Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my favorite thing about getter is during crossovers and such when there are alternatives to the apocalypse machine that eats its pilots available, but they still use getter robo.

Back when Super Robot Wars was still using the 70s Getter pilots but also using Shin Getter, they had an interesting dynamic in a couple of them where the Getter Team was absolutely terrified of the Shin Getter and basically kept it under lock and key and never used it, instead preferring the "normal" Getters, until the escalation of a given game got bad enough to warrant the "break glass in case of emergency" approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

Back when Super Robot Wars was still using the 70s Getter pilots but also using Shin Getter, they had an interesting dynamic in a couple of them where the Getter Team was absolutely terrified of the Shin Getter and basically kept it under lock and key and never used it, instead preferring the "normal" Getters, until the escalation of a given game got bad enough to warrant the "break glass in case of emergency" approach.

That's taken straight out of the manga.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Droyer posted:

That's taken straight out of the manga.

It's funnier in SRW because in the Alpha series they put it under lock and key and pull it back out three separate times.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I liked in Super Robot Wars W where Shin Getter and Mazinkaiser were each made to stop the other one should they activate, and if one activated the other would activate at the same time.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I liked in Super Robot Wars W where Shin Getter and Mazinkaiser were each made to stop the other one should they activate, and if one activated the other would activate at the same time.

I always love in those games when they act like they are equivalent. Mazinkaiser can shoot a big beam and is tough to kill. Shin Getter can terraform a planet.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Ethiser posted:

I always love in those games when they act like they are equivalent. Mazinkaiser can shoot a big beam and is tough to kill. Shin Getter can terraform a planet.

Mazinkaiser is kind of always treated like it could do some terrifying poo poo but just doesn't, because Kouji doesn't care to; the Alpha-games version explicitly had a super mode nobody could figure out how to activate, so the cast involved said "That sounds pretty hosed up" and left it alone. And it kinda fits for their respective themes: Mazinger is all about the human choice of what you do with your power, where Getter is a force of nature you can't ultimately control. Of course one is gonna seem a lot weaker than the other, because most of the time you're not gonna see what one of them is even truly capable of when left unchecked.

Admittedly a lot of is retroactively influenced by later entries and I seriously doubt Kaiser or really any of the Mazingers were intended to be that powerful - though considering what Zero does, oh boy can it hang with Getter.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 8, 2020

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, in the Alpha-verse the Mazinkaiser and Shin Getter are both considered to be roughly equivalent; when piloted by their respective pilots, they're just really strong super robots, but both of them have some terrifying, ineffable, infinite power boiling under the surface that could gently caress everyone over if it was unleashed so both machines are kept under tight control when used(which is only sparingly), and are immediately rammed back under lock and key the instant the need is done.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

ZERO I think can hang with Shin Getter easily, it goes around erasing universes to be the only super robot in town.

Kaiser I’m not sure, I don’t think it ever even got a scratch in the OVA and in Alpha it’s just as scary as Shin Getter. I did like Kaiser being a more heroic version in X though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ZERO is crazy and I appreciate it being the only Mazinger that played up the you can be a god or a devil aspect.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Shaezerus posted:

the Alpha-games version explicitly had a super mode nobody could figure out how to activate

Alpha Gaiden has one point where Kouji says he's going to activate said super mode explicitly to stop a rampant Shin Getter, with the subtext of "This won't last long, and this is probably going to turn out really really bad, so it's my very last ditch option". I also always just assumed that Kaiser Nova in the Alpha 3 was Kouji turning on God mode for a couple of seconds and then just outputting all the Photonic Energy he could get in one extremely huge blast.

Alpha 3 also has a bit where Ryouma noting that the Shin Getter's power output is elevated from normal (which is, if I recall, something like 3 or 5% theoretical maximum) and thinking that that's probably a really bad sign... He also says in the ending of Alpha 3 that Getter energy had started waning because the big battle for the sake of the universe was over and a lot of the cosmic forces that had been being tapped were basically leaving because they weren't needed in that time anymore.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What's the best way to get into Getter Robo? Original manga?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really like the original manga but it can be kinda rough, especially early on. As a starting point I'd probably recommend New Getter, it's the best Getter anime and works as an introduction for all the major elements of the franchise. I will say the manga is better than any animated Getter though, so if you're willing to take the plunge you can do that too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

StrixNebulosa posted:

The original manga (and G) kind of suck past the first volume, and they aren't at all essential to the later stories.

I'd recommend starting with the Getter Robo Go manga. If you like that, then Shin Getter Robo and Getter Robo Arc follow up from it. (Shin is technically a prequel to Go, but it provides an answer to a mystery in Go so there's very little point in reading it first.)

The OVAs and the 2004 New Getter Robo are completely independent stories, and you can just jump into any of them no trouble.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm probably the one person in these parts who personally thinks that Getter Robo Go is honestly kinda garbage

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's not some flawless work that I'd recommend to everyone, but I do think it's one of the best examples of its type of story.

That is, if someone doesn't like Go, I wouldn't expect them to like any of the other Getter Robo's, either.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Go's the best example of what the Getter manga is, being a solid full-length story with a proper ending, but there's other Getter stuff that goes a different way with it.

As someone who started getting into Getter Robo with the Shin vs Neo OVA, I have pretty mixed feelings on Go; it's a good story well told, but between 2/3 of "my" Getter team not sticking around throughout the manga they originated from and not expecting it to get as grim as it did, it was kind of a disappointment when I first read it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Go's the best example of what the Getter manga is, being a solid full-length story with a proper ending, but there's other Getter stuff that goes a different way with it.

As someone who started getting into Getter Robo with the Shin vs Neo OVA, I have pretty mixed feelings on Go; it's a good story well told, but between 2/3 of "my" Getter team not sticking around throughout the manga they originated from and not expecting it to get as grim as it did, it was kind of a disappointment when I first read it.

See I had the exact opposite experience. I started with the manga, and my favorite aspect of it is when it gets into cosmic horror stuff at the end of Go and continuing in Shin and Arc. I found all of the animes disappointing because they don't really explore that aspect much at all.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Neo Getter Robo different from Getter Robo Go (the mechs I mean)? Or is it like the Shin Getter Robo to OG Getter Robo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Neo Getter Robo different from Getter Robo Go (the mechs I mean)? Or is it like the Shin Getter Robo to OG Getter Robo

Neo Getter Robo is pretty similar to Go in design but there are differences between the two of them

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

The mech in New Getter Robo is something of a mix of OG Getter, Getter G and Shin Getter, designwise. The whole thing's kinda like Shin Mazinger vs 70s Mazinger Z.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks! Hearing about giant robots eating their pilots and terraforming planets rings my bell something fierce

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finally finished Arc. What a hell of a manga. I kind of hope they don't finish it because I don't trust Kawagoe to nail the tone. Everything is so hosed by the end of that manga.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My plan is to watch the 2004 anime + read Getter Robo Go v1-7 as that seems to be the quickest/most fun way to see cool robots. Again, thanks!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

StrixNebulosa posted:

My plan is to watch the 2004 anime + read Getter Robo Go v1-7 as that seems to be the quickest/most fun way to see cool robots. Again, thanks!

If you're up for it I'd love to hear your impression afterwards.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ishikawa was never exactly great at drawing humans, but he was amazing at drawing hosed up monsters.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

The mech in New Getter Robo is something of a mix of OG Getter, Getter G and Shin Getter, designwise. The whole thing's kinda like Shin Mazinger vs 70s Mazinger Z.

He means the one from Shin vs Neo

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ah yeah that one's more G with something resembling Go's paint job.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 9, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, if we're talking old Dynamic Pro manga, seems as good a time as any to mention I finally read the old Mazinger manga. (The original, I mean. There were, like, three different Mazinger mangas around that time with completely different continuities.)

Finally reading Devilman not long ago gave me more appreciation for old Go Nagai manga than I had from God Maziner, so I figured I'd give it a fair shot.

I'm not sure that the Great Mazinger chapters were in the right order, which may have been the translation I was looking at, but if that was a complete set, then that manga was incredibly confusing, with cliffhangers that never get followup, multiple introductions and endings, and chapters that don't connect to each other. Grendizer, by contrast, just didn't do much beyond monster of the week stories.

As for Mazinger Z?

Well, it started stronger than it went on. Initially, it felt like it had some fun ideas for where it wanted to go, with Sayaka being the veteran pilot to Koji's rookie in an unusual dynamic, and the detective supporting character got some good lines.

Unfortunately, none of that went anywhere. About halfway in, the main plot stopped being a plot, and became a supplement to the show with every chapter just being "Doctor Hell has another evil scheme, lots of people die, hooray Mazinger."

It's made worse by Koji being a pretty bland protagonist. Sure, he does cool things (ride a motorbike, kung fu fight robots, carries a laser gun), but he doesn't really stand out, or make choices that feel like they're his rather than what any standard super robot protagonist would do. I know some of that comes from setting the template, but it still kind of stands out. He's not smart or dumb, chivalrous or a perv, underhanded or a boy scout. He's just kind of, as he was described on multiple occasions, the protagonist of an action manga. Sayaka's similarly "plucky love interest 1-A" with her piloting being all but useless most of the time, reaching the point where she didn't even have to job on panel. The readers could fill in the details well enough on their own.

The bright spot was Boss as the comic relief, who was sometimes actually funny, and who usually acted as more an asset than a liability.

Also, man. The villains loved the "I got a hostage, now surrender" play. Felt like that happened pretty much every other chapter.

Also, I watched half of the second episode of Heroic Age, where the protagonist reveals he doesn't understand the idea of numbers. The show then tries to explain this as a trait of higher beings, because somehow, counting stops existing when you know enough?

Like, I get him not understanding the concept of 12, but not being able to process "One, two, many" is absurd even for showing how little the protagonist understands about the world.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 6, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Go Nagai is honestly not a very good writer, he's an excellent character/monster/mecha designer but his writing never really gets past average at best(which can be said about a lot of early manga creators)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Go Nagai is honestly not a very good writer, he's an excellent character/monster/mecha designer but his writing never really gets past average at best(which can be said about a lot of early manga creators)

I don't really agree. I agree on Mazinger, which definitely hasn't aged well, but Devilman is still excellent.

Those are the only Nagai manga I've read, no idea about the rest.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't really agree. I agree on Mazinger, which definitely hasn't aged well, but Devilman is still excellent.

Those are the only Nagai manga I've read, no idea about the rest.

Having seen a bit more, God Mazinger is terrible. On the other hand, I read a collection of horror one-shots he did that was decent enough.

Definite mixed bag.

That said, yeah. Devilman is very good. Figured going in that it'd be one of those things where you can kinda see why it was influential, and where it inspired good works later, but reading the original is a disappointment. But no. It may show its age and have some awkward bits, but overall, it's still really impressive.

It's also interesting in how some of the bits that normally wouldn't work enhance its impact. The lower detail art and the initial monster of the week format gives the descent into hell a strong feeling of unreality. It's not just something horrible. It's something that shouldn't happen in this kind of manga. (You get some of the same thing in late Evangelion, with Angels violating the formatting of the show's visuals. Definitely can see the influence, if the interviews I've seen are true.)

I might even go as far as to say that Devilman is a manga that benefits from Go Nagai's virtues and his flaws as a manga writer.

Mazinger, meanwhile, feels like something he got kinda bored with.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Devilman and Mazinger Z were both came out alongside their cartoons. Devilman was Nagai's pride and joy and he kept it's manga going where he wanted, but when the cartoon of Mazinger Z became popular he seemed willing to let Toei take the lead. IIRC, Sayaka's character in particular was something that got changed from his original intention.

I get the impression that something similar happened with the Getter Robo manga. The first volume is this super-violent gorefest, and then immediately afterwards most the rough edges get sanded down.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Getter remains fairly gory throughout I think. Even by the superheroics of G there's still chapters like the one where the Hyakki empire turn a skyscraper into a giant deathtrap and a bunch of people get skewered by spikes and shot by phone guns, and the space virus plotline where people's flesh melts and oozes everywhere. Hidden in Getter are a lot of great horror comic plotlines, the chapter of G where Hayato's gang come back and they're all cyborgs that unwillingly combine into one giant robot was pretty disquieting, and a hospital that treats poor people for free but secretly turning them into murderous abominations comes up multiple times across the series. The storyline in Arc where the bad guys turn an entire town into bug people is really similar to these plotlines too.

That said this time around a lot of my favorite parts were actually action sequences. Musashi's last stand, a storyline where the dinosaur empire stages a rocket suicide attack at mach five, and the battle between the cyborg megatank and America's big howitzer tank in Go were really engaging and hard to stop reading. Ken Ishikawa is simply good at comics in my opinion.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

As for Mazinger Z?
Yeah I had similar feelings on the original Mazinger manga saga really. Tbh that's probably the main reason why I wasn't nearly as harsh on the Infinity movie as you either, since I was expecting something closer to the manga in terms of writing quality and not uh, something better.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 10, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

If you're up for it I'd love to hear your impression afterwards.

Getter Robo Go v1 impressions: whoa, that was intense. The robot is already killing people just by virtue of being hard to drive, and then the villains going all in with body horror cyborgs is great. Also lmao at "my scars only reappear when I'm under pressure" that's not how anything works!!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Schwarzwald posted:

Devilman and Mazinger Z were both came out alongside their cartoons. Devilman was Nagai's pride and joy and he kept it's manga going where he wanted, but when the cartoon of Mazinger Z became popular he seemed willing to let Toei take the lead. IIRC, Sayaka's character in particular was something that got changed from his original intention.

I get the impression that something similar happened with the Getter Robo manga. The first volume is this super-violent gorefest, and then immediately afterwards most the rough edges get sanded down.

I still feel like not enough is done with Hayato's history as a 60s radical.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Super agree, especially since he kind of becomes 'the man' as he gets older. Seems like an obvious source of inner conflict to mess with.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

See I'm of the opinion that Devilman is edgy garbage that has had it's core idea done better by other authors later on

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Super agree, especially since he kind of becomes 'the man' as he gets older. Seems like an obvious source of inner conflict to mess with.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got the impression he wasn't really that serious about it, it was something he did because he was bored and he stopped once something more interesting came along in the Getter. Also revolutionaries goingnlegit and becoming fhe man is super common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I got the impression he wasn't really that serious about it, it was something he did because he was bored and he stopped once something more interesting came along in the Getter. Also revolutionaries goingnlegit and becoming fhe man is super common

Some versions even have him getting called out as not giving a drat for the cause. He just likes killing people and breaking poo poo.