Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/manic_pixi_meme/status/1324565883591667712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love this lady

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's a very good tat.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it seems kinda weird that troi can just go like. hm i wanna be a commander now. and then shes a commander a few weeks later. why didn't worf try this trick

edit: more seriously, why didn't data do it? hasnt he been in starfleet for a real long time

edit2: data had been a lieutenant commander for one year fewer than troi had been out of the academy! what the heck star fleet.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 8, 2020

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I thought Worf torpedoed his own career like 20 times and Data didn't want to be a commander.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Verviticus posted:

it seems kinda weird that troi can just go like. hm i wanna be a commander now. and then shes a commander a few weeks later. why didn't worf try this trick

edit: more seriously, why didn't data do it? hasnt he been in starfleet for a real long time

edit2: data had been a lieutenant commander for one year fewer than troi had been out of the academy! what the heck star fleet.

the novels have it that the reason data was totally unsocialized coming aboard the enterprise was that he was basically treated as a paperpusherrobot aboard his previous post

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I thought Worf torpedoed his own career like 20 times and Data didn't want to be a commander.
On DS9 Worf gets into serious trouble multiple times and I guess it didn’t matter in the long run

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I will never not laugh at Odo reading the list of security gently caress ups on the Enterprise to Worf.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

HD DAD posted:

I will never not laugh at Odo reading the list of security gently caress ups on the Enterprise to Worf.

The way that Odo pronounces "Berlinghoff Rasmussen" is fantastic

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

It's the grin and that the padd is within arm's reach. Odo has been waiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhgEGeKcbo

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FlamingLiberal posted:

On DS9 Worf gets into serious trouble multiple times and I guess it didn’t matter in the long run

I don't remember Sisko continuing to groom him for command after he let that defector die to save his wife, but it's been a while since I watched everything through in order.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The_Doctor posted:

It's the grin and that the padd is within arm's reach. Odo has been waiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhgEGeKcbo

You know the second Worf came aboard Odo took the time to compile a list of things to own him with. He has a stack of them, one for each member of the crew.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't remember Sisko continuing to groom him for command after he let that defector die to save his wife, but it's been a while since I watched everything through in order.
He basically told him that any chance of him getting a command was gone with that move, while also agreeing that he did the right thing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tunicate posted:

the novels have it that the reason data was totally unsocialized coming aboard the enterprise was that he was basically treated as a paperpusherrobot aboard his previous post

"Here on the Enterprise, we're going to treat you like any other member of the crew."
"Thank you, Captain. Just so you know, there are three remote hacking attempts currently against my positronic brain, someone deleted vital memories and replaced them with an override switch to a kill mode, I can snap apart any of your bones with the merest engagement of my servos, and my optical sensors detect your rising fear."
"Well... excellent."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

You know the second Worf came aboard Odo took the time to compile a list of things to own him with. He has a stack of them, one for each member of the crew.

I wonder if he has one that you can use to own himself with, just like Batman's Justice League contingencies.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So I finished both parts of Redemption earlier today, I forgot how much I enjoy Gowron as a character. It says a lot about Robert O'Reilly's performance that even in full make up you are always looking at his eyes not the forehead. And it is really entertaining to watch Gowron's mood constantly shifting from angry drunk and to happy drunk during conversations and it really comes through in his body language and the tone of his voice, which does some much to distinguish Gowron from the Viking/Bushido/Biker that most actors play when they are cast as Klingons.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 8, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Robert O'Reilly wanted everyone to truly experience Bij, and we are all better for it as a result.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's also very good on DS9, where it's obvious he's way more of a politician than anything else

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's also very good on DS9, where it's obvious he's way more of a politician than anything else

At the outbreak of the Klingon Civil War his Vor'cha gets jumped by three Birds of Prey and he can't handle them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Noodle Incident posted:

Clearly the answer is Tuvix wants to live, so you take that as one vote for him, then ask Tuvok and Neelix after they have been split. Tuvok would agree that it makes more logical sense to have Tuvix and would probably die to kill Neelix, so that's two out of three votes for Tuvix and they just need to recombine them. Then just start combining other crewmembers at random to save on supplies.

Imagine being the poor bastard selected for combination with Harry.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Noodle Incident posted:

Clearly the answer is Tuvix wants to live, so you take that as one vote for him, then ask Tuvok and Neelix after they have been split. Tuvok would agree that it makes more logical sense to have Tuvix and would probably die to kill Neelix, so that's two out of three votes for Tuvix and they just need to recombine them. Then just start combining other crewmembers at random to save on supplies.
Why not just keep going? Combine Janeweven and Pim to make Jevim, etc. Eventually you end up combining every member of the crew* into one body. Stick 'em in a stasis pod in a chamber made of whatever the hell material they used to block a multi-megaton antimatter explosion six feet away in Discovery, stick holo-emitters in strategic rooms and have emergency holograms run everything, then run like poo poo for the Alpha Quadrant.

*Except, ironically, Neelix, because everyone goes "I'm not combining with Chef Paedo!"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

V-Men posted:

At the outbreak of the Klingon Civil War his Vor'cha gets jumped by three Birds of Prey and he can't handle them.

To be fair so did Picard in Yesterday's Enterprise. Also took the Enterprise vs two Warbirds from "how'd you like to die today?" to "Tomalak will remember you've done this"

It is funny though how when Picard is asked to choose the next Klingon leader Worf (eventually) kills both of them and installs someone more worthy.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 8, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

To be fair so did Picard in Yesterday's Enterprise. Also took the Enterprise vs two Warbirds from "how'd you like to die today?" to "Tomalak will remember you've done this"

It is funny though how when Picard is asked to choose the next Klingon leader Worf (eventually) kills both of them and installs someone more worthy.

In fairness to Jean-Luc, Martok wasn't presented as an option, and he likely wasn't particularly political at the time.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

A.o.D. posted:

In fairness to Jean-Luc, Martok wasn't presented as an option, and he likely wasn't particularly political at the time.

poo poo, Martok tried turning it down even when someone gave him the job.

Besides, can you imagine if Picard would have picked anyone other than the two finalists? They had a civil war just because Picard didn't give the position to a dead guy's illegitimate tween.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Rewatched a few TOS season 3 episodes, and with hindsight it's interesting to see how Roddenberry's desire to make the crew interactions more realistically formal and military (after S2 loosened things up far more than he liked) made the show stiff and impersonal in a way the franchise never would go again. TV viewers would far rather watch a workplace family than a group of stern professionals, who knew?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Payndz posted:

Rewatched a few TOS season 3 episodes, and with hindsight it's interesting to see how Roddenberry's desire to make the crew interactions more realistically formal and military (after S2 loosened things up far more than he liked) made the show stiff and impersonal in a way the franchise never would go again. TV viewers would far rather watch a workplace family than a group of stern professionals, who knew?
Someone can correct me, but I believe in Season 3 Fred Freiberger had way more involvement than Roddenberry did

IMO I think the budget was a big problem with Season 3. Some of the scripts are decent on paper, but they didn't have the money to flesh out what was planned.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone can correct me, but I believe in Season 3 Fred Freiberger had way more involvement than Roddenberry did

IMO I think the budget was a big problem with Season 3. Some of the scripts are decent on paper, but they didn't have the money to flesh out what was planned.

They were obviously saving the money for Best of Both Worlds.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fred Freiberger was the day-to-day producer but Roddenberry was still involved, such as forcing the creation of the Vulcan IDIC medallion so he could sell replicas through Lincoln Enterprises, and writing Turnabout Intruder (loving yikes).

And, yes, the budget was very severely cut. In Inside Star Trek, Bob Justman says, "We almost had the money to do a really good radio show."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes when I saw the 'written by' credit for Gene on 'Turnabout Intruder', everything made more sense

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm watching Voyager for the first time since it originally aired. Caretaker wasn't too bad, but painfully 90s at times. Sadly a character from another Trek show was the best part of the episode.

One thing that really stuck out to me was Paris making weird "Indian" jokes about Chakotay at the end. Like if he saves his life he owes him a blood debt. Then he asks him if he knows any Indian tricks like turning into a bird. What the actual gently caress Voyager writers.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

They were obviously saving the money for Best of Both Worlds.

TOS, not TNG

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm watching Voyager for the first time since it originally aired. Caretaker wasn't too bad, but painfully 90s at times. Sadly a character from another Trek show was the best part of the episode.

One thing that really stuck out to me was Paris making weird "Indian" jokes about Chakotay at the end. Like if he saves his life he owes him a blood debt. Then he asks him if he knows any Indian tricks like turning into a bird. What the actual gently caress Voyager writers.

If you weren’t aware Voyager hired a Native American advisor who was very much not an actual Native American as an advisor for Chakotay’s character. Though that likely wasn’t the only problem.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kibayasu posted:

If you weren’t aware Voyager hired a Native American advisor who was very much not an actual Native American as an advisor for Chakotay’s character. Though that likely wasn’t the only problem.

Jamake Highwater was a known fraud when Voyager hired him. Turns out Rick Berman had previously worked with him and that's why he got the job anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmUTIp9BOs

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Freiberger was running the show on a day-to-day basis, but Roddenberry was still technically his boss when he deigned to involve himself. I think it's described in The 50 Year Voyage; Roddenberry took a backseat in season 2 to work on some other project, and when he came back was irked that in his absence the Enterprise crew had become more casual and less military (ie, interacting like friends rather than work colleagues in a strict hierarchy). So he mandated more formality, especially from Kirk - calling Scotty "Engineer", things like that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

8one6 posted:

Jamake Highwater was a known fraud when Voyager hired him. Turns out Rick Berman had previously worked with him and that's why he got the job anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmUTIp9BOs

lmao incredible

2nd and 3rd episodes of vger weren't great. iirc the 2nd one was the last we ever hear of any conflict between the maquis and starfleet crew. It's so loving dumb that there was literally zero issue with them all putting on starfleet uniforms and obeying orders. 3rd episode had an alien clock that uses Arabic numerals. I already hate Neelix, he's just completely useless and obnoxious.

Honestly this is just making me want to rewatch DS9.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Payndz posted:

Why not just keep going? Combine Janeweven and Pim to make Jevim, etc. Eventually you end up combining every member of the crew* into one body. Stick 'em in a stasis pod in a chamber made of whatever the hell material they used to block a multi-megaton antimatter explosion six feet away in Discovery, stick holo-emitters in strategic rooms and have emergency holograms run everything, then run like poo poo for the Alpha Quadrant.

*Except, ironically, Neelix, because everyone goes "I'm not combining with Chef Paedo!"

In all fairness, this is a pretty good episode of Voyager. The one where Seven and the Doctor basically run the ship because they're running through some kind nebula that would instakill everyone and somehow Voyager has enough stasis pods for everyone on board.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, it was some radioactive stretch of space that would kill all organic life and Seven could deal with it because of her Borg implants. Everybody else went nighty night.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

V-Men posted:

In all fairness, this is a pretty good episode of Voyager. The one where Seven and the Doctor basically run the ship because they're running through some kind nebula that would instakill everyone and somehow Voyager has enough stasis pods for everyone on board.

You can retrofit a photon torpedo tube to make one, and they had loads of those spare

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Technowolf posted:

TOS, not TNG

doh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

V-Men posted:

I just realized ENT re-used this idea, right down to the ship's doctor and "sex-appeal" character being the two left running the ship. Only with a kind-of-great twist that it was only the doctor the whole time.