Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what prestige television means to each individual but I do know that I can't stand any TV show or movie that acts like it's got something to say, like it's got some relevant themes to bring forward or some reason why you should think about the story, and then utterly shits the bed in its execution to such an extent that they have to retool the whole loving program every season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

And here's the good old graph to show how impossible that would be.

"Ratings" aren't really a thing with streaming shows, but I do wonder how the current shows' viewership numbers stack up. Unfortunately, those numbers aren't available, from pretty much any streaming service.

e: :lol: somebody re-made the graph with a bunch of math nerd poo poo, but still managed to spell "Nielsen" wrong.

I like how this graph holds out the possibility that Voyager was proposed after it began airing.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
how dare you insult Doctor Who, it can't possibly be Prestige TV because it's such a bad show

wait what?

Moffat is a terrible showrunner.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:rolleyes:

The people who complain about NuWho are always the same ones who toss the “PRESTIGE TV” phrase around like it’s supposed to be some damning criticism of anything they don’t personally like.

Even the idea of Doctor Who, a show about an immortal shape-shifting alien who regularly fights salt shakers, robots, and farting aliens, somehow trying to be a show in the vein of Mad Men or The Sopranos is laughable. C’mon son, try harder.

Doesn't "prestige TV" mean everything being very serialized so every episode follows immediately from the last?

Whereas new Doctor Who is much more episodic than the original show, which is why a lot of episodes have a real rushed feeling. They try to fit in all the exposition and action into 1 episode that would've been spread across like 3. It's gone the opposite direction from all the shows that have gone for long-term narratives over the old one-off episodes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

And here's the good old graph to show how impossible that would be.

"Ratings" aren't really a thing with streaming shows, but I do wonder how the current shows' viewership numbers stack up. Unfortunately, those numbers aren't available, from pretty much any streaming service.

e: :lol: somebody re-made the graph with a bunch of math nerd poo poo, but still managed to spell "Nielsen" wrong.

Longtail.jaypeg

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

thotsky posted:

how dare you insult Doctor Who, it can't possibly be Prestige TV because it's such a bad show

wait what?

Moffat is a terrible showrunner.

A critcism can be off even if you think the thing is bad. Thinking Nu Who was trying to be like Breaking Bad is insane.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I’m not a Who fan but for all the criticsms I’ve heard, it would seem Who does know what it is

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Can I lightly spam? I made a Lower Decks design and stuck it up on Redbubble.

I really like this preview pic because it looks like he believes it too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Powered Descent posted:

Those are some terrible curves of best fit

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

wolf was inside 359 an job

definitely a good sticker though, may need one for work

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

I maintain Capaldi’s last season struck the right balance of weirdo science fiction and silly whimsy that good Doctor Who is famous for.

The times Who took itself too seriously were easily its worst moments.

I think the problem with it, at least as I saw it, was that Doctor Who (as a show) shouldn't be "taking itself" at all. It's best when it's goofy and weird and totally unselfconscious about it, but that's something the new show can never do, it's just always up its own butt about not only seriously celebrating the Doctor, but with everything besides him, practically winking through the fourth wall about itself. In that sense it's both taking itself too seriously and not enough. The show should be about the adventures and not about the Doctor as a character

SlothfulCobra posted:

Doesn't "prestige TV" mean everything being very serialized so every episode follows immediately from the last?

Whereas new Doctor Who is much more episodic than the original show, which is why a lot of episodes have a real rushed feeling. They try to fit in all the exposition and action into 1 episode that would've been spread across like 3. It's gone the opposite direction from all the shows that have gone for long-term narratives over the old one-off episodes.

This was a huge strength of the old show, even though it was abused at times. 3-5 half-hour episodes was probably the sweet spot for each serial, and that format made it unique in my experience.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lorca was the best captain and the show did him dirty

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Prestige TV is when the show is about at least two magicians.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mythicknight posted:

wolf was inside 359 an job

definitely a good sticker though, may need one for work

Thanks! Please do, I could use the money!

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

HD DAD posted:

I maintain Capaldi’s last season struck the right balance of weirdo science fiction and silly whimsy that good Doctor Who is famous for.

The times Who took itself too seriously were easily its worst moments.

Capaldi's entire run is generally better than everyone else's run, save Eccleston's.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Lol "The Collaborator" was really the worst episode to watch right before election day

"O'brien Must Suffer Vol. 2" where he's tortured and nearly hopeless before a Cardassian court felt positively chipper by comparison.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

What episode is this from?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

galenanorth posted:

Probably the season 2 opening 3 parter that had the guy from Wings working for Frank Langella

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HD DAD posted:

Capaldi really can bring that,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Another RLM TNG video is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAlnLnxeIOI

Episodes:
- Timescape (Mike)
- All Good Things (Rich)
- Conundrum (Mike)
- Yesterday's Enterprise (Rich)
- Future Imperfect (Mike)

Mike apparently hates Parallels :wtc:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How can you hate Parallels

Future Imperfect is an OK episode but the ending is just kind of lame

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
If I got the gist of it, Mike doesn't like Parallels because it presented the Enterprise crew as being the same people in every single universe, just in different circumstances. No one was radically different (outside of Hyperborgriker), which made it feel to him like he wasn't watching a group of unique personalities.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

For the life of me I don't know why they made the little kid be a weird 50s alien costume alien at the end. Why not just have him look human, or throw on a prosthetic or weird colour like you do for most alien species?!??

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Mike is a "stakes" guy, and I can see how multiverse stuff diminishes that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mike is a land of weird contrasts. He hates old people and animal cruelty in equal measure.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

piratepilates posted:

For the life of me I don't know why they made the little kid be a weird 50s alien costume alien at the end. Why not just have him look human, or throw on a prosthetic or weird colour like you do for most alien species?!??
Yeah that alien costume was really off and I think that just makes all of it worse

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"TNG doesn't make aliens look alien enough!"

"Look at that lame weird alien!"

I felt that it made the end more touching. Riker formed a bond with the kid and the message they put out there is that it really doesn't matter that he looked nothing like Riker in the end, the bond was still there.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What’s the “Seven of Nine bullshit” they’re referring to while talking about Tasha Yar in the new RLM video?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Unmature posted:

What’s the “Seven of Nine bullshit” they’re referring to while talking about Tasha Yar in the new RLM video?

Seven was put on the show specifically to draw in new viewers with T&A. IIRC it was a network-mandated change.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

bull3964 posted:

"TNG doesn't make aliens look alien enough!"

"Look at that lame weird alien!"

IMO, it's not that he looks alien, it's that he looks like he belongs on a blacklight poster holding a joint saying "take me to your dealer."

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

IMO, it's not that he looks alien, it's that he looks like he belongs on a blacklight poster holding a joint saying "take me to your dealer."

The strobe lights in the eyes really sell the “bought at Spencer’s” look

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

galenanorth posted:

no!!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Seven was put on the show specifically to draw in new viewers with T&A. IIRC it was a network-mandated change.

Correct. Voyager had stumbled badly in the ratings and the UPN execs said two things: Use the Borg (because First Contact had become, at the time, the highest-grossing Trek movie) and amp up the sex appeal, hence Seven's awful catsuits.

Jennifer Lien had also developed a substance abuse issue at that time, so it was relatively easy for her to be dismissed from her contract.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Then it turned out Jeri Ryan is really good and boy did the execs have egg on their face!!

So they tried again with Jolene Blalock and whoops, she was also good. :eyepop:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Then it turned out Jeri Ryan is really good and boy did the execs have egg on their face!!

Huh. I have a very different opinion of those characters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grand Fromage posted:

The issues with Enterprise are legion, but making lifelong Star Trek fan Jolene Blalock be a sexpot character for more than two years is by far one of its worst sins.

Like, as a kid growing up in Chicago, I loved to play Star Trek with my friends; we used my sperm donor's office chair as the captain's chair and cardboard boxes we'd markered up for consoles. A sheet was used as the viewscreen. By all her accounts, that's basically the same thing Blalock did as a young'un, roleplaying as Spock.

Imagine loving Star Trek your entire life and then getting told you'd been given a role on a show ... and then finding out they want you for T&A.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Timby posted:

Correct. Voyager had stumbled badly in the ratings and the UPN execs said two things: Use the Borg (because First Contact had become, at the time, the highest-grossing Trek movie) and amp up the sex appeal, hence Seven's awful catsuits.

Jennifer Lien had also developed a substance abuse issue at that time, so it was relatively easy for her to be dismissed from her contract.
Did Jennifer Lien's drug problems start during VOY or after? I've heard rumors that she acted "weird" at conventions while she was on the show, but as I said these are just rumors years after the fact. The 50th anniversary book barely talks about her, but then again it also glosses over how Garrett Wang got to stay on the show thanks to People magazine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Marshal Radisic posted:

Did Jennifer Lien's drug problems start during VOY or after? I've heard rumors that she acted "weird" at conventions while she was on the show, but as I said these are just rumors years after the fact. The 50th anniversary book barely talks about her, but then again it also glosses over how Garrett Wang got to stay on the show thanks to People magazine.

As I understand it--and this is not me trying to air dirty laundry or anything like that, I'm a recovering alcoholic myself--Lien developed issues with alcohol and painkillers sometime during the second season because of weight loss pressure from execs, including Berman.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A.o.D. posted:

Huh. I have a very different opinion of those characters.

I accept the validity of people having their own opinions. I am pure sunshine.

I think T'Pol was the best regular on Enterprise by a long shot (Shran would be my #2) and on Voyager, Seven and The Doctor were the strong ones. Good characters, interesting, well played by good actors. The writing didn't always treat them well but that's not their fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Timby posted:

As I understand it--and this is not me trying to air dirty laundry or anything like that, I'm a recovering alcoholic myself--Lien developed issues with alcohol and painkillers sometime during the second season because of weight loss pressure from execs, including Berman.
Jesus. According to interviews she did before VOY she had a rough time growing up in Chicago, and quite a few people she knew had drug problems. On top of all that, she was 16 when she started acting regularly, and was 20-21 when she landed the role of Kes. Once you tack on pressure from the executives, the generally crappy backstage environment on VOY, then getting fired out of the blue, and things are starting to come into focus.

What a goddamn tragedy.