Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Gstu posted:

I'm watching my second election from overseas, so I will go to bed in about 3 hours, and I arrive for my totally normal work day at about 10:00PM eastern time, just as things start to get really interesting.

Hooray!

Same, I'll be up maybe 8pm America time.

And, sorta like everyone drinking I got insomnia so I take mirtazapine before bed, because the strong stuff like ambien just gets to my head. Usually I take 2/3rds a pill. Tonight I took a whole pill! Gonna be a real wild night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It isn't a general election in Georgia if the voting machines don't break

https://twitter.com/cbs46/status/1323616434816245761

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If Biden wins please embed "Fight Song" in the C-SPAM background

If Trump wins please embed "Fight Song" in the D&D background

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/pkgQ88G8Hj8

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Lizard Combatant posted:

Wait, there's actually a Swearengin running?

e: tell me her slogan was "swear her in"?!

Shame on any Swearengen that doesn’t run on half price pussy.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

the last good battles album

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

military cervix posted:

As a european, it seems I can get access to both CNN and NBC for election night. Which would be better to have on in the background while I incessantly F5 Twitter? I have no knowledge about american TV news.

Follow this thread

I am expecting people's twitter/link game to be ON POINT

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Paracaidas posted:

Oh, I don't expect her to win. Or frankly, even keep it close. But how she runs compared to Biden and downballot Dems will certainly be illuminating for a couple particular theories.

I'm wondering if we'll be able to see an effect, and what it would be. One of the theories behind Obama's successful, and Bernie's unsuccessful, primary campaigns, and the "leftist/DSA" pitch for general elections, is that these candidates will draw out unlikely and first time voters. What I'm not sure is if these new voters will just vote swearingen and leave the rest of the ballot blank, or if they'll vote Biden and other Dems too, or if they'll split tickets because they've bought in to Trump's economic populist bullshit. I.e. I'm wondering what the actual effects on other races will be, and I'm not sure what to look for - is it turnout, is it ticket splitting, is it blank votes elsewhere?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

Either would be fine. NBC will be more low key while CNN is more prone to sensationalism, but they'll have the same data and make the same calls as anyone else. They'll both also have a lot of mindless drivel and silly set pieces to fill time.

A lot of it comes down to the personalities of the presenters and the tone of the guests. Check them both out and go with the one you like better.

Late night drunk MSNBC is where it's at imo. More fun in a 2008/2012 kinda year than 2016 though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can non-Americans speak to whether there is so much money and effort spent to get out the vote in your country? I see people post Instagram stories of anyone even slightly famous doing something to encourage voting and it’s just embarrassing we have to go to these lengths.

I also think people will slack off in 2024.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Harlock posted:

It isn't a general election in Georgia if the voting machines don't break

https://twitter.com/cbs46/status/1323616434816245761

Republicans reaping what they sow

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

B B posted:

Yiiiiiiiiikes. Glad we haven't had much of that here. I am currently in Arlington, VA, but am moving to Richmond, VA in a couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to getting out of Northern Virginia, but Richmond has obviously been much more of a hotbed for this sort of stuff than where I am at now.

Richmond loving owns and even if you're down in the fan (which is where everyone lives "downtown") there haven't really been many issues. You're going to love it here compared to NOVA. Even Short Pump which is seen as mini-NOVA isn't even comparable. I lived out there for 4 years before moving to Glen Allen and was perfectly happy out there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Josh Lyman posted:

Can non-Americans speak to whether there is so much money and effort spent to get out the vote in your country? I see people post Instagram stories of anyone even slightly famous doing something to encourage voting and it’s just embarrassing we have to go to these lengths.

i'm not canadian (yet) but definitely not here - but then, elections only last like eight weeks start to finish so there's not really time to get weary from it

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Josh Lyman posted:

We just get fined if we don't vote.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Josh Lyman posted:

Dems historically slack off in mid-terms so this is much more likely to happen in 2022 than 2024.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Josh Lyman posted:

The rules on how much money you can spend in uk election are super strict so not really. You do get celebrities canvassing / doing events for parties sometimes though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/W10F0ezCTIQ

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

OK whatever weird slap fight happened on the last few pages cut it out.

Fair warning to people who want to meltdown in this thread: I, like most of the mods/IK, will become increasingly drunk/high over the next 12 hours so ... post at your own risk.

Yessss can’t wait for “General Election Posting Station: MURDER HORNET FONDUE”

On a related note, lol:

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1323629747029594112?s=21

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

I went to look and this failure in Georgia is a likely net D gain. Bravo Georgia elections worker who routed all the broken voting machines away from Atlanta to rural counties!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Artificial Kid posted:

We just get fined if we don't vote.

Same here...theoretically. Are there places where they actually enforce that?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

JohnCompany posted:

I'm wondering if we'll be able to see an effect, and what it would be. One of the theories behind Obama's successful, and Bernie's unsuccessful, primary campaigns, and the "leftist/DSA" pitch for general elections, is that these candidates will draw out unlikely and first time voters. What I'm not sure is if these new voters will just vote swearingen and leave the rest of the ballot blank, or if they'll vote Biden and other Dems too, or if they'll split tickets because they've bought in to Trump's economic populist bullshit. I.e. I'm wondering what the actual effects on other races will be, and I'm not sure what to look for - is it turnout, is it ticket splitting, is it blank votes elsewhere?

That is always challenging to get to--if there's a spike in D turnout in WV is that Biden? Paula? AntiTrump? I'm mostly focused on how Biden does and how she compares to the Dem house candidates, in that I don't think anything short of a victory "proves" the theory right, but it can certainly hint in that direction. Say she loses 55-45 (which would certainly beat any reasonable expectation)... that reads differently if Biden loses 53-47 compared to if he gets beat by 25. Meanwhile if she underperforms or matches downballot Dems, that throws some cold water on the idea that her platform is the path forward for Dems in red spaces.

Or you wait for the CCES and dive in when even fewer people care!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Elotana posted:

If Biden wins please embed "Fight Song" in the C-SPAM background

If Trump wins please embed "Fight Song" in the D&D background

No, embed "There's Hope For the World" by Ron Wasserman from the soundtrack of Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Youth Decay posted:

I thought the polls were showing a strong chance of Georgia flipping blue this year?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I thought the polls were showing a strong chance of Georgia flipping blue this year?

Showing a chance. I don't believe in it, personally

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll be honest guys, I don't think I see a way that Bernie can still win this :ohdear:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mostly due to the early vote, however. Election day turnout is going to be tilted towards the GOP in many areas.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I’m reading this correctly, Election Day voting is 50/50 in Broward County which is historically very Blue and Hillary won 66% in 2016. If we assume early voting will skew heavy Dem, then 50/50 for today’s votes would be good news. Do I have that right?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

That's a county outside the Atlanta metro area that went 60% for Trump in 2016.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

Richmond loving owns and even if you're down in the fan (which is where everyone lives "downtown") there haven't really been many issues. You're going to love it here compared to NOVA. Even Short Pump which is seen as mini-NOVA isn't even comparable. I lived out there for 4 years before moving to Glen Allen and was perfectly happy out there.

Ahhhh, it's good to hear there haven't been that many issues. I just saw the dude get hit by a car / shot fired incident from the weekend, and that freaked me out a bit.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

ewiley posted:

Yessss can’t wait for “General Election Posting Station: MURDER HORNET FONDUE”

On a related note, lol:

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1323629747029594112?s=21

Holy poo poo, his feed looks like he was strung out as gently caress last night.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
This is purely anecdotal but I've seen 10+ of my left friends post on FB about how they just voted. I would have assumed they would have voted by mail. I'll laugh my rear end off if the "red mirage" never even shows up.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll be honest guys, I don't think I see a way that Bernie can still win this :ohdear:

do NOT bring this negative bullshit in to this thread

Apologize, QUICKLY

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Random Stranger posted:

I have cast my ballot in my location where my vote doesn't matter. I was asked to keep it down when I shouted, "From hell's heart I stab at thee!" when voting for Biden.

Nice! I briefly thought about how cool it’d be to shout something like that but decided against it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

B B posted:

Yiiiiiiiiikes. Glad we haven't had much of that here. I am currently in Arlington, VA, but am moving to Richmond, VA in a couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to getting out of Northern Virginia, but Richmond has obviously been much more of a hotbed for this sort of stuff than where I am at now.
Arlington is super blue though. :confused:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Antillie posted:

Holy poo poo, his feed looks like he was strung out as gently caress last night.

Either he was on something very strong or he pulled the best impression ever last night. Either way, this is a hell of a thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

metachronos posted:

This is purely anecdotal but I've seen 10+ of my left friends post on FB about how they just voted. I would have assumed they would have voted by mail. I'll laugh my rear end off if the "red mirage" never even shows up.
we're getting 'republican turnout is higher than expected!!' in florida but im pretty sure we'd be getting that if two guys and a cat showed up in florida. its the obvious horserace element.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Antillie posted:

Either that or he's trying out a new "ambien amnesia lol amirite" gimmick

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Arlington is super blue though. :confused:

Northern Virginia is still a shithole though, sorry to say

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Josh Lyman posted:

If I’m reading this correctly, Election Day voting is 50/50 in Broward County which is historically very Blue and Hillary won 66% in 2016. If we assume early voting will skew heavy Dem, then 50/50 for today’s votes would be good news. Do I have that right?

Plus, if Florida is anything like AZ (which I assume it is), the older crowd that would be heavily Republican, seem to vote right away early in the morning, while a lot of those who'd vote Democrat and didn't do early voting, will probably vote in the afternoon/early evening once off of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

metachronos posted:

It's only a portion of the country that allows for easy early voting and given the postal service fuckery, voting in person was the best way to make sure it counts. What I expect to see is urban ballots cast today to be close to an even split with the early ballots being a flood.