Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Eggnogium posted:

Really? As compared to Wheeler?

Oh wait no, you’re either still on square one where you either don’t understand the basic mathematical rules of FPTP elections or believe in accelerationism. In either case, I’m too tired to bother.

not being right doesnt mean someone is left hth

and yes please take your ball and leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

raiford did not campaign, promote, or provide any material support for the write-in initiative but go off i guess

Someone did though, there were postings on telephone poles across Portland.

When I say them, I knew that Wheeler would probably get re-elected, just enough.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

raiford did not campaign, promote, or provide any material support for the write-in initiative but go off i guess

Any you're gonna still defend the morons who voted for her I guess. If she didn't want to keep running she should have made that clear and told her voters who she supported in the runoff. It doesn't seem like she did that.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
moron, reporting for duty!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It’s impossible to know how her voters would have gone if not for the write-in. A lot of them would have just blanked it or did the same thing Ianarrone did in 2016 and wrote In funny names. :shrug: Sarah failed to inspire a winning coalition. It’s not the voters’ job to elect a candidate, it’s the candidate’s job to give voters a reason to choose them. Same reason Biden underperformed so bad. The other guy is the devil isn’t enough to inspire people.

I voted for her, but that was my choice and I’m not going to blame anyone but the assholes who actively voted for Ted. Those are the enemies.

Regardless, and surprising nobody, guess how the postponed defund vote went :(

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Dan Ryan has been a loving embarrassment.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I mean I’m not sure what else anyone expected from a guy with his employment history. Like, you spent significant time raising money from rich fucks to support PSU and ballet theater. You’re practically one of them by that point.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

finally; some common ground

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

I mean I’m not sure what else anyone expected from a guy with his employment history. Like, you spent significant time raising money from rich fucks to support PSU and ballet theater. You’re practically one of them by that point.

Oh of course. I'm just shocked that we've somehow got a worse group of commissioners now then we did before Fish died.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Mingus the dingus won too right?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Yeah. The Wheeler/Ryan/Mapps block gonna be insufferable. I don’t really have a read on Rubio.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Yerp. Hardesty is the one sole remaining bright spot.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
This whole voting this is bullshit

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Of course a bunch of white liberals are pissed at the black woman and upset that the wrong black man beat a terrible failure of a white woman candidate.

Just shut the gently caress up for once and live with it.

Look on the bright side, we get to ruin 4 more years of Ted's life and age him 17 years in the process.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

porkface posted:

Of course a bunch of white liberals are pissed at the black woman and upset that the wrong black man beat a terrible failure of a white woman candidate.

Just shut the gently caress up for once and live with it.

Look on the bright side, we get to ruin 4 more years of Ted's life and age him 17 years in the process.

Oddly, I care more about the potential to actually move forward than I do getting to totally own this dude I don’t like. Weird.

At least we still have Ted to kick around! :rolleyes:

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 6, 2020

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Oddly, I care more about the potential to actually move forward than I do getting to totally own this dude I don’t like. Weird.

At least we still have Ted to kick around! :rolleyes:

Yeah I didn't say it was a good outcome. I said stop criticizing people for voting for qualified black candidates.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The Oldest Man posted:

What about Sarah Iannarone would you describe as "left" exactly?

https://twitter.com/sarahforpdx/status/726995735367929856?s=20

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

porkface posted:

Yeah I didn't say it was a good outcome. I said stop criticizing people for voting for qualified black candidates.

Show me where I criticized anyone for voting for Raiford or Mapps. Guilty as charged I did criticize the assholes who voted for Ted but they’re scum. I also expressed an opinion that Mapps will be a bad councilor based on what I’ve seen so far. Is this also disallowed?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I keep searching her campaign website for where it says "get the landlords" but can't find it, am I lost??????

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To be fair, it doesn't seem any of the politicians running seems to care about the fact that the quality of living in Portland has dived right into the toilet.

Personally, I don't know if Iannarone was ready for prime time, but the fact that it doesn't seem like the Portland left has any coordination seems to be a bit of a problem.

It doesn't help that metro put all of its in one basket for a terribly written proposition and now any progress for infrastructure will be stall for a good decade.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Show me where I criticized anyone for voting for Raiford or Mapps. Guilty as charged I did criticize the assholes who voted for Ted but they’re scum. I also expressed an opinion that Mapps will be a bad councilor based on what I’ve seen so far. Is this also disallowed?

I wasn't criticizing you specifically and nobody here voted for Ted.

And yes if you're white, consider holding your tongue on Mapps until he's had a chance to gently caress up on the job.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Washington turnout hit 84.0% last night, breaking the 80% ceiling. That is silly-high even for "good" democracies.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

porkface posted:

I wasn't criticizing you specifically and nobody here voted for Ted.

And yes if you're white, consider holding your tongue on Mapps until he's had a chance to gently caress up on the job.

I'm the white-guiltiest white and this is goofy. It is fine to connect the dots re: Mapps' PPA endorsement + donation and criticize him for that.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Quote!=edit

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

jkyuusai posted:

I'm the white-guiltiest white and this is goofy. It is fine to connect the dots re: Mapps' PPA endorsement + donation and criticize him for that.

That’s right. I think it’s fair to look at who funded his campaign, endorsed him, and supported him and draw inferences as to how we can expect him to govern. Maybe he’ll be a great disappointment to them and align with a whole new coalition and if so good for him. But my historical observation has been that kind of shift usually happens with leftist candidates and not the ones who think we need to be more civil and accommodating to pba and developers. Prove me wrong, Mapps! I ready to change my opinion at the drop of a hat.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Wait, we were NOT supposed to vote for Ted Wheeler? Crap, I thought it was one of those things where you had to vote YES if you wanted him to leave.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
It would explain a lot if leftists thought elections were scored like golf

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
I think it also matters that we're talking about a person who wields power over us. Mapps, the elected official, will make choices that impact a lot of people's lives, including mine. Him being Black does not give him a pass on accounting for how the choices he has made in his capacity as a person campaigning for that position will influence the choices he makes when he's in the position.

Having said that, I 100% believe that non-white/straight/male candidates and elected officials experience elevated levels of criticism compared to their white straight male counterparts. So white people in particular should be real solid on checking themselves when bringing criticism to ensure that we're not holding non-white candidates to a higher standard than white candidates.

In this specific instance, any candidate taking, and deciding to keep, a donation and endorsement from one of the wildest-rear end police unions in the country deserves to be questioned about it.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

jkyuusai posted:

I think it also matters that we're talking about a person who wields power over us. Mapps, the elected official, will make choices that impact a lot of people's lives, including mine. Him being Black does not give him a pass on accounting for how the choices he has made in his capacity as a person campaigning for that position will influence the choices he makes when he's in the position.

Having said that, I 100% believe that non-white/straight/male candidates and elected officials experience elevated levels of criticism compared to their white straight male counterparts. So white people in particular should be real solid on checking themselves when bringing criticism to ensure that we're not holding non-white candidates to a higher standard than white candidates.

In this specific instance, any candidate taking, and deciding to keep, a donation and endorsement from one of the wildest-rear end police unions in the country deserves to be questioned about it.

This is a fair point, but I would like to highlight that Mapps' campaign ran the same general strategy that Wheeler's did. Paint your opponent as in over their head, divisive, inexperienced, incompetent, off-putting. Mapps in general implied he would be basically Eudaly on the good stuff people liked but just better able to build coalitions with interest groups like landlords, NIMBYs, PBA, etc... He very much ran a character and demeanor campaign, which people found compelling, as opposed to a substantive campaign. My fear, and I think it's well founded, is that this is because the substance of the direction he'd like to go wouldn't have played as well with the public. I think "work better with landlords and PBA" is in fact not "we can do good things but need to be more congenial" and instead is probably "these are groups that need far more consideration in all things."

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

You're gonna have to criticize a politician at some point. They don't get a free pass.

Call him out on the PPA endorsement, on the funds and how he didn't return them when he said he did.

But calling him bad (vs a white woman with a nasty track record) when he hasn't spent a single day on the job doesn't seem like you're giving a black man a chance.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

COVID poo poo is getting bad again up here. Inslee needs to shut us down again or at least interior service in restaurants

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Back a bit the LA contract tracers said up to 1/6th of all infections were from dining in, Inslee needs to tell them all to shut that poo poo down.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

COVID poo poo is getting bad again up here. Inslee needs to shut us down again or at least interior service in restaurants

It's just a line going straight up now

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
It’s gonna be so fuckin bad with holiday gatherings right around the corner.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

It's just a line going straight up now

Yep they have to act right now or we be hosed like the rest of the county.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’m going to be calling my rep’s offices and the Governor’s office about it this weekend. I mean that will likely not do poo poo but...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Someone earlier was touting Inslee's admirable COVID response and, as someone who VOTES, I'm not worried at all.

Just vote.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

porkface posted:

You're gonna have to criticize a politician at some point. They don't get a free pass.

Call him out on the PPA endorsement, on the funds and how he didn't return them when he said he did.

But calling him bad (vs a white woman with a nasty track record) when he hasn't spent a single day on the job doesn't seem like you're giving a black man a chance.

Nasty seems a bit strong. She certainly wasn't perfect, as seen by the fact that the majority of the electorate wasn't down to reelect her, but I wouldn't call her nasty. I think she was way to deferential to Wheeler a lot of the time, especially before Hardesty got on the council. But she did fine as PBOT commissioner, and she got a lot of generally positive renters stuff done, and she took the right side on BLM and the summer of tear gas, which says a lot.

Again, Mapps primarily ran a character based campaign. The crux of it was that she was divisive and that she pushed people away and couldn't work with PBA and PPB and NIMBY groups and the like. If your campaign is a vague "I like her policies generally but she's too mean to business and cops" then I reserve the right to be very suspicious of your actual goals and the things you've said to the people who bankrolled you behind closed doors. People tend to show you who they are, and I think Mr. Mapps has done that. We'll see. But based on everything so far, I don't think he gets the benefit of the doubt that he's secretly a vote to defund ppb.

Edit: Out of curiosity, where you a Mapps voter? No shame, but I do get the feeling you were. May I ask what led you to support him, what parts of his platform resonated with you, and why you're not making the case that he'll maybe be a good councilor based on those qualities rather than shushing criticism based on the fact that he's black while retreading some of the more tired misogynistic lines of reasoning that were put up against Eudaly and Ianorrone? (See "nasty" above).

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 7, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Someone earlier was touting Inslee's admirable COVID response and, as someone who VOTES, I'm not worried at all.

Just vote.

Now that the election is 'over' I expect a fresh lock down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Just vote.

Probably me he did a good job at the beginning back in March

This is worse than March. Not acting now would be unforgivable.