Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Raku posted:

i wouldn't count on pike being upbeat based on what happens to him in the end

he gets to live out his life on the planet of make believe with a 10/10 smoke show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Raku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pyhiAntIPc&t=120s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Blistex posted:

By next year there will be more people with a Star Trek producing credit than Covid cases.

The R0 is significantly greater than one

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
A problem I have with the Tuxiv thing is that (beyond the fact that they should have been able to just clone another Tuvok/neelix anyway)

is that Tuvok and Neelix were fully merged. It wasn't frankensteined up. Their minds, personality, and memories were one. Tuvix was greater than it's parts.

Can you take Tin and Copper, melt them into a mold, and then try and separate the Tin and Copper out of the Brass?
No*, you can't. Just like there was no way of separating out which pieces were Tuvok and which were Neelix.

yeah yeah, they should be able to separate the bonds with their level of tech

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

He never did get to retire and ride horses like he wanted. Then again, he never became an Orion slave trader, either.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

A problem I have with the Tuxiv thing is that (beyond the fact that they should have been able to just clone another Tuvok/neelix anyway)

is that Tuvok and Neelix were fully merged. It wasn't frankensteined up. Their minds, personality, and memories were one. Tuvix was greater than it's parts.

Can you take Tin and Copper, melt them into a mold, and then try and separate the Tin and Copper out of the Brass?
No*, you can't. Just like there was no way of separating out which pieces were Tuvok and which were Neelix.

you can't just assume two people are okay not being themselves because they can't tell you otherwise.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

tuvix was greater than the sum of his parts in that 8+-4=6, but you still end up with a higher number if you just kill the -4

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

CainFortea posted:

you can't just assume two people are okay not being themselves because they can't tell you otherwise.

Tuvix IS Tuvok and Neelix. Tuvix has all their memories, personalities, everything!

I mean, the point is moot because it was done to bring everything back to status quo

In a better show, the EMH would say it was impossible to separate them (because it would have been) and they just just load the latest backups and replicate a new Tuvok/Neelix and keep Tuvix as a new crew member.
It would provide excellent friction on the ship. Tuvix has all this knowledge and memories of everyone on ship,. but would be a stranger in a way, and Tuvok/neelix would have to come to terms with Tuvix's existence.

That, and come to terms with the fact that Tuvix was better together, than they were apart.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Then Tuvix dies heroically and everyone not only reacts really sadly to their passing, but begin to resent Tuvok and Neelix even more. "It should have been both of you, simultaneously" they'd mutter in the corridor

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
RED SQUAD

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Tuvix IS Tuvok and Neelix. Tuvix has all their memories, personalities, everything!

Being a mixed personality with another person is death to both personalities and creation of a new one.

Just because the new one is a blend of the two old ones doesn't mean that the two old ones are there in their unmodified form. It's very specifically not that.

Also using the teleporter to just print new crewmembers wouldn't work very well in anything BUT lower decks. And ESPECIALLY poorly in Voyager where the whole tension is "how can we manage to get home with limited resources"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really strange that tuvix wasn't filled with horror by his own existence, what with how half of him absolutely loathed everything about the other half.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Theory of ST Pike: we listened to you the fans, we're skipping the grimdark for this one, classic Trek!

Reality of ST Pike: 13 episodes of Johnny Got His Gun

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All like title music literally an orchestral gospel rendition of Metallica's One

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

And the nurse that jerks him off is a weird dumb Klingon? That sounds like something CBS would write

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

OR a ghost/alien of course. Perhaps a klingon ghost. jerked by kahless: the captain pike story

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

CainFortea posted:

Being a mixed personality with another person is death to both personalities and creation of a new one.

Just because the new one is a blend of the two old ones doesn't mean that the two old ones are there in their unmodified form. It's very specifically not that.

Also using the teleporter to just print new crewmembers wouldn't work very well in anything BUT lower decks. And ESPECIALLY poorly in Voyager where the whole tension is "how can we manage to get home with limited resources"

Yes because Voyager is written as "adventure of the week" with reset buttons.

I feel that it wouldn't take too much effort to "fix" the printing clones thing. You could put in such that, while it is POSSIBLE to do so, in the Federation culture, it is considered extremely taboo. not straight up illegal, but looked upon as a vile thing.
Janeway wants her companion back so much, that she is willing to bear the black spots on her soul from doing this.
Can make it such a strong taboo, that for 99% of cases, it is not even thought of. Like, it never even occurs to most people that it could be a possibility

I am thinking of this whole thing, as if from a show that had a long plan story, with lots of character interaction and growth. .

Oooh, that adds another layer of Neelix dont really giving a poo poo about being a clone, but Tuvok struggling with an identity crisis.

Yes, logically, with a culture of teleporters, cloning via that method, or of replicators should be fine, but like the base concept of Humanity is that we are NOT logical.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raku posted:

I really liked the way season 2 brought that up, and even built on The Cage. Season 2 was hit-and-miss, but that was a legitimate hit.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Third post: I'm listening to a podcast about Chinese history, and one of the (brief) emperors is Guo Rong. But I can only hear

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Johnny Aztec posted:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes because Voyager is written as "adventure of the week" with reset buttons.

I feel that it wouldn't take too much effort to "fix" the printing clones thing. You could put in such that, while it is POSSIBLE to do so, in the Federation culture, it is considered extremely taboo. not straight up illegal, but looked upon as a vile thing.
Janeway wants her companion back so much, that she is willing to bear the black spots on her soul from doing this.
Can make it such a strong taboo, that for 99% of cases, it is not even thought of. Like, it never even occurs to most people that it could be a possibility

I am thinking of this whole thing, as if from a show that had a long plan story, with lots of character interaction and growth. .

Oooh, that adds another layer of Neelix dont really giving a poo poo about being a clone, but Tuvok struggling with an identity crisis.

Yes, logically, with a culture of teleporters, cloning via that method, or of replicators should be fine, but like the base concept of Humanity is that we are NOT logical.

If they used transporters to routinely make additional copies of people, then it would be too in-your-face that transporters kill you and make a copy and people would get upset.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

hakimashou posted:

If they used transporters to routinely make additional copies of people, then it would be too in-your-face that transporters kill you and make a copy and people would get upset.

The first point was that Tuvix was an alloy.

But I explicitly wrote story in there to explain/prevent why it is NOT routine.

which you didnt even read. im a little offended :(

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

GolfHole posted:

from MY point of the view, the PROPHETS are evil

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Maybe I should just sit down and crank out an entire Voyager re-write.

MUTHAFUKEN FANFICS UP IN THE DELTA

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Johnny Aztec posted:

The first point was that Tuvix was an alloy.

But I explicitly wrote story in there to explain/prevent why it is NOT routine.

which you didnt even read. im a little offended :(

nah i read it and considered it and you know, theres that episode of tng where riker gets super indignant that some people are cloning him and murders his clone so maybe you're on to something and they've got that tabboo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly looking forward to how they're gonna try to justify why with all the retconned in Discovery-era supertech they can't do better for Pike than YES/NO lamps

"well, we gave people fully functional cyborg bodies after terrible accidents in the past but, uh, they went bad let's say"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

hakimashou posted:

nah i read it and considered it and you know, theres that episode of tng where riker gets super indignant that some people are cloning him and murders his clone so maybe you're on to something and they've got that tabboo

I mean, probably a lot of "canon" things are just there due to budget costs.

The Federation is often talking about the "sanctity of life" and you could def have a cultural thing where the teleporter is A-okay, but clones just enrage people at the violation

though, making clones of a living person without their consent is a pretty big different violation. A clone from someone who died in an accident is a different beast, but I feel that such a culture would not look kindly onto it

Hey, Pick was doing all those neat re-designs of Star Trek aliens. Did Pick ever do one for the Ocampah?

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 6, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Honestly looking forward to how they're gonna try to justify why with all the retconned in Discovery-era supertech they can't do better for Pike than YES/NO lamps

"well, we gave people fully functional cyborg bodies after terrible accidents in the past but, uh, they went bad let's say"

"Look; Pike's real hosed up. I mean, he's more microwaved meat than man at this point and he's frankly lucky he can move and beep".

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's really strange that tuvix wasn't filled with horror by his own existence, what with how half of him absolutely loathed everything about the other half.

Sounds par for the course to be honest

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tuvix doesn't have that half of Tuvok.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man but TNG S7 has some hokey as gently caress episodes coming out of the woodwork. Gambit is proto-Discovery/Picard, Dark Page was some super melodramatic bullshit, Force of Nature feels like that show don't tell Nedroid comic, needless to say I'm still coming up on the candle episode or these probably wouldn't even register on the scale.

Phantasms was really good. Attached had a fun premise and some good character moments. Overall so far S7 feels like dredging the barrel though.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

the best season 7 episode is sub rosa and the weird rear end alien that cosplays as an irishman

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Oh god wait so do Tuvok and Neelix both have memories of being Tuvix? Do they know what Janeway did? Do they remember protesting for their collective life? Does Neelix now know everything about Tuvok because his brain was in the same jar and vice versa??

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Look; Pike's real hosed up. I mean, he's more microwaved meat than man at this point and he's frankly lucky he can move and beep".
The secret is they accidentally swapped his lights.
"OK Captain before we get your cyborg body up and running I'm legally required to ask some questions. 1) Do you want a sicknasty cyborg body?"
NO
"Heh, what, you just going to stay in the legal questions formality box forever?"
YES
"That's... uh... What? Are you sure you want that?"
YES
"...is it a fetish thing?"
YES YES YES
"OK I'm going to put a note on your file that you asked for this and you're into it. Not to kink shame but this makes me very uncomfortable so we're never going to talk about this again."
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 6, 2020

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

pike cant even tell anyone the nurses are stealing his social security check hows he supposed to run a staship

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

womb with a view posted:

Oh god wait so do Tuvok and Neelix both have memories of being Tuvix? Do they know what Janeway did? Do they remember protesting for their collective life? Does Neelix now know everything about Tuvok because his brain was in the same jar and vice versa??

I'm doing a full Trek rewatch so when I get there i'll look into this.

Also, i'd like to point out that transporter patterns are too large to keep copies of. Also reading of the pattern destroys it in the buffer. Tuvix gets separated by radio tagging genomes (which is a particularly hand wavey woo woo way of doing it).

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Didn't the fat beardo get cloned by transporter in TNG

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's almost like the writers are just making poo poo up! It's a sham everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yes, but that was a split annular confinement beam, not a copied pattern in the pattern buffer.