Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

cenotaph posted:

I don't know that Matt is right that Biden pulled in Republicans. I thought the numbers were saying he did worse than Clinton.

By all early indications you are correct and matt isnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

In which case I question any lines of thought he draws from there, so I stopped watching it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

cenotaph posted:

I don't know that Matt is right that Biden pulled in Republicans. I thought the numbers were saying he did worse than Clinton.

Biden pulled in white men, maybe they are independents.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

It's kind of an arbitrary distinction. Trump did better than ever with Republicans, but if a bunch of former Republicans said they're independent and went biden...

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cenotaph posted:

In which case I question any lines of thought he draws from there, so I stopped watching it.

as I draw breath, here is what I have to say about collaborating with the enemy,

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Halloween Jack posted:

I think any passion Joe had for trains will vanish as soon as he stops riding them. Possibly because he just won't remember ever having taken the train.

we just need to get him a presidential train car, he’d love it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mastershakeman posted:

It's kind of an arbitrary distinction. Trump did better than ever with Republicans, but if a bunch of former Republicans said they're independent and went biden...

Yeah all the talk of "the republican vote" seems to entirely not talk about how many people who would have been republicans 8 years ago call themselves that now. Im not trying to make any sort of point here, just want to know the facts

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

they call them Virgil Texas lmao look at who wants that vote

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

it wouldn't be a matt prediction without being entirely disproven down the line but we love him anyway

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I'm a bit late but was pretty astonished at what a zero Mark Paul was on the latest free episode of The Bruenigs, the debate on the merits of the job guarantee. I find Matt's perspective extremely convincing. He's really sharpened up his argument over time and imo is really good at presenting it. Mark just had no response, only handwaving, vague platitudes, and stock answers. Really bad look and massive L for Data for Progress, gently caress those guys.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

I'm a bit late but was pretty astonished at what a zero Mark Paul was on the latest free episode of The Bruenigs, the debate on the merits of the job guarantee. I find Matt's perspective extremely convincing. He's really sharpened up his argument over time and imo is really good at presenting it. Mark just had no response, only handwaving, vague platitudes, and stock answers. Really bad look and massive L for Data for Progress, gently caress those guys.

Every time he started talking about the Noble Dignity of work I dismissed him more. Honestly Matt should have pushed harder on "all of this job guarantee work should be a volunteer program entirely divorced from unemployment insurance and welfare programs"

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Matt's power and stature are growing with every day that passes. The poor Chapo election stream consisted of a huge, tumescent Matt, with Will and the rest of the gang trying to fit in around the edges. He's becoming too powerful to contain.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Often Abbreviated posted:

Matt's power and stature are growing with every day that passes. The poor Chapo election stream consisted of a huge, tumescent Matt, with Will and the rest of the gang trying to fit in around the edges. He's becoming too powerful to contain.

it's like Tetsuo at the end of Akira, but he transform into a gigantic Large Son.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's like Tetsuo at the end of Tetsuo.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
matt's right that biden managed to pull the white suburbanites from trump and it was enough to beat him with the relatively lower turnout of other demographics (i couldn't find a source for this, but i vaguely remember it coming out during the election night). idk if the conclusion he draws is right though. if trump hadn't killed 200k people with terrible covid response or sent out another trump cheque, he would have won imo.

similarly w/ bernie's and corbyn's loss, the media + obama's last minute play + wrecker warren is what did him in (media + brexit + ANTISEMITISM in corbyn's case).

he uses trump doing well with latinos as example of politics' disconnect from material reality, but... biden didn't offer them any material differences so how does that prove the thesis that appealing to material reality is impossible and cultural signifers override all?

i didn't listen to the whole thing so i could be missing the point/argument entirely. i've never been a regular cushvlog watcher tho and this didn't make me want to start.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Varinn posted:

'posting is the only moral political act' being said from behind some lovely overpriced gaming computer iirc. also that everyone else is a white supremacist

u forgot the vr headset & millionaire wife

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
that said i love taintrunner. hes like a floor whip lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

we just need to get him a presidential train car, he’d love it

all aboard amerika!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

It's like Tetsuo at the end of Tetsuo.

lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

crepeface posted:

similarly w/ bernie's and corbyn's loss, the media + obama's last minute play + wrecker warren is what did him in (media + brexit + ANTISEMITISM in corbyn's case).
This was my reaction initially as well. But I think what he’s saying is those immediate causes of Bernie and Corbyn failure were simply the system doing what it must to stop them. The only way to overcome these kinds of systemic roadblocks would be if their theory of electorate expansion worked. But it didn’t work enough to overcome the system.

Similarly Biden didn’t offer material improvement because he can’t. Anyone capable of acquiring the Dem nomination now is structurally incapable of offering material change.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 09:48 on Nov 5, 2020

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Matt's China turn reminds me of something Mark Blythe said on his podcast a while ago, that the CCP overdelivers on plans because it gives them legitimacy. The midwestern oaf is dead on about ruling elites in the west being too delusional to understand what's going on and the Chinese elites being more self-aware of their role I feel.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Who is this

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Grevling posted:

Matt's China turn reminds me of something Mark Blythe said on his podcast a while ago, that the CCP overdelivers on plans because it gives them legitimacy. The midwestern oaf is dead on about ruling elites in the west being too delusional to understand what's going on and the Chinese elites being more self-aware of their role I feel.

yep. it's ruin by success, the failsons and faildaughters that rule us no longer really fear us, and if you were them, why would you?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

err posted:

Who is this

turn off your monitor

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

err posted:

Who is this

That's area man Matt Christman sans beard

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Grevling posted:

yes

just watched matts last stream, extremely good A+ probably the best

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

bawfuls posted:

This was my reaction initially as well. But I think what he’s saying is those immediate causes of Bernie and Corbyn failure were simply the system doing what it must to stop them. The only way to overcome these kinds of systemic roadblocks would be if their theory of electorate expansion worked. But it didn’t work enough to overcome the system.

Similarly Biden didn’t offer material improvement because he can’t. Anyone capable of acquiring the Dem nomination now is structurally incapable of offering material change.

i thought his point was that offering material improvement can never work and his evidence is bernie/corbyn. idk if the system's immune response is omnipotent though. the system is breaking down, msm is dying and new media is still ascendant if there ever is a next time.

biden didn't offer material improvement, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have worked if he did (florida passing $15 min wage even as they chose trump). you can't use the general election as evidence of that. i'm also hearing that trump actually did better than last time with suburbian republicans, not worse?

idk, i guess i'll go back and listen to the full thing properly since everyone seems to love this one.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

crepeface posted:

i thought his point was that offering material improvement can never work and his evidence is bernie/corbyn. idk if the system's immune response is omnipotent though. the system is breaking down, msm is dying and new media is still ascendant if there ever is a next time.

biden didn't offer material improvement, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have worked if he did (florida passing $15 min wage even as they chose trump). you can't use the general election as evidence of that. i'm also hearing that trump actually did better than last time with suburbian republicans, not worse?

idk, i guess i'll go back and listen to the full thing properly since everyone seems to love this one.

He said that even when you say you will work for real material change, people just won't believe you can actually change things because of their lived experience.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

He said that even when you say you will work for real material change, people just won't believe you can actually change things because of their lived experience.

totally tracks for me, i get it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Matt said something to the line of pollsters not really engaging with politics and this is something i've thought about sometimes but what is engaging with politics? Aside from explicit action like the BLM protests the idea of political engagement feels, i dunno, distant? like most people just go to work hoping to buy a house or whatever, maybe they donate, maybe they go to a march, there's something to being complacent already being political in itself but I dunno, maybe this just me exculpating myself

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
after listetning to the current cumtown: rip to stav, taken down by the secret service

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

after listetning to the current cumtown: rip to stav, taken down by the secret service

well that's enough hype for me to switch over now

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
just lol if you think pollsters are "out of touch" and not simply that polls are a part of the political machine and as ideological as any other

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

thotsky posted:

just lol if you think pollsters are "out of touch" and not simply that polls are a part of the political machine and as ideological as any other

I dont think those things are mutually exclusive

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

AnEdgelord posted:

I dont think those things are mutually exclusive
it's a positive feedback loop

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

well that's enough hype for me to switch over now

it was just an offhand quip about sniping supreme court justices toward the end of the episode. nick's biden impression is funnier than e1

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone listened to the Albert Parsons episode of the Dollop yet? I have high hopes for this if it talks about Lucy Parsons too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Matt is fundamentally right about all of this, if this system is not interrupted then the it can only result in barbaric techofuedalism and the only possible things that can interrupt it right now are a massive upsurge from the bottom of society (and I do mean the real bottom not college kids slumming it) or a foreign power aka China.