Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Republicans posted:

Barring some surprise out of Nevada it's over, Trump lost.

WHAT THE gently caress

NO loving WAY

NO loving WAY

please don’t be loving with me my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You guys have to loving realize that funny poo poo is about to happens after this.

Trump resigns, pence pardons trump from NY cases and lives his days out in a faux oval office outside of Moscow.

Ah yes, the federal pardon for state crimes

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You guys have to loving realize that funny poo poo is about to happens after this.

Trump resigns, pence pardons trump from NY cases and lives his days out in a faux oval office outside of Moscow.

Pardons from state cases are no more a thing now than they were when this was first suggested a billion years ago in 2019

Now, whether Trump knows that is a whole other ballgame

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tehinternet posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

NO loving WAY

NO loving WAY

Biden is ahead in MI and it’ll be called soon I suspect. If NV holds, it’ll be 270.

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Pardons don’t affect state charges this has been repeated over and over

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

tehinternet posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

NO loving WAY

NO loving WAY

Nope, the Red Mirage was very real and we won the great lakes states back, will probably in Pennsylvania and might even win Georgia.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Trump can just pardon himself, it's never been tested but the courts haven't put a lot of limits on the President's pardon power. I'm guessing there's already a piece of paper in his lawyer's office signed by Trump pardoning him for all crimes, they'll just only reveal it publicly if they need to.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Are ya winnin, centrists?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arizona has literally been called by two major news agencies

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

DynamicSloth posted:

Trump can just pardon himself, it's never been tested but the courts haven't put a lot of limits on the President's pardon power.

He can't pardon himself from state crimes. The second he's out of office the New York DA is coming for his rear end.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

He can't pardon himself from state crimes. The second he's out of office the New York DA is coming for his rear end.

No, but then neither can Mike Pence after Trump resigns, which was the premise.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I will not hope. It's not over until its over.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Checkmate. Trump's rear end is way to big for any single state DA to handle....

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Oh holy poo poo, it was so good that I forgot about the Lincoln Project completely. Just vanished out of my mind in all this mess when I should be angry/impressed at their grifting. I was however thinking that after this election I'm straight up unfollowing them and all the smug leftist people on Twitter. Turns out doing nothing but taking witty snide little pot-shots at Trump isn't actually helpful in any way and might be part of the reason CHUDs are so empowered, because it feeds into their persecution complex! Like what the hell was I doing following Jeff Tiedrich, what's he actually do?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rea posted:

Presidential pardons don't extend to state crimes.

Has someone told trump this???????

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Isn't Kyrsten Sinema terrible though? Like a center-right democrat at best?

Image trumps policy, the distinction you’re making is 100% correct but would make the eyes of 80% of voters glaze over

Jigsaw posted:

people go crazy for bravado/machismo/swagger. dems' whole thing is being timid and meek and talking about compromise, except when obama was confident and cool and he won handily (despite the compromise talk). toxic masculinity fucks us again

Yeah, ppl here forget that there’s a large number of Democrats that are legit horny for the Obamas and treat them like the modern equivalent of the Kennedys’ Camelot.

Obama’s the closest thing to the US electing Denzel Washington or George Clooney president to a large number of thirsty voters

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
President Biden sternly squinting at the NY prosecutors as they build their case.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Can the New York DA actually come for him unless he sets foot in NY?

(not American, sorry)

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

InfiniteZero posted:

Can the New York DA actually come for him unless he sets foot in NY?

(not American, sorry)

Yes, states rarely fight interstate extraditions seriously. Trumps going to have to shack up in Russia if he really wants to get away.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

highme posted:

I'm sorry your feelings are so fragile. "Otherwise kind, affable, generous" sexists and racists are still sexists and racists. I don't give any fucks about the otherwise.

Grandstand all you want, doesn't mean it's good politics. D&D has has been throwing a fit about Trump's racism/sexism for the past 4 years and somehow he ended up with the most minority support since Nixon. Doesn't seem like they're really buying what liberals are selling at the moment.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I wonder how much the stink of a president defecting to Moscow would impact his cult of personality.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

fadam posted:

Maybe I’m just a worry wart, but I still have a bad feeling something fucky is going to happen in Nevada or Arizona.

If there's anything I know about being a voter here in AZ, it's that we run our elections pretty well. Aside from the last few elections where the polling stations were greatly reduced (thanks to a Republican SoS and County Recorder at the time), ballot counting and mail-in ballots have always gone smoothly here. I don't expect anything strange out of AZ, but there is always the chance that the balance of votes simply changes as more votes come out. It's not very likely though at this point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I was however thinking that after this election I'm straight up unfollowing them and all the smug leftist people on Twitter. Turns out doing nothing but taking witty snide little pot-shots at Trump isn't actually helpful in any way and might be part of the reason CHUDs are so empowered, because it feeds into their persecution complex! Like what the hell was I doing following Jeff Tiedrich, what's he actually do?

Glad someone here is learning. If every person posting on twitter was gone tomorrow the world would be an infinitely better place.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

nate fisher posted:

AZ is going to be a tight one and I am a slightly worried (yes I know it has been called). Biden is up by 94K with this note from the NYT: According to turnout estimates, around 310,000 votes remain in counties won by Trump in 2016. Clinton 2016 counties have around 70,000 votes left to report. 32m ago.

Trump won Maricopa county four years ago, and it's by far the largest county in AZ, and Trump isn't winning it this time, and he's extra not-winning mail ballots in it. The NYT note is decontextualized at best, disingenuous at worst.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Push El Burrito posted:

President Biden sternly squinting at the NY prosecutors as they build their case.

Remember when Pence when to the DMZ and squinted at North Korea and the media jizzed their pants?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

tehinternet posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

NO loving WAY

NO loving WAY

It sounds to me like the "if there are no surprises" is the key. It's always possible that Trump ends up getting enough of the straggling mail-ins or provisionals or whatever. The states left (NV and AZ especially I think) may take a few more days to get a finalized count.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Gaius Marius posted:

Glad someone here is learning. If every person posting on twitter was gone tomorrow the world would be an infinitely better place.

There are certainly formal constraints of Twitter as a medium that make it susceptible to misinformation and out-of-context posting but there are very good posters on there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have to think MI gets called at any time

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Insurrectum posted:

I wonder how much the stink of a president defecting to Moscow would impact his cult of personality.

CHUDs in North Dakota elected a Trump Republican who died of COVID last month to the house last night, so don't assume that there's much that can break their loyalty.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

This may be a little too c-spam for D&D but lol if Trump were to pull out a win and then keels over to a heart attack on inauguration night.

InfiniteZero posted:

CHUDs in North Dakota elected a Trump Republican who died of COVID last month to the house last night, so don't assume that there's much that can break their loyalty.

They're voting for the party as much as the candidate. If the Republican candidate dies its not like they'll vote democrat instead. They'll vote for the dead guy and wait for his Republican replacement. That doesn't seem that controversial in this case.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 4, 2020

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

FWIW MyBookie has Trump at +175 (betting a hundred bucks nets you an extra $175) and Biden at a quickly dwindling -290 (you have to bet $290 to earn $100).

I'm still concerned about Nevada, but there's nothing anyone can do about it until the results come in, and I think people have made compelling cases for why Biden is favoured. Would have been nice to not have it come down to the wire like this.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
twitter is awesome but i can't imagine using it only to follow politics. i follow a ton of authors, esp POC authors, i've learned a poo poo ton more about indigenous issues (and I consider myself reasonably well-informed there), etc., etc. i super recommend taking advantage of twitter's lists function and classifying people you follow because it makes for a much better experience. tired of politics, turn off that list, etc.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jack McCoy is coming back?!

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
If Twitter died I'd have to go back to Tumblr for my art because I am too old for Instagram.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Petey posted:

There are certainly formal constraints of Twitter as a medium that make it susceptible to misinformation and out-of-context posting but there are very good posters on there.

I'm sure there's some really thoughtful and concise graffiti on dumpsters out there, doesn't mean it's not on a dumpster.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love this video of Bernie basicallllyyy calling it play by play a week ago. I mean it's not a huge leap to get there, but drat it's perfect.

https://twitter.com/hannahhycho/status/1323851835199811587

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have to think MI gets called at any time

I do wonder what's taking so long, he's up by more in both percentage gap and absolute number of votes compared to WI which has already been called. Maybe they're just waiting for the MI Sec of State to say "all the votes are counted"

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Petey posted:

There are certainly formal constraints of Twitter as a medium that make it susceptible to misinformation and out-of-context posting ...

Yes

Petey posted:

... but there are very good posters on there.

Hard disagree

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if you seriously believe this after the horrifying shifts in voter demographics last night you're completely loving delusional. dems have torpedoed their most reliable voter blocks in order to win some temporary votes from old white people who will go right back to voting for republicans once trump is out of office. they aren't winning poo poo in 2022.

Again, the ACA is hugely popular. Red state voters voted to adopt the medicare expansions that their state legislatures didn't want.

Tens of millions of people losing healthcare coverage isn't going to be ignored. A lot of voters may not blame Trump for COVID, but Trump and the Republican Senators who will be up in 2022 are directly responsible for people losing their healthcare. It is not like it just randomly gets struck down out of nowhere.

Healthcare messaging worked. In 2018 it was the biggest issue by far, and voters overwhelmingly backed the Democrats on that issue.

Something people don't get in this thread - a lot of voters voted against the Democrats on issues that are important to them. No one thinks they are going to lose their healthcare until it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

berserker posted:

I do wonder what's taking so long, he's up by more in both percentage gap and absolute number of votes compared to WI which has already been called. Maybe they're just waiting for the MI Sec of State to say "all the votes are counted"

I have to imagine all of the SoS's right now are trying to be super secret triple double accurate. Like... nobody wants to be the one to gently caress this up.