Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TASER BALLS
This poll is closed.
TASER BALLS 420 85.89%
TASER BALLS 69 14.11%
Total: 489 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Dolphin posted:

i would code but it would take away from the time i spend doing other things that come up day to day

if you get good enough at coding that would theoretically horseshoe around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Mirthless posted:

I worked for one of the largest midstream O&G companies in the united states and we could almost never get qualified techs, we'd usually only have one per region and like, you're talking one dude for the entire permian basin, one dude for the entire eagleford basin, and they took turns flying out to the bakken when problems developed. It sucked for us because our response time on field issues was absolutely awful and it sucked for our techs because they were traveling like 70-80% of the time or more

we'd almost always have three open slots and it'd almost always just be a trickle of apps from oil field workers trying to get out of the fields, any of those guys with a little proficiency with computers could easily get those jobs, but those people were pretty few and far between. I think if we put a lot more investment into, say, municipal broadband companies and the like we could probably see a pretty big spike in prosperity in places like, say, Midland or Odessa, where literally billions of dollars of oil flow through every day but people live in shacks on gennies

See like I'd quit my cushy computer toucher job in a major urban center to move to a smaller area for a stable position deploying/maintaining communications or renewables infrastructure in like 5 seconds. Like I really want to work for a solar or geothermal company in some capacity. REALLY hoping Biden does better than dognald on this poo poo.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Mirthless posted:

I worked for one of the largest midstream O&G companies in the united states and we could almost never get qualified techs, we'd usually only have one per region and like, you're talking one dude for the entire permian basin, one dude for the entire eagleford basin, and they took turns flying out to the bakken when problems developed. It sucked for us because our response time on field issues was absolutely awful and it sucked for our techs because they were traveling like 70-80% of the time or more

we'd almost always have three open slots and it'd almost always just be a trickle of apps from oil field workers trying to get out of the fields, any of those guys with a little proficiency with computers could easily get those jobs, but those people were pretty few and far between. I think if we put a lot more investment into, say, municipal broadband companies and the like we could probably see a pretty big spike in prosperity in places like, say, Midland or Odessa, where literally billions of dollars of oil flow through every day but people live in shacks on gennies

yeah midstream is behind the curve. BASF and Dow and DuPont dropped millions of dollars into community colleges near their manufacturing hubs because of the skills gap. As much as this "skills gap" is a lazy term broadly it's def true for some job types. People who graduate from these colleges with an Associate's immediately make $24/hr in a union role and that hourly wage goes up to the high 30s within 5 years or so

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dolphin posted:

my fridge randomly stopped working last night and so I've been having a really rough time eating all this food i am so full ugh

does anyone know how long condiments will keep? I'm assuming my tartar sauce is going to have to be thrown

put your poo poo in a box and the gas station will let you put it in the cooler for a bit not your actual poo poo

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!
King poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2w72KAkQQ

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/roun_sa_ville/status/1324786225765601280

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CredulousAtBest posted:

I would code but aside from some simple python I'm dumb as a rock

The main thing that stops people is believing that anyone knows what they're doing or that code can be good. Techbros are like they are because they were dumb enough to believe they could do it so they did.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Next-Gen posted:

gently caress yeah the new total landscaping gangtag owns crusader

np

so people who asked but have one of the big pulp avatars... as i am not a mod im not sure if i can add the gangtag in a way that wouldn't obliterate your nice sci-fi pictures

if a mod or ik would like to start handing out the tag i am fine with that tho

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
I....have upgraded

ty crusader you are a bro :hf:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MadJackal posted:

I think I'm going to keep my twitter feed just as it is, with the content naturally tapering off rather than pruning off all the poll stuff.

But I also I kinda want to tell Nate Silver to take a couple days off and shut his jizz-flecked mouth for two whole seconds instead of spouting off about the difficulties of polling low income PoCs who support TRSUMP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:yikes:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/HabonDaud/status/1325142108093624324

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

trrrrrrrruuuupppppompopopoppoopooopppopppo

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

emfive posted:

yea agreed. There was a good presentation last year at Strange Loop about how nobody knows anything about teaching programming. edit oh also it was about how programmers are assholes

The Silicon Valley "oh just go out and explore on your own" pretty much does not work for the vast majority of people because as you said it's a weird and abnormal way of thinking. I mean, people *can* learn but it's hard and honestly if I wasn't such a weirdo there's no way I could "like" it as a pursuit. It's frustrating and tedious, like having your job be filling in 8ft by 8ft crossword puzzles day after day.

Yeah and like even if you are in that mindset it's still really hard to do complicated technical stuff starting out. Thinking back to how my first couple of years in IT went: I almost tapped out on the whole experience to become an OTR trucker

I get a lot of weird satisfaction out of what I do, but I also know the main reason that I have a job, as an advanced computer-toucher, is because the majority of people get so loving frustrated when an error message comes up or outlook crashes that they cannot possibly read instructions or sort through settings in menus and I literally cannot imagine any of these people doing what I do

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elephanthead posted:

put your poo poo in a box and the gas station will let you put it in the cooler for a bit not your actual poo poo
I'm actually not allowed in to circle k anymore because i used the bathroom too much. it's fine though, I'm almost done with the food i just have potstickers and some onions left to eat

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

shovelbum posted:

Like I think you could make someone a coder more easily than you can turn them into the last resort field service hired gun

programming education is such a wasteland because it's filled with self actualization bullshit so it ends up just being making people memorize the latest frameworks and patterns people like so nobody understands the methodology of design or logic

you end up with a cascading stratification of programmers each on a different stack of technology and nobody willing to plan out your architecture for change over time or go back and update it as your needs change

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/politics/andrew-yang-moving-atlanta-help-democrats-win-senate-runoffs/BTGI65ATNZHTJMJWFXRLAZV4HU/

quote:

Former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang announced Sunday that he will be moving to Georgia to help Democrats clinch two crucial Senate runoffs in January.

The 45-year-old entrepreneur from New York made the announcement on Twitter, saying the best way to help President-Elect Joe Biden is to get him a Democratic Senate.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean I'm not actually banned from circle k but the guy made me feel awkward

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.

Salt Fish posted:

The main thing that stops people is believing that anyone knows what they're doing or that code can be good. Techbros are like they are because they were dumb enough to believe they could do it so they did.

:hmmyes:

I must try to remember. trump was president

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/nasboat5000/status/1325278047117963265

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

shyduck posted:

trrrrrrrruuuupppppompopopoppoopooopppopppo

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1320833481539276802?s=20

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Now is when we get punished trump. Unshackled from public opinion or bureaucratic intransigence

Update: Trump has pooped his pants. Refuses to let Kushner clean it up, stating “The poopy is mine. Not yours.” CNN has confirmed it’s his poopy.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

I don’t understand computer touching but every programmer I know smokes shatter like 8 times a day so I assume being high as balls is a requirement.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Dolphin posted:

I'm actually not allowed in to circle k anymore because i used the bathroom too much. it's fine though, I'm almost done with the food i just have potstickers and some onions left to eat

one big boring gimmick

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Next-Gen posted:

programming education is such a wasteland because it's filled with self actualization bullshit so it ends up just being making people memorize the latest frameworks and patterns people like so nobody understands the methodology of design or logic

you end up with a cascading stratification of programmers each on a different stack of technology and nobody willing to plan out your architecture for change over time or go back and update it as your needs change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ib43q3uXQ <-- this was good

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Crusader posted:

np

so people who asked but have one of the big pulp avatars... as i am not a mod im not sure if i can add the gangtag in a way that wouldn't obliterate your nice sci-fi pictures

if a mod or ik would like to start handing out the tag i am fine with that tho

im babby and have no idea how this stuff works - can i request that tag, or what's the process?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Dolphin posted:

i mean I'm not actually banned from circle k but the guy made me feel awkward

That is a rough clarification to have to make

The Saucer Hovers posted:

one big boring gimmick

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lmao

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

shovelbum posted:

Like I think you could make someone a coder more easily than you can turn them into the last resort field service hired gun

A field service technician's main job is to plug things into other things, receive packages, and drive around. The pay generally starts at about $20.

A coder has no defined job role, will need to relearn everything they know in any new environment, will be doing everything in a sitting position, and the pay generally starts at about 13.50

Programming outside of Silicon Valley sucks the big fat one and there are almost no jobs anyway. If you teach somebody in Bumfuck West Virginia how to code the only option they have is remote work jobs where they're competing with people from overseas, who are much better at coding than they are

edit: to be fair to FSTs I know they do a loving ton and I am way simplifying that job but having the full support of a helpdesk generally comes with the FST job and I helped a lot of dudes with no technical skill make their first steps into a really, really good career. These are the kinds of jobs that should be getting emphasized, they're good middle class labor jobs with measurable work and steady pay in a market that badly, badly needs more bodies

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Nov 8, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

and we're all out of lemons

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

magiccarpet posted:

the kim guillfoyle sexpest story came out like one hour before trump got corona
i think the melania xmas tape came out that day too. it was wild

I want to say news came out about Guillfoyle being a sexpest when she originally left Fox News to become part of the Trump coterie, and that was well over a year ago.

If Bitchell forsakes his strong daddy, it will truly be the endtimes as the MAGA ground game will be lost forever with him.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

I’ve been begging the party to let me help them for two years. That’s also the drat thing of it. I’ve been trying to help. Before the election, I offered to help every single swing district Democrat with their operation. And every single one of them, but five, refused my help. And all five of the vulnerable or swing district people that I helped secured victory or are on a path to secure victory. And every single one that rejected my help is losing. And now they’re blaming us for their loss.

So I need my colleagues to understand that we are not the enemy. And that their base is not the enemy. That the Movement for Black Lives is not the enemy, that Medicare for all is not the enemy. This isn’t even just about winning an argument. It’s that if they keep going after the wrong thing, I mean, they’re just setting up their own obsolescence.

lol the left is the enemy of the democrats, because republicans are now fascists and the democrats are now the old republicans

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

speng31b posted:

I also think learning to code is one of those things that's better if you start young. Anecdote but I had one boss years ago whose claim to fame was that he taught himself to code in his 40s and he was the absolute worst computer toucher I have ever met. Just dogshit.

i think learning how computers work young helps a lot more than actually learning to code young. i learned later than most but i had a background in all of the surrounding skills simply because being on the internet in the early 2000s, getting pirated games and mods to work, just knowing enough to keep the drat thing running instead of bluescreening, etc. all instilled a lot of knowledge about how the cursed machines function

and having taught kids to code, the ones who have actual PCs at home instead of just an ipad or whatever and that have done computer toucher adjacent things, even very simple things like learning about files and folders, acclimate themselves to the actual coding a lot quicker no matter their native talent. on the other hand some kids start from 0 and end up very skilled.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

biglads posted:

and we're all out of lemons

too many parties

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Basically as far as I can tell the first step to learning to program is to get a job programming by lying on your resume.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!

hahah

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i guess i juiced it a bit too much

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Squizzle posted:

after sean connery was gone, he had no reason to live

Laughed out loud IRL, was asked "what" by my partner, now am stuck having to explain an old SNL skit

Curse you Squizzle!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
you thought you had all the answers but you didnt have an answer for cancer. suck it trebek.