Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Inject this into my veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Gaius Marius posted:

They can. Honestly I find your defeatism pathetic.

I find your lack of faith.... disturbing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Snacksmaniac posted:

Tons of John James signs in my (mostly R) area. I guess the really weak attack ads worked for James -- and hes a TROOP.
John Fuckin James

That loving I'm a TROOP and btw I'm not one of the scary blacks that burns stuff ad. God I hate him.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I work in the Chemical industry which means I do business with a lot of people in the reddest of states.
The overall impression I got from these business relationships is that a lot of the GOP voters (especially in the South) hated Obama because he was black. It's bad enough that anyone involved in business votes Republican but the idea that they had a BLACK person telling them what to do (President Obama) was a source of 8 years of intense frustration among many of the whiter parts of the country. It was simply unacceptable and voting for Trump was a way to put blacks back in their place. It's a degree of racial intolerance equivalent to how Europeans generally view Roma people and how accepted it is to have casual low key racism against them.

Simply put, white America has an enormous problem with a colored person being in any kind of position of power and will do extreme things to ensure it never happens again. Trump is in many ways a reaction to this. The white working class just goes along with it for reasons including cultural ones.

This is important because if AOC does run for President she has a lot of headwinds that will keep her from winning. If you thought having a black person telling you what to do was unconscionable for most of White America, now imagine a WOMAN OF COLOR. AOC could campaign on Donald Trump's politics and she'd lose badly just because of her race and gender. This is what America actually thinks and its rampant all over all but the bluest of states. The one saving grace AOC might have is she could probably sew up the latino vote and youth vote better than anyone else could but I don't think it would be enough to offset the white vote that would turn out in droves to vote against her.

In many ways assuming AOC doesn't get ratfucked by Pete or Kamala in the next primary, her voting results will probably mirror Hillary Clinton in 2016. The right wing media has been running into overdrive polarizing across America. I think she's extremely unpopular nationally compared to blue strongholds.
I want a President AOC more than anyone but there's shitloads of people who think she should return to bartending or shut-up and return to the kitchen (or puerto rico) and the GOP will exploit that feeling and drive up the base to counter-vote any blue wave. I don't know what can be done to overcome these base tendencies.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know how you knew that this is exactly what I need to see today for some catharsis

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

They can. Honestly I find your defeatism pathetic.

It isn't particularly defeatist to go "There is nobody who fits that criteria at the moment and they will need to start making a name for themselves pretty drat soon to have a chance."

I am not saying "give up and surrender to the olds" but running a non-old gently caress depends on there being a non old gently caress people like enough to support and every single candidate people supported was an old gently caress including the good one. You can't just magically make one appear and run them.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Kraftwerk posted:

So I work in the Chemical industry which means I do business with a lot of people in the reddest of states.
The overall impression I got from these business relationships is that a lot of the GOP voters (especially in the South) hated Obama because he was black. It's bad enough that anyone involved in business votes Republican but the idea that they had a BLACK person telling them what to do (President Obama) was a source of 8 years of intense frustration among many of the whiter parts of the country. It was simply unacceptable and voting for Trump was a way to put blacks back in their place. It's a degree of racial intolerance equivalent to how Europeans generally view Roma people and how accepted it is to have casual low key racism against them.

Simply put, white America has an enormous problem with a colored person being in any kind of position of power and will do extreme things to ensure it never happens again. Trump is in many ways a reaction to this. The white working class just goes along with it for reasons including cultural ones.

This is important because if AOC does run for President she has a lot of headwinds that will keep her from winning. If you thought having a black person telling you what to do was unconscionable for most of White America, now imagine a WOMAN OF COLOR. AOC could campaign on Donald Trump's politics and she'd lose badly just because of her race and gender. This is what America actually thinks and its rampant all over all but the bluest of states. The one saving grace AOC might have is she could probably sew up the latino vote and youth vote better than anyone else could but I don't think it would be enough to offset the white vote that would turn out in droves to vote against her.

In many ways assuming AOC doesn't get ratfucked by Pete or Kamala in the next primary, her voting results will probably mirror Hillary Clinton in 2016. The right wing media has been running into overdrive polarizing across America. I think she's extremely unpopular nationally compared to blue strongholds.
I want a President AOC more than anyone but there's shitloads of people who think she should return to bartending or shut-up and return to the kitchen (or puerto rico) and the GOP will exploit that feeling and drive up the base to counter-vote any blue wave. I don't know what can be done to overcome these base tendencies.

What are you on about. She is still a freshman congresswoman. Didn't we learn our lesson with Obama that junior politicians may not be the best route?

Just wait how she develops and we will see.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

eXXon posted:

Is Al Franken ready to be rehabilitated, or he too touchy-grabby-molesty?

I mean, the dems chucked aside #metoo the moment it inconvenienced someone they gave a drat about so probably.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I don't know how you knew that this is exactly what I need to see today for some catharsis

*hug* same

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Calling someone pathetic, especially at a vulnerable moment of feeling some understandable doom & gloom, will accomplish absolutely loving nothing.

I didn't call him pathetic I said his attitude was pathetic. Throwing pity parties has done jack poo poo for the left. We have no idea what's going to be happening two years from now. Acting like everything is hopeless because Mitch still controls the senate is just giving yourself permission to give up fighting for what you believe in.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T. Bombastus posted:

Nobody thinks a platform focused on progressive issues would sweep 100% of the elections in this country, we just know it would get better results overall than what the party is doing now.

Trying to make one of the most conservative parts of the country a bellwether for this argument is completely intellectually bankrupt.

Pretending that all you have to do is say the magic words is what's really intellectually bankrupt.

Harrison didn't win, ranked choice didn't pass in MA, California continued to treat the gig economy as slave labor. Ignore these problems at your own peril.

It is not going to be easy. Progressivism can take hold. But it's not going to be some sort of simple, magic formula.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Kraftwerk posted:

I remember when CNN arranged a moment where warren called bernie a sexist because he said as much as this lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

I didn't call him pathetic I said his attitude was pathetic. Throwing pity parties has done jack poo poo for the left. We have no idea what's going to be happening two years from now. Acting like everything is hopeless because Mitch still controls the senate is just giving yourself permission to give up fighting for what you believe in.

In January, I was inches from toxxing for Trump to get it emotionally out of the way. I expected him to win re-election. Almost every president does. A victory is a victory.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/jenhab/status/1324051722029981698?s=20

well, I knew it wasn't going to happen, but this just sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Nobody said anything about stopping fighting? Acknowledging realities of situations doesn't mean you stop fighting to improve them.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

As someone who lives in East Tennessee, one of big perks if Biden wins is I get to swim in the tears of all the Trump supporters surrounding me. Today is giving me hope that dream may come reality.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gaius Marius posted:

So instead of taking the moment to maybe help lift someone out of the darkness and encourage them to keep fighting... you just called them pathetic (don't get pedantic about calling their attitude pathetic it's irrelevant). Bravo on also not helping anything.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Pick posted:

In January, I was inches from toxxing for Trump to get it emotionally out of the way. I expected him to win re-election. Almost every president does. A victory is a victory.

That you for a very not dumb take.

Trump is going to die with the stink of loser and NYS dragging his fat rear end through the ringer for the next 10 years until he eats the one cheeseburger that finally sends him over the edge.

Yeah, polls are stupid, libs are idiots and we hosed up on the senate side but there’s an upside here.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

sausage king of Chicago posted:

Couldn’t get rid of any of the gop old poo poo guard of senators. That and the geriatric Dems are the reason why this country is a shithole

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

kronix posted:

Trump is going to die with the stink of loser and NYS dragging his fat rear end through the ringer for the next 10 years until he eats the one cheeseburger that finally sends him over the edge.

Yeah, polls are stupid, libs are idiots and we hosed up on the senate side but there’s an upside here.

Also, Biden turned out his people. Trump turned out people that no one ever expected and certainly weren't motivated by "fear of Joe Biden" (not even Republicans cited this).

This was a turnout election and we had no idea that there truly was a +7 Nazi Adjustment across the board we were secretly fighting the whole time.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Seriously, a victory is a victory. Worry about 2022 when it comes. If we win 2020, its objectively better than not winning it.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Gaius Marius posted:

For one thing I expect if Biden wins he will put together an actual national COVID plan and if that gets the virus under control and the economy can get back into real gear, his popularity would soar I guarantee it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

kronix posted:

Hate is all we have left.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

sausage king of Chicago posted:

so unless the guy from MI and one of the georgia candidates, the senate is officially gone

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

We still have to win 2020. I'm still stressing.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I just woke up, in the past 8 hours has the situation pretty much remained stable that Biden is ahead by a nose and we continue to expect the uncounted absentee ballots in major blue areas to be favorable?

Trump seems to be freaking out, which feels reassuring.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DandyLion posted:

Hate is all we have left.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
So Trump just needs to overcome an 8k vote gap in NV and he wins, right? I don't understand why people in this thread are optimistic about Biden pulling it off.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Quoting because I need to soberly remind myself of how much the general population just outright hates women

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

berserker posted:

For one thing I expect if Biden wins he will put together an actual national COVID plan and if that gets the virus under control and the economy can get back into real gear, his popularity would soar I guarantee it.

The problem is that a GOP Senate has no incentive to play along with this and every reason to sit on their hands so that they can claim Biden accomplished nothing and then just clean house in 2022.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

So Trump just needs to overcome an 8k vote gap in NV and he wins, right? I don't understand why people in this thread are optimistic about Biden pulling it off.

The only votes left to count in NV are mail in ballots (heavily D), and most of them are from Clark County (heavily D).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Hope is dangerous. Hope is a lie.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Its not just NV he needs. Biden can pull out PA with 1 million + votes still to be counted, and 300kish votes in Atlanta to count.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't particularly defeatist to go "There is nobody who fits that criteria at the moment and they will need to start making a name for themselves pretty drat soon to have a chance."

You’re right. We really need to present a candidate with a solid national pedigree, just like the *checks notes* 2004 DNC speaker.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Quoting because I need to soberly remind myself of how much the general population just outright hates women

There are millions and millions of women who hate women. From a purely objective standpoint you gotta hand it to our oligarch/autocrat overlords for engineering a perfect system to keep the proles fighting each other instead of taking back what was stolen from them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

No, not even close.

Among other things PA is probably not going to be counted until Friday.

Baronash posted:

You’re right. We really need to present a candidate with a solid national pedigree, just like the *checks notes* 2004 DNC speaker.

Who was, again, one of the most incredibly charismatic speakers to run for president in a very long time. People expected him to run from that moment.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Apparently most of the outstanding votes are coming from Clark County which is Vegas, and also consist of about 70% of the population of Nevada. That area is pretty blue and the gap is expected to widen, not shorten.

At least that's the theory. We shall see.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

We still have to win 2020. I'm still stressing.
Take advice from Samus, posting friend. :comfysamus:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Because of the votes left to count have to split in a shocking manner for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

berserker posted:

If it requires the Senate, it's not going to happen. Now the Republicans can blame Biden for covid getting worse while they make covid worse.

They will not confirm any of his nominees for anything; not his cabinet, not his executive agencies.

They wont approve policies, they will just whine about the debt and demand medicare and social security be cut before they agree to cover covid defense.