Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lol that voting rights for parolees won but not for teenagers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
/\/\/\ efb

CopperHound posted:

I though prop 18 would be the least controversial of the bunch. Once again this stupid state continues to surprise me.

E: I don't particularly care strongly for it, I just would have guessed it would be a solid "Sure, I guess I don't see anything wrong with that."

There is a bit of irony in that voters overwhelmingly decided to give the vote back to parolees but letting 17 year olds vote is clearly a bridge too far. The judgment of a murderer takes precedent over a 17 year old. I voted yes for both props.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Currently 52.1 Y on 19 50.4 N on 15

wtf lol

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Why not let people in prison vote as well?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean California does have a huge prison industrial complex I suppose. But it also has a lot of teenagers (who aren't going to vote anyway)!

adoration for none posted:

There is a bit of irony in that voters overwhelmingly decided to give the vote back to parolees but letting 17 year olds vote is clearly a bridge too far. The judgment of a murderer takes precedent over a 17 year old. I voted yes for both props.

I don't think convicted murderers get out on parole dude

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sydin posted:

Nothing set in stone yet obviously but if these results held it would be a decidedly mixed bag of results.
updated:

Major EPIC win tonight for all californians today :toot::woop:. Uber/lyft/gig VC leaders preserving ability for workers to control their own destiny, corporate land owners preserving their god-ordained 1960s tax rate, bail bonds industry preserving cash bail for another decade, landlords defeating evil rent controls trying to take away their money, real estate agents a nice earned commision that they worked hard for, devita dialysis corporate preserving their shareholder profit dividend payouts. Very good result all around, we did it :toot:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 4, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

threeagainstfour posted:

Can the 7/8th majority in the legislature bit of Prop 22 be challenged in court? That bit seems pretty insane, but I'm not knowledgeable at all on the legal standing of it.

It doesn't matter that much because the legislature generally doesn't have the authority to mess with props anyways. That 7/8ths thing is just in case Uber, et al somehow wrote something that fucks them over into the law and they need to bribe ask the legislature to pass a fix.

In fact ballot measures usually have language that says you can't touch them ever without passing another proposition, so Prop 22 is actually more permissive than props usually are on this front.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Can we create a prop to require a higher threshold for props to pass?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It doesn't matter that much because the legislature generally doesn't have the authority to mess with props anyways. That 7/8ths thing is just in case Uber, et al somehow wrote something that fucks them over into the law and they need to bribe ask the legislature to pass a fix.

In fact ballot measures usually have language that says you can't touch them ever without passing another proposition, so Prop 22 is actually more permissive than props usually are on this front.
I thought propositions, when passed, became essentially part of the state constitution and can only be altered or removed by passing another proposition (or having the courts strike it down as bad law, like what they did with gay marriage).

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

FMguru posted:

I thought propositions, when passed, became essentially part of the state constitution and can only be altered or removed by passing another proposition (or having the courts strike it down as bad law, like what they did with gay marriage).

Basically. I think it's still normal to put a clause in that tells legislators to keep their hands off, as kind of a just in case thing, but I don't read the full text of every one.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This state is just gonna keep entrenching it's own bullshit over and over until there's nobody who can actually afford to live here besides property owners starving to death going insane inside their giant empty homes they can't find renters willing to pay $15,000 a month in rent for.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol that voting rights for parolees won but not for teenagers

I have 3 teenagers in my house. gently caress letting any of them vote.

Also, it shows Placer as 100% reporting but Ballot Trax shows my ballot hasn’t been counted 🤔

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think convicted murderers get out on parole dude

Sorry, I could have easily checked that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lol wrong thread

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this one down to the wire

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bawfuls posted:

this one down to the wire

:pray: Issa BEGONE

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Apparently that's early voting so in person voting will probably push Issa over

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Glass of Milk posted:

Apparently that's early voting so in person voting will probably push Issa over

drat

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

threeagainstfour posted:

Can the 7/8th majority in the legislature bit of Prop 22 be challenged in court? That bit seems pretty insane, but I'm not knowledgeable at all on the legal standing of it.
No, I doubt it. I posted here explaining that the California Constitution explicitly permits this (and also that 22 doesn't become part of the CA Constitution; its just another statute). Normally it can't be amended by statute, but props can choose to setup their own rules for amending by statute. The 7/8ths vote, as previously stated, is the threshold to amend it to further the statute (i.e. expand/amending the statute in a way that expands prop 22), while amendments opposing/reducing prop 22 statute requires a new ballot proposition to amend it. This makes the 7/8th provision extra silly because that's the threshold to further the statute, meaning basically that it will effectively never be amended except by ballot proposition.

I would say, though I'm certainly not an expert, that the 7/8ths amendment clause exists almost only to say that the legislature can amend it (and maybe also as a final amendment button that almost never gets used).

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 4, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Praying and lighting some incense (weed) for Prop 15 tonight.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Next prop: Weed smoking is mandatory in high schools and you need a 100% of the california vote to overturn it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Orange County has Biden winning over Trump by 21% 11% now. (just updated)
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-us-election-results/california

I think we can officially declare that GOP stronghold dead.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 4, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i wonder how many times uber et al will throw hundreds of millions of bucks at followup props striking down 22

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My area kept Katie Porter (US Rep that got the CDC to promise free covid tests) and kicked out a republican incumbent for state senator so I'm happy I'm doing my part.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

OC gonna OC with CA-48. This one's a nailbiter - Rouda losing by 1500 votes right no

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Xaris posted:

big win for bail bond industry tonight :toot:

Nah, prop 25 was poo poo

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Prop 25 may not be the answer, but since race plays such an outsized role in determining access to capital at least you could be racist through bias sampling and not through crushing levels of debt.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
25 seems like one where you really want to do it via legislation not a proposition if possible. Since cash bail is so clearly bad but implementation of the replacement really matters.

^ also on that theme, I hope 14 didn’t squeak through. The organization which runs it seems way too unaccountable (and sort of corrupt?) to be handed that much money, esp when CA isn’t there only funder of stem cell research anymore.

Sort of surprised 16 did that badly. But I guess it’s the difference between support for AA generally vs specifically taking into account race.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

tildes posted:

25 seems like one where you really want to do it via legislation not a proposition if possible.
The good news is since it's a referendum that means that the legislatures hands aren't tied (per II 10(c)). Referendums merely remove the statute in question, but the legislature can replace it with something else (unlike an initiative statute). It leaves open the question as to what signals legislators are taking from people voting NO on 25, and how that plays into their political calculus.

So it can be fixed to something maybe more people will find acceptable.... but will they? :parrot:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Craptacular! posted:

Prop 25 may not be the answer, but since race plays such an outsized role in determining access to capital at least you could be racist through bias sampling and not through crushing levels of debt.

Note that “not being racist” isn’t an option on offer.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Centrist Committee posted:

Where do you think you are

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
prop 15 and prop 22 are really the big ones i cared about. i always knew 22 was gonna pass given the scumfuck way uber and lyft were able to go about their campaigning (the "Progressive Voter Guide" they sent out was a brilliant idea), but 15 not passing really sucks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

tildes posted:

25 seems like one where you really want to do it via legislation not a proposition if possible. Since cash bail is so clearly bad but implementation of the replacement really matters.

i thought they did. wasn't the prop just the text of a bill that had been passed by the legislature and signed by the governor? that's why it seemed weird and compromised. then lobbyists did something I still don't understand to put it on the ballot instead.

we do not live in a democracy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nah we life in an idiotocracy where the stupider people are the more voting power they have. Anyone who tells me they voted yes on 22 is going to be told good job you legalized slavery

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

i thought they did. wasn't the prop just the text of a bill that had been passed by the legislature and signed by the governor? that's why it seemed weird and compromised. then lobbyists did something I still don't understand to put it on the ballot instead.

we do not live in a democracy.

If you buy enough signatures you can get any passed legislation put up as a referendum. Turns out the Bail Bonds industry has a lot of money!

Edit: for anyone unaware, the rough timeline on something like this is 1.) law gets passed, 2.) industry unhappy with the law circulates referendum petition, 3.) once they have enough signatures they file the petition and the law gets put on hold until the people vote.

It wasn't a proposition, it was a referendum on a law. If Prop 25 had passed we would have upheld the plain ol' law that our duly-elected legislature had passed repealing cash bail. And the legislature could have amended that law at any time in the future via a simple majority + governor's signature. But now the law is dead and the status quo is maintained, and we'll see if the political will exists for the legislature to try again.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 4, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Edit: for anyone unaware, the rough timeline on something like this is 1.) law gets passed, 2.) industry unhappy with the law circulates referendum petition, 3.) once they have enough signatures they file the petition and the law gets put on hold until the people vote.

thanks, i hate it

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

tildes posted:

^ also on that theme, I hope 14 didn’t squeak through. The organization which runs it seems way too unaccountable (and sort of corrupt?) to be handed that much money, esp when CA isn’t there only funder of stem cell research anymore.

Sort of surprised 16 did that badly. But I guess it’s the difference between support for AA generally vs specifically taking into account race.

SF eliminated cash bail and Gascon ran on eliminating it in LA, all of CA will likely follow suit quickly, and then it's very likely in two years statewide with another Prop vote and it won't be bullshit Prop 25.

Centrist Committee posted:

lol, of course not!

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
To all my SF goons: gently caress SCOTT WEINER
Anyways, so sad about 15 and 22 :(

mA fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 4, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Even this thread was evenly split over 25 because it was just that poorly written. It would have been nice to kill the bail industry right now, but 25 wasn't going to properly address the underlying problems, and just entrench them in a different manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have 3 teenagers in my house. gently caress letting any of them vote.

Also, it shows Placer as 100% reporting but Ballot Trax shows my ballot hasn’t been counted 🤔
Same.

I'm watching the Byrne Kennedy race. NYT doesn't show placer mail in votes yet, but it's a county she's leading.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-california-house-district-4.html