Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He also refuses to fight any champion not named after a (possibly mythical) animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
After 1300 chapters, finally time to get to the main focus of the manga, Mahjong.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Watch out for those high stakes games Dragon. Some of them take years to finish.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This should actually be new for Takamura. He's never actually fought at Super Middleweight before. Dragon's also lanky.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

YESSSS, another new title for Takamura!

Hopefully this fight lives up to his other two world title wins.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Extremely pumped for this particular gimmick fight as a recently converted mahjong weeb

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what if hes not lucky and he just has a really godo brain

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

what if hes not lucky and he just has a really godo brain

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/351120640180355072?s=20

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1319

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Gotta try and get this on my Kindle Fire or something

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Wasn't there a big ol speech a while ago on how there's no such thing as a lucky punch? I don't remember when this was but I vaguely recall coach talking about how a fighter trains their punch.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Garrand posted:

Wasn't there a big ol speech a while ago on how there's no such thing as a lucky punch? I don't remember when this was but I vaguely recall coach talking about how a fighter trains their punch.

Kamogawa's spiel in this chapter is about the having luck in your career as a boxer, independent of your performance in the ring, so he's being consistent even if Takamura is making GBS threads on what he said once upon a time

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I’m not sure how this is going to go, but having a fighter work on luck doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

I really hope Morikawa nails the landing on this one, the fights have improved so much that Takamura struggling against a guy who gets lucky punches will be really dumb against all the stuff he’a been setting up so far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Garrand posted:

That was Miyata Sr. Who Miyata claimed he lost his chance at the OPBF title cause of one. But Sr later told Miyata that this is not the case.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

it's gonna be "takamura beats up a weeaboo by dropping anime quotes mid-fight to distract him"

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

What if he's not really lucky but makes what seem to be really risky moves that work because he's just that good and everyone else assumes it's because he's lucky?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Eight-Six posted:

it's gonna be "takamura beats up a weeaboo by dropping anime quotes mid-fight to distract him"
Aoki distracts him by waving a new chapter of Saki from the corner

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Adnor posted:

What if he's not really lucky but makes what seem to be really risky moves that work because he's just that good and everyone else assumes it's because he's lucky?

I honestly hope it's something like this. They hype up his 'luck' but it's really just the guy being really loving good and knowing when to make risky moves but I don't know how Morikawa can make the fight special with that. Every fights gotta have a gimmick!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He can be like Aoki when trying to fight hella dirty. I know Takamura fights are often this epitome of :black101:-incarnate, but maybe a combination of :black101: with goofy-rear end shenanigans match might be in order?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Wark Say posted:

He can be like Aoki when trying to fight hella dirty. I know Takamura fights are often this epitome of :black101:-incarnate, but maybe a combination of :black101: with goofy-rear end shenanigans match might be in order?

I mean weren’t all his defenses goofy blow off fights?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1320

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Haven't been this excited about Hajime No Ippo in a long time.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Thinking about it...it's been 3 years since Ippo retired huh?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ippo is going to discover he still has the shonen desire to ~*chase his dreams*~

Also how in the gently caress has that line takamura dragged out in the grass not grown in by now.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At this point I don't think Ippo is getting back into the ring until some crazy poo poo happens, including but not limited to

-Sendo beats Martinez
-Sendo dies
-Kamogawa dies
-The fishing boat gets wrecked
-Ippo's mom somehow becomes independently wealthy and she tells him to chase his dream
-The Baki story with Muhammad Alai Jr., except with Ippo as Baki, Kumi as Kozue, and a world champion featherweight as Jr.
-Mashiba becomes world lightweight champion and pressures Kumi into joining the Otowa boxing gym as his medical advisor, and then absconds with her on a globe-trotting trek to keep her away from Ippo
-Miyata becomes featherweight world champion (This one seems the least likely)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda feel like Takamura's hurry is because Kamogawa is dying- like in the sense that he was diagnosed with something and not just that he's old.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DamnGlitch posted:

I mean weren’t all his defenses goofy blow off fights?

Aside from the unification fight, yeah. Honestly I think that's the only reason "Takamura" is now in a hurry - Morikawa realized how much time he's wasted with Takamura's arc.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

TaurusOxford posted:

Aside from the unification fight, yeah. Honestly I think that's the only reason "Takamura" is now in a hurry - Morikawa realized how much time he's wasted with Takamura's arc.

i dont quite agree, if only because takamura's "hurry" has been noted hundreds of chapters ago. then again, mori is the slowest writer of all time, so you might not be wrong lol

its gotta be dying kamogawa from my perspective

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Also how in the gently caress has that line takamura dragged out in the grass not grown in by now.

Takamura makes the line every week out of sight just to mess with Ippo.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Ippo is going to discover he still has the shonen desire to ~*chase his dreams*~

the line in the grass thing continuing to stay there is, no joke, the most unbelievable part of the manga

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Takamura's hands feet literally salted the earth... and erosion doesn't exist in HnI

Super Rad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 13, 2020

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's Chapter 1321

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

He's really going hard on this luck thing, eh

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
One day when this manga is done someone will write a thesis on its pacing and I’ll read every word with spiteful glee.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Repeat after me: At least it ain't Togashi or Miura.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I had to look up Togashi but yeah HXH and Berserk pacing is killer. At least Togashi has a descent excuse, being the author of one of the most popular mangas ever while being married to the same. Guy could walk into Jump HQ in Tokyo and take a poo poo on the CEO's desk and say 'print that, bitch' and the CEO would bow and say 'yes sir, should that be a color spread or...'

Still, I flip back and forth between having a steady stream of good-to-meh content VS sporadic but kickass chapters.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Takes No Damage posted:

I had to look up Togashi but yeah HXH and Berserk pacing is killer. At least Togashi has a descent excuse, being the author of one of the most popular mangas ever while being married to the same. Guy could walk into Jump HQ in Tokyo and take a poo poo on the CEO's desk and say 'print that, bitch' and the CEO would bow and say 'yes sir, should that be a color spread or...'

Still, I flip back and forth between having a steady stream of good-to-meh content VS sporadic but kickass chapters.

Not to mention age combined with health. Apparently he also takes the most sick days of any manganka they have likely even combined.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

doomrider7 posted:

Not to mention age combined with health. Apparently he also takes the most sick days of any manganka they have likely even combined.

In two weeks we're gonna celebrate a two-year hiatus anniversary!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1322
Really stretching this one, wonder if it will be a real fight or if we're gonna spend 2 months building up to a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Giving Takamura a Behelit is the exact kind of dumbassed thing I'd expect Ippo to do