Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nibble posted:

This isn’t really a hard problem to solve if they wanted to, though.

Add a rule that defines a subset of keywords to work with these abilities. Call them “combat keywords” or something.

Then Akroma just says your creatures get +1/+1 for each combat keyword they have (plus partner), and the list in the rule can change to include future keywords where the card text can’t.

That was my first thought but lol if they try to change it after the fact. If they put reminder text on a card in a core set, it's gonna be really confusing later on when the oracle text says something completely different. I bet it's something the design team might feel constrained by.

It's such a unique, specific, infrequent problem that it's probably not worth hand-wringing about anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crackbone posted:

That Akroma is a just a really sloppy design. It's not that exciting of an ability and it's a mess to put into legible rules.

I agree. It's also a 7 mana creature that dies to removal so who cares anyway lmao

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The assasin thing that gives monarch was the hot tech in MBC for 3 the 3 months or so before it stopped being a deck. I still play the hell out of it, because it feels like the best tier 2 deck, and has action against all kinds of things, it's just slower than slow tron at this point, gets 0 cards and ridiculously strong commons that needed banning kept coming out. Give us deathrite shaman wotc. Mono black, lose the life gain ability, wow now it's a fair card in a set like this.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 5, 2020

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If wotc would either unban hymn or reprint stupor downshifted to common, mbc would be a real deck again

But they won't because it's not tron or mono blue

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'd take sinkhole. It's not my fault the most unfair thing in the format is playing lands.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nibble posted:

Add a rule that defines a subset of keywords to work with these abilities. Call them “combat keywords” or something.

Then Akroma just says your creatures get +1/+1 for each combat keyword they have (plus partner), and the list in the rule can change to include future keywords where the card text can’t.

I mean they already have a master list of every subtype in the game they could have one for whatever akroma is supposed to pump and then we'd only be asking if a creature with multiple instances of bushido stack withy this ability

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s wild how much damage control Gavin Verhey & Ari Nieh are trying to do for Commander Legends, but the white cards we’ve seen are an order of magnitude worse than the other 4 colors so far and that white Mythic sword that equips for FOUR (4!) and conditionally makes 1 Angel a turn is easily the worst Mythic of the set.

https://twitter.com/gavinverhey/status/1323873246995910656?s=21

https://twitter.com/sixthcomma/status/1324061419059486729?s=21

https://twitter.com/sixthcomma/status/1324034093047259138?s=21

I guess the idea is that Commander Legends was a larger than normal team with more input, so the design has been going on for a really long time and the white cards were all designed seemingly before the fever pitch of “white can’t do anything” had hit its current crescendo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
"damage control"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Glad to finally find out why Standard was so poorly developed the past year, it was that they needed the entire team to try to make white not poo poo in commander.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sometimes this thread starts jumping at shadows out of the blue in a way i just fundamentally don't understand where it's coming from and at this point I just always start assuming it's from the sections of the internet I intentionally avoid

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Man, Gavin is either being groomed to be the new maro, or is trying to force it and if you thought maro couldn’t get worse, try adding smilies after every other sentence.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

Glad to finally find out why Standard was so poorly developed the past year, it was that they needed the entire team to try to make white not poo poo in commander.

Narrator: "White is still poo poo in Commander".

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

meanolmrcloud posted:

Man, Gavin is either being groomed to be the new maro, or is trying to force it and if you thought maro couldn’t get worse, try adding smilies after every other sentence.

I think he's been the heir apparent for a while now, though it's probably more like he's getting the job because of his attitude than faking the attitude angling for the job.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He would be a Kaufman level genius if that were the case.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

meanolmrcloud posted:

see this is what I'm talking about

everyone I've seen talk about maro likes him a bunch and thinks highly of him despite the position he's in to the point where I've used him in conversations about the harassment devs in other places get, and here's someone casually talking about how much they think everyone hate him

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Its both for me. He genuinely has a passion for good design and sharing his love of magic with the world, be he is also a corny motherfucker and obtuse in the extreme about corporate poo poo in a way that always reminds you hes gonna put wotc's needs above the games.

Hes a lot like Russell Wilson honestly

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's one of those things you discover as you get into the real working world. You'll go a lot further being a competent person who is really easy to work with than you will being some super-talented genius in your field who sucks poo poo to be around every day.

There are certainly people who defy that, and fields where it's more accepted, but by and large that isn't going to be you.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What happened to the fetch reprints that were supposed to happen?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Next year.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Weren't they included in the box toppers for paper zendikar?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

MH2.
Which is either going to be half-masters set to make them available or they mean that the fetches will be box topper bullshit.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Shrecknet posted:

Its both for me. He genuinely has a passion for good design and sharing his love of magic with the world, be he is also a corny motherfucker and obtuse in the extreme about corporate poo poo in a way that always reminds you hes gonna put wotc's needs above the games.

Hes a lot like Russell Wilson honestly

Yea, my initial couple of years interfacing with maros content gave me an appreciation for his passion and his level of ability, which are both generally high. After a decade, those things are still true, but he has to pump out corporate friendly, newcomer-centric surface level content which takes away the magic of a public facing, communicative insider.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nibble posted:

Considering how infrequently they use the ability this seems more trouble than it's worth, they'd have to have reminder text listing the combat keywords, or reminder text that points to the section of the comprehensive rules by number.

I think that's why they have the big list more than anything. Any card that uses the big list has their effect defined by the big list so trimming down the rules text wouldn't do much more anyway, like what Akroma is already 4 keywords and pumps the team unreasonably based on what they have, what else does she need to do? The ones that get the keywords in the big list, well, that's their thing, getting a shitton of keywords.

Only ten cards use this big list of keywords, and it's a 6/4 split of standard legal/commander product. None are standard-legal at the moment, last one was Majestic Myriarch in HOU. It's not really a problem that needs solving.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Maros always stayed within the boundaries of what corporate says is ok and repeats the party line when there is one (ref: mythics). I'd say it's an increased number of controversial decisions from wizards corporate.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Maro is bad and using MTG to enact petty vengeance on people who wronged him literal decades ago to the detriment of the game and will forever be The Coward Mark Rosewater.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

HootTheOwl posted:

Maro is bad and using MTG to enact petty vengeance on people who wronged him literal decades ago to the detriment of the game and will forever be The Coward Mark Rosewater.

Did all his high school bullies play white in commander? This post is incomprehensible.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Mark Rosewater mainly invents new mechanics and card ideas and the problems with Magic are far too interlocking to lay at his feet.'

He is also the highest-level public-facing person in the system so he's the only person we can really complain to about Oko having a + where it'd be much better to have a - or whatever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Prof just told a story on his newest podcast about talking to Mark Rosewater at an airport for a little while and MaRo going on like a 15 minute rant about how path to exile & swords to plowshares are bad cards that break the color pie and he wishes he could get rid of them of them.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 5, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

The Prof just told a story on his newest podcast about talking to Mark Rosewater at an airport for a little while and MaRo going on like a 15 minute rant about how path to exile & swords to plowshares are bad cards that break the color pie and he wishes he could get rid of them of them.

Wasn't swords like an alpha card?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Maro would / does disown alpha so fast vis-a-vis the color pie.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
If you were playing a tournament today, what deck are you bringing

Standard- no clue
Modern- shadow
Historic-goblins (I don’t think this is the best deck, but I really love jamming it)
Legacy- hogaak

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

standard: uhh rogues?
modern: 4c omnath cat combo
historic: BUG control splashing yasharn
legacy: ELDRAZI POST

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

HootTheOwl posted:

MH2.
Which is either going to be half-masters set to make them available or they mean that the fetches will be box topper bullshit.

They confirmed that (only) the enemy fetches will be reprinted as part of the regular set at rare.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Wasn't swords like an alpha card?

Yep. Alpha also has psionic blast.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Death and taxes for modern/legacy, feather in pioneer, mono u tempo for historic and whatever in standard

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What color should Swords be? Black I guess, unconditional removal at a price. Black gets exile but has to overpay for it, though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Some Goon posted:

Maro would / does disown alpha so fast vis-a-vis the color pie.

He should. Alpha was a mess in almost every aspect. It’s probably a testament to how good the core game concept was.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I always thought absolute removal or lockdown removal was a white thing.

Also the answer to the format thing is RDW.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Huxley posted:

What color should Swords be? Black I guess, unconditional removal at a price. Black gets exile but has to overpay for it, though.

MaRo is wrong and Swords SHOULD STAY white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Time posted:

If you were playing a tournament today, what deck are you bringing

Standard- no clue
Modern- shadow
Historic-goblins (I don’t think this is the best deck, but I really love jamming it)
Legacy- hogaak

Standard: a pile of junk if I have standard legal cards
Modern: bw tokens
Pioneer: bg creature scales
Historic: I don't play arena
Legacy: cloudpost or deadguy ale if I ever have money to build them

Swords and path are premium removal that white needs