Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly, dealing with the pain of swapping focus between windows is a big part of the reason I do 90% console gaming these days.

Control changes to the display resolution every time I alt-tab back :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

I kind of wish SSDs had never become the standard so nerds like me could just enjoy super fast load times forever. It is kind of funny that fast load times are THE big feature I've seen hyped for the new consoles.

AAA game developers are bad and it's great that people still push really hard for technological standards to become the new norm just so they can be poo poo on all over again. SSD becomes standard? Enjoy your slow loading times on fast disks now that they can "take advantage of the fast loading times the SSD offers". Hard drive space expands to TBs after years of complaints about space limitations being the key factor in why games suck? Enjoy Call of Duty being The One Game you can install now because devs have stopped optimizing their games and will just let their poo poo bloat forever, hope you don't have any kind of internet caps because it's going to take you hours to download any popular release! Even graphics have this problem where people demand games reach 4k resolution and they sure do; but everything else about their performance suffers so a lot of modern games, especially but not exclusively, on the console will struggle to maintain a steady fps or do anything but make for pretty landscapes if you're standing still.

Burn down the industry.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Dark Souls 2 really perfected the healing mechanics.

Refillable Estus from DS1, but you got less uses initially, but also consumable health items, as you professed you found supplies of bigger ones to heal more.

And I liked the trade-off in how they worked...Estus is a long animation, but heals fast. The lifegems were quick to activate, but their healing was slow.

But then DS 3 went back to just Estus (I think?) And Bloodborne went back to just consumable, like Demon's Souls, but then also limited the amount too can carry for some reason.
3's solution was to basically just make your healing heal you a lot and start healing you instantly but fill your bar somewhat slowly over time (but not as slow as DS2) which means in most situations you can just kind of face tank through virtually any situation that doesn't one shot you by just standing in front of it and hitting your estus because very few things can stunlock you faster than you can trigger the healing part of the animation, or outdamage the healing rate. Unless, again, it's going to one shot you or take you out in like two fast hits.

Combine that with how rolling and 3's super fast stamina works and a lot of people came away just kind of not liking 3 for PVP because everyone felt too invincible. Not everyone of course because it had a pretty robust PVP community and still does. But there's a good reason why there are still people playing dark souls 2 online.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I really don't think load times are that big a deal. The longest load time I've seen in a console game is maybe two minutes at the most in God of War, that initial boot-up load that you only have to do once when starting it up. A game making you sit through multiple loading screens at a time to get to the gameplay is an issue with that game or game engine and the way it was programmed, not an issue with load times as a concept. See Ghost of Tsushima for how currently existing tech can be utilized to basically eliminate loading in game genres where it's most prevalent (open world or otherwise free-exploration).

This sudden hard push against load times is imo because this coming console generation doesn't have a leg to stand on from a tech improvement standpoint: 4K60 is not feasible yet, and for some dumb reason 1440p as a milestone was never on the table, so... load times??

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Nov 8, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Refillable Estus from DS1, but you got less uses initially, but also consumable health items, as you professed you found supplies of bigger ones to heal more.

And I liked the trade-off in how they worked...Estus is a long animation, but heals fast. The lifegems were quick to activate, but their healing was slow.

But then DS 3 went back to just Estus (I think?) And Bloodborne went back to just consumable, like Demon's Souls, but then also limited the amount too can carry for some reason.

Bloodborne requiring you to find/buy blood vials was stupid but I think only letting you carry a limited amount makes sense. They were big fast heals to suit the pace of the game, so if you could bring 500 to a fight you could just brute force any encounter in the game by farming vials for an hour first.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

Bloodborne requiring you to find/buy blood vials was stupid but I think only letting you carry a limited amount makes sense. They were big fast heals to suit the pace of the game, so if you could bring 500 to a fight you could just brute force any encounter in the game by farming vials for an hour first.

Yeah it would have been fine if they always started you at X no matter how many you had on you and were able to find more as you went. The extra could end up on your body and be a thing you recover after death

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm playing a generic room escape game from Steam called Escapeworld Dilemma, its puzzles haven't been too bad so far. Some nice hints left in game, and generally speaking the puzzles follow a progression that takes one concept and complicates to a point that feels challenging but not frustrating. So far it has been mixing colors and recognizing patterns/sequences relating to the colors. Its perfect chillout weekend stuff, sorta like an amateur version of The Witness
Except im now stuck, and also apparently the only motherfucker playing this game because there are no guides, no walk through, not even Joe schmoe making YouTube videos. I've spent an hour trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do and I cannot! :mad:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Personally I really don't think load times are that big a deal. The longest load time I've seen in a console game is maybe two minutes at the most in God of War, that initial boot-up load that you only have to do once when starting it up. A game making you sit through multiple loading screens at a time to get to the gameplay is an issue with that game or game engine and the way it was programmed, not an issue with load times as a concept. See Ghost of Tsushima for how currently existing tech can be utilized to basically eliminate loading in game genres where it's most prevalent (open world or otherwise free-exploration).

This sudden hard push against load times is imo because this coming console generation doesn't have a leg to stand on from a tech improvement standpoint: 4K60 is not feasible yet, and for some dumb reason 1440p as a milestone was never on the table, so... load times??

You should've seen bloodbornes load times at launch. Full three minutes if you died, they didn't even have tips to read at launch

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I remember it being slow but I don't think it was 3 minutes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gaius Marius posted:

You should've seen bloodbornes load times at launch. Full three minutes if you died, they didn't even have tips to read at launch

No way, it was like a minute or two at most. Crappy for a game where death is so frequent, but again, something to be solved at game-engine-level, not entire-console-level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn3eqYD4wYQ

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

That was basically the entire concept of the estus flask in the first place. Unlimited healing is too easy, but farming for consumables sucks. So here's your fixed supply of healing you can upgrade over time so it keeps pace with your improved stats. Which, in part, is why falling back on limited consumables that you have to farm (that still have an arbitrary limit) feels so out of place.

CJacobs posted:

Personally I really don't think load times are that big a deal.

Personally I don't think non-stylized graphics are a big deal, but a lot of people disagree with me. Some people care about things you don't, it might surprise you to learn.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

Personally I don't think non-stylized graphics are a big deal, but a lot of people disagree with me. Some people care about things you don't, it might surprise you to learn.

Okay then, let me rephrase. It's not a big deal and people could stand to have more patience in less than egregious cases- certainly not something to push as a selling point of your games console because load times already are pretty short in properly optimized games. That's what I was really trying to say.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Okay then, let me rephrase. It's not a big deal and people could stand to have more patience in less than egregious cases- certainly not something to push as a selling point of your games console. That's what I was really trying to say.

Now you're just repeating yourself, because you're not the person who gets to decide what matters to other people.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

Now you're just repeating yourself, because you're not the person who gets to decide what matters to other people.

I have no idea what you want from me. I said "in my opinion it's not a big deal" and then provided direct examples of why I feel that way. Other human beings on this earth have the right to agree or disagree with me, I didn't think I needed to directly state that because that's how an internet forum works.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

I remember it being slow but I don't think it was 3 minutes

3 minutes sounds high but it was definitely bad enough to effect the way I played the game. I'd avoid leveling up or teleporting to a new area until it became unavoidable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

3 minutes sounds high but it was definitely bad enough to effect the way I played the game. I'd avoid leveling up or teleporting to a new area until it became unavoidable.

Oh yeah it was not great, but 3 minutes definitely isn't right

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

That was basically the entire concept of the estus flask in the first place. Unlimited healing is too easy, but farming for consumables sucks. So here's your fixed supply of healing you can upgrade over time so it keeps pace with your improved stats. Which, in part, is why falling back on limited consumables that you have to farm (that still have an arbitrary limit) feels so out of place.

I was mainly just pointing out that unlike Demon's Souls grass or DS2 lifestones blood vials were both big and very fast so it would mess up the game balance if you could carry around a massive pile of them. I have no idea why they didn't just have them regenerate like estus, though. Maybe they just made them different for the sake of being different. It's funny because once you're good at the game farming them is a non-issue so it mainly punishes people who are already struggling.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
GTA V Online on PC is the uncontested king of load times. poo poo is so long it's not even worth keeping installed

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I forget if it was this thread or a different one that was talking about fall damage, but man its implementation feels weird in AC Odyssey. You take damage based on height but I don't think it can ever actually kill you, just take out your health bar at most. But your health regen out of combat is so fast, it doesn't even matter. I've never been in active engagement with enemies when I do that, so it's completely trivial. You even unlock a power to negate it anyway a ways into the game, it feels like it just exists because games have fall damage.
At least it makes for some funny moments where you and/or your horse can just pancake yourself off the world's tallest cliffs without any major downside (I guess technically your horse does die, but it quickly recovers)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

thecluckmeme posted:

I'm playing a generic room escape game from Steam called Escapeworld Dilemma, its puzzles haven't been too bad so far. Some nice hints left in game, and generally speaking the puzzles follow a progression that takes one concept and complicates to a point that feels challenging but not frustrating. So far it has been mixing colors and recognizing patterns/sequences relating to the colors. Its perfect chillout weekend stuff, sorta like an amateur version of The Witness
Except im now stuck, and also apparently the only motherfucker playing this game because there are no guides, no walk through, not even Joe schmoe making YouTube videos. I've spent an hour trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do and I cannot! :mad:

Welcome to my world - the world of looking for a walkthrough for a game I'm playing only to realise literally no one else has beaten the game before me and I'm completely on my own. I like the feeling though, it feels very explorative, like I'm a pioneer.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

GTA V Online on PC is the uncontested king of load times. poo poo is so long it's not even worth keeping installed

Skyrim on the 360 is what made me get tired of load times. Should I have waited until 150ish hours to do the thieves guild restoration? Probably not, but it was six to eight load screens per mission at that point, and I had to do twenty of them. Load times were nearly two minutes every single time.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Welcome to my world - the world of looking for a walkthrough for a game I'm playing only to realise literally no one else has beaten the game before me and I'm completely on my own. I like the feeling though, it feels very explorative, like I'm a pioneer.

That's what happens when you will the game into being from the firmament, though, not sure it applies to anyone else.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly, dealing with the pain of swapping focus between windows is a big part of the reason I do 90% console gaming these days. The constant small pain of swapping in and out of the game adds up over time, it's especially annoying for all the games that pause in place with the last quarter-second of audio looping endlessly.

So just role play that you're on a console and don't press alt-tab? IDGI.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cage posted:

I've seen full lobbies of C class cars ever since it showed up on game pass or whatever its called. Try different car classes online.

Racing garbage tier cars is more fun online. In the high end lmp/tourers most casual players (me included) don't have the skill to keep them on the road so everyone misses braking points/crashes etc. Slower cars that people can control produce better races online.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Eh, DS2's approach did have some cracks. The fact that only basic life gems were in infinite supply from a vendor was kinda meh. Though on the flipside more powerful gems actually heal even slower but heal more raw health. Which isn't a bad thing on its own but I think it added some unnecessary complexity to a system that already added additional complexity to healing. Also between being able to comfortably keep a big stash of gems in your pocket and the small area sizes it was easy to reach a point where you just never die except to extraordinary bullshit, doubly so once your estus is upgraded. Like honestly I think on some level DS1 would work better with 2's healing system and 2 with 1's system.

Worth noting Sekiro has both a (single) long-term regen buff item and an estus flask analogue, so they did come back to the idea eventually. Seems to fit the pace well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game doesn't tell you this, but Lifegems can be stacked three-ish at a time with no penalty, even ones of the same type. One basic Lifegem heals 500 HP over 11 seconds (45 HP/second), so stacking three would instead be 1500 HP over 11 seconds (135 HP/second). Higher grade Lifegems heal you for more HP over more time but the HP/second gain is actually the same- the highest tier for example heals 1300 HP over 29 seconds, which is still 45 HP/second.

The higher grade Lifegems are where the real downside appears: They cease healing when your HP reaches the maximum even if you're damaged again while they WOULD still be in effect, so stacking them like this will heal you very fast at the expense of wasting some of their potential HP regen. There's actually not much point in using the high grade ones, as you can heal just as much total HP as a big one in a third of the time by popping three small ones, as long as you've got breathing room to do so.

edit: Fun fact, the stacking ability allows you to survive several DOT effects that are intended to kill you straight away like the fire in the Iron Keep. By keeping your HP below the maximum you can survive standing in fire or lava, carefully stacking enough Lifegems to keep your HP regenerating as fast as it's being drained. I think DS3 fixes this by making it so you take more damage the longer you stand in lava? There's a Limit Breakers video about it either way.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Nov 9, 2020

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I really wanted to like Eastshade, but for a game about art, it's ugly as sin. The landscapes are flat and dull, and the NPCs are creepy, disgusting humanoid ape creatures. It has the atmosphere of a horror game.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Nostradingus posted:

The landscapes are flat and dull, and the NPCs are creepy, disgusting humanoid ape creatures.

Turn on your computer monitor.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
All games that aren't "always on" like MMOs should have the thing where after loading it essentially pauses so you have to then press a key to actually get into the game once it's done loading - but particularly if they're a game where you aren't always loading into 'safe' areas.

If you're playing something with long load times (for example, because it's at the limit of what your PC can run), it really sucks if you can't do anything else while it's loading or step away to grab something because you don't know if you'll load and then be in combat seconds later if you dare leave the room, so you're stuck staring at a loading screen. Before my last major PC upgrade, I had five minute load times in games I could (just) run, and sitting there just waiting because you couldn't remember what kind of situation you'd saved in was extremely dull, but as soon as it was loaded you'd drop straight into the world.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Danger - Octopus! posted:

All games that aren't "always on" like MMOs should have the thing where after loading it essentially pauses so you have to then press a key to actually get into the game once it's done loading - but particularly if they're a game where you aren't always loading into 'safe' areas.

If you're playing something with long load times (for example, because it's at the limit of what your PC can run), it really sucks if you can't do anything else while it's loading or step away to grab something because you don't know if you'll load and then be in combat seconds later if you dare leave the room, so you're stuck staring at a loading screen. Before my last major PC upgrade, I had five minute load times in games I could (just) run, and sitting there just waiting because you couldn't remember what kind of situation you'd saved in was extremely dull, but as soon as it was loaded you'd drop straight into the world.

Are you still using a platter drive instead of a solid state drive? SSDs are so much cheaper now and the biggest impact you can make on your load times. Switching to those was the best computer upgrade I ever made.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Getting kinda tired of the mercenaries system in AC Odyssey. It's not bad in principle, but it feels way more active than I expected, like I'm dealing with them every couple fights, and they're generally what slows the fights down a lot. At the very least it'd be nice if they weren't so locked into completing the encounters if you remove the bounties. I even killed the sponsor just as a merc walked up, I was hoping he'd just be like "oh, uh.......huh" and turn around to leave, but nope.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Getting kinda tired of the mercenaries system in AC Odyssey. It's not bad in principle, but it feels way more active than I expected, like I'm dealing with them every couple fights, and they're generally what slows the fights down a lot. At the very least it'd be nice if they weren't so locked into completing the encounters if you remove the bounties. I even killed the sponsor just as a merc walked up, I was hoping he'd just be like "oh, uh.......huh" and turn around to leave, but nope.

Its easier to just pay off the bounty then tracking down the sponsor. Especially as the game goes and those assholes start showing up 2-3 at a time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

Its easier to just pay off the bounty then tracking down the sponsor. Especially as the game goes and those assholes start showing up 2-3 at a time.

Yeah that's my usual plan, but I forget to do it half the time until they actively show up in battle, and then it's too late.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah that's my usual plan, but I forget to do it half the time until they actively show up in battle, and then it's too late.

See, peole complain but this just proves that the Baby Mario wail in Yoshi's Island is perfect and more games should copy it.

Bet you won't forget to deal with those mercenaries when they're all screaming like banshees the whole time they're looking for you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

I really wanted to like Eastshade, but for a game about art, it's ugly as sin. The landscapes are flat and dull, and the NPCs are creepy, disgusting humanoid ape creatures. It has the atmosphere of a horror game.

Im in a similar boat. It feels like an oblivion mod, but with even uglier faces.

I really want to finish it but why in the hell in my chillout exploration art game is there a crafting mechanic to limit the total number of arts I can make and force you back to the last place you rested if you're out too late at night mechanic. Its frustrating for no reason for something clearly a lot of love went into.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Barudak posted:

Im in a similar boat. It feels like an oblivion mod, but with even uglier faces.

I really want to finish it but why in the hell in my chillout exploration art game is there a crafting mechanic to limit the total number of arts I can make and force you back to the last place you rested if you're out too late at night mechanic. Its frustrating for no reason for something clearly a lot of love went into.

the let's game it out was pretty fun though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1KQulaKNNU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I accidentally attached an engineers boat to my command ship in Anno 2205 and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to separate them. Looking online a bunch of other people have this question but not one was actually answered. This is really annoying me.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

Not being able to warp in between lanterns meant that you had to see that loading screen twice if you wanted to go back to an old area.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Loading screens be damned, that's still a baffling decision to me. I get that they wanted to make the Hunter's Dream feel useful as a hub and keep lanterns from feeling like a place of respite but they could've at least let you warp from them.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tunicate posted:

Shadorun: Hong Kong

The last tutorial mission says there are snipers and you should stay in cover. I assumed it was talking about putting something between my dudes and the enemies who were flanking me on both sides, but apparently 'snipers' is just a map-wide status effect, and having cover that would actually be between you and the enemies is irrelevant, you just have to be next to some kind of wall, even if it doesn't block you from any real enemies.

pretty bad communication there, and how hard would it be to just have actual snipers on the roof

I remember tripping up on that for exactly the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kenshi is a cool game with a lot of neat and very open-ended ideas, but there really should have been some kind of ramp up in forces or encounters once you create your first outpost. I've barely constructed walls and a gate and I'm still just one guy and it's day 10 on this save file, why are you sending groups of seriously fifteen bandits on the same day I built the outpost? Even if I had a full 5-man squad this would be far too many given that they are at least moderately skilled and my attack/defense stats are still single-digits.

edit: And every resource I've looked at says that the Toughness stat (general intrinsic defense) is trained by getting the crap kicked out of you and/or getting in fights and winning, but every fight I've gotten in the enemy doesn't stop until I enter the Dying state. Whatever's supposed to be happening to make them go away, it is not. They just hang out till I get back up and hit me again, which kills you if you're in the Dying state already.

Seriously what is up with this. Why are 15 starving crazed bandits even hanging out together

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:42 on Nov 12, 2020