Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sydin posted:

"There is an element of sexism in the left's hatred towards Kamala" and "The party is using idpol as a shield to deflect criticism of Kamala" are not mutually exclusive.

Fair, but I don't see the party doing that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mA posted:

You won't find me defending cops. That said, Kamala was one of the original cosponsors of Medicare for All. She's obviously a careerist and opportunist, but I find her to be someone who you could plausibly "push left" in some aspects unlike Biden.

Weiner on the other hand is a true believer neoliberal on the policy front. When Weiner was a supe he helped to torpedo several police reform resolutions because he received big money from cops (which he still does). Thankfully prop e undoes some of his damage in this regard. And he hasn't been successful at all in convincing Daly City or other cities in the peninsula to increase density, so what does that matter?

You will never move her an inch to the left. She'll get on TV to politely tell you no with that disarming Xanax drawl of hers, wearing a perfectly fitting rainbow mask, standing exactly six feet away from the sign language interpreter and ADA-accessible podium ramp, but if you persist she won't hesitate to send BORTAC to your house. If you think the Democratic Party failed to secure the fealty of the next in line to power behind the septuagenarian candidate in clear cognitive decline, you are woefully unprepared for the reality of politics under the Biden administration.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mA posted:

You won't find me defending cops. That said, Kamala was one of the original cosponsors of Medicare for All. She's obviously a careerist and opportunist, but I find her to be someone who you could plausibly "push left" in some aspects unlike Biden.

Weiner on the other hand is a true believer neoliberal on the policy front. When Weiner was a supe he helped to torpedo several police reform resolutions because he received big money from cops (which he still does). Thankfully prop e undoes some of his damage in this regard. And he hasn't been successful at all in convincing Daly City or other cities in the peninsula to increase density, so what does that matter?

I mean, nothing good has been successful lately. I'm not going to condemn someone for trying. I also don't think Weiner is good overall, and I would rather have him stick around in state-level positions where he can maybe move the needle on housing rather than being another incredibly milquetoast Senator. Whether he'd be a "better" Senator than Kamala is open to debate I suppose; it's not like she actually had an opportunity to do much at all. Of course, she did immediately flip against M4A under the first sign of pressure.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Carroll Fife, who played an important role with Moms4Housing, took Lynette McElhaney's Oakland city council seat. McElhaney had opposed attempts to defund the OPD while Fife had that as a plank of her campaign.

Small victory.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
My issue with Scott Wiener is that while I think he's better than most state senators in CA, he's too conservative and too bought out for San Francisco. The City could have someone who is more progressive or a real leftist representing that district.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Senator Arnold Schwarzenegger, you know, to reach across the aisle and show everyone how future president gavin newsom wants to heal the country

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Leperflesh posted:

Senator Arnold Schwarzenegger, you know, to reach across the aisle and show everyone how future president gavin newsom wants to heal the country

He would probably just be another center-right Democrat at this point though, he wouldn't even be to the right of Feinstein

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

There's always the chance that Mayo Buttigieg moves to California just in time to get appointed to the Senate by Newsom.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LA news wasn't all that bad.

Measure J passed, which is a promising tactic for future police defunding.
Herb Wesson failed badly in his attempt to do a City Council/County Supervisor Swap.....though Mark Ridley-Thomas succeeded in his half and he may be the worse of the two.
Gascon beat Jackie Lacey for DA
DSA candidate in Burbank city council got elected

JusticeLA has been going hard against Lacey for years but someone in this thread has assured me they're a compromised group. :rolleyes:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

nithya raman also won for city council. i don't know her but her opponent was endorsed by Nancy Pelosi (??) and Hillary Clinton (?!?), which i thought was real weird

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

nithya raman also won for city council. i don't know her but her opponent was endorsed by Nancy Pelosi (??) and Hillary Clinton (?!?), which i thought was real weird

I think it's kind of huge. LA city council is succ as gently caress and this might be like the beginning of a new world there. A few years ago I briefly volunteered for Jessica salans to try and primary (?) CD13 and we got blown the gently caress out like insanely, and I think ryu was way more popular than Mitch. Ryu did some cool poo poo with utility box art program around hollywood so him losing to a progressive is very cool to me. The harbinger perhaps. Hehe

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Ridley-Thomas in CD10 is probably an even more succ option than Wesson.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

jesus this would be amazing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oakland, a burning beacon of progress.

EDIT: Wait, no.

Oh God.

Sorry, sorry. I'm trying to erase it.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 6, 2020

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

There's still a long way to go on all the props, like 4.5 million votes left to count - https://twitter.com/CASOSvote/status/1324519672566308865?s=20

Not that I have much hope on anything good happening in California when it comes to voters, but do keep in mind that it will probably be a week or more before we know on the props.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

DO IT

DO IT NOW

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
At this point I could very easily be talked into Senator Tom Steyer

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Smythe posted:

I think it's kind of huge. LA city council is succ as gently caress and this might be like the beginning of a new world there. A few years ago I briefly volunteered for Jessica salans to try and primary (?) CD13 and we got blown the gently caress out like insanely, and I think ryu was way more popular than Mitch. Ryu did some cool poo poo with utility box art program around hollywood so him losing to a progressive is very cool to me. The harbinger perhaps. Hehe

Yeah this is the first time in decades that a sitting councilmember has been voted out. This sends a message to the rest of the city council.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I will take the senate seat, and I vow to date irresponsibly and go to bars and college parties and hold as many meetings as I can with Feinstein.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Refried Hero posted:

There's still a long way to go on all the props, like 4.5 million votes left to count - https://twitter.com/CASOSvote/status/1324519672566308865?s=20

Not that I have much hope on anything good happening in California when it comes to voters, but do keep in mind that it will probably be a week or more before we know on the props.

Do we have a sense of which props might be getting flipped? I know alameda county is obviously voting for the good ones so that should help, but really have no idea for most of the ones with a lot of uncounted votes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

starbucks hermit posted:

DO IT

DO IT NOW

Literally watching predator right now and he just screamed that.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

tildes posted:

Do we have a sense of which props might be getting flipped? I know alameda county is obviously voting for the good ones so that should help, but really have no idea for most of the ones with a lot of uncounted votes.

The campaigns might have paid for high quality polling on the props that they didn’t make public. So watch how excited they get. Other than that, not really.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Bodhidharma posted:

My issue with Scott Wiener is that while I think he's better than most state senators in CA, he's too conservative and too bought out for San Francisco. The City could have someone who is more progressive or a real leftist representing that district.

Why? That's not representative of pro capital neoliberal gently caress the poor San Francisco. That's why they elect neoliberals.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

droll posted:

Why? That's not representative of pro capital neoliberal gently caress the poor San Francisco. That's why they elect neoliberals.

Yeah that's true that there's a large influential corporate neolib dem contingent in SF, but it's also the city that elects folks like Dean Preston to the Board of Supervisors and almost elected Jane Kim instead of Wiener in 2016. But on the other hand, people like London Breed exist :smith:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
And Nancy Pelosi the multi millionaire.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, but in SF door knocking works. Dean just handily beat that loving lich vallie brown despite Mitch McConnell's PAC pouring four million into her campaign and London Breed's endorsement and repeated appearances with her.

But yes, as someone who's family has been here since about 1846, SF is a hyper-capitalist hellscape and always has been.

FIngers crossed for Connie Chan in D1, it's down to the wire and Marjan is also a loving lich

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Ran into a guy yesterday who was No on 15 to protect "family farms"

Prop 15 excludes all agriculture..

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Well, that is what all the sponsored posts on Facebook told me. "A tax on farms is a tax on food"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

But yes, as someone who's family has been here since about 1846, SF is a hyper-capitalist hellscape and always has been.

That's really cool. Do you have any handed-down family stories?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Hmm. Maybe Newsom will appoint Dwayne Johnson.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
nothing more san franciscan than using longevity in-place to establish legitimacy

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

mA posted:

And then when she started running for president she drafted a new plan that she called "Medicare for All" that wasn't actually Medicare for All, but instead called for a ten year transition to the new system and would let private insurers continue to offer the bulk of the plans and "compete" with the new government system (which basically guarantees the government system would be a mess so that it was fair for the insurance companies). It was a "Medicare for All" plan that was designed to fail and entrench the insurance industry as deeply into the system as possible.

If you dig into her proposals, you'll find that they were all carefully tailored to sound like they were offering help to people while making sure the absolute smallest number of people possible received assistance. Such as her plan for forgiving $20k in student loans, but only for Pell Grant recipients who open and run a small business in a disadvantaged community for three years. Joe Biden picked her for a reason, and it had nothing to do with her willingness to pivot left. I don't see the vaunted "we can pull them left" playing out successfully in the real world and I don't think Harris is going to be the first success story on that front.

Kenning posted:

I will take the senate seat, and I vow to date irresponsibly and go to bars and college parties and hold as many meetings as I can with Feinstein.

You've got my support.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
goddamn that double means-testing poo poo still cracks me up

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1155305122911723526

just completely bloodless lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao this so bad that even libs in this feed are like "uh, you do realize basically nobody would benefit from this right? You essentially have to be in poverty to qualify for a pell grant, how is somebody who qualified and had to take one out supposed to find the capital to spool up an entire new business in only three years after graduating???"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

You've gotta imagine this bullshit comes straight out of committees that are essentially tasked with finding totally meaningless, empty promises that will hold the ground in place of real policies that actually cost money.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I gotta admit, it takes creativity to come up with a debt relief program that it would cost more to qualify for than to just pay off your debt.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Vox Nihili posted:

You've gotta imagine this bullshit comes straight out of committees that are essentially tasked with finding totally meaningless, empty promises that will hold the ground in place of real policies that actually cost money.

lol do you remember hillary clinton's student loan forgiveness plan

quote:

The Democratic front-runner unveiled a plan Tuesday afternoon that would allow young entrepreneurs to defer their federal student loan payments for up to three years while they build their businesses. During that three-year period, interest would also stop building on the loans. To qualify for the program, borrowers would need to prove they’ve started a new venture, likely by showing articles of incorporation that they’ve filed with state officials. Borrowers who start new businesses in distressed communities would be eligible for up to $17,500 in student loan forgiveness after five years under Clinton’s plan.

i can't decide whether it was written by the same people who then made it onto kamala's team, or if her people instead went "nah, we can do better than that" and came up with almost the same garbage

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol do you remember hillary clinton's student loan forgiveness plan

i can't decide whether it was written by the same people who then made it onto kamala's team, or if her people instead went "nah, we can do better than that" and came up with almost the same garbage

Virtually the entire leadership of the Harris campaign was Clinton staff, so yeah, they basically just took the same policies they'd floated in 2016 and "improved" them.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's really cool. Do you have any handed-down family stories?

My parents lost a lot of friends in Jonestown. They met at SFSU and married on Angel Island. My great great grandparents owned the first green grocer in Marin, they moved there when it was an Irish railroad town. A grandpa was a milkman for Foremost. One set of grandparents wrote love letters during WWII while grandma worked the yards in Richmond building planes and grandpa was secretly stationed on Angel Island, his letters were heavily redacted because it was secret location but he'd look across the Bay and think of her. Very romantic.

My dad hired Big Brother + Janis to play his high school dance and went to pretty much every famous concert 68-74. He was at most of the big protests and you can see him in some of the White Night protests. My mom door knocked for Harvey Milk. I have some cool paintings from my Great Aunt of the Bay from the 40s and 50s. I have a relative that owned a rock quarry in what is now the Mayacamas range, his funeral (circa 90? 92?) was insane. A second cousin by marriage ran the only funeral home in Napa county when it was still an unknown backwoods. Almost all my families are teachers, so they've had some neat students.

Greg12 posted:

nothing more san franciscan than using longevity in-place to establish legitimacy

Get hosed, rear end in a top hat. Working class people in the Bay Area have been a dying breed for a long time and techies will scrape my cold dead corpse out after my dying breath.

E: furthermore, I spend most of my time in labor organizing, water drops at the border and harm reduction outreach work and my partner does beautiful community murals, so truly, eat my entire rear end. It's my loving city and I do a fuckin lot to try to make it a better place for everyone.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

adoration for none posted:

Carroll Fife, who played an important role with Moms4Housing, took Lynette McElhaney's Oakland city council seat. McElhaney had opposed attempts to defund the OPD while Fife had that as a plank of her campaign.

Small victory.

Yay!! I voted Fife. District 3 represent!!