Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

let me tell you about faithless electors

if faithless electors hand this to trump I will keep laughing for the rest of my life (which will be short as the virus grows and consumes us all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mulva posted:

There's literally nothing stopping Biden from using an executive order to give people emergency relief beyond 'decorum'.

Yeah “decorum” and also “the constitution”

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Still just laughing that the best both parties have been able to do is just absolutely terrible old people who should have retired years ago but are hanging on to life and limb to gently caress over others.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
How sure are we about Nevada's chances?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
There should absolutely be an age limit on presidential candidates

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

skylined! posted:

Dems are bad but how do you even combat this.

I think running a competent, coherent campaign that answers people’s needs rather than a failed, senile rapist as your figurehead would be a promising start.

I am open to other schools of thought, however.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i don't care at this point if we lose the senate. i just want collins to lose

Rea posted:

Michigan didn't just flip for Biden.

https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/1323988997555838981

This is a huge get.

:wow:

this should go a long way to unfuck MI's gerrymandering, i reckon

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Antillie posted:

Is it just me or are things looking fairly good for Biden in GA?

Most of the outstanding vote is metro Atlanta, so yeah.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

I think NV was barely outside of the margin of error. Anything can happen, but it sucks that they are not doing any updates today.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

You know, it's funny. Every time I think I can imagine the worst that 2020 can throw at us, it manages to say "lol hold my beer" and make things worse than I imagined.

I was hoping to see some kind of climate legislation at some point in the next four years. That's my priority. But no, we can't even get that.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Mr Interweb posted:

:wow:

this should go a long way to unfuck MI's gerrymandering, i reckon

It basically means, as far as I know, that the GOP's attempts to challenge MI's new independent redistricting commission are dead in the water.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Most of the outstanding vote is metro Atlanta, so yeah.

We better pray no one split the ticket between President and Senator.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Sure enough.

Gap closed enough overnight and then flipped Blue. Postal votes remaining mostly from Vegas, no more updates until Thursday as more postal votes come in to be counted.

Should be a very slim but slowly growing lead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fallom posted:

Yeah “decorum” and also “the constitution”

The constitution is a worthless document that can be ignored by anyone willing to weild power. It's only true purpose is within the document there is a codex, which contains a map to the lost city of Atlantis, which is secretly behind the Niagra falls.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skylined! posted:

Biden has received more votes than any presidential candidate in American history at this point, take that lefties :smug:

The largest popular vote total in American history and if he actually wins it will STILL just barely be a metal-on-metal grinding squeaker of a win over literal evil.

You’re all boned.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rea posted:

Michigan didn't just flip for Biden.

https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/1323988997555838981

This is a huge get.

Considering how the conservative-controlled court in MI was loving with some steps taken to slow down covid this is really good.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Still a lot of absentee votes outstanding in Clark county which is expected to go for Biden heavily.

His lead will grow but we may not get a final tally until the end of the week.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I look at this map and say to myself "are we underestimating a Trump win?"

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Vigil for Virgil posted:

So the BBC put some Trump and Biden voters in a group chat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54806089

isn't there an onion piece that is literally this

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

So it’s hard to put a number to it because of how everything else has gone but you have to feel good if you’re Biden I think. There’s like 75k mail in ballots outstanding in Clark County, which Biden won the others to the tune of 2:1. So understand the nerves, but like with WI and MI flipping based on mail votes, it seems pretty sure that Biden’s lead in NV will grow

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

fwiw, i think the idea of just running an issues focused candidate is seductive because it lets you rehabilitate a large segment of the american public instead of having to grapple with who they are. i think one of the best features of progressive ideology in general is a fundamental respect for the individual and faith in eventual progress, but i find that hard to reconcile with data that shows, for example, that young hispanic men are voting for trump explicitly because they like how he gets to speak down to women. if thats true then the best case of running the progressive issues candidate is that a group of voters who still hates women decides to vote for a candidate who can help them out of self-interest... but still hate women the day after the election. probably the more cynical take is the future of politics is the democratic party picking amongst demographic groups which hold objectively horrid opinions and hoping they can temporarily buy their votes in exchange for material gain. on one hand i guess its good when things get better for everyone, even chuds, but also its kind of depressing to know that the future of identity politics is trading picking your poison between racism, xenophobia, or sexism.

i think the other lesson of this election is that previously unactivated voters aren't just better people who are turned off by the problems of the system. for every first time progressive the democrats turned out, trump as activated a first time chud. i don't know if a strategy premised on winning through activating unengaged voters is even viable anymore, unless it can only be used by one candidate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 4, 2020

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Jigsaw posted:

biden ought to have his head dunked in a toilet anyway. hope he wins (and currently signs are encouraging) but gently caress him. it shouldn't be this close

At this point Biden winning may be the worse outcome. The only way 2022 isn't a slaughter is if Trump is the one holding the bag.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
You have to feel good if you’re Biden, if your Swiss-cheese brain with holes big enough to piss through allows you to feel anything cogent at all.

The guy has absolutely bottled the Unlosable Election 2 and has probably cratered the Democratic Party’s future for the next ten years or so.

If there is some strangled chain that allows Biden to assume the presidency, he is still firmly sunk by midterms.

Beyond that, there are dragons.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

let me tell you about faithless electors

They are party faithful. Literally.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Seyser Koze posted:

At this point Biden winning may be the worse outcome. The only way 2022 isn't a slaughter is if Trump is the one holding the bag.

what a post

nooo way

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Seyser Koze posted:

yeah i've thought of this altnernate future as well, and i'm not sure if biden winning is better or worse for us in the long term

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Seyser Koze posted:

No.

Just no.

There is no possible scenario in which a Trump win is "better" for this country by any quantifiable meaure.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Seyser Koze posted:

This is a complete garbage take. There's still the fact that Biden as president would come with it an entirely new cabinet that likely won't be filled with people there to simply destroy their given department, and there will be a completely different tone coming from national leadership. That poo poo matters.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
What could have the democrats done besides not run with the ticket they went with'? They had all the cards seemingly stacked in their favor and still a repeat of 2016.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The impression should not at all be the candidate almost lost because they were bad, it's clear that Trump and what he stands for is incredibly strong

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Seyser Koze posted:

with the shift in voter demographics i don't think there's any way for 2022 to not be a bloodbath no matter who wins this year. 2024 is what matters at this point. dems got until then to figure something out and i see absolutely no reason to believe they will after they so clearly learned jack poo poo from 2016.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ethiser posted:

We better pray no one split the ticket between President and Senator.

It’s already happened. Ossoff is underperforming Biden and is a longer shot to win.

There’s an outside chance the senate will depend on a loeffler-warnock runoff in January which is chaoslol.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Seyser Koze posted:

I have faith that SCOTUS will gently caress with society on such a massive level that Democrats will turn out. Obamacare being invalidated with nothing to replace it and abortion becoming illegal in half the states are distinct possibilities.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So right now we are at the point where if all the states stayed how they are, Biden has 270 right?

He's been called in AZ and NE-2, leading in WI, MI, and NV, and those leads only likely to grow, correct?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

skylined! posted:

It’s already happened. Ossoff is underperforming Biden and is a longer shot to win.

There’s an outside chance the senate will depend on a loeffler-warnock runoff in January which is chaoslol.

Warnock isn't going to win that. He come in at 10% lower than polling. That combined with Collins supporting Loeffler, and traditionally better Republican turnout in races like that, Loeffler is likely to win it.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Ringo Star Get posted:

Still just laughing that the best both parties have been able to do is just absolutely terrible old people who should have retired years ago but are hanging on to life and limb to gently caress over others.

Soul of the nation.

One Neo-Liberal party with 2 wings: a fascist wing and a conservative to moderate leaning wing. We really are a one party state.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Mates, Trump's losing. That's Step #1 on the road to unfucking the US. Try being a tad more positive, eh?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah i've thought of this altnernate future as well, and i'm not sure if biden winning is better or worse for us in the long term

Biden controlling the EPA is infinitely better than a trump win even if he doesn’t have the senate, what is wrong with you people. Do y’all not understand how much outsized influence the executive has over government? That it controls literally all but a few agencies?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Trump county still refusing to count votes lol

https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1323995528930230273

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

There should absolutely be an age limit on presidential candidates

Average age in the House is 57.8 years old, average age in the Senate is 62.9 years old, and average age of incoming new members elected in 2018 was 58.1 years old. Median age in the US population is ~38. Seems like a big problem across the board.

Honestly if you're over full social security benefit age you shouldn't be able to hold public office. If someone turns 67 while in office they can't run next time around. Easy fix.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

fwiw, i think the idea of just running an issues focused candidate is seductive because it lets you rehabilitate a large segment of the american public instead of having to grapple with who they are. i think one of the best features of progressive ideology in general is a fundamental respect for the individual and faith in eventual progress, but i find that hard to reconcile with data that shows, for example, that young hispanic men are voting for trump explicitly because they like how he gets to speak down to women. if thats true then the best case of running the progressive issues candidate is that a group of voters who still hates women decides to vote for a candidate who can help them out of self-interest... but still hate women the day after the election. probably the more cynical take is the future of politics is the democratic party picking amongst demographic groups which hold objectively horrid opinions and hoping they can temporarily buy their votes in exchange for material gain. on one hand i guess its good when things get better for everyone, even chuds, but also its kind of depressing to know that the future of identity politics is trading picking your poison between racism, xenophobia, or sexism.

i think the other lesson of this election is that previously unactivated voters aren't just better people who are turned off by the problems of the system. for every first time progressive the democrats turned out, trump as activated a first time chud. i don't know if a strategy premised on winning through activating unengaged voters is even viable anymore, unless it can only be used by one candidate.

What if we stopped treating electoralism every 2-4 years like the only viable method of political engagement and interaction? Imagine if political education and organizing was treated with the same importance as coercing people to vote.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 4, 2020