Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
what mindless rhyming idiocy will they have to repeat now that Trump Has Been Stumped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

what mindless rhyming idiocy will they have to repeat now that Trump Has Been Stumped?

TAB - Take America Back. They’ll coopt the soda and get in Faygo wars with Jugglos

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Piss tape is real

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

change my name posted:

lmao at the ghostly hat

How loving terrified do you have to be for the color to drain from your hat?!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

He looks like someone's old and racist aunt.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

:smith: drat

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

A good start.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

on one hand, this really sucks

on the other other hand, ever notice fascists blow their brains out the second things don't go their way?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

As tragic as this is, at least they're taking it out on themselves instead of the population at large. Hopefully the majority of them return to some semblance of sanity though.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
God dammit, Qanon is just pure 100% gently caress up your brain juice designed to prey on the ill. I can't even pretend to callously laugh it off, it just enrages me how predatory it is. I hope the family they left behind will survive and heal somehow. :smith:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Wondering why the loss of someone who, in their perfect world, would have you detained and/or executed is worth mourning

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just be glad her kids are probably grown and moved out

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Business Gorillas posted:

Wondering why the loss of someone who, in their perfect world, would have you detained and/or executed is worth mourning

because she was probably just weird and harmless prior to qanon. I’ve seen plenty of people who were sweet-natured old cranks become vicious hateful bullies due to conspiracy theories. you can argue that the possibility was always there but in most people it would have stayed deeply buried and dormant forever.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

because she was probably just weird and harmless prior to qanon. I’ve seen plenty of people who were sweet-natured old cranks become vicious hateful bullies due to conspiracy theories. you can argue that the possibility was always there but in most people it would have stayed deeply buried and dormant forever.

Possibly, yeah, but then she decided to self radicalize into someone who thinks half the country should be executed for treason

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The problem is conspiracy theories are just so drat appealing.

The Facebook moderators hired to filter conspiracy theories had a bad habit of later believing them. These are people with at least a small amount of training and the knowledge going in that this poo poo is fake and they still fell for it. Qnon people are dangerous cranks now, but a lot of them were 'normal' at one time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That thing about repeating a lie often enough and it becomes truth? Humans are badly wired, it works even if you know what's going on.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's even a thing on SA, where tons of people critical of Qanon still believe in all kinds of wacky conspiracies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
what are they

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
JFK most prominently.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Lol.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Seems pretty settled at this point

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Possibly, yeah, but then she decided to self radicalize into someone who thinks half the country should be executed for treason

yeah i mean i don't feel bad for the people that decide to commit suicide because their god emperor trump is out of office, i feel bad for all the people they leave behind like the guy who made the reddit post in a support group for people who have lost their family to lovely youtube videos and "davinci code but everyone has a tbi" style twitter drops

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Declan MacManus posted:

"davinci code but everyone has a tbi" style twitter drops
First: LOL

Second: Your reference makes me wonder what effect the huge success of Da Vinci Code had on priming people for Qanon? Without that awful novel, would there be such a huge group of people so earger to think of the world as full of secret information about giant conspiracies that you can understand just by doing some elementary-school numerology?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

spunkshui posted:

I'm loving ready for the holidays! :chaostrump:

Some inkling of doubt weather it was all worth it is starting to creep into even the diehard trumpists.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Epstein thread kind of veered between reasonable marxism and satanic panic stuff. Some people were trolling but some were pretty clearly “trolling.”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

yeah, you mourn the person they were before they fell into conspiracy hell, not the person they became. as long as they're alive there's a chance they can pull out of it, but once they cap themselves for the god-emperor then that's it. what's really sad is that she finished life as a miserable hateful crank.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Trump voters in Pennsylvania face distress and disbelief: ‘I don’t ever remember feeling so devastated’

quote:

In McCandless, a suburb of Pittsburgh, Republican Penny Lyon has voted for countless presidential candidates who didn’t win. But the 75-year-old said the disappointment she felt Saturday over Trump’s defeat is unparalleled.

“Normally, I would think, ‘Well, that’s the way it went. The people have spoken.’ This time is different,” said Lyon, her voice cracking as she broke down in tears. “I don’t ever remember feeling so devastated. And I know I’m not alone. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way.”

Also read the story of the woman who tried to sabotage her daughter's absentee ballot because she knew her daughter was going to vote for Biden.

gently caress these people

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

FMguru posted:

Second: Your reference makes me wonder what effect the huge success of Da Vinci Code had on priming people for Qanon? Without that awful novel, would there be such a huge group of people so earger to think of the world as full of secret information about giant conspiracies that you can understand just by doing some elementary-school numerology?

qanon anonymous is a better source than i am on this stuff, but there is a deep ingrained fascination in q culture with middlebrow blockbuster entertainment (where we go one we go all is from a movie called white squall, for example), and a lot of the q stuff seems to be taken from airplane-quality lit which really appeals to people with very little imagination or too much imagination about how the world works

part of it is born from the same truth that spy thrillers and the like are born from: there are powerful agencies and forces that have a disproportionately large footprint on your life and what you do, and these agencies are effectively accountable to no one; qanon is just one especially destructive method of cope that uniquely appeals to bored suburbanites and traditional conspiracy marks

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean take Reddit posts with a grain of salt. People fake poo poo for AITA and legaladvice all the time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What I hate about all the Q people and the peodphile conspiracy people and all that is that there are real actual conspiracies and cabals trying to gently caress over the world, and they're doing it right in the open. Prop 22 in California is a great example. But all they care about is made up poo poo. I want them to be getting unhinged and wacked out and poring over the Panama Papers or what have you.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I mean take Reddit posts with a grain of salt. People fake poo poo for AITA and legaladvice all the time.

Yeah qanon casualties is blowing up and it wouldn't be the first time someone faked a tearful story for reddit points.

Not that I don't believe some Q followers are capable of it. Wasn't there an interview floating around a bit ago with a dude who said he'd take his kids out with him if Biden wins before the cabal could come for them?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What I hate about all the Q people and the peodphile conspiracy people and all that is that there are real actual conspiracies and cabals trying to gently caress over the world, and they're doing it right in the open. Prop 22 in California is a great example. But all they care about is made up poo poo. I want them to be getting unhinged and wacked out and poring over the Panama Papers or what have you.

Real stuff is boring. That's why all the conspiracy theorists went for Loose Change instead of There Were Obviously No WMDs. They want a conspiracy that makes them feel special.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So how long until 44% the country suddenly realizes the economy sucks, Covid is raging, the deficit is out of control, unemployment is high and Wall Street is ripping everyone off?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

FMguru posted:

The Protocols of the Elders of Zion were first published in 1903. Da Vinci Code was a co-morbidity, not a cause.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

BiggerBoat posted:

So how long until 44% the country suddenly realizes the economy sucks, Covid is raging, the deficit is out of control, unemployment is high and Wall Street is ripping everyone off?

73 days, give or take.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

wizzardstaff posted:

73 days, give or take.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah, you mourn the person they were before they fell into conspiracy hell, not the person they became. as long as they're alive there's a chance they can pull out of it, but once they cap themselves for the god-emperor then that's it. what's really sad is that she finished life as a miserable hateful crank.

ok this is a much more reasonable take

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

The Protocols of the Elders of Zion were first published in 1903. Da Vinci Code was a co-morbidity, not a cause.

I think the Da Vinci Code, the X-files, etc. lent conspiracy-mongering a degree of legitimacy and the perception that it was a kind of harmless quackery. When in truth your aunt the UFOlogist is primed to accept QAnon bullshit and already in a community of people who are also primed for that.

OTOH, facebook made containing the spread impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't forget about our good friends lead poisoning and endemic alcoholism!