Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Trump is back on twitter and losing his poo poo because that whole campaign he did where he told people not to vote by mail worked, but only on his side. Also twitter keep censoring him so lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

So, with the lockdown and everything, looks like I'm going to be spending Christmas alone, and I'm sure I'm far from the only one in that situation. Anyone got any tips for making Christmas dinner for one?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I saw someone going at least 25mph on an electric scooter, in a cycle lane, while I was on my way home from work.
It's better than the people riding theirs on the pavement, but there's a point where you should probably be using the road.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

I never quite knew how to put into words how the centrists view the world, but this sums it up perfectly. "A cabal of elites ruling us, yes, but not these bad ones".
Thomas Frank recently released a book on this subject called People Without Power: A Brief History of Anti-Populism which is apparently excellent. I was listening to him talk about it on the War Nerd and I all I kept thinking about is how perfectly it aligns with centrists in the UK as well.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

So, with the lockdown and everything, looks like I'm going to be spending Christmas alone, and I'm sure I'm far from the only one in that situation. Anyone got any tips for making Christmas dinner for one?

get yourself a chicken leg (or turkey if you want plenty for leftovers)

everything else is basically the same but scaled down to a single portion

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yup fork out for the pre prepared veg packs, and pigs in blankets and see if you can find a cheap turkey crown, or one of those frozen three birds. (Supermarkets always do 3 for 2 on the pre prepared stuff.)

Fry veg leftovers together the next day and use the rest of the bird for sandwiches and curry dinner so you don’t end up over spending. Honestly all that other Christmas dinner for one stuff is dire and depressing as hell.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

therattle posted:

Even if you don’t see much difference between Biden and Trump don’t you want to see Trump lose just to witness his meltdown?

I will admit that it is soothing my heart mightily right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Buy a turkey leg which is the best part and pre prepped veg. Cover the veg in honey and have fun.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Talking of hearts, mine could use some soothing.. my heart rate hasn’t dropped below 115bpm all day, with spikes of 130-150 even when idle :p

My smart watch yelling at me about how this is unhealthy is /really/ not helping the anxiety either.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

learnincurve posted:

Trump is back on twitter and losing his poo poo because that whole campaign he did where he told people not to vote by mail worked, but only on his side. Also twitter keep censoring him so lol.

This will continue all night. I'm not sure the man understands how elections work in the US. Next he'll cry foul about the postal votes being counted the following day. I thought the republicans were pro military and it seems to suck if your stationed abroad right now given the rhetoric.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Camrath posted:

Talking of hearts, mine could use some soothing.. my heart rate hasn’t dropped below 115bpm all day, with spikes of 130-150 even when idle :p

My smart watch yelling at me about how this is unhealthy is /really/ not helping the anxiety either.

Take the smart watch off, IMO.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tangerines posted:

This will continue all night. I'm not sure the man understands how elections work in the US. Next he'll cry foul about the postal votes being counted the following day. I thought the republicans were pro military and it seems to suck if your stationed abroad right now given the rhetoric.

Which will be great comedy if he expects to rely on the military to back his coup.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

I dont know if the leadership would back it, but surely you'd have a ton of pissed off personnel to contend with, who just happen to be running their aircraft carriers

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Really all it would take is for Biden to be declared the winner and then the marine guard can just march him out the White House and throw his bags out after. Comedy option, someone low level in security revokes his access and he gets flagged as an intruder.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I do love turkey leftovers so I was generally thinking of getting a whole bird and then basically living off sandwiches for a week. Can you even get smaller turkeys though?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

learnincurve posted:

Really all it would take is for Biden to be declared the winner and then the marine guard can just march him out the White House and throw his bags out after. Comedy option, someone low level in security revokes his access and he gets flagged as an intruder.

He’s still president til January at least

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tangerines posted:

he's not disputing postal votes because he actually thinks they're illegitimate, he's disputing them because they're looking like being the reason he's gonna lose

Comrade Fakename posted:

I do love turkey leftovers so I was generally thinking of getting a whole bird and then basically living off sandwiches for a week. Can you even get smaller turkeys though?

you can get a turkey crown which is basically just the breast meat (no wings, no legs)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Comrade Fakename posted:

You can get some fancy smaller pre-prepared turkey this year, few places have them where they have rolled the meat round stuffing and wrapped it in bacon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

Anyone got any tips for making Christmas dinner for one?
I was just writing

Guavanaut posted:

Get bacon and sausage or Vegan equivalent and make pigs in blankets.
Mash or bake a potato.
Get one of those steamfresh vegetable packs, I think you can get them with sprouts.
and trying to think of good chicken chunks or something (also there's an excellent bean based chicken that's better than chicken now for some purposes) when work stuff happened, but I see

learnincurve posted:

Yup fork out for the pre prepared veg packs, and pigs in blankets and see if you can find a cheap turkey crown, or one of those frozen three birds. (Supermarkets always do 3 for 2 on the pre prepared stuff.)

Fry veg leftovers together the next day and use the rest of the bird for sandwiches and curry dinner so you don’t end up over spending. Honestly all that other Christmas dinner for one stuff is dire and depressing as hell.
thinks similar.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Comrade Fakename posted:

Just use a chicken and pretend

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kingturnip posted:

I saw someone going at least 25mph on an electric scooter, in a cycle lane, while I was on my way home from work.
It's better than the people riding theirs on the pavement, but there's a point where you should probably be using the road.

I’m just waiting to read about a fatality. A lot of electric scooter riders ride really fast, recklessly and without helmets.

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://www.game.co.uk/en/the-game-christmas-tinner-2704307

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do not take Jose's advice on anything related to chicken.

Jose posted:

have you tried rubbing cum on them op

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Julio Cruz posted:

you can get a turkey crown which is basically just the breast meat (no wings, no legs)

The blandest part of the blandest bird, ideal for depression

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

For Sunday roasts, I get chicken thighs or those big rear end whole chicken legs. Peel and chop potatoes/parsnips/carrots (and cook the spuds until soft), coat everything with oil, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme, throw in oven at 200 for 40 mins. Put stuffing in ten minutes later and everything is acceptably cooked at the same time. You can make peas and gravy basically last minute.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How could I forget stuffing. Yeah, make a big bowl of stuffing mix. Put butter/olive spread and salt in. Partition into balls and freeze any you don't eat in a tupperware.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Many of my American friends did mail-in ballots BUT walked/drove them to the relevant places where they could be collected in advance (not trusting the postal services after Trump started messing with those and being very wary of any tricks that he or the crazed loon MAGAs might pull on polling day if they were to do 'voting on the day in person').

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Man, I've already got a burger on the go, but all I want now is a giant roast, big enough to tear my belly asunder.

Maybe tomorrow.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks for the advice. What about actually buying turkeys and stuff? You have to order ahead, don't you?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Comrade Fakename posted:

Thanks for the advice. What about actually buying turkeys and stuff? You have to order ahead, don't you?

Just go to the supermarket and get a frozen one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just buy turkey breast or something, there's no sense cooking a whole bird for one, you'll be sick of turkey by the end of the week.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

if you're getting it from an actual local butcher, yes probably

but supermarkets will have plenty if you go in about a week before

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Just buy turkey breast or something, there's no sense cooking a whole bird for one, you'll be sick of turkey by the end of the week.

You might be surprised to hear that I have eaten turkey at Christmas before, many times in fact. Just not prepared the dinner.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The real trick is getting good gravy. Because turkey exists purely as a vector for gravy delivery.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Guavanaut posted:

never

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

You might be surprised to hear that I have eaten turkey at Christmas before, many times in fact. Just not prepared the dinner.
A whole turkey for one is a lot of turkey. Have you eaten turkey at Candlemas before?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I hate that we're at the point in our civilisation where right now, around the world, literally thousands of highly-paid journalists are reading out Donald Trump tweets.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

learnincurve posted:

That was the point of it. If a load of mail in votes come in and flip the election for Biden, he can try and claim it's all rigged.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The real trick is getting good gravy. Because turkey exists purely as a vector for gravy delivery.

Heaped teaspoon of Bisto, conservative amount of boiling water, keep whisking water in until it's thinner than yoghurt but thick enough to crest the jug like a particularly glutinous wave. Then smother it over everything on the plate such that nothing survives.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 4, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if you're going to drown everything in fake gravy then you might as well buy chicken because there's no way you'll be able to tell the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Absolutely made my day with UKMT tank chat.