Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mister Kingdom posted:

The bad news is that this exists:

The good news is that there will only be ten of them.

It has all the elegance & style of a snake trying to swallow an egg 20x the size of its own head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Rhyno posted:

edit: on this subject, I hope Biden puts a stop to Chip Foose and his terrible wheels.
This, don't let that man near anything else, please.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
i just looked up will.i.am's tesla for the first time and... and i kinda like it.

i feel dirty and bad.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Gomi Day posted:

i just looked up will.i.am's tesla for the first time and... and i kinda like it.

i feel dirty and bad.

I don't have any room to throw shade goonbro; my broke brain loves 80s cadillacs. Literally the worst car stuff in the history of car stuff but god drat you show me a bustleback seville or a brougham d'elegance and I get some funny feelings in my naughty place.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

coupedeville posted:

I don't have any room to throw shade goonbro; my broke brain loves 80s cadillacs. Literally the worst car stuff in the history of car stuff but god drat you show me a bustleback seville or a brougham d'elegance and I get some funny feelings in my naughty place.

username/av text/post synergize nicely.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Will is a perfect example of what happens when someone is talented

Citation needed

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

coupedeville posted:

aw, hell yeah. i totally forgot bustlebacks were a thing that existed.
they own.

i was actively looking for a giant land barge a little while ago. something with the vinyl landau roof with opera windows, front bench and (hopefully) an 8 track player.
a lot of people want hilariously inflated prices for even the most clapped out malaise era heaps.
i still want one, eventually.

[edit] albany emperor 4 lyfe

Gomi Day fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 9, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ah yes, the bustleback with the HT4100.

130 blistering HP.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How difficult would it be to put a decent engine in? I know they were a weird longitudinal/FWD setup, but maybe a LT or LS mated to a built up TH425?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I totally loved those 80s Sevilles when I was a kid. I can’t remember the last time I saw one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MomJeans420 posted:

Citation needed

Well there was a period where he was at least. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNtlq_Ps8ao

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

STR posted:

How difficult would it be to put a decent engine in? I know they were a weird longitudinal/FWD setup, but maybe a LT or LS mated to a built up TH425?

You're going to need new brackets/subframe to accommodate a different engine, might as well just use the LS4 fwd variant.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The LS4 is transverse-mount. I'm not sure how much room there is between the inner fenders, but that engine bay was definitely designed for a longitudinal-mount engine. I kind of remember a family-member's 81 Eldorado's engine bay being really packed with the V8-6-4 in longitudinal/FWD config. Those weird rear end transaxles used in the Cadillac (and Olds Toronado - same FWD/longitudinal engine setup) are also pretty hard to find.

I can't really find anything about swapping a modern engine into these, just a later model 4.5, or going carb and an older Oldsmobile engine. :smith: Nothing wrong with a good Olds motor, but I guess there's a reason you don't see many of these Caddies, even in junkyards, anymore. The HT4100 was a pile of poo poo, and I'd imagine the bellhousing adapter you'd need to bolt up to the stock transaxle would move the engine far enough that you're looking at quite a bit of fab work.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 9, 2020

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

STR posted:

Nothing wrong with a good Olds motor, but I guess there's a reason you don't see many of these Caddies, even in junkyards, anymore. The HT4100 was a pile of poo poo, and I'd imagine the bellhousing adapter you'd need to bolt up to the stock transaxle would move the engine far enough that you're looking at quite a bit of fab work.

My high school car was a red-on-red 86' coupe deville with velour interior and I still lust after another one but the point about the HT4100 is too true. I wonder how hard it would even be to get an ecotec 4-banger to fit since the original engines are such trash. The higher trim level Chevy Malibus use the 2.0L LTG turbo-4 engine in a front wheel drive configuration which pushes out 250hp in the Malibu but the same engine is rated for close to 275hp in the Cadillac ATS4 (which is a RWD configuration), either of which is a huge step up from the supremely underpowered 4100. It's so crazy it just might work!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Citation needed

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

It's me, I'm the terrible car stuff. Talking myself into pissing away thousands of dollars and an extremely excessive amount of my time and energy to build up an arguably worthless example of 80's GM trash with the newer heart of also bad GM trash for literally no reason other then my broke brain giving me these awful ideas is terrible car stuff.

Now if I could get a 89 brougham with the RWD 5.0 buick and slam an LS in it, that sounds much more reasonable and less likely to end in financial and mental ruin......:thunk:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

coupedeville posted:

My high school car was a red-on-red 86' coupe deville with velour interior and I still lust after another one but the point about the HT4100 is too true. I wonder how hard it would even be to get an ecotec 4-banger to fit since the original engines are such trash. The higher trim level Chevy Malibus use the 2.0L LTG turbo-4 engine in a front wheel drive configuration which pushes out 250hp in the Malibu but the same engine is rated for close to 275hp in the Cadillac ATS4 (which is a RWD configuration), either of which is a huge step up from the supremely underpowered 4100. It's so crazy it just might work!

Good news! The 85+ was a transverse engine layout (your traditional FWD engine layout with the engine sideways), so swapping to any FWD engine is a lot easier.

IMO I think a 3800 would be a much better swap. The later ones put out stupid amounts of power off the line without waiting for a turbo, have proven reliability (GM has had a lot of issues with the LTG), and if you play your cards right, you can find one with a factory supercharger. :getin:

You do lose the factory driver info display, or at least some of the functions. And the digital climate control on older ones was also tied into the PCM somehow, not sure about 85+ (they had a Konami code to get into diagnostics up until the mid 90s, at least).

Also my mom had a red on red 86 sedan deville. It was a pretty nice car. Slow as all hell, but comfy.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I would love one of them 80's brohams but sadly my garage is only 20' long

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Majere posted:

I would love one of them 80's brohams but sadly my garage is only 20' long

Good news! The 80s Broughams are just over 18 feet long!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Gomi Day posted:

aw, hell yeah. i totally forgot bustlebacks were a thing that existed.
they own.

i was actively looking for a giant land barge a little while ago. something with the vinyl landau roof with opera windows, front bench and (hopefully) an 8 track player.
a lot of people want hilariously inflated prices for even the most clapped out malaise era heaps.
i still want one, eventually.

Good god I will one day own a Lincoln mk5/6 with a 460. I'mma be J R Ewing. My biggest issue is I want one even more that's aconvertible but they didn't come like that from the factory. I swear I've seen a conversion but I bet that's even rarer than finding one in good shape that's not Texas dollars.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

um excuse me posted:

You're going to need new brackets/subframe to accommodate a different engine, might as well just use the LS4 fwd variant.

No you won't.
That Seville, as well as the contemporary Eldorados used a "normal" V8 mated to a TH425 transaxle, meaning almost anything the General made up to that point can bolt to the transaxle. Add a couple engine mounts and mostly done. Not significantly harder than any other V8 swap of a FR GM car of the era.
An LS should fit fairly easily. Might need an adapter plate since the TH425 was never behind a Chevy engine, only Buick, Olds, and Cadillac engines. I don;t recall if they have the bolt pattern for Chevy.

coupedeville posted:

It's me, I'm the terrible car stuff. Talking myself into pissing away thousands of dollars and an extremely excessive amount of my time and energy to build up an arguably worthless example of 80's GM trash with the newer heart of also bad GM trash for literally no reason other then my broke brain giving me these awful ideas is terrible car stuff.

Now if I could get a 89 brougham with the RWD 5.0 buick and slam an LS in it, that sounds much more reasonable and less likely to end in financial and mental ruin......:thunk:

They never had a 5.0 Buick. In fact, there never was a 5.0 Buick that I'm aware of. Are you sure you're not thinking of the 307 Olds that GM used in everything RWD in the late '70s-early'80s? Caddy *definitely* used them, and I've seen them in every B- and C-body except the Caprice. Buick kind of skipped from 300ci to 350ci. Olds was basically the last non-Chevy V8 GM allowed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What was the reason for GM tossing iron heads on an Al block? Cost? Complexity of casting?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
It was the parts they had laying around?

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Mister Kingdom posted:

The bad news is that this exists:

The good news is that there will only be ten of them.

It's like a Charger and the Rolls Royce SUV had a child

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Darchangel posted:

They never had a 5.0 Buick. In fact, there never was a 5.0 Buick that I'm aware of. Are you sure you're not thinking of the 307 Olds that GM used in everything RWD in the late '70s-early'80s?

You are right; I'm not sure where I ever heard that it was a buick powerplant. Probably some piece of misinformation that I picked up online years ago that was never corrected until now.

coupedeville fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 10, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gomi Day posted:

Hell yeah, brother.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

What was the reason for GM tossing iron heads on an Al block? Cost? Complexity of casting?

In the case of the Vega engine, I believe it was to make things stiff. Don't know about other engines though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

One of my favorite things about the Vega debacle (besides the engine) was the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorack#Vert-A-Pac_and_Stac-Pac.

The amount of money spent for engineering that and building special train cars gives me a chuckle.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

coupedeville posted:

You are right; I'm not sure where I ever heard that it was a buick powerplant. Probably some piece of misinformation that I picked up online years ago that was never corrected until now.

Some of the RWD Caddies had a 4.1L V6, although I've never personally seen one. Pretty sure that was just a Buick 3.8L with a slightly bigger bore.

coupedeville posted:

My original plan for the 88, but with a SBC 350 poached from an 80s or early 90s Caprice or Roadmaster. An LS swap sounds like loads of fun.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

No you won't.
That Seville, as well as the contemporary Eldorados used a "normal" V8 mated to a TH425 transaxle, meaning almost anything the General made up to that point can bolt to the transaxle. Add a couple engine mounts and mostly done. Not significantly harder than any other V8 swap of a FR GM car of the era.
An LS should fit fairly easily. Might need an adapter plate since the TH425 was never behind a Chevy engine, only Buick, Olds, and Cadillac engines. I don;t recall if they have the bolt pattern for Chevy.

A lot of them were dual bolt pattern. I THINK the HT used a SBC bolt pattern, while the other engine options used BOP.

The problem is, the TH325/TH425 goes kaboom really drat easy. It's rated to handle the torque of the Olds diesel they used, but not at higher RPMs, and certainly not a decent amount of ponies. It's also drat near impossible to find a rebuildable core.

And that bellhousing adapter is going to move it far enough forward that you're likely gonna need electric fans and some fancy mounts, but beyond that I don't see it being HORRIBLY different than any other "new engine into old car" swap, aside from power steering hoses, AC lines, etc. Did I mention the climate control and trip meter are both integrated into the PCM? So you have to leave the original PCM hooked up in some fashion to keep at least your AC/heat working.

The Deville went to a FF layout for the 85 model year IIRC, the Eldorado and Seville did the same in 85 or 86. Still the HT4x00, ironically it'd be easier to LS4 swap one of those because they have a lot more width under the hood (despite being much smaller cars overall). But the Bustleback was gone by then. :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 10, 2020

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Electric motor conversion on a '91 Brougham d'Elegance done up in pearlescent white, like riding on a sofa-shaped cloud.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Lake of Methane posted:

Electric motor conversion on a '91 Brougham d'Elegance done up in pearlescent white, like riding on a sofa-shaped cloud.

Is a tesla battery pack narrower than the frame rails on the old full size GM cars? seems like it'd be pretty easy to just shove it in there if so.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Finger Prince posted:

Yup, still no clue what any of this is about.
It's a programming thing, but despite working with software companies for a long time (including a big client who is agile), I'm still not quite sure what any of it means.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh boy. Drink it in.

https://twitter.com/whatcar/status/1326510320945336321?s=20

I love the rear lights but that's it. The giant fake grille with venting round the edges just means they could've used small kidneys on this. Cover up the grille and badge on this and tell me what about it says BMW. Also the denim interior is certainly a bold choice.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 11, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gods sake

I love how once a generation like clockwork someone says "Waaaiiiit why are we making steering wheels ROUND? Think outside the box people!!!!!" and then we gradually figure out why we made them round

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I almost like the interior. The rest though, blech.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
The front is terrible, the rest swings from bland to maybe ok.

When did BMW forget how to make a car look good?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

opengl128 posted:

I almost like the interior. The rest though, blech.

I like the interior, those seats are fun.

Good GOD that's a gently caress ugly SUVish thing though. Glad to see BMW retaining the bloated kidney grills, even when they're 100% vestigial.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A reminder that Skoda made a more BMW BMW

https://twitter.com/chrisklandry/status/1326574605184737283?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The Skoda looks too much like a wagon for US buyers to ever be interested (which is also why it looks so good).