Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Looks great
Malifaux has a lotta balls constantly giving you bases the models dont actually fit on
Thanks! :)
And yeah, it's getting pretty ridiculous, but I still can't wait to see the Malisaurus Rex in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

I speedpainted Envy for an upcoming Malifaux game. Hopefully he'll kill many, many demons.

Looks good!

Ignite Memories posted:

Looks great
Malifaux has a lotta balls constantly giving you bases the models dont actually fit on

Envy isnt even the only one in that box that doesnt fit on his base. He is the biggest though. Its especially annoying because the base sizes are enforced by the rules for any given model, so its not like they dont know in advance when designing it what size of base its going to end up on!

Electric Hobo posted:

And yeah, it's getting pretty ridiculous, but I still can't wait to see the Malisaurus Rex in real life.

Is that a real upcoming kit? Or like the undercover reporters where the fun concept (pantomime horse) was eventually replaced with something duller (hiding in a barrel)?

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 2, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Goobertown discord is liking the Sonic Mini 4K in 3D printer chat. I'm still in the research/am I going to get one phase so can't comment on personal experience.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
Hello, minis goons!! I'm getting into miniatures mostly from an art, model, and diorama building perspective (although my fiancé is painting up a 40k Thousand Sons army that I'm planning on building a display board for eventually. Already following the terrain thread).

Does anyone know of a place I can buy creepy robed cultist figurines in HO scale? I don't care what system or systems they're from, just that they look like the kind of nondescript cultish folks that would show up doing human sacrifices in an 80s B movie. Most things I find are the 50s Americana style people that model railroaders seem to like for some reason, or they're just way too huge of a scale to work with. Are there fantasyish game figs that tiny that exist in the world? Or like a list where I can get some so I can use different kinds for future builds?

(Side note: I tried looking for historical wargames figures that might fit the bill and HOLY poo poo that learning curve is more of a vertical wall than anything. I'm not opposed to using historical sources since they're often in the right scale, I just have no earthly idea where to start. You guys have a *really* niche thing going on and I applaud the sheer attention to detail)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
HO scale is 21mm, so a little smaller/larger than the usual 28mm and 15mm minis used for gaming. You might be a bit hard-pressed to find something that specific at 21mm unless you own (or know someone who owns) a resin 3D printer and can scale something down.

If you're willing to upscale to 28mm, I'm pretty fond of the cultists in Reaper Miniatures' Bones line. They've got some generic ones and a few that have a bit more character/personality.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Looks good!

SiKboy posted:

Is that a real upcoming kit? Or like the undercover reporters where the fun concept (pantomime horse) was eventually replaced with something duller (hiding in a barrel)?
Wyrd has said that that is the sculpt, but i honestly hope they come up with something different. Even if its just an extra base with a leg on it, it'll be easier to use in the game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Wyrd has said that that is the sculpt, but i honestly hope they come up with something different. Even if its just an extra base with a leg on it, it'll be easier to use in the game.

That thing is definitely going to tip over any time you try to move it near any terrain. Or other models.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Mirthless posted:

i blew my top over this in the other thread but seriously this is incredible and I hope I am this good someday, WOW.

I absolutely love your shading style

Thanks man, I appreciate the encouragement. I'm still working on the pics, I feel like things are getting a bit washed out, or too dark. The shading looks a lot better in person. I used to take all my mini pics with my dlsr but since coming back I found my phone to be easier. I think the issue is just the lighting.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

HO scale is 21mm, so a little smaller/larger than the usual 28mm and 15mm minis used for gaming. You might be a bit hard-pressed to find something that specific at 21mm unless you own (or know someone who owns) a resin 3D printer and can scale something down.

If you're willing to upscale to 28mm, I'm pretty fond of the cultists in Reaper Miniatures' Bones line. They've got some generic ones and a few that have a bit more character/personality.

Aw, beans. That's what I was kinda afraid of. I tried ordering some of The Bones stuff thinking I'd be okay going with 28mm, but it was just way bigger than I wanted to go for this build. Thanks for the help though!! I'm thinking at this point I might be able to repaint a nun or commission someone with a resin printer. Also thank you so much for telling me the mm scale I need; that's super helpful.

Probably going to do 28mm on my next build so I can get some more interesting minis.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So here's where I'm at on the white armor:

I am absolutely sure I want to do the power armor this way now, the soft tone wash looks sick imo. I could not find the citadel sepia wash (it was the one wash sold out at my lgs, go figure) but the army painter soft tone seems to work and I've still got a couple of other things I can compare on the rest of the sisters I have to assemble and paint, and of course this one's still a WIP. I'm not sure on the trim color for sure yet (I may replace the purple robe with a darker off-white like the original armor I was referencing, and then try a purple liner instead? I'll test it on another model and see how it looks.) and the face and hair obviously still need to be done

As an aside, the first set of 40k minis I ever bought was a battle sisters squad, and out of that squad, I painted this one mini, poorly, and the rest ended up in a box to be forgotten. The next time I go up to see my mom I am going to dig through her hoards and see if I can't find a squad of them somewhere, heh. Maybe I can even find that lovely first mini I painted, caked in bad primer and the testor's enamel paint you used to be able to buy at wal-mart for 50 cents a pot.

Getting a fresh one to do when I was a grown up was nice, when I actually have supplies and a little skill.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 2, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axqu posted:

Aw, beans. That's what I was kinda afraid of. I tried ordering some of The Bones stuff thinking I'd be okay going with 28mm, but it was just way bigger than I wanted to go for this build.

Yeah, 28mm is about 1/3rd larger (and 15mm is about 1/3rd smaller) than you're looking for. The only 21mm cultist I've found is this guy and I don't think a tiny squid man meets your criteria.

Edit: One thing you might want to consider though are HO Scale friars or monks. They're just men in brown robes who are sometimes holding books, make a little hood out of green stuff or milliput or your hobby sculpting material of choice and paint them black or red and voila, instant cultist!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 2, 2020

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

So here's where I'm at on the white armor:

I am absolutely sure I want to do the power armor this way now, the soft tone wash looks sick imo. I could not find the citadel sepia wash (it was the one wash sold out at my lgs, go figure) but the army painter soft tone seems to work and I've still got a couple of other things I can compare on the rest of the sisters I have to assemble and paint, and of course this one's still a WIP. I'm not sure on the trim color for sure yet (I may replace the purple robe with a darker off-white like the original armor I was referencing, and then try a purple liner instead? I'll test it on another model and see how it looks.) and the face and hair obviously still need to be done
Looking good! I think you'll be better off doing the cloth in a different color than white. Even with a trim it'll look muddled at a distance. White loves all colors so you can't really go wrong with any heavily saturated colors, then maybe add a white trim?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Anyone have a recommendation for a spray booth/hood? Something small and easily collapsible would be ideal since I don't have a dedicated hobby space. I checked out the ones on Amazon, but they're kind of indistinguishable and none of them has enough reviews/ratings to make me feel good about taking the plunge.

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 2, 2020

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, 28mm is about 1/3rd larger (and 15mm is about 1/3rd smaller) than you're looking for. The only 21mm cultist I've found is this guy and I don't think a tiny squid man meets your criteria.

Edit: One thing you might want to consider though are HO Scale friars or monks. They're just men in brown robes who are sometimes holding books, make a little hood out of green stuff or milliput or your hobby sculpting material of choice and paint them black or red and voila, instant cultist!

Squid man almost would've worked. If he was a frog guy he totally would have. The monk idea is absolutely fantastic though and I just ordered a set!! Thank you so much. I'm so excited.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I also did a white armor over the weekend. Got my hands on a box of Space Hulk without the miniatures, so had to start painting up some terminators.
And of course they had to be old school Deathwing ones! (This mini is old and metal, and it shows, so now I'm thinking about getting some Dark Vengeance terminators.)

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Communist Walrus posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a spray booth/hood? Something small and easily collapsible would be ideal since I don't have a dedicated hobby space. I checked out the ones on Amazon, but they're kind of indistinguishable and none of them has enough reviews/ratings to make me feel good about taking the plunge.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01HZ1HDF6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_zRjOFb937E42F

That's what I bought and it works just fine.

EDIT: To clarify, it collapses and is pretty small. When it's... "expanded"? It's pretty small still. I have a small stand up desk and it doesn't cover the whole thing when it's opened up.

Spiv fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 3, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ahh I forgot to base the cartouches black so the metallic came out weird. Oh well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Some Flame Skulls, and a spiritual weapon. :toot:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 3, 2020

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Did some guys

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Working on Ghaz. I ended up redoing his arm and armor, it was way too yellow before and didn't have enough contrast. Thankfully contrast Black Templar has really nice blue-tinted coverage that goes over well with just 2-3 coats.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That is beautiful, love the blue/blue-black.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I also did a white armor over the weekend. Got my hands on a box of Space Hulk without the miniatures, so had to start painting up some terminators.
And of course they had to be old school Deathwing ones! (This mini is old and metal, and it shows, so now I'm thinking about getting some Dark Vengeance terminators.)

Timeless cool right here.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
[Wrong thread]

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 3, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished up my gaming group's starting party for Gloomhaven. The model quality is quite different from the GW ones I've painted up until now, but I ended up finding them quite charming in all their wonkiness.

I did Cragheart (left) first and gave him some gloss varnish that I wanted to dull down with matte varnish. However, after two coats of matte varnish he still looks slight wet. Any suggestions for dulling him down further?

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 3, 2020

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Those put my gloomhaven minis to shame. That's some nice OSL.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Winklebottom posted:

Finished up my gaming group's starting party for Gloomhaven. The model quality is quite different from the GW ones I've painted up until now, but I ended up finding them quite charming in all their wonkiness.

I did Cragheart (left) first and gave him some gloss varnish that I wanted to dull down with matte varnish. However, after two coats of matte varnish he still looks slight wet. Any suggestions for dulling him down further?

Holy poo poo that OSL is rad. Especially contrasting against the purple.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Finally got my resin printer up and rolling, very fun to discover I forgot how to zenith highlight / drybrush / wash in the past few months. But what better way to de-rust than with inexpensive joke models.

Anyway, here's Pete Birdigeg from Hero Forge.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I have a few more details to go but I'm done for tonight I think. I wanna add a bit more color to the backpack and some bits and bobs throughout. Not too happy with the base but maybe a more solid black rim will make it look nicer.

Bonus:

Don't talk to me or my sons again!

cross posting because I'm proud of my big ork dad

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished up my first batch of elves. I'm pretty happy with these, the earthy bronzes work nicely with the greens. The armor's a bit sinister which works for elves in my setting, who are notable for their unblinking eyes and insect/arachnid atavistic traits.

... Only twelve more to go!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Bucnasti posted:

If you’re looking for actual fluorescent paint and not just a very bright color, There is a very bright fluorescent magenta in the Vallejo Mecha Color line.

Real fluorescent paints tend to have poor coverage so you need to use a lot of coats.

I think that was in one of the videos I saw, very bright but I was aiming for a more deep purple. I didn't want to do classic green with these but don't know what else will look good for the energy weapons and glow/

Tried a craft fluoro paint from Michaels and it was awful (not pictured here)

goodness fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 4, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Verisimilidude posted:

As a connoisseur of Orks and Orruks and all Greenskins, I'm proud of him too.

I really like the cold dark blue of the armor. I have a similar result on my Orruks for some pieces of armor but not quite. Could you share the process for yours?

Furism fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 4, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ah, I gave in and subscribed to Asset Drop. We'll see how long it takes to drown in paint bottles.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished painting Illuminor Szeras this week so I guess that means he's ready for a couple of glamour shots while he does his little turn on the catwalk.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Furism posted:

As a connoisseur of Orks and Orruks and all Greenskins, I'm proud of him too.

I really like the cold dark blue of the armor. I have a similar result on my Orruks for some pieces of armor but not quite. Could you share the process for yours?

The black is 2 layers of contrast black templar over wraithbone. I then highlighted it with a medium blue gray that was mixed with a few different colors. The highlights definitely give it the illusion of being blueish.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Haven't posted in a while, so here's a bunch of stuff I've done since lockdown

https://imgur.com/a/RssrRLG

Did my Judiciar a bit differently, wanted to try some colors I like but rarely use, like Jokaero Orange and Incubi Darkness:

Finished off my squad of 10 veteran Intercessors:

Started a project to get all my Deathwatch shoulderpads done:

Couple odd projects that are complete or mostly complete, Invictor Warsuit, Aragorn, Indomitus LT, bought a playmat for my home table, finished my Eliminators, etc etc

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Toebone posted:

Those put my gloomhaven minis to shame. That's some nice OSL.

TotalHell posted:

Holy poo poo that OSL is rad. Especially contrasting against the purple.

Thanks! OSL is fun but I'm always doing it with my heart in my throat, worrying about ruining the underlying paint job :v:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Verisimilidude posted:

This looks great, is it all contrast paints?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Winklebottom posted:

Thanks! OSL is fun but I'm always doing it with my heart in my throat, worrying about ruining the underlying paint job :v:

Try oil, if you don't like the result you have like 24 hours to wipe it off with a bit of thinner without ruining the paint below.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Fingat posted:

This looks great, is it all contrast paints?

yup, with the exception of the metallics (vallejo metal) and the highlights on the armor and the base, everything is contrast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

AndyElusive posted:

Finished painting Illuminor Szeras this week so I guess that means he's ready for a couple of glamour shots while he does his little turn on the catwalk.

That is extremely cool. Well done!