Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is Biden still going to win yes or no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So is AZ safe still or should pants be poo poo in response to its tightening

Pants should be poo poo, though I recommend finding someone else's pants.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

copy posted:

Friend of mine is going on about how awful and racist we are as a country - which is true - and how that means we will never have anything good - which I disagree with. I'm hoping it's just anger and frustration, because whoever wins this election (and I loving hope it's Biden) the takeaway needs to be "we need to finally appeal to the non-voting population." If the best we can come up with is "well people just really love white supremacy whatchagonnado?" then why loving try any more? We cannot let ourselves use this as an excuse to get racist or to just focus on republican voters or turning them; it loving has to be about getting the majority of Americans who just do not loving vote to the polls, but I'm having a hard time getting this through. Or am I wrong?

Anybody got any tips for dealing with center-ish people who are blackpilling over Biden not getting the landslide that this election should have been for anybody not named Donald Trump?

The biggest thing is give them a couple weeks to cool down. Most people are mad. This was supposed to be a blowout. And I genuinely wonder if it would have been a bigger one had it not been for covid and a poo poo load of voter suppression.

Nonetheless, let them cool down, and then get them working at the local level. We need to start figuring out how to reach back out to rural voters because they're gonna start feeling the pain as red states slash everything further to the bone. In missouri it's getting harder and harder to get to any kind of hospital if you don't live near a population center. That's the kind of opening you need.

Stop focusing on olds. Start figuring out what 35 and under want and how to motivate them.

Bust rear end and start movements for election day as a holiday, or at least PTO to vote.

Get involved with your city/council. Look for orgs. There was a goon in this very thread saying that a PM to them would result in a list of local orgs and things that do good and could use help. So that and pull your friend in.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

skylined! posted:

GA official just announced 61,367 remaining absentee ballots to count and wants to finish by 12p.

Biden is currently down 18,590 votes, which means he'd need to win 65.1% of those ballots. I think he's on track to do so, but it's gonna be stupidly close (and probably all come down to a court decision anyways).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DandyLion posted:

Pants should be poo poo, though I recommend finding someone else's pants.

Anyone can poo poo their pants. But it takes talent to poo poo someone else's pants.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 5, 2020

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Lord Harbor posted:

Biden is currently down 18,590 votes, which means he'd need to win 65.1% of those ballots. I think he's on track to do so, but it's gonna be stupidly close (and probably all come down to a court decision anyways).

according to this: https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html (thanks to whoever posted it here), Biden's been averaging well over 70% in the batches they've been releasing.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The next race to call is gonna be a Trump win (probably NC) I'm convinced cause then the media gets to update its horserace narrative. Like in 2020 and the maximize engagement era theres no loving way the next call is a clincher state and they release the people from their monitors before the evening at the earliest. It really is loving dumb

Kind of how I swear it feels like it'll go from here call wise in priority for major news outlets

NC for Trump
Georgia if for Trump otherwise Nevada if for Biden
Pennsylvania if for Trump Otherwise Arizona if for Trump
Arizona if for Biden
Pennsylvania if its decisive or Nevada if decisive for ????

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 5, 2020

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Saxophone posted:

Stop focusing on olds. Start figuring out what 35 and under want and how to motivate them.

It's criminal justice reform, socialized medicine and legal pot op.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I mean... it does seem like if only 3-4 states are hanging in the balance, the rest should be called?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Kale posted:

The next race to call is gonna be a Trump win (probably NC) I'm convinced cause then the media gets to update its horserace narrative. Like in 2020 and the maximize engagement era theres no loving way the next call is a clincher state and they release the people from their monitors before the evening at the earliest. It really is loving dumb

I dunno, if they don't call this poo poo soon then all the star anchors are going to die on air.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kale posted:

That and the NYT using the term “flipped” for states where the lead changes with additional counting is super irresponsible.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Xander77 posted:

I mean... it does seem like if only 3-4 states are hanging in the balance, the rest should be called?

Yeah just loving call Alaska already.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Kale posted:

NC will not be called by anyone until November 12th or 13th and some very basic research would have confirmed this for you before you poo poo out the most room temp take.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Xander77 posted:

I just noticed they still haven't called Alaska... why?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

CNN holding off on Alaska for the drama.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Why is Nevada sticking at 75%?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Alaska doesn’t even start counting a lot of ballots until next week.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Eifert Posting posted:

Rent not taking up 50% of income is up there too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Orions Lord posted:

They have not released new numbers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Smeef posted:

I dunno, if they don't call this poo poo soon then all the star anchors are going to die on air.

Unrelated why are half of these news anchors stars anyway? Most of them just read a teleprompter (not saying all of them, I’ve worked in journalism, I get it, but) and could easily be replaced by a computer with half the audience never aware

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Shageletic posted:

What state does the person live in? Depending on the legislature there are good politicians doing things.

Marijuana got legalized and decriminalized across the country with this election.

e: uh that's all I got lol.

New York actually, which is part of why I'm confused as to how to handle this. She does like weed and medicaid though. It was a pretty good year for half of that!

skylined! posted:

The cure is to actually *do something good* instead of waiting for electoral politics to do it for you. Volunteer for food collection and donation for thanksgiving. Give a homeless dude $10. Support your local BIPOC/LGBTQ activist group. Donate. Look for opportunities to help people that seem to need it, and make it a regular part of your life.

Yeah I have tried pointing out the rise of mutual aid networks and grass roots power structures. I get a lot of resistance from folks about this, though. I think that it will take actually interacting with their communities for a lot of people to realize how far from over all of this is.

I think part of it is just the reaction to years of indoctrination into the structure that elections is the only acceptable way for citizens to interact with their government/society and watching that prove to be kind of incapable of rising to the moment.

Saxophone posted:

The biggest thing is give them a couple weeks to cool down. Most people are mad. This was supposed to be a blowout. And I genuinely wonder if it would have been a bigger one had it not been for covid and a poo poo load of voter suppression.

Nonetheless, let them cool down, and then get them working at the local level. We need to start figuring out how to reach back out to rural voters because they're gonna start feeling the pain as red states slash everything further to the bone. In missouri it's getting harder and harder to get to any kind of hospital if you don't live near a population center. That's the kind of opening you need.

Bust rear end and start movements for election day as a holiday, or at least PTO to vote.

Get involved with your city/council. Look for orgs. There was a goon in this very thread saying that a PM to them would result in a list of local orgs and things that do good and could use help. So that and pull your friend in.

Much of the same as above reply. But yeah at this point I am thinking that allowing time for people to get sorted is a good idea. Do you by any chance remember who it was that had that list of local orgs?

I appreciate these posts, y'all. Hopefully I can talk her and a couple others out of the Doom Lake with this advice!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eifert Posting posted:

but how can we do this AND run cops and people who wrote racially violent crime bills????

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

That and the NYT using the term “flipped” for states where the lead changes with additional counting is super irresponsible.

If you're talking about the states that are marked as "flipped" on their map, that means that the state flipped from the previous presidential election (currently just MI and WI), not that it flipped as votes came in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

If you're talking about the states that are marked as "flipped" on their map, that means that the state flipped from the previous presidential election (currently just MI and WI), not that it flipped as votes came in.

Everyone here knows this, but the usage of “flipped” implies a finality that the state was called.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I think I'm actually going to have a breakdown. How is Biden losing again.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Orions Lord posted:

Because Nevada's entire vote counting process is apparently a single retiree whose grandkids are visiting for the week.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Everyone here knows this, but the usage of “flipped” implies a finality that the state was called.

It’s also the language Justice Beerman used in his insane opinion trying to justify not counting all votes.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Oh yeah forgot about Alaska put that in for NC instead at next to be called

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I would be more ok with taking the slow and steady route to make a better world if not for the fact that my personal boogeyman is the climate apocalypse, and there's sort of a time limit on that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

parara posted:

NYT, their live updates.

With counting continuing in numerous counties throughout Georgia, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said that as of 9:15 a.m. today there are approximately 61,367 ballots still outstanding.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Because Nevada's entire vote counting process is apparently a single retiree whose grandkids are visiting for the week.

The grandkids can help!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Holy gently caress, CNN, stop with the ad breaks.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Petr posted:

He's not? Or like, what do you mean? He's down in PA right now but he's going to win the state at a canter like he did MI (lead like 3% now), just a matter of counting the votes

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I went to bed last night cautiously optimistic and now the anxiety is back.

I just want this to be over.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

What the gently caress is going on in NC that it's gonna take another week? I'm real confused because it's been 100% ignored for the last two days but seems super close?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Roger Explosion posted:

Their team is tapped out. They're probably waving smelling salts under this third-string anchor's nose between every break.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Roger Explosion posted:

Man, on CNNgo there are only 3 ads: HBO with the most annoying song, Alienware one whose volume is badly balanced and SUPER LOUD and the Real Life Nightmare one with the dumb spooky song.

They sometimes play multiple time in a row. It's loving driving me nuts.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Jealous Cow posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I'm pretty sure "flipped" on the NYT map means the winning party this year is different from 2016. Not that it was initially leaning one way and eventually went the other.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Petr posted:

He isn't, just wait for the votes to be counted. He's doing fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

mistaya posted:

What the gently caress is going on in NC that it's gonna take another week? I'm real confused because it's been 100% ignored for the last two days but seems super close?

They wait a while to count absentees and there’s a lot of them this year.