Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

If my napkin math is right (and those numbers are accurate), that means Biden needs about 65-70% of those outstanding votes to swing in his favor. I guess it's not impossible with how other mail-in votes have been trending, but it's still frustratingly close.

It's not mail-in though, unless I'm mistaken. It's mostly day-of ballots from Atlanta that were delayed, so expecting that to not stray far from Biden's 80% ratio in that area is not unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BougieBitch posted:

They passed a bunch of good poo poo, including voter re-enfranchisement, unemployment extension, and emergency universal income checks, but turns out you actually need the senate to pass laws.

Almost doesn't count for poo poo here, sorry. If one party can shut down the possibility of legislation passing then the other party better have a plan for punishing them or getting around that beyond "vote!".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BougieBitch posted:

You can't campaign on a single issue because there are 50 states and they don't all care about all the issues. The Republicans get a free pass on this because 40% of the voters are "no to literally every good thing", but for Dems the voters can be "yes to one good thing, no to the rest" or "yes to everything but abortion, and if you say anything about abortion I'll vote for the republican" and there's sometimes no way to thread the needle there in a way that counts to 50%

you can't campaign on one thing but you can campaign on like...two or three and that's all you loving need.

M4A
GND
General Worker's Rights poo poo

There, you have a loose platform that basically polls nothing but massively well country wide.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

luxury handset posted:

it's worth pointing out that amish generally don't vote, as part of the whole theology of remaining separated from the world. likewise, amish generally don't seek political office

if they DID vote in large numbers, they would probably lean R being religious conservatives. but even 20% turnout among amish would be shockingly high

Yeah, typically they’re apolitical though someone did post a photo of 10 buggies with trump flags in this thread or the us pol one. They’re just lovely for other things like running lots of puppy mills, meth labs, and treating female members like dog poo poo.

It’s a big county but I don’t think their returns would outweigh what’s left in Philly.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Secret Machine posted:

Yeah, typically they’re apolitical though someone did post a photo of 10 buggies with trump flags in this thread or the us pol one. They’re just lovely for other things like running lots of puppy mills, meth labs, and treating female members like dog poo poo.

It’s a big county but I don’t think their returns would outweigh what’s left in Philly.

What the blue hell is going on in Nevada?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ImpAtom posted:

FDR didn't exist in the era where massive social media companies have unprecedented control over the American psyche and have proven to be able to craft completely alternate realities.
And the cure for that is to wonk out over policy details? Accept the critics from media networks and think tanks as operating in good faith, and get bogged down in public snoozefests about how raising the minimum wage destroys jobs and Medicare 4 All is racist or whatever? It doesn't follow.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Biden lead in Michigan up to 48k

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Same. Everything I've worked for locally has gotten completely blown the gently caress out in the most favorable environment for progressive change that I've ever seen. I'm done with voters forever, I'm redirecting all my work to mutual aid and a couple interest groups for affordable housing and green initiatives.

LorneReams posted:

I have been. It's not working. I pushed and got an extremely progressive candidate elected in a special election. He won by like 12 votes. I then pushed and got a slate of 4 progressive candidates running for this cycle. I spent hundreds of hours phone banking and chatting up people, marketing fliers with policy positions that seem like common loving sense, and the result was they all lost by hundreds of votes. Every single one of them. I consider my local area to be mostly progressive, and you get that when you talk to people. The things they want are aligned closely with progressive goals and ideals. Then the area goes 49% for Trump and I feel like I'm living on another loving planet.

It's the same story where I live. The progressives got demolished in elections. Which is why I laugh whenever I see people suggesting Dems just need to go hard left on everything and they'll win. Just too many people who are terminally online and think their progressive enclaves reflect the rest of the country.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

sexpig by night posted:

you can't campaign on one thing but you can campaign on like...two or three and that's all you loving need.

M4A
GND

There, you have a loose platform that basically polls nothing but massively well country wide.

Be sure to channel those policies through a candidate you can have a beer with, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

Almost doesn't count for poo poo here, sorry. If one party can shut down the possibility of legislation passing then the other party better have a plan for punishing them or getting around that beyond "vote!".

And just what would that be, specifically? How do you punish the opposing party for intransigence? Particularly when that is exactly what their own voters want?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SexyBlindfold posted:

Be sure to channel those policies through a candidate you can have a beer with, though.

Do we know what kind of beer AOC drinks?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the scuttlebutt with PA? Very low number counted (sub 70% I think), do we know when they'll start counting again?

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

https://twitter.com/mschlapp/status/1324031623785029634?s=20

I don't know how real this is but the whole comment section is Trump voters claiming they got sharpies at their voting booths.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

fadam posted:

What's the scuttlebutt with PA? Very low number counted (sub 70% I think), do we know when they'll start counting again?

They expect to be done by friday, maybe

Ganon
May 24, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

Biden lead in Michigan up to 48k

Gary Peters still down by around 7,000 if the DecisionDesk numbers are right

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Vorik posted:

It's the same story where I live. The progressives got demolished in elections. Which is why I laugh whenever I see people suggesting Dems just need to go hard left on everything and they'll win. Just too many people who are terminally online and think their progressive enclaves reflect the rest of the country.

Meanwhile: in reality and not your smug liberal bubble actual progressive policy is popular but no politician actually supports it. The dems have bee aiming for the white racist right winger and its not gotten them anywhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

The issue there is that 'vote' is literally the only option there. There isn't One Weird Trick The Senate Hates. The American government system is absurdly badly designed and never assumed it would be facing situations like it is and so it cracks drastically under said situations. At the end of the day literally the only option within the system itself is to vote them out.

Our government is immensely and intensely hosed and I have no idea how to fix it and I don't think anyone does. Demands the Democrats wave their magic wands and fix things doesn't actually help matters because there is no magic wand to fix. The system is strained to the breaking point right now and is going to shatter unless something drastically changes, which it looks like it won't.

Dr Pepper posted:

Meanwhile: in reality and not your smug liberal bubble actual progressive policy is popular but no politician actually supports it. The dems have bee aiming for the white racist right winger and its not gotten them anywhere.

Unfortunately this is provably untrue. :smith:

If Biden wins it is almost entirely due to making gains with white folks. Which loving sucks and the only potential argument is "but his losses with minorities offset that" and that is something that is going to be litigated until the end of the time because it wasn't that BIden lost minority voters but that Trump gained them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fadam posted:

PA seems likely to break for Biden at this point because it's all early votes remaining, but idk when they'll count again. Later this week is when they're expected to finish I believe.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Frekkie Melody posted:

I don't know how real this is but the whole comment section is Trump voters claiming they got sharpies at their voting booths.

I'm gonna piss myself laughing if the chud districts handed out sharpies to ape Trump's penchant for those things and it ended up disenfranchising a ton of them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Frekkie Melody posted:

The only people I've seen talking about this are TCOT guys and r/Conservative. I'm not saying it's not a potential issue, but I'm going to wait before jumping to conclusions.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

M4A
GND

Swearingen lost by 50 points and campaigned on 2 if not 3 of those.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
John King is a goddamn beast machine on his election reporting for CNN

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

What the blue hell is going on in Nevada?

Uh... we’re talking about Lancaster county in Pennsylvania. Vast portions of the commonwealth could easily be mistaken for towns south of the mason dixon line, hence the name, Pennsyltucky.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Frekkie Melody posted:

He's a chud and this is gonna be their fraud election party line thing

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Frekkie Melody posted:

Extremely dubious source, what were they systematically distributing these magic sharpies only in GOP districts?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Frekkie Melody posted:

I think I'm being radicalized because my first thought was "get hosed", even though I know that is probably the wrong response to disenfranchisement.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

if we look at current CNN numbers, it's a biden win, if the ratios stay the same.

However, I don't know if CNN numbers are accurate

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Deteriorata posted:

And just what would that be, specifically? How do you punish the opposing party for intransigence? Particularly when that is exactly what their own voters want?

You take to the streets and start burning things down. Voting is useless, direct action gets the goods.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1324044657022640128

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

LorneReams posted:

I think I'm being radicalized because my first thought was "get hosed", even though I know that is probably the wrong response to disenfranchisement.

Laughing about fascists loving themselves out of the vote is not radicalization. Enjoy it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Secret Machine posted:

Uh... we’re talking about Lancaster county in Pennsylvania. Vast portions of the commonwealth could easily be mistaken for towns south of the mason dixon line, hence the name, Pennsyltucky.

No I'm talking about Nevada, who said they don't have any updates until tomorrow.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Frekkie Melody posted:

It’s matt schlapp, one of the worst people alive. So no, not actually something to care about.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DynamicSloth posted:

Extremely dubious source, what were they systematically distributing these magic sharpies only in GOP districts?

This is fake news apparently.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/video/867529

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If Arizona is remotely competent using sharpie doesn't discount your vote.

It does make it a massive loving pain to eventually count and I feel real bad for the people at whatever county's Board of Elections that is.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Good to see things this morning are right in line with what I hoped before going to bed last night. Yes, technically Trump could still win, but it's not hubris to take Biden out of the Worried category. What I am still worried about is the Senate. Dems need two more pick ups to win control and the options are fading. One Georgia race is officially going to run-off in January and there is a non-zero chance that the other might. If it does, or if Collins somehow loses her lich-like grip on Maine, then control of the Senate (and the ability to pass or block anything, fill the courts, etc.) hangs on one vote in Georgia. If ya'll were stressed by last night where Biden underperformed but never lost a must-have state, then that January is going to be straight up apocalyptical.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The sharpie thing was at more than just chud voting centers. People were complaining about it in Philly and Chicago too from what I can tell.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Even Scott Walker is calling this a long shot. Good luck with that, I guess.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Of course they do.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I doubt a loving sharpie can defeat a voting system machine. It’s just a way to stir the poo poo pot and claim fraud.

This election is clown shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

~"you can't always get what you want"~