Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What's Upshur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Eating beef is bad. Therefore, all burgers are bad. :colbert:

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Alctel posted:

Counting a ballot box takes literally an hour or two, I did it this year as an election official. It's also witnessed by scrutineers from each party so it's impossible to throw and there's an unbroken chain of ownership on the ballots

Simple = good in this case

I don't think you'll ever get that layer of security with a machine

You can get absolutely bullet proof security from a machine if things are done correctly. The problem is that doing such things correctly requires people who know what they gently caress they are doing (and not many do) being given the budget and time needed to do so without any outside interference in the design process. Which of course will never happen.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Of course

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1323651181563027465?s=21

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Push El Burrito posted:

What's Upshur?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

Okay, I got a chance to try In-n-Out in Texas last year, and it was a drat good burger and fries, I'll grant that.

It doesn't make Shake Shack overrated though :colbert:

the shake shack defender has logged on

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Push El Burrito posted:

What's Upshur?

nothin much, what's up with shur?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

nothin much, what's up with shur?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

B B posted:

i am still finishing my weekend order of Bonchon, but this is gonna be hard to resist

e: richmond goons, please hit me with your best pho restaurants when you have time

I've long had a soft spot for Pho So 1 but the area around Broad and Horsepen is stuffed with excellent pho in general, since the inner suburbs were hollowed out by continued white flight and refilled by refugees and immigrants and we are all better for it. On the south side of the river it's Honduran, Salvadorian, and Mexican food. :frog:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Riven posted:

They're secret to prevent vote buying and/or intimidation.

Yes but like, in the UK they aren't, they're normally not traced, but they are traceable, so that in the event of an accusation of fraud you can match each ballot to a voter. It's part of the election security procedures. I know a lot of places do use actually untraceable ballots but doing it electronically seems pretty terrifyingly black box.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Push El Burrito posted:

Not only did I get a sticker, I got a stylus that told people I voted!

No way! I want a stylus!!

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Dr Interweb posted:

As a vegetarian, shake shack's mushroom burger is off the wall amazing. Gold standard. But their fries are garbage. Five guys does a very good grilled cheese and has the best fries in all of fast food.

They've recently opened a Shake Shack in my town, and I'm dying to try the mushroom burger. (I'm not a vegetarian but I love a good mushroom burger sometimes.)

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Antillie posted:

As a massive IT nerd I know this can absolutely be done. I just have zero confidence that a million+ local governments can pull it off without a strong central authority coming in and doing it in a sensible, non partisan, and not done by the lowest bidder way. And even then I have my doubts.

Now add "easily verifiable by the voter" to the mix.

Yes, you can do cryptographic black magic that lets you validate your vote without sharing it, but it only works if people understand the math. Right now that means PhD level math education. You could simplify the process, but no matter what, it would be complicated and difficult to keep it all working right.

Or they can just make a mark on a piece of paper, then look at the paper to see that the mark is where they expect it to be. And that means they can do things like mark their paper at home and then put that paper in the mail, instead of using a special machine on a special day that happens to be a workday. And then, if there's any question about the data, you can go count slips of paper.

We might have secure, fully electronic voting some day, but paper is the way to go for the foreseeable future.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We have a place called Burger-Fi I really like.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Antillie posted:

You can get absolutely bullet proof security from a machine if things are done correctly. The problem is that doing such things correctly requires people who know what they gently caress they are doing being given the budget and time needed to do so without any outside interference in the design process. Which of course will never happen.

As I said earlier, I have honestly never even looked at electronic voting from a security perspective. The idea that someone in a position of power would deliberately tamper with the results is unthinkable to nearly everyone where I live, I have never seen anyone at all bring it up, regardless of political position, from the far left to the far right. If that is happening, or you consider it so likely that you start to become paranoid about the possibility, at a basic cultural level your society has far bigger problems with democracy than choosing one particular voting method over another.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Hijinks Ensue posted:

They've recently opened a Shake Shack in my town, and I'm dying to try the mushroom burger. (I'm not a vegetarian but I love a good mushroom burger sometimes.)

Have not had the mushroom on its own but, even as a pretty die hard meat eater, I can say it is quite good as a compliment to their burger

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Phlegmish posted:

As I said earlier, I have honestly never even looked at electronic voting from a security perspective. The idea that someone in a position of power would deliberately tamper with the results is unthinkable to nearly everyone where I live, I have never seen anyone at all bring it up, regardless of political position, from the far left to the far right. If that is happening, or you consider it so likely that you start to become paranoid about the possibility, at a basic cultural level your society has far bigger problems with democracy than choosing one particular voting method over another.

Well,

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

The point, I think, is that by ensuring it is all done in the open and physically counting paper ballots that have been watched by a lot of people every step of the way, it keeps people honest. How would you know that the machine was right? I dunno, it seems too serious of a thing to just leave it all up to a machine that you just trust?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

BurgerFi is good, there's one in my town but weirdly they closed when covid hit and never opened back up.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Phlegmish posted:

I mean *Motions towards everything*

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

five guys burgers are fine but they're way too loving overpriced and even though i live within walking distance of one i never eat there for that reason

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phlegmish posted:

It's not so much a problem with the government doing the tampering, as much as it is one guy sneaking into the warehouse where the voting machines are stored and uploading new software through the unsecured USB ports.

Voting machines without a paper trail are a terrible idea because it is extremely hard/impossible to guarantee that:

1) nobody's vote is tampered with
2) the result totals are not tampered with
3) the code isn't tampered with
4) the code running on the machines is the same as 3
5) people can actually verify all of the above for themselves

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'm going to stan for Wendy's in this thread, a solid fast food burger of common people.

(also they don't have lovely crinkle cut school lunch fries, or whatever in and out doesn't do to their fries)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I maintain that Burger-Fi and Shake Shack are indistinguishable.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I'm going to stan for Wendy's in this thread, a solid fast food burger of common people.

If you’re going for a real cheap burger, Wendy’s is the way to go.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Agreed, Wendy's is by far the best of the "big three" chains

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paper voting works the same reason no voter ID works, which is that to commit large scale fraud with a paper system you need a lot of people involved and it's nearly impossible to keep that sort of thing secret. Centralizing the point of attack is just.. incredibly dangerous, like if the vote machines are breaking by accident it seems incredibly likely that they could be broken or subverted deliberately.

And like, elections are one of the most if not the actual most important things a democratic country can do, you can afford to spend money and time to do it right rather than looking for cost savings on it, i think.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Here we get a little scantron type sheet and we put it into the machine and we do our vote and then it gives us the sheet back and it has who we voted for so we can look and go "hey why does my sheet have 14 votes for Trump?" and then we feed it into another scanning machine which I assume just shreds it and then my vote doesn't count.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Eating beef is bad. Therefore, all burgers are bad. :colbert:

ACTUALLY ...
... I agree! Which is why I am happy so many places are offering veggie and alternative meat options. I've cooked a lot with Beyond meat this summer and can barely tell the difference. I've heard Impossible is even better.

So rejoice! You can enjoy a delicious high-calorie heart-attack inducing burger and still minimize your contribution to killing the planet!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The point, I think, is that by ensuring it is all done in the open and physically counting paper ballots that have been watched by a lot of people every step of the way, it keeps people honest. How would you know that the machine was right? I dunno, it seems too serious of a thing to just leave it all up to a machine that you just trust?

Again, and my memory of the specifics has gotten a bit hazy by now, but the system we use also has a secure physical component, so ballots can still be recounted if it is advisable for whatever reason.

I really think this is a case of people getting carried away with 'machine/government bad', but reading some of the stories about the American South, I can't blame people from there for being paranoid. It basically seems to be like a Third World country in that regard.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also the term fast casual is so pretenious

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Again, and my memory of the specifics has gotten a bit hazy by now, but the system we use also has a secure physical component, so ballots can still be recounted if it is advisable for whatever reason.

I really think this is a case of people getting carried away with 'machine/government bad', but reading some of the stories about the American South, I can't blame people from there for being paranoid. It basically seems to be like a Third World country in that regard.

The issue with having the machine at all is that you're still reliant on it to even suggest whether there has been fraud. Which is why I'm a strong proponent of the watched ballot box approach. You have multiple people at all times and from multiple political positions watching the ballots all the time, so that's both your verification system and also your guarantee against tampering to begin with. Even if the electronic option can be verified you presumably wouldn't have any way of knowing whether it should be unless the result seems intuitively wrong to the people in charge?

Like I said the whole concept of just shoveling votes into a machine and then taking the machine's word for the outcome is extremely strange to me. Having lots of people watching the process is the whole point.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

ACTUALLY ...
... I agree! Which is why I am happy so many places are offering veggie and alternative meat options. I've cooked a lot with Beyond meat this summer and can barely tell the difference. I've heard Impossible is even better.

So rejoice! You can enjoy a delicious high-calorie heart-attack inducing burger and still minimize your contribution to killing the planet!

You've got it backwards. Impossible is pretty much indistinguishable from a regular basic beef patty. I find Beyond meat to have a distinct taste/texture that sets it apart, and makes it at least interesting. Neither of them really replaces a well made ground chuck patty, but beyond meat is perfectly satisfying enough that I don't miss it when home-cooked.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Crisp and Juicy hot sauce from NOVA doused on everything including burgers is the best

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Johnny Joestar posted:

five guys burgers are fine but they're way too loving overpriced and even though i live within walking distance of one i never eat there for that reason

Five guys is less overpriced than Shake Shack is. If I'm gonna spend $15 on a burger, I'd rather spend $20 and just eat a good one at a restaurant.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also the term fast casual is so pretenious

I always hear it as "fash casual" and then I start laughing to myself picturing Hugo Boss loungewear.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Five Guys sparked my habit of dousing Worcestershire sauce on loving everything.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Ah yes, the true reward for voting: stickers!
You voted, so have your psychological validation!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkH2r-sNjQs

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

The issue with having the machine at all is that you're still reliant on it to even suggest whether there has been fraud. Which is why I'm a strong proponent of the watched ballot box approach. You have multiple people at all times and from multiple political positions watching the ballots all the time, so that's both your verification system and also your guarantee against tampering to begin with. Even if the electronic option can be verified you presumably wouldn't have any way of knowing whether it should be unless the result seems intuitively wrong to the people in charge?

Like I said the whole concept of just shoveling votes into a machine and then taking the machine's word for the outcome is extremely strange to me. Having lots of people watching the process is the whole point.

Yeah that's the main thing - the only way I can see it working is if you keep a paper trail of every vote, and then hand recount a small number of polling places randomly to ensure that the machine count is correct (with aberrations triggering a full hand recount).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Is Malt vinegar as a fries condiment a thing only massachusetts and canada does?