Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Bideo James posted:

do you work in a covid ward?

they do now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gonna have a good chance to break +600k worldwide today, looking at the current number (+480k) and the amount of countries not reporting yet

Also holy poo poo France is hosed

god drat they're at nearly +60k positive today and still some hours to go. 1/5 the population of the US and nearly 4/5's the number of positives--extremely cool and good

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
gonna pay the floof tax

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Dreylad posted:

gonna pay the floof tax

Synchronized napping

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
There was a weird case I heard about where some dudes were blasting with dynamite and the distant vibrations caused all the mother minks on a mink farm to go crazy and kill their young. Usually blasting is considered ultra hazardous and thus almost always carries liability but the court ruled against the mink farmer because minks are hosed up little things and the vibrations caused by the blasts were so small. Usually you have to'take your plaintiff as you find him' so that's kind of weird too. But gently caress fur farms (I say as a lifelong hunter who has slain thousands of animals - but I ate those fuckers and took the hides)

Son of Man has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Feb 16, 2021

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

facetoucher cat posted:

Synchronized napping

the ginger is the daughter of the tortie, so she's always copying her mom.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Kinda off topic but I discovered that I can make cherry slushies. Koolaid, sugar, water, ice, blend

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Dreylad posted:

the ginger is the daughter of the tortie, so she's always copying her mom.

So an orange cat with tortitude?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

facetoucher cat posted:

Kinda off topic but I discovered that I can make cherry slushies. Koolaid, sugar, water, ice, blend

It is good

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
in my industry (chemical engineering) process safety is a big deal. one of the things we are constantly on guard against is 'normalization of deviation' - in other words, things that tend to go BOOM and release a bunch of toxic chemicals usually work fine for months and months or years and years until... they don't. you hear this all the time when you interview operators - 'me: does this level indicator not work?' 'operator: oh, it's never worked, we just guesstimate when the tank is full.' 'operator: oh the hot oil tank is full of holes and rain gets in so we gotta drain it every day' 'me: the hot oil tank is full of holes!?' poo poo like that.

when the pandemic first started we took all these precautions and now things are basically back to normal at the office, no masks and frequent in person meetings. just pensively waiting for our own explosion in cases.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Son of Man posted:

There was a weird case from law school that stuck in my head where some dudes were blasting with dynamite and the distant vibrations caused all the mother minks on a mink farm to go crazy and kill their young. Usually blasting is considered ultra hazardous and thus almost always carries liability but the court ruled against the mink farmer because minks are hosed up little things and the vibrations caused by the blasts were so small. Usually you have to'take your plaintiff as you find him' so that's kind of weird too. But gently caress fur farms (I say as a lifelong hunter who has slain thousands of animals - but I ate those fuckers and took the hides)

I knew of a construction project that caused similar problems for rats at a medical research facility when moving heavy equipment or compacting the soil to prep for the concrete pours.

The specific problem is that low frequency vibrations cause anxiety in general. Unfortunately, we discovered this a few years after building all of modern human civilization around packing people as closely as possible into enormous networks of noise generating machines.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Googes posted:

SEVEN people out at work now

It was five two hours ago

Jesus loving christ

Haha can't wait until I make this post because all the idiots I share an office with are going to gather with their families over the holidays or go on International loving vacations and bring it into work to give it to me! Haahaaahaha :crackping:

Googes
Sep 2, 2006

Not much bro, just dancin on a streetlamp

mod sassinator posted:

they do now lol

No poo poo lmao

gregday
May 23, 2003

seems bad to be at +86,000 new cases before 5pm

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lacrosse posted:

Haha can't wait until I make this post because all the idiots I share an office with are going to gather with their families over the holidays or go on International loving vacations and bring it into work to give it to me! Haahaaahaha :crackping:

:same:

I feel the cracking already, and I'm starting to consider just wearing my full face respirator for the 9 hours I'm at work per day.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mod sassinator posted:

exponential growth is a bitch

i was scolding my parents too that all the bullshit they could get away with in the summer, when our positivity was less than 1%, will get them sick and killed as our positivity pushes up past 5% right now. they are totally of the mindset, "i went out all summer and never got sick, what's the big deal why are you scared?"

I knew this would happen, I loving called it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

facetoucher cat posted:

So an orange cat with tortitude?

Extreme toritude. The tortie is actually really chill and affectionate and just all around the best cat.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

gregday posted:

seems bad to be at +86,000 new cases before 5pm

Nah. Open er up

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mod sassinator posted:

i do wonder though, if it mutates somewhat easily is that perhaps an angle on developing a novel and interesting vaccine or antibody for it? like just keep throwing it into a controlled mutation 'blender' and see if it can eventually mutate weaker but more virulent versions of itself. the hope being if we could spread this less harmful but more contagious version and push out all the other versions going around

but i have no idea if that's even feasible or a good idea with modern virology

Hah, you're way late.

That article I keep posting? It's the reveal that we have the capacity to do exactly that.

Did you think Europe was slacking off? We know the dangers of letting private companies into public health efforts, so we didn't. Our biochem corpus is far in advance of the US and our electronic old men and their flexibility has allowed for us to make progress in genetically engineering the perfect answer. COVID-20 has been ready to go for weeks, but we can't finalize the FEMA appointment without knowing who's going to win the election. We got the tankers, you got the choppers. Within six months we'll have exterminated the little pest. A new age!

The only concern left is that we might not be able to contain the genetically engineered virus project.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

VectorSigma posted:

what i don't get is the people who need an opening or have to remove their mask to use a straw

i mean it takes like insect ingenuity to realize you can drink with a straw while leaving your mask like 99% in place and effective. give them a bendy straw, and even a dust mite could get it i bet

Maybe the worry is accidentally smearing the straw on the outside of the mask and drinking some roni

Serf
May 5, 2011

today at work i asked if there was any plan to move graduation to a virtual ceremony like in spring and they all but laughed at me

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Lovelyn posted:

Maybe the worry is accidentally smearing the straw on the outside of the mask and drinking some roni

it's a valid concern for sure. one thing virologists have mentioned is that eating or drinking the virus is not nearly as bad as smearing it in your nose or eyes. the digestive system is pretty drat hostile and stomach acids will kill a lot of things. there's still some risk of it getting in your mouth and mucous membranes though

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Uhh wait, tell me more about this whole Cluster-5 thing.

This stuff got into minks and it evolved and it jumped back into humans and it's been found in 12 people right?

So is it like Covid-19, it just has different protein spikes that's all right?

Like is it just the same thing right? It's not like this is entirely completely different?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

you feeling okay?

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Dreylad posted:

gonna pay the floof tax

Extremely good content

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zero cases, zero deaths for a full week in Melbourne today.
https://twitter.com/VicGovDHHS/status/1324464365345644545?s=19

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Luckyellow posted:

Uhh wait, tell me more about this whole Cluster-5 thing.

This stuff got into minks and it evolved and it jumped back into humans and it's been found in 12 people right?

So is it like Covid-19, it just has different protein spikes that's all right?

Like is it just the same thing right? It's not like this is entirely completely different?

no one knows but the reason this is so concerning is that the immune system may see it as a completely different virus

so if this is true

-you can be reinfected immediately by this after having regular covid, and potentially dual-infected
-many vaccines are back to square 0

and also

-potentially it could be mutated in other ways that make it worse disease wise

kater
Nov 16, 2010

reminder to drink water every now and then.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Dreylad posted:

Extreme toritude. The tortie is actually really chill and affectionate and just all around the best cat.

excellent

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

shovelbum posted:

no one knows but the reason this is so concerning is that the immune system may see it as a completely different virus

so if this is true

-you can be reinfected immediately by this after having regular covid, and potentially dual-infected
-many vaccines are back to square 0

and also

-potentially it could be mutated in other ways that make it worse disease wise

yowza i didn't think about the dual infection thing. ooph, if that gets out and it is the case both hit you at once... the triple combo of flu, covid-19, cluster-5/covid-20 is going to be wild. have we even seen much of flu + covid-19 yet?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Some very fine cats in here :kimchi:

Crossposting the chicken butt I posted in the backyard chickens thread earlier, because why not

snake and bake posted:

My girls are about 5-6 months old now. Still waiting on eggs.

Please enjoy this fluff butt

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

mod sassinator posted:

it's a valid concern for sure. one thing virologists have mentioned is that eating or drinking the virus is not nearly as bad as smearing it in your nose or eyes. the digestive system is pretty drat hostile and stomach acids will kill a lot of things. there's still some risk of it getting in your mouth and mucous membranes though

Exactly, it's got a while to travel before hitting the Pit of Despair (tumtum), especially with a liquid, could we absorb it sublingually? Spooky

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Ordered a 3M mask + filter (7500-series and 60926 cartridges) off Amazon because I wanted something quick but was pretty worried about getting fakes. They arrived and seem to have all the correct external packaging + safety notices and no obvious defects, so if they're fakes they're impressively elaborate fakes for ultimately not very expensive parts.

Reading over the Amazon reviews for the cartridges and it does look like people received dodgy or used units without the correct packaging so the general advice to not buy off Amazon is good. Plus I hate giving that company money.

These cartridges are hefty. They look like they'll filter anything but will not be helping my posture.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Zero cases, zero deaths for a full week in Melbourne today.
https://twitter.com/VicGovDHHS/status/1324464365345644545?s=19

pffffffffff we (county) had 0 also.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

snake and bake posted:

Some very fine cats in here :kimchi:

Crossposting the chicken butt I posted in the backyard chickens thread earlier, because why not

Wanna fluff that butt

wait

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Nocturtle posted:

Ordered a 3M mask + filter (7500-series and 60926 cartridges) off Amazon because I wanted something quick but was pretty worried about getting fakes. They arrived and seem to have all the correct external packaging + safety notices and no obvious defects, so if they're fakes they're impressively elaborate fakes for ultimately not very expensive parts.

Reading over the Amazon reviews for the cartridges and it does look like people received dodgy or used units without the correct packaging so the general advice to not buy off Amazon is good. Plus I hate giving that company money.

These cartridges are hefty. They look like they'll filter anything but will not be helping my posture.

I think an earlier post stated buying respirators themselves off amazon seems fine but the filters should come from legit sources

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

pffffffffff we (county) had 0 also.

:(

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
the worst part of that loving end times coronavirus vaccine = mark of the beast vid is she doesn't even get chipped on the correct hand for it to be the mark of the beast. rated 1/10.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

covid-24 will also be able to infect trees, spawning the bannable catchphrase "the happening was a documentary"

the bans result in death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Nocturtle posted:

envo masks are good and if you buy a cover you’re effectively covering the one-way valve, which i assume the 3M mask has