Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like, people didn't vote for Trump because he was an unknown. They voted for him because they liked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So right now we are at the point where if all the states stayed how they are, Biden has 270 right?

He's been called in AZ and NE-2, leading in WI, MI, and NV, and those leads only likely to grow, correct?

Sure seems like it.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1323990204353552391

Needle Man at least seems to like Biden's chances at taking 270.

Roger Explosion posted:

Mates, Trump's losing. That's Step #1 on the road to unfucking the US. Try being a tad more positive, eh?

There's a lot of lingering questions about the future due to how much closer this was than anyone expected. I think it's reasonable for us to be worried.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

fwiw, i think the idea of just running a candidate that gives people what they need is seductive because it lets you rehabilitate a large segment of the american public instead of having to grapple with who they are. i think one of the best features of progressive ideology in general is a fundamental respect for the individual and faith in eventual progress, but i find that hard to reconcile with data that shows, for example, that young hispanic men are voting for trump explicitly because they like how he gets to speak down to women. if thats true then the best case of running the progressive issues candidate is that a group of voters who still hates women decides to vote for a candidate who can help them out of self-interest... but still hate women the day after the election. probably the more cynical take is the future of politics is the democratic party picking amongst demographic groups which hold objectively horrid opinions and hoping they can temporarily buy their votes in exchange for material gain. on one hand i guess its good when things get better for everyone, even chuds, but also its kind of depressing to know that the future of identity politics is trading picking your poison between racism, xenophobia, or sexism.

The (only) future of the party is figuring out how to unite social conservatives and social liberals along their economic class interests, and to convert social conservatives (and for that matter liberals) to a more tolerant worldview through the negotiated intersubjectivity produced by the political projects of mass struggle.

Put more concretely: if you can convince everyone to work together on fight for 15 or medicare for all, they will, by working together, actually build relationships that transcend and improve these relationships. Is the hope anyway.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

So right now we are at the point where if all the states stayed how they are, Biden has 270 right?

He's been called in AZ and NE-2, leading in WI, MI, and NV, and those leads only likely to grow, correct?

Correct

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That's my understanding:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Mooseontheloose posted:

They are party faithful. Literally.

Didn't someone flip from Hillary to Trump in 2016 or am I remembering incorrectly?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pick posted:

Like, people didn't vote for Trump because he was an unknown. They voted for him because they liked him.

It is perhaps worth asking why, given his open contempt for the processes of the government, so many people apparently hate the government and the democrats in particular, though. And what the new administration should be doing about that, if you get one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm sorry if this is a gimmick post that I'm missing, but... what the gently caress? What is the basis for giving a poo poo about the moral character of your voters?

"Vote for us because we're the good guys" doesn't just devolve into tribal politics, it IS that. Leftist policies benefit the population, rightist policies benefit a tiny elite (and directly harm people). That should be the basis for convincing people to vote for you.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 4, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I love this reality where the GOP shoots out to a huge lead and we have to wait forever for DEMOCRATIC STRONGHOLDS to be counted lol

It's my own personal hell.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

skylined! posted:

Biden controlling the EPA is infinitely better than a trump win even if he doesn’t have the senate, what is wrong with you people. Do y’all not understand how much outsized influence the executive has over government? That it controls literally all but a few agencies?

this is true and i don't want to discount that, but :lol: if you think mcconnell will confirm any good people to head those agencies, so i'm not sure what can be done about that

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Rea posted:

There's a lot of lingering questions about the future due to how much closer this was than anyone expected. I think it's reasonable for us to be worried.
Yeah, cool, great, I understand.

But orange man gone. Feel happy for at least 24 hours before coming down with the doom and gloom.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fallom posted:

Yeah “decorum” and also “the constitution”

It doesn't say poo poo about what the powers of the President are in this situation in a clear and concise manner, and they've always been "What can I get away with?". That's why Eisenhower could order school desegregation. Literally the only thing stopping Biden from just wildly doing whatever he wants and forcing the Supreme Court [Because I think it's impossible at this point for the Republicans to take the House, meaning that any hypothetical Biden presidency has a Congress unable to check him] to deal with all of it [Amazingly enough it can take months to reach the Supreme Court, by which time the money is spent] is decorum, the idea that it's not cool to do that.

There is zero chance of Joe Biden of all people doing that, which is one of the reasons people have been so demoralized by him as the choice. He was never going to be a fighter. If he wanted to he could do all sorts of crazy poo poo, but he doesn't want to.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Inferior Third Season posted:

I have faith that SCOTUS will gently caress with society on such a massive level that Democrats will turn out. Obamacare being invalidated with nothing to replace it and abortion becoming illegal in half the states are distinct possibilities.

It's possible, but the adage that "Democrats will turn out" gets thrown around every cycle. It was clear from last night that traditional Democratic voters either didn't turn out as expected (African-Americans) or actually broke for Trump (Latinos), and that was with enough fuckery in their lives already between losing jobs, the pandemic, and massive social upheaval.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

I'm sorry if this is a gimmick post that I'm missing, but... what the gently caress?

If you reassure yourself that everybody who didn't vote the way you wanted is an inhuman troglodyte, then losing becomes a moral victory!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

fwiw, i think the idea of just running a candidate that gives people what they need is seductive because it lets you rehabilitate a large segment of the american public instead of having to grapple with who they are. i think one of the best features of progressive ideology in general is a fundamental respect for the individual and faith in eventual progress, but i find that hard to reconcile with data that shows, for example, that young hispanic men are voting for trump explicitly because they like how he gets to speak down to women. if thats true

fwiw, I don’t think this provides much other than a very succinct and illuminating view of one person’s view of young, Hispanic men.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 4, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mr Interweb posted:

this is true and i don't want to discount that, but :lol: if you think mcconnell will confirm any good people to head those agencies, so i'm not sure what can be done about that

good news, biden will appoint pro-industry conservatives to lead them anyway so mcconnell will have no problem confirming them!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

It is perhaps worth asking why, given his open contempt for the processes of the government, so many people apparently hate the government and the democrats in particular, though. And what the new administration should be doing about that, if you get one.

We already have people in this very thread saying that they wish Trump had won and think that might've been better. In that light, how could that possibly be a surprise?

Kale
May 14, 2010

GOP now basically forced to see how this plays out

LeeMajors posted:

I love this reality where the GOP shoots out to a huge lead and we have to wait forever for DEMOCRATIC STRONGHOLDS to be counted lol

It's my own personal hell.

Yeah it's really loving bad

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

EngineerJoe posted:

Didn't someone flip from Hillary to Trump in 2016 or am I remembering incorrectly?

No, but a couple of Hilary electors voted for Bernie as a token piece of resistance (and also possibly to initiate a lawsuit to challenge the idea of faithless electors at the Supreme Court level).

EDIT: I'm wrong; it was 2 for Bernie, which were invalidated, and 4 for Colin Powell, which was specifically to start a court case.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 4, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Roger Explosion posted:

Yeah, cool, great, I understand.

But orange man gone. Feel happy for at least 24 hours before coming down with the doom and gloom.

Long time between now and January 2021.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

Mates, Trump's losing. That's Step #1 on the road to unfucking the US.

What’s step two?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Biden has a really good chance to get Georgia now; there are basically 300k mail in votes to go in blue areas to make up 100k in votes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FCKGW posted:

Correct

The best kind of correct

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

No, but a couple of Hilary electors voted for Bernie as a token piece of resistance (and also possibly to initiate a lawsuit to challenge the idea of faithless electors at the Supreme Court level).

Oh ok, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I like that we got the election results where both sides feel they've been owned.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

good news, biden will appoint pro-industry conservatives to lead them anyway so mcconnell will have no problem confirming them!

Lol that’ll just lead to McConnell nixing them because he absolutely cannot allow a dem victory in anything

Or was that the joke

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Shirkelton posted:

What’s step two?

Full blown communism or McConnells sudden untimely death

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Darko posted:

Biden has a really good chance to get Georgia now; there are basically 300k mail in votes to go in blue areas to make up 100k in votes.

The Needle sure seems to like Biden's chances in GA.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If Biden wins GA, I'll be interested to see if Ossoff is carried across as well.

NC somehow went for Trump, incumbent GOP Senator Thom Tillis, and....incumbent Dem Governor. Cooper is currently winning 51.5 - 47.

People in NC just really loved TRUMP

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Petey posted:

The (only) future of the party is figuring out how to unite social conservatives and social liberals along their economic class interests, and to convert social conservatives (and for that matter liberals) to a more tolerant worldview through the negotiated intersubjectivity produced by the political projects of mass struggle.

Put more concretely: if you can convince everyone to work together on fight for 15 or medicare for all, they will, by working together, actually build relationships that transcend and improve these relationships. Is the hope anyway.

Appeal to their greed and selfishness and hide the "rising tide lifts all boats" thing behind "You personally will get yours, gently caress everyone else." Florida voted for $15 an hour and More Trump.

Coat the medicine in candy.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

I live in ND, we literally don't have a process to handle what happens when a candidate dies. So in this one case, they aren't corrupt. But they did give all our coronavirus federal aid to oil companies to open new fracking wells, so there's that.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Shirkelton posted:

What’s step two?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's up to you, Yanks. In the mean time, if this hold up and it probably will, the rest of the world is pretty happy at'cha right now. So fukken lighten the gently caress up, carnt! :australia:

Edit: Now you're just being an rear end in a top hat, Shirkelton.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 4, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Full blown communism or McConnells sudden untimely death

Okay, so there isn’t one, well, that’s an inspiring bit of rhetoric from life’s winners.

Roger Explosion posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's up to you, Yanks. In the mean time, if this hold up and it probably will, the rest of the world is pretty happy at'cha right now. So fukken lighten the gently caress up, carnt! :australia:

Ignorance; it’s truly bliss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pick posted:

We already have people in this very thread saying that they wish Trump had won and think that might've been better. In that light, how could that possibly be a surprise?

Well, yeah, people really disliking the democrats and the government can manifest in a lot of ways, which really makes the question an important one to answer because I don't think people are gonna come back to them of their own volition.

What I'm getting at is that, like, trump and the republicans operate as one half of a system, the democrats are the other half, if trump's platform is very popular then the democrats have to be a part of why, no? Like they're the alternative, they've been in charge quite a while themselves, why isn't their platform powerful? What can they do to improve it?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 4, 2020

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

Right but that didn;t change the election outcome.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Let's all agree about one thing, the next couple months are gonna be WILD as gently caress.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Pick posted:

He's a performer who rewards his followers with exactly what they want to see, and makes them feel good.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Average age in the House is 57.8 years old, average age in the Senate is 62.9 years old, and average age of incoming new members elected in 2018 was 58.1 years old. Median age in the US population is ~38. Seems like a big problem across the board.

Honestly if you're over full social security benefit age you shouldn't be able to hold public office. If someone turns 67 while in office they can't run next time around. Easy fix.

What if we stopped treating electoralism every 2-4 years like the only viable method of political engagement and interaction? Imagine if political education and organizing was treated with the same importance as coercing people to vote.

this has come up in other threads, but the solution is really to work with young people before they get sucked into the fox news infosphere through extensive community based outreach, which tbh is probably what we should focus on anyway.

Shirkelton posted:

fwiw, I don’t think this provides much other than a very succinct and illuminating view of one person’s view of young, Hispanic men.

i mean we have very clear polls that show this.

Xander77 posted:

I'm sorry if this is a gimmick post that I'm missing, but... what the gently caress? What is the basis for giving a poo poo about the moral character of your voters?

"Vote for us because we're the good guys" doesn't just devolve into tribal politics, it IS that. Leftist policies benefit the population, rightist policies benefit a tiny elite (and directly harm people). That should be the basis for convincing people to vote for you.

no thats my point - one of the key criticisms was that biden focused on building on a coalition that included a large segment of essentially suburban republicans who don't mind a little racism but don't like how loud trump was. but i think the idea that there is a morally "better" coalition out there is dubious, in that it turns out that people all over have pretty bad views, and its just picking your particular electoral poison until you can reach out to young people through community organizing.

and leftist population are "the good guys" for the reason you say - because policies that help people instead of hurt them are objectively better for more people.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

I have faith that SCOTUS will gently caress with society on such a massive level that Democrats will turn out. Obamacare being invalidated with nothing to replace it and abortion becoming illegal in half the states are distinct possibilities.

depends on how early in the next four years that happens. if it happens in the first year lol nope because americans have the memory of goldfish.

at this point I think what it shows us is that the american electorate doesn't give a single flying gently caress about politics. what matters is who is more exciting!! going back to 2000, bush was exciting to proto-chuds while gore was dull. kerry was also dull. obama was way more exciting than mccain or romney. but trump, while a complete shithead fucker, is definitely more "exciting" than hillary loving clinton or joe loving biden. if biden squeaks this out it's because of all the bullshit particular to 2020 but otherwise it'd have been trump easily. the dems need to stop running dull old people and start running people who are exciting and inspiring. that's what almost always wins elections, regardless of policy. I think this is symptomatic of the group of undecideds who compartmentalize politics into "its own thing" instead of a struggle for lives, so they can treat politics as a tv show. I mean gently caress, I hate trump as a politician, but I'd watch a tv show starring him over a show starring biden because the biden show would be so dull. the problem is when you realize that it's not a tv show but has real effects and then the shithead main character can't be laughed at/with as easily. (this is not to discount the fact that republicans love racism, but what inspires them to vote for trump moreso than romney is because trump is more exciting than romney could ever dream of being)

trump is basically if frank reynolds ran for president

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I guess a small silver lining here is that Biden barely squeaking in a win could lead to Trump spending all of his efforts attempting to overturn it instead of burning the country to the ground on his way out.