancher 2 is pretty great and fairly unique.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Star Ocean the 2nd Story is nice, if you can deal with the yank. Grandia if you just want a nice little adventure beating up monsters. It's so charming it may hurt you if your alignment is evil, though.

Also BoF3 if you haven't already played it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

loquacius posted:

Play Suikoden 2 last because it's far better than any of the BoF or Xeno games. You could play Suikoden 1 first to get some extra background and save game data to let you use 1's OP-as-hell main character in Suikoden 2 but it's not necessary.

Looper posted:

tactics ogre ps1 has a fairly steep/noticeable level curve but there's a free training mode where you can pit your (ai controlled) units against one another. it's trivial to set up a never-ending loop and turn a couple of units into high level punching bags for the rest of your squad to use as needed

i still find this preferable to the skill and crafting quagmire of the psp version

PSX version also has all the wonderfully broken poo poo like Snapdragon, dragon magic in general, warrior gear for maxing out luck via training, and the pure gamebreaking power of reanimate+retissue. And Hobyrim's comically high accuracy with status effects.

Most of that isn't until the late/end game but I'll still take the PSX version over the grind clusterfuck of the PSP remake.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

so what exactly did they do with the PSP version?

E: coming from someone who has no knowledge of either version but that game is absolutely on my to-play list

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'd also recommend playing Suikoden 1 before 2, not just for the context, but because 1 is pretty short and you could knock it out in like a week of casual play.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Amppelix posted:

so what exactly did they do with the PSP version?

E: coming from someone who has no knowledge of either version but that game is absolutely on my to-play list

The original works how you'd expect and how every other game works. Each of your characters level up based on their own exp. Your main character might be a level 5 knight, and one of your dudes is level 4. There's an NPC that joins you at level 7 and then levels up from there.

In the PSP version, your characters don't have levels - your classes do. When you gain exp, your class gets it, not your character. All your knights will share that level, all your archers will share their levels, all your clerics share levels, etc. So anyone of the same class as someone else matches their level.

The problem comes when you're mid-late game and you unlock new classes. You unlock Sword Masters at level 15, well, your Sword Masters are level 1. You get a cool loving pirate when you're level 23, well he's level 1. Levelling the first few levels is easy, especially if you have multiples of the same class, but late game this is a loving terrible grind.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'm playing the famicom tales of phantasia for the first time and wow this is pretty hard at some points?? i got brickwalled by the boss just before you get arche and actually had to grind out a couple of levels just to have enough hp to deal with it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
re: tactics ogre psp, you've also got the skill system. each unit can equip up to 10 skills, of which you have far more than that to choose from. these range from weapon and element proficiencies to the ability to cast magic or use abilities to stuff that lets you deal bonus damage to certain types of enemies. these skills also have levels, and it takes an extremely long time to level just about anything up, and you need high level skills or your damage output suffers a whole bunch. the in-game descriptions of some skills also do not do a great job of informing the player of their actual impact on damage formulas

there's also the infamous crafting system. you can craft things, cool. almost all equipment recipes first call for you to craft the ingredients, and some ingredients (such as wootz steel) take several steps. many recipes also do not have a 100% chance of success, and while you can save scum easily enough, it all becomes very tedious. most good equipment has to be crafted and the best recipes only come from random drops in specific fights, which is this whole other thing

it does introduce the turnwheel system that fire emblem would later appropriate, and the art, translation, and general presentation are fantastic

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i love every tactics ogre but i also love to complain about some of the goofy mechanics

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

i love every tactics ogre but i also love to complain about some of the goofy mechanics

yeah I can spend a lot of time complaining about PSP Tactics Ogre but I would also do unspeakable things for another entry in the series

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

To the guy who was looking for PSX JRPGs earlier, Chrono Cross is questionable as a sequel to Trigger, and the plot is absolutely insane, but it's still a pretty fun game to actually play.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

babypolis posted:

yeah I can spend a lot of time complaining about PSP Tactics Ogre but I would also do unspeakable things for another entry in the series

:same:

If Matsuno doesn't end up working on FFXVI with YoshiP I hope he's willing and able to make more Ogre Battle games. Or a real sequel (or prequel) to FFT.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd prefer something in the existing Ogre Battle storyline, but I'd be happy with a Matuso-lead FFT as well.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Commander Keene posted:

To the guy who was looking for PSX JRPGs earlier, Chrono Cross is questionable as a sequel to Trigger, and the plot is absolutely insane, but it's still a pretty fun game to actually play.

I'm playing it right now and having a blast. Dildor Pierre is the best character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The last thing Matsuno wrote was the Ivalice raids in XIV and the writing in those sucked so I think i'd be fine with a new Ogre Battle or FFT without him.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Those stories were actually good, and he also wrote the Bozja storyline so he's still working with them.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

One of the original reasons I bought a PS2 is that the PS1 emulation at the time was too janky to allow me to finish playing Chrono Cross on my PC

like, in those days you had to put the game disc in your CD drive and it still had like a 45% success rate for various reasons

so yeah I have thoroughly played this one, thanks :tipshat: I can understand why a lot of people are angry at it for its treatment of the original game's cast, and the plot was overconvoluted spaghetti, but it was just so goddamn pretty and the combat system was really good and I will defend it to this day

Like, I've played SOME PS1 RPGs (FFs 7 through 9 for example) but I was late to the Sony scene so my PS1 game collection is pretty lacking, hence why I'm collecting recs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ogre Battle 64 ended with a baby being possessed by a deceased sorcerer, hovering into the air, killing someone with its mind, and swearing revenge, and then we never got another Ogre Battle game

No spoilertags on that poo poo because it's so disconnected from the rest of the game that I might as well have made it up

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've gotten near the end of OB64 with different playthroughs, but without fail something inconvenient happened and I lost interest in playing the game. I've never actually seen an ending.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One more note: I enjoyed Star Ocean 3, but I think the series is a one-and-done for me

y'know what game I immediately stopped hearing about once it actually came out, is Star Ocean 4

did anybody actually play that one

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

loquacius posted:

One more note: I enjoyed Star Ocean 3, but I think the series is a one-and-done for me

y'know what game I immediately stopped hearing about once it actually came out, is Star Ocean 4

I got everyone to level 200 in it

I don't know what's wrong with me sometimes

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The last thing Matsuno wrote was the Ivalice raids in XIV and the writing in those sucked so I think i'd be fine with a new Ogre Battle or FFT without him.

I mean, besides FFT events except Ramza really did get a poo poo deal, and FFXII-FFT chronology reversed it was mostly unoffensive? Had one annoying character but eh, whatever.

Bozja has the makings to be pretty cool so far, so I think Matsuno still got it. Plus, Crimson Shroud was well written despite being designed to torture individuals as a game.

loquacius posted:

"Everything... EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING" *bangs computer console in overacted frustration at contributing to blowing an alternate Earth due to stupidity*

MechaX fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 3, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

chrono cross is weird in that the emotional weight of the things that happen hit like a truck somehow regardless of whether you fully grasp what the hell's going on exactly. the music, the entropy in the pre-rendered backgrounds, and the cruel fates of the characters you meet all come together and the convolution only adds to the dreamlike quality, to the sensation of a universe trapped in a temporal-spacial nightmare. all while lugging around a massive band of misfits and weirdos who join up just because they can.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I recently listened to the Retronauts episode about Chrono Cross and at one point Jeremy Parish has to actually explain the plot in chronological order that things happened in, as opposed to the order you find out about them in-game, and it was basically completely unrecognizable to me as someone who played the game like five times total

like, for example, Lynx is Serge's dad, who was turned into an evil cat man by an evil computer as payback for wandering into its domain. I had no memory of this whatsoever, maybe because because you find out about it in the immediate aftermath of the toughest boss fight in the game and it was kind of a blur. FATE the evil supercomputer running the world was an element to the game that could have been much cooler if it had been hinted at more.

The Miguel fight, though, goddamn the music and set design coupled with the difficulty, now that was showmanship

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also a game with like fifty playable characters in it sounded like the kind of poo poo I should have loved, but realistically the majority of them never saw action

The game did a decent job of making sure you didn't, like, pick a core of 3 characters and never use anything else, but the huge cast ended up feeling more like a gimmick than I'd hoped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this unassuming motherfucker right here

with his straw hat and his capri pants and his abuse of a game mechanic I was only half paying attention to beforehand, and the sunset behind Leene's loving Bell