Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The theory that seemed most credible to me (for all that's worth, which isn't much) is that the pilot intentionally decompressed the plane so he'd have no opposition. I forget what he was thought to have done to the other pilot.
It would have been trivial for the captain to contrive an excuse to get the first officer out of the cockpit (and harder, but still not really tough for the reverse), if they didn't just wait for the other one to go use the restroom or something. As that hypoxia video shows, once the person in the cockpit depressurized the cabin and their emergency oxygen ran out (which is only supposed to last long enough for the pilots to descend to where they can breathe normally), no one was going to be alive long enough to break down the cockpit door.

Just look at Germanwings Flight 9525. The captain there unsuccessfully tried to break down the door for far longer than anyone on MH370 would have had before succumbing to oxygen deprivation.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Way late reply but my uncle used to be mountain rescue for Nevis until a couple of years ago. Instead of going on the mountain now he helps coordinate from the rescue centre and took us to check the place out when we visited. Some of the stories he told were crazy despite like you say, it not actually being particularly high. The one that stuck with me the most is when someone fell into one of the rivers that was raging from rainfall. The poor fucker stumbled in up the hill and by the time his corpse got to the bottom it had been beaten off so many rocks it had been stripped of clothing and a large portion of the skin on it. There was a couple from Canada who got wiped out in an avalanche too who are now buried up near Nevis... It's a real bummer and a harsh reminder that even what is a supposedly 'easy' hill can be somewhat murderous. The trail off the top in low visibility has claimed people too as it runs quite close to a ridge with a drop to the right.

The hardest thing for people who don't follow mountaineering to understand is that technical difficulty and deadliness are nowhere near as closely linked as they expect. It's poo poo like a random icefall or a freak change of weather where it doesn't matter how technically skilled you are, the mountain has decided it doesn't want you alive anymore and if you survive it's going to be a whole lot more luck than skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So you need good skills to survive and bad luck to die.

E: or, need skills and good luck to live, but if you're lacking skills or luck you're dead.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It's funny when idiot rich people die but sad when they also get the sherpa's killed

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Nooner posted:

It's funny when idiot rich people die but sad when they also get the sherpa's killed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

So many of the deaths Everest has become infamous for could have been avoided by just listening to the Sherpa. And I mean literally, so so many of them feature survivors returning with foreverially messed up bodies saying of their co-climbers "Yeah Johnny Five Aces thought he was the best climber in the world and, being high on adrenaline, reached the summit and then died on the way back down in inclement weather."

Just listen to your loving Sherpa, you're paying them to be your guide. You gave money to a firm that employs them to ferry you and all your crap safely with the implication being that they know what they're doing moreso than you!

I mean, the videos are posted here about what oxygen deprivation does to your decision-making skills.

The best decision is to decide at sea level that climbing Everest would be a dumb thing to do.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, the videos are posted here about what oxygen deprivation does to your decision-making skills.

The best decision is to decide at sea level that climbing Everest would be a dumb thing to do.

thinking about buying up a foreclosed restaurant on the cheap and turning it into an Everest Simulator. i'll put a stairstepper into the walk-in freezer, rig up some fans, slap them into a VR helmet and pump in carbon dioxide until they get that "exhausted and on the verge of death but just don't give a poo poo" feeling that can normally only be achieved at high altitude

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

thinking about buying up a foreclosed restaurant on the cheap and turning it into an Everest Simulator. i'll put a stairstepper into the walk-in freezer, rig up some fans, slap them into a VR helmet and pump in carbon dioxide until they get that "exhausted and on the verge of death but just don't give a poo poo" feeling that can normally only be achieved at high altitude

Give 'em a photoshop of them on the summit at the end

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

Carbon dioxide wouldn't be the right simulation for that. What I understand is that your body decides when to take a breath based on CO2 saturation, not oxygen. That's why O2 starvation can be so insidious, your brain stops working well but otherwise you don't really notice. Too much CO2 is apparently agony.

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 3, 2020

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Since people are talking about this, here's not annoying youtuber Smarter Every Day going into a vacuum chamber to show you what serious oxygen deprivation looks like .

Phy posted:

Carbon dioxide wouldn't be the right simulation for that. What I understand is that your body decides when to take a breath based on CO2 saturation, not oxygen. That's why O2 starvation can be so insidious, your brain stops working well but otherwise you don't really notice. Too much CO2 is apparently agony.

It's also why some poor unfortunates end up ending their lives every year via carbon monoxide poisoning. During a burn pile assignment (wherein we were burning piles of limbs/logs), I had a coworker get symptoms of classic carbon monoxide poisoning. We happened to have an EMR bag, so I put him on a nasal canula (about 30% oxygen) and just let him nap in the back of the truck for a while until he woke up with a pounding headache.

That's also why every now and then you see the kind of macabre suggestion of replacing lethal injection/gas chambers with helium filled execution chambers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Often when I'm driving though the mountains I'll look up at an avalanche gulley and think "that'd be fun to ski down". These people (also they were not the first) looked at loving Lhotse and thought the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPXSFVruIHI

Favorite moment is probably within the first minute when Mountaineering Matthew Fox points out that these are not risks anyone should ever take. One of the skiers explaining how he only got into this after he lost his wife and kids in a plane crash felt oddly appropriate as well, pain makes you do crazy poo poo.

A White Guy posted:

That's also why every now and then you see the kind of macabre suggestion of replacing lethal injection/gas chambers with helium filled execution chambers.

Yeah, state sanctioned executions are loving barbaric, but if they're going to happen hypobaric asphyxiation is probably the most humane way to do it. None of this poison injection nonsense.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 3, 2020

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Azathoth posted:

I like this plan, but use extra nitrogen instead.

To maximize authenticity the nitrogen/oxygen mix should be unpredictable and occasionally kill someone, but you might have difficulty getting insurance. At least no Sherpa death would be involved.

Obligatory “I’m totally not serious we shouldn’t kill rich people” for the 😭 crowd.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Loucks posted:

To maximize authenticity the nitrogen/oxygen mix should be unpredictable and occasionally kill someone, but you might have difficulty getting insurance. At least no Sherpa death would be involved.

Obligatory “I’m totally not serious we shouldn’t kill rich people” for the 😭 crowd.

crap, yeah nitrogen not co2. good catch, updating the pitch deck now

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Loucks posted:

also, i would like to state, for the record, this is not an attempt to get rich people to pay me to kill them. for serious. if i wanted to kill rich people, i'd start up a hunting reserve and go all most dangerous game

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Azathoth posted:

also, i would like to state, for the record, this is not an attempt to get rich people to pay me to kill them. for serious. if i wanted to kill rich people, i'd start up a hunting reserve and go all most dangerous game

I have a bbq restaurant concept we should partner on.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Sorry if this was discussed already

Was there ever any traction on the "just close Everest, people are constantly dying there" thing? I know it's a huge source of income for a lot of people in that area but it's kind of gross to profit off people killing themselves for no reason

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AHH F/UGH posted:

Was there ever any traction on the "just close Everest, people are constantly dying there" thing? I know it's a huge source of income for a lot of people in that area but it's kind of gross to profit off people killing themselves for no reason

Everest cycles money from the rich to the less rich. It's a net good to the world.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

No.

In addition to the locals needing the income, the state also really wants the income from the permits; and, China has a side of the mountain, they'd simply capture most of the tourist trade lost by Nepal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Not really, Nepal is pretty dependent on that income, both the local workers and the government on climbing permit revenue. Same reason they don't impose some sort of qualification requirement for permits.

Theoretically they could capture a large chunk of the same revenue and also thinning the crowd by issuing summit permits for specific days, but I don't know how they'd ever enforce it.

e; f, b.

Although isn't the China route quite a bit more difficult?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 3, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Although isn't the China route quite a bit more difficult?

It’s a lot more technical than the south route, but there are other factors as well. IIRC there aren’t nearly as many villages on the Chinese side, so acclimatization gets much more difficult. Also it’s a bit more restrictive, so as a tourist you can’t just wander the area and gently caress around doing tourist poo poo the way you can in Nepal.

On the other hand, there’s paved road all the way to base camp and the government will literally drive you there.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

AHH F/UGH posted:

We're not just talking local livelihoods, although of course it would be specifically devastating to businesses around Everest. The industry itself is 3-4% of the entire GDP of Nepal. Not to oversimplify, but if that were the US GDP, it'd be closing in on a trillion dollar industry. There is some leeway for hiatuses and temporary closures for cleanup/environmental recovery, but not much chance of a full closure. And if there were, it wouldn't be because people die doing it. Pound for pound, it's pretty dangerous, but far less people die climbing Everest than even somewhere like Mont Blanc in France due to the disparity in climbing numbers. So it's not exactly a killing fields out there. And flat numbers aside, there are far more dangerous peaks relative to Everest in the Himalayas.

All in all, it's a pretty amazing boondoggle for Nepal that lures rich people. Only shame is that it basically desecrates the mountain with corpses and poopsicles, but in exchange for hundreds of millions of dollars - which is a big deal for an impoverished country like Nepal - it's a pretty sweet gig in all honesty.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Comrade Koba posted:

It’s a lot more technical than the south route, but there are other factors as well. IIRC there aren’t nearly as many villages on the Chinese side, so acclimatization gets much more difficult. Also it’s a bit more restrictive, so as a tourist you can’t just wander the area and gently caress around doing tourist poo poo the way you can in Nepal.

On the other hand, there’s paved road all the way to base camp and the government will literally drive you there.

Didn't some random Polish or Russian guy solo the mountain from the Chinese side without permission a couple years back or something?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pyrotoad posted:

Didn't some random Polish or Russian guy solo the mountain from the Chinese side without permission a couple years back or something?

If you mean the insane polish guy who showed up without a permit and tried to summit with next to no gear other than a backpack full of vodka, that was on the south (Nepalese) side.

EDIT: Apparently there was also a polish guy in 2017 who summited from the north side but descended on the south side. Turns out he only had a permit for the Chinese side and now he’s banned from climbing in Nepal for a decade.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 4, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PittTheElder posted:

Theoretically they could capture a large chunk of the same revenue and also thinning the crowd by issuing summit permits for specific days

There aren’t that many days of acceptable weather on the mountain.

This would effectively be a lottery where the people who got permits for bad weather days would be poo poo out of luck.

If you’re going to do a lottery, do it straight, without assigning specific days, to lessen the temptation to risk bad weather days or just cheat.

Comrade Koba posted:

If you mean the insane polish guy who showed up without a permit and tried to summit with next to no gear other than a backpack full of vodka, that was on the south (Nepalese) side.

EDIT: Apparently there was also a polish guy in 2017 who summited from the north side but descended on the south side. Turns out he only had a permit for the Chinese side and now he’s banned from climbing in Nepal for a decade.

Worth it. Who among us hasn’t gone decades without setting foot in Nepal?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'd be happy to add a frozen CEO corpse and random poopsicles to my backyard for a a few $k.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Platystemon posted:

This would effectively be a lottery where the people who got permits for bad weather days would be poo poo out of luck.

If you’re going to do a lottery, do it straight, without assigning specific days, to lessen the temptation to risk bad weather days or just cheat.

Why though? If Nepal can get rich dudes to pay them to NOT climb Everest, that seems ideal. Just do a zero refund policy and force the rich assholes to gamble.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
There's no prestige or accomplishment to climbing Everest anymore if someone came up to me and told me they climbed Everest I would just think cool you're a rich rear end in a top hat

I always enjoy the thread each year though

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Counterpoint: Every C-suite level employee should have to summit Everest.

Get to training, David.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Mash posted:

Why though? If Nepal can get rich dudes to pay them to NOT climb Everest, that seems ideal. Just do a zero refund policy and force the rich assholes to gamble.

"If"

rich assholes pay the permit because there's a reasonable chance they'll get to the summit and back if they do what they're told by their guides

instituting a system that takes success rates from what they are now down to 80-90% will never even get called to go to base camp, let alone go up, let alone summit is an absolutely fantastic way to guarantee that said rich assholes go take a submersible into the mariana trench or hunt poor people for sport or have yacht battles or whatever else rich people do for fun

seriously, it can't be overstated just how much it is in Nepal's best interest to get as many entitled dipshits up and down the mountain as possible. anything that means even a potential reduction in permits is an immediate nonstarter

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Letting people pay extra to be Everest imposter might increase revenue.

The most even more dangerous game.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

seriously, it can't be overstated just how much it is in Nepal's best interest to get as many entitled dipshits up and down the mountain as possible. anything that means even a potential reduction in permits is an immediate nonstarter

Build the escalator, Nepal

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

13Pandora13 posted:

So there was an air disaster in Greece, in 2005, that was the result in a pressurization issue that rendered the entire crew and all passengers incapacitated due to hypoxia. Slow leak/improper cabin pressurzation, no explosive decompression that would have been noticed, so by the time the masks deployed everyone was either out or not coherent enough to act rationally (consequently, the pilots did not descend to a safe altitude). Shortly before the plane crashed due to fuel exhaustion, Grecian air force pilots reported seeing an unknown person enter the cockpit and point down. It was one of the flight attendants, who managed to linger on a little longer than everyone else from being a swimmer, who was attempting to try to get to lower altitude but just...didn't make it in time. The strength of the flight attendant was seriously astounding, both physically and mentally getting to that point of action with that severe of oxygen deprivation is unheard of. Poor guy had to watch the whole thing. Everyone was alive (but unconscious for such a duration that even if they'd survived they'd have been brain dead) at the time of impact; hypoxia is absolutely brutal. :smith:

One of the prevailing theories about MH370 is that the craft met the same end, either from an intentional act or accidental (as was the case with the Helios flight).

This is getting a bit off topic but there's a very detailed video on this subject by a professional pilot, he goes through the disaster step by step. It's really one of the saddest ones because you can just see how every little decision leads to this needless disaster

https://youtu.be/pebpaM-Zua0

Griz
May 21, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, state sanctioned executions are loving barbaric, but if they're going to happen hypobaric asphyxiation is probably the most humane way to do it. None of this poison injection nonsense.

that first clip is from some BBC documentary on the death penalty and is immediately followed by someone talking about how inert gas asphyxiation was decided against specifically because it's the most humane way to do it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Personally I'd like to be thrown out of an airplane, stick my head in front of an artillery cannon or sit on a 44 gallon drum of anfo. Something quick and painless but still cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Outrail posted:

Personally I'd like to be thrown out of an airplane, stick my head in front of an artillery cannon or sit on a 44 gallon drum of anfo. Something quick and painless but still cool.

Oh boy, do I have a solution for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_from_a_gun

quote:

The prisoner is generally tied to a gun with the upper part of the small of his back resting against the muzzle. When the gun is fired, his head is seen to go straight up into the air some forty or fifty feet; the arms fly off right and left, high up in the air, and fall at, perhaps, a hundred yards distance; the legs drop to the ground beneath the muzzle of the gun; and the body is literally blown away altogether, not a vestige being seen.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Build the Everescalator, Nepal

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

PostNouveau posted:

Build the escalator, Nepal

gently caress that, make them walk up.

What they should build is a zipline down.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Always leave with a bang...

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Billy the Mountain posted:

Always leave with a bang...

did hunter s thompson know about this

i feel like this is actually what he was thinking

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

my plan is just to never die.
but you guys go right ahead with your body vaporisation if that's what floats your boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Worth it. Who among us hasn’t gone decades without setting foot in Nepal?

Because then the people buying the slots have to be lucky in a whole new way. It becomes the ultimate rich person gamble.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or a good idea, just that a certain type of person already driven to try to summit Everest would also probably love the gambling aspect of whether their day is good weatherwise.