Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

no, low turnout dooms trump.

Heh, so low turnout dooms him and high turnout might doom him? I am not seeing many options here. Which I guess is what the polls have been saying for a long time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Antillie posted:

So low turnout tomorrow will probably help Biden, this make sense to me.

However, crazy high turnout helps his math for flipping Texas, which would doom Trump.

So, same result but different map either way?

Texas has already beaten it's 2016 vote total in early votes alone, largely because of a massive surge in blue cities and surrounding suburbs. If exactly 0 votes were cast tomorrow, the chances of Biden having won Texas would skyrocket.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Antillie posted:

Heh, so low turnout dooms him and high turnout might doom him? I am not seeing many options here. Which I guess is what the polls have been saying for a long time now.

high turnout of solely white, non college educated men will help him.

think of it this way:

we know people who voted biden are fare more likely to vote early

100 mil people voted early

the democratic party has already banked many of the votes it need. the republican party likely has not - and if some of the worst case scenarios are true, early voting republicans by party ID are defecting at 10-15%.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Here's my map just to have it on record

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

high turnout of solely white, non college educated men will help him.

think of it this way:

we know people who voted biden are fare more likely to vote early

100 mil people voted early

the democratic party has already banked many of the votes it need. the republican party likely has not - and if some of the worst case scenarios are true, early voting republicans by party ID are defecting at 10-15%.

The only number I ever saw for this was 6%. If its 10%+ I think a blue Texas is almost certain.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Antillie posted:

The only number I ever saw for this was 6%. If its 10%+ I think a blue Texas is almost certain.

6% gain (because biden does lose some voters) on the low end.

blue texas is trickier because it does rely on generally better democratic turnout than normal, but we do have many indications that thats the case...

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

6% gain (because biden does lose some voters) on the low end.

blue texas is trickier because it does rely on generally better democratic turnout than normal, but we do have many indications that thats the case...

Well then.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwVJ7FWc4rQ

Looking at overconfident maps is giving me anxiety. Don't think I'm gonna sleep well tonight.

🤞 I guess.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sanguinia posted:

The next two days are going to be a special hell for me as a social studies teacher.

Turn on the news. Take nips from a discreet flask hidden in your top drawer while streaming West Wing on your phone.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

let me put it this way: 100 million people have voted already and estimates of the aggregate distribution range from 70/30 biden/trump to 60/40 at worse. trump needs huge turnout solely amongst his voters.

The silent majority are going to hold history's biggest MAGA rally tomorrow across the nation, and then we'll see. Then we'll all see. Biden still wins because even if 50 million people show up tomorrow, they've got to significantly outpace a 60/40 split since that's just 1/3 of the vote.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Antillie posted:

Well then.

buddy you can't just post references to this movie a couple days after Captain Ramius dies :(

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
He's consistent.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1323471421721464832
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1323470806240927745
Those cursed Wealthy Liberal Hypocrites!

oops I posted this in the wrong thread. Thread relevant content: every Trump supporter knows that they will never care about another politician as much as they care about Trump. He's their loving cult leader and they will do crazy things tomorrow and after. I don't know what exactly.

Wilbur Swain fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 3, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FBS posted:

buddy you can't just post references to this movie a couple days after Captain Ramius dies :(

0/10, didn't refer to him as the "Vilnius Schoolmaster."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I legit don't even know what I'm feeling right now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

SalTheBard posted:

Me IRL

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LegendaryFrog posted:

For a dissenting opinion... "serious data analyst" gummi is going with this.

https://twitter.com/gummibear737/status/1323395067692912640

These twitter accounts are going to be a fun visit in a few days.

I mean, you can't discount virus skeptics as a barometer of public opinion, because unfortunately there are plenty of virus skeptics out there

but on the other hand they're real fuckin stupid, so I'm not going to put a lot of stock into their predictions

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I feel the weight of evidence suggesting cautious optimism ramming face-first into the anti optimism instinct that's been drilled irrevocably into my brain by the past year, and the resulting feeling is very uncomfortable

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
OK. If the rust belt holds (WI/MI/MN) then Biden just needs one of the following to win: AZ/FL/GA/NC/PA/TX

Any one of those and Biden should squeak it out (or more, obv, for the bigger ones).

Trump needs all of them.

So...hopefully by 9PM EST we'll have an answer re: NC, GA, or FL. PA is gonna be a slog, most likely.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

OAquinas posted:

OK. If the rust belt holds (WI/MI/MN) then Biden just needs one of the following to win: AZ/FL/GA/NC/PA/TX

Any one of those and Biden should squeak it out (or more, obv, for the bigger ones).

Trump needs all of them.

So...hopefully by 9PM EST we'll have an answer re: NC, GA, or FL. PA is gonna be a slog, most likely.

If Biden takes TX he is not squeaking it out, he is rewriting the national political landscape for the next decade at least.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SalTheBard posted:

it's called 'hope'. i understand if it feels strange and unfamiliar

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Antillie posted:

If Biden takes TX he is not squeaking it out, he is rewriting the national political landscape for the next decade at least.

Complete disagreement here. Whatever unusual gains Biden makes will be written-off as people wanting to be rid of Trump until the Democrats sustains them at the 2022 midterms.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aramis posted:

Complete disagreement here. Whatever unusual gains Biden makes will be written-off as people wanting to be rid of Trump until the Democrats sustains them at the 2022 midterms.

It's a census year, so whoever holds state legislatures gets to draw new districts and literally rewrite the map. Breaking Republican gerrymanders means that those gains will be much more durable.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Aramis posted:

Maybe, but if Biden carries the Texas House then it will break 18 years of painstaking gerrymandering in the second most populous state in the nation. And there is no way that won't impact the 2022 midterms.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 3, 2020

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Antillie posted:

Oh, quite. TX is kind of a "if he wins that he's almost guaranteed to be winning one of the other ones" but I'm including it for completeness.

Remember: assuming WI/MI hold, if/when one of the 6 goes blue you're free to exhale and collapse into your chair.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

LeeMajors posted:

0/10, didn't refer to him as the "Vilnius Schoolmaster."
Both the book and the movie hold up reasonably well as entertainment (the "Russian" accents are still hilarious though).

Antillie posted:

Maybe, but if Biden carries the Texas House then it will break 18 years of painstaking gerrymandering in the second most populous state in the nation. And there is no way that won't impact the 2022 midterms.
I think the issue is, not just in TX but most states, will it matter enough in the face of a midterm election.

vvv Expressing caution at declaring eternal victory while ignoring the generally-observed trend in midterm voting (party in charge loses seats) is hardly panicking.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 3, 2020

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Zero_Grade posted:

I think the issue is, not just in TX but most states, will it matter enough in the face of a midterm election.

Trying to even IMAGINE the next midterm right now is an incredibly useless exercise. We don't even know what the board is going to look like, so how can we project two years of gameplay forward? Even if you start panickedly presuming that the Pendulum MUST swing back literally at the very next possible opportunity, it could swing back an INCH as easily as a mile. Thats one reason why running up the score in the House is just as important as winning the Senate.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Antillie posted:

Honestly, I've seen all the bullshit from the outgoing Republicans who lose in elections in other states (PA, WI, MI). It would not surprise me in the slightest if an outgoing republican Texas legislature, in its lame duck session, tried to pass a bill that surrendered the House's ability to affect the districting process.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

No, I refuse to fall into your trap. as much as I want to.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I appreciate your optimism brother and/or sister. I just feel so goddamn on edge after 2016 that I don't even want to give myself even a little bit of hope.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dixville Notch let’s do this!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
hold onto your butts

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
When do we get Notch results??

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
I'm here to die.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

This is the election. And its ending, one second at a time.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

The in-person turnout for the 2020 election has plummeted by more than 50% since 2016, according to these Dixville Notch results. So much for that election day republican surge!

Edit: Biden sweeped. Won unanimously in Dixville Notch.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Tom Friedman's brainworms are terminal at this point.

https://twitter.com/Nick_L_Miller/status/1323455284841467906

All those times the Republicans compromised with Obama.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I would like to request a thread rule that all pictures posted here must include the use of googly eyes (or a close approximation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

i watched a live stream of dixville but it was too quiet or blurry to even understand who won so awesome. hope it's not an omen.

edit:
biden 5
trump 0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixville_Notch,_New_Hampshire