Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Doc Hawkins posted:

i thought they did. wasn't the prop just the text of a bill that had been passed by the legislature and signed by the governor? that's why it seemed weird and compromised. then lobbyists did something I still don't understand to put it on the ballot instead.

we do not live in a democracy.
Its this. 25 was verbatim SB10 bill passed by legislature and signed into law back in 2018. It was legislatures attempt to kill cash bail and bail bond punted it to a referendum. Given the election results of the other propositions, you know the reason it didn't pass was because "we want to lock up those roaming urban feral no good criminals and keep them out of suburbs! NO! cash bail is good dont do the crime if you cant pay the time!" and not for good reasons. I absolutely guarantee cash bail is still going to be a thing in 5 years still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Xaris posted:

Its this. 25 was verbatim SB10 bill passed by legislature and signed into law back in 2018. It was legislatures attempt to kill cash bail and bail bond punted it to a referendum. Given the election results of the other propositions, you know the reason it didn't pass was because "we want to lock up those roaming urban feral no good criminals and keep them out of suburbs! NO! cash bail is good dont do the crime if you cant pay the time!" and not for good reasons. I absolutely guarantee cash bail is still going to be a thing in 5 years still

I'm not sure that's the conclusion I'd come to. Prop 20, which was the "tough on crime" prop this time around, got loving crushed so I think Prop 25 failing to pass is probably at least partly by not having unified support behind it on the left.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FWIW the Prop 15 results haven't been called yet, it's up 1.7% with only 72% of total votes in. Entirely possible it flips.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

if 15 passes i intend to, as they say, absolutely poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sydin posted:

FWIW the Prop 15 results haven't been called yet, it's up 1.7% with only 72% of total votes in. Entirely possible it flips.

nah Sec State is reporting everything is in besides San Joaquin County

its dead jim

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dang, google lied to me. poo poo sucks, this state is insanely brokebrained about taxes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eSporks posted:

Same.

I'm watching the Byrne Kennedy race. NYT doesn't show placer mail in votes yet, but it's a county she's leading.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-california-house-district-4.html

Motherfucker. McClintock was going down in flames last night.

I want Kevin "REOPEN EVERYTHING NOW" Kiley to get the boot too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So Placer is showing 100% reporting: https://www.placerelections.com/election-night-results/

Does that necessarily mean votes are still being counted, or handed over to be counted? Does that include mail-ins/dropoffs? My wife and I's ballots are still uncounted.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So Placer is showing 100% reporting: https://www.placerelections.com/election-night-results/

Does that necessarily mean votes are still being counted, or handed over to be counted? Does that include mail-ins/dropoffs? My wife and I's ballots are still uncounted.
100% reporting just means the election-day polling places. Mail-in ballots are entirely separate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Our local elections were a mixed bag, Tonkel got soundly defeated by Davis but Cohen tossed out Diep, which gives the pro labor side of our city council a razor thin majority. Not the resounding victory I'd hoped for but it does mean Liccardo's cronies can (hopefully) no longer give him a blank check.

Cortese also looks like he beat Ravel which is awesome.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/faizsays/status/1323997593098100736

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmao

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Xaris posted:

Yeah, Bonta (the assemblyperson behind it) explained 25 succeeding as a signal to the legislature that they should not try to end cash bail going forward, so it's presumably here to stay at the state level unless someone manages to write a perfectly-crafted prop that ends it instead. That's an overly-complex thing for voters to wrap their heads around, but it seems that the advocacy groups arguing against it should have stated as much rather than their apparent messaging that it'd enshrine a flawed algorithm as forever law that couldn't be adjusted or amended in the future.

The apparent no on 15 but yes on 19 is pretty :smith: laffo. The SOS partial reporting thing is confusing (I assume not all mail-ins are actually in yet), but given that 15 has been consistently down, even by a relatively small margin, I'm not hopeful for some last-minute miracle there.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm in the same boat. Just called the county elections office and spoke to a sweet lady. The 100% is just the in person voting. They are still going through some of absentee ballots, especially ones that were just delivered to the election office today. They said that as of right now, they are estimate they have 75% of the vote. She also said that ballot trax does occasionally lag behind, so not to be too worried.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

eSporks posted:

Same.

I'm watching the Byrne Kennedy race. NYT doesn't show placer mail in votes yet, but it's a county she's leading.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-california-house-district-4.html

It's really loving bizarre that you both spent so much time and money having and raising children and yet you detest them so much you don't want them to participate in society/civic duties. I really hope that enjoy your upcoming estrangement from your children when they realize how little respect you have for them, their autonomy and their future. The prop was to allow kids who would be 18 by the General to vote in the Primary, it's loving nothing and the fact that they can't already is dumb as gently caress.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
jesus christ california really hosed up the propositions. as usual. loving idiots. like almost total failure. at least nithya is winning CD 4 appears

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I have 3 teenagers in my house. gently caress letting any of them vote.

I voted for it on the assumption that the idiot teen population and the teen population motivated enough to actually go vote are mostly nonoverlapping.

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm not sure that's the conclusion I'd come to. Prop 20, which was the "tough on crime" prop this time around, got loving crushed so I think Prop 25 failing to pass is probably at least partly by not having unified support behind it on the left.

I doubt the more-left version of no cash bail can pass either legislature or a referendum though. Getting something not-racist like an explicit ban on considering criminal history seems unlikely. Probably bail reform is dead legislatively and will have to be done by advocating for administrative rule changes per-DA and court system.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eSporks posted:

I'm in the same boat. Just called the county elections office and spoke to a sweet lady. The 100% is just the in person voting. They are still going through some of absentee ballots, especially ones that were just delivered to the election office today. They said that as of right now, they are estimate they have 75% of the vote. She also said that ballot trax does occasionally lag behind, so not to be too worried.

Excellent. Thank you. I'm shocked you actually got through.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

It's really loving bizarre that you both spent so much time and money having and raising children and yet you detest them so much you don't want them to participate in society/civic duties. I really hope that enjoy your upcoming estrangement from your children when they realize how little respect you have for them, their autonomy and their future. The prop was to allow kids who would be 18 by the General to vote in the Primary, it's loving nothing and the fact that they can't already is dumb as gently caress.
lol, im #kidfree, either you replied to the wrong person or misunderstood my "same." I'm all for 17 year olds voting in the primary, it just makes sense from a logic standpoint. The "same" was just about my placer county mail in vote not being counted yet.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Smythe posted:

jesus christ california really hosed up the propositions. as usual. loving idiots. like almost total failure. at least nithya is winning CD 4 appears

This seems to be the default, since typically the most odious props have massive funding by whatever industry is trying to get around regulation. I assume people thought the sad car drivers were actually uber drivers begging to keep their job rather than actors in a commercial and did not expect anything different.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sydin posted:

https://calmatters.org/politics/california-election-2020/2020/11/california-election-results-2020/

Nothing set in stone yet obviously but if these results held it would be a decidedly mixed bag of results.

What do you know, the voting followed the money on real estate, gig workers, dialysis and the bond industry.

I’m going to continue loling that “left” organizations couldn’t all get behind ending cash bail and sided with cops and the bail industry.

Hopefully I’m out of this lovely state and country by 2024

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Still Dismal posted:

Props I feel reasonably confident making educated guesses on:

15: (knock on wood) squeaks by I think, polling is decent and democrat turnout will hopefully be high, Newsom is pretty popular rn and he endorsed it,

16:probably not, affirmative action has a hard time succeeding at the ballot box still, polling is bad

19: probably yes, anything that's good for olds usually passes, some positive polling

22: ugggghhh fuuuuucccckkkkkk, probably yes

Looks like I got 3/4 right, but gently caress was I really hoping for 15 to pass.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

eSporks posted:

lol, im #kidfree, either you replied to the wrong person or misunderstood my "same." I'm all for 17 year olds voting in the primary, it just makes sense from a logic standpoint. The "same" was just about my placer county mail in vote not being counted yet.

ah, you said "same" so I thought you were saying you also lived with teenagers. Comment is directed to the person you were replying to, then.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Glumslinger posted:

Even this thread was evenly split over 25 because it was just that poorly written. It would have been nice to kill the bail industry right now, but 25 wasn't going to properly address the underlying problems, and just entrench them in a different manner

Sort of like progressives have this constant problem of making the perfect the enemy of the tolerable every single time. You can not tell me a potentially broken, corruptible government-run system is not preferable to a definitively broken system that's making someone undeservedly rich.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Craptacular! posted:

Sort of like progressives have this constant problem of making the perfect the enemy of the tolerable every single time. You can not tell me a potentially broken, corruptible government-run system is not preferable to a definitively broken system that's making someone undeservedly rich.
regardless of all the other problems,. i think the bigger issue leftists should have is accepting the notion that it's 100% A-OK for corporations and rich people with lots of money to destroy a bill signed into law that they don't like. like prop 25/sb10 was signed into law, bail bonds spent $$ getting it removed from law, that's a-okay. AB5 was signed into law, uber spent $$$ getting it removed from law, not ok.

the entire structure of money and politics needs to be demolished and carving out exceptions one way or another is stupid as gently caress. like yes SB10 sucked, but approving of a process where industries can just overturn anything they dont' like is hideously insanely evil and bad and people should reject that trash. legislature isn't going to pass anything magically better that wont also just get immediately overturned by money once again and the messaging received is pretty blatant that "dont try this again the people have spoken". and honestly the one piece of SB10 that required virtually all misdemeanors to be immediately released would have brought massive relief to a lot of poor people immediately, and incase you don't know a lot of misdemeanor bail starts at $2,000 minimum in many places like Fresno and such.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 4, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
If last night isn’t convincing evidence to write off electoralism I don’t know what is

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
What the hell was the no on 15 messaging and how did that messaging succeed in defeating it though? Blatant lying that it's the same as other prop 13 repeals and would push grandma onto the streets, and people just believed it?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

What the hell was the no on 15 messaging and how did that messaging succeed in defeating it though? Blatant lying that it's the same as other prop 13 repeals and would push grandma onto the streets, and people just believed it?

Yeah pretty much.

Literally every single conversation I ever had about it was somebody who has a house the don't want to pay modern taxation on freaking out.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Home and property owners in CA have a Pavolvian negative response to anything regarding property taxes. Same as it ever was. And it's one of the reasons CA is hosed indefinitely.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Look's like I can still buy in California. Thx you voters

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Enigma89 posted:

I'm glad a bunch of people who could barely afford their apartment were able to help you out, wealthy landlord. I'm sure you'll keep your rents below market rate as a thank you.

Congratulations on your technically legal loophole property sale and 1960's taxes.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

Get hosed.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is it just the somewhat unpartisan nature of the propositions that makes them such crapshoots (ignoring the ones with 200m in ad money)? I was trying to figure out why the felon voting was so successful when others like teen voting seemed similar enough and the only thing I could think of that since Democrats were pushing that in Florida, it made it a partisan issue where people could know where "their team" stood on the issue?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Guessing difference is from the titles: "Restores Right to Vote After Completion of Prison Term" vs "Amends California Constitution to Permit 17-Year-Olds to Vote in Primary and Special Elections if They Will Turn 18 by the Next General Election and be Otherwise Eligible to Vote"

17 is pithier, sounds less complicated, and doesn't highlight that it's a constitutional amendment (both are). I can imagine someone skimming down a list checking Yes on 17 but just defaulting to No on 18

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Based on conversations with people I'd imagine people not knowing what a primary election is. People think "primary" means the big one, president. Voters probably thought it would lower the voting age.

I know older Democrats are scared to death of Bernie Sanders too. They might be worried that opening up the primaries would have the horrifying effect of making them competitive.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Pain of Mind posted:

Is it just the somewhat unpartisan nature of the propositions that makes them such crapshoots (ignoring the ones with 200m in ad money)? I was trying to figure out why the felon voting was so successful when others like teen voting seemed similar enough and the only thing I could think of that since Democrats were pushing that in Florida, it made it a partisan issue where people could know where "their team" stood on the issue?

The only conversation being had on these props in the public sphere is happening with money. A bunch of people skimming something with confusing wording once and then making up their mind on the spot and voting is a crapshoot.

Everything matters exactly as much as it has advertisements and agencies paying people to make it matter.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Foxfire_ posted:

Guessing difference is from the titles: "Restores Right to Vote After Completion of Prison Term" vs "Amends California Constitution to Permit 17-Year-Olds to Vote in Primary and Special Elections if They Will Turn 18 by the Next General Election and be Otherwise Eligible to Vote"

17 is pithier, sounds less complicated, and doesn't highlight that it's a constitutional amendment (both are). I can imagine someone skimming down a list checking Yes on 17 but just defaulting to No on 18

title does matter. for example, when repblicans put on the ballot a prop to undo the gas tax and ban gas taxes forever, xavier bacerra pulled a power move and renamed it to "amend constitution to destroy all roads, make more potholes, defund all elementary schools and kick children to the curb and turn cul-de-sacs into garbage dumps filled with crime proposition" and republicans threw a shitfit trying to challenge him renaming it, and of course it failed spectacularly; however ,with the right wording, it absolutely would have passed because people paying more on gas isn't popular.

but yes also money makes a big difference. for example the one prop that was supposed to limit Drug Prices to what the VA charges should have been a loving slamdunk but failed like 30/70 lmao. anyways california sucks and full of lovely olde white rich boomers living up the landed gentry life multi-million homes they paid $20k for and being scared of antifa coming to do all these crimes in their cul-de-sacs while nimby-ing everything because muh traffic.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

mA posted:

To all my SF goons: gently caress SCOTT WEINER
Anyways, so sad about 15 and 22 :(

At least Prop E passed undoing Weiner's cop hiring mandate.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

What a depressing loving election :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My Facebook memories reminded me of that one time we helped elect the first black president and also banned gay marriage in the same election. That was fun.