Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-fe-rtx-3080-d-rgb-black-special-edition

:shepspends::retrogames:

Can't wait to work out the butcher's bill on what this is going to end up costing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
a small PSA for those looking into getting the NR200P:

the P comes with two top exhaust fans in a nice little setup where you can just press them into some standoffs in the top panel and they'll be all ready to go. unfortunately, they have an issue I've encountered (and confirmed via finding this Reddit post) where they start rattling a bit. I think this is because they just aren't quite properly fitted for the top mesh, and there's some hard plastic that gets rattled. as the post says, you can push down on the top panel a bit to temporarily stop that, but I assume it flexes back into place or something

this means I'm probably going to be getting a couple replacement fans, which is a bit of a bummer, since one of the upsides of me getting the P even though I didn't want the TG window was that I got the 2x fans. I'm sure most people getting this are planning to bring their own fans anyways, but just wanted to leave a word of caution on the only problem I've had with this build

apparently if you drop the fans to less than ~1000 RPM (they're currently at 1336 RPM) this goes away, and I think i can get away with that since I don't think this system has gone above 70C once. otherwise might grab a pair of Noctua NF-A12x25 PWMs

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 7, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Man, that is pretty as gently caress, but ouch at being $100 over EK's already pricey other GPU blocks.

I mean, I'd get one if I had a FE, but I ended up with a Zotac so I'll have to get something else (or wait for the Gigabyte/ASUS watercooled ones to come out and trade up).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I don't follow the GPU game a ton. How long will Nvidia keep cranking out the FE cards?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Hahahaha it posts! My unobtanium pc is alive! Now for the hellish task of cable management in this case.

SF750, 5800x, 3080, nr200... I cannot believe I finally collected it all!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

VorpalFish posted:

Hahahaha it posts! My unobtanium pc is alive! Now for the hellish task of cable management in this case.

Replace the 5800x with a 5900x and you got what I have been thinking about building.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Moey posted:

I don't follow the GPU game a ton. How long will Nvidia keep cranking out the FE cards?

For the lifecycle of the card, if history is any indication.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

VorpalFish posted:

Same here just with the M1 instead of nr200, last piece is the 5800X and it arrives Monday.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MaxxBot posted:

Same here just with the M1 instead of nr200, last piece is the 5800X and it arrives Monday.

Why did I do this? I've given up on even the pretense of cable management. Whatever, it's alive.

Edit: on the other hand, now that I've dialed in an undervolt, I can just barely hear the fans during timespy with the GPU at 65C so if I loosen up the curve a bit and let it float to 70ish, I think I may have my inaudible PC.
Edit2: Wow, A12x25s are completely insane, I actually cannot hear these running at 60% from like 2 feet away in a completely mesh case.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 9, 2020

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Warmachine posted:

For the lifecycle of the card, if history is any indication.

Do 3rd party cards ever drop cheaper than FE? Or are you just shopping for boost clocks/leds?

In theory, the 3080 FE may be in stock somewhere in a few months?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I am now realizing that the fans I've been using to draw more air into the GPU chamber of my Node 202 are pressure-optimized for radiators and heatsinks, both the Fractal Design Venturi HP-12s and the Noctua NF-P12s I replaced them with :doh:

I'm wondering if I should try replacing them with an airflow-optimized model, like the thread-favorite Noctua NF-A12x25 or the even-quieter and airflowier NF-S12A

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I am now realizing that the fans I've been using to draw more air into the GPU chamber of my Node 202 are pressure-optimized for radiators and heatsinks, both the Fractal Design Venturi HP-12s and the Noctua NF-P12s I replaced them with :doh:

I'm wondering if I should try replacing them with an airflow-optimized model, like the thread-favorite Noctua NF-A12x25 or the even-quieter and airflowier NF-S12A

I think you want the pressure optimized fans because they work great in space constricted places (drawing through a dust filter straight into a solid GPU). The airflow optimized fans are good for unrestricted airflow (like in a Meshify C or something)

Not 100% sure though since I struggle to remember what's what as well.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea you’re not exactly going to be moving a ton of air through a 202. The fans you have are more than capable.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

That said, A12x25s are loving magical, just unreasonably expensive. Arctic P12s are nearly as good for a third of the cost, but a lot of people have noticed motor hum between 1000-1200 rpm so maybe only worth it if you can keep them below 1k.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

a12x25 are both pressure and airflow optimised, that's kind of their deal. For the enthusiast that wants it all (and doesn't mind the cost and colour)

The CPU cooler and fan are the ID-COOLING IS-60 with its stock fan replaced with a Noctua NF-A12x15, which was recommended to me by others in this very thread. Even quieter than the case fans somehow even under load, and the cooler height is just perfect to reach fresh air outside the case even with the filter installed.

I'm glad the is-60 + a12x15 worked out as well for you as it did me, it's basically peak hsf when it comes to an unmodified node 202

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 9, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I moved my old desktop z97 system into the Sugo 14 case. I have to say I really like the case and the flexibility it gives me for how I want to cool things and where I can mount drives etc. In my old Sugo 05 I have an SSD just hanging out in the front of the case held in place by cable tension. In the 14 there's a drive mount in the case and two up front that I saw. I fit a 240mm radiator with no problem. I will say using an sfx power supply with atx bracket gave me more room for cable clutter but a full size atx power supply wouldn't have been a problem.

I'm thinking of getting me a cheap ryzen 7 system to put in there depending on sales over black friday. Fits nicely if a little snuggly in my media center beneath the tv.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Moey posted:

Do 3rd party cards ever drop cheaper than FE? Or are you just shopping for boost clocks/leds?

In theory, the 3080 FE may be in stock somewhere in a few months?

Nope, the FE makes an effective price floor: everything else will be more expensive unless you find one of the cheaper cards with a $50 sale or something. NVidia has yet to discontinue a FE card to my knowledge, so there's no reason to expect that you wouldn't still be able to get one in a few months (I mean, as much as you'll be able to get any 3080, anyhow). Despite the name, they're not being positioned as limited editions or something like that.

VorpalFish posted:

That said, A12x25s are loving magical, just unreasonably expensive. Arctic P12s are nearly as good for a third of the cost, but a lot of people have noticed motor hum between 1000-1200 rpm so maybe only worth it if you can keep them below 1k.

Or just use the fan control software either built into basically every motherboard these days or via Windows to set a fan curve that skips that particular RPM segment, and just jumps from like 900RPM to 1100RPM. Not every P12 exhibits the issue, either. But it's like 10 min of work to save $20/fan.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

Nope, the FE makes an effective price floor: everything else will be more expensive unless you find one of the cheaper cards with a $50 sale or something. NVidia has yet to discontinue a FE card to my knowledge, so there's no reason to expect that you wouldn't still be able to get one in a few months (I mean, as much as you'll be able to get any 3080, anyhow). Despite the name, they're not being positioned as limited editions or something like that.

Or just use the fan control software either built into basically every motherboard these days or via Windows to set a fan curve that skips that particular RPM segment, and just jumps from like 900RPM to 1100RPM. Not every P12 exhibits the issue, either. But it's like 10 min of work to save $20/fan.

Doesn't it do it on the way as it accelerates? That would drive me nuts even if it was half a second.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Doesn't it do it on the way as it accelerates? That would drive me nuts even if it was half a second.

Yeah, the fan itself will indeed have to pass through that speed zone at least momentarily. I have a bunch of the P12's, though, and I can say that the resonance "noise" is not bad at all. It's a difference between being effectively silent to "I think maybe I can hear something?" So if it's just there for 1 second as a transient state you're not likely to notice it.

But of course YMMV, and if money and brown coloring isn't a concern you can get the Nocturas and avoid the issue entirely.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

DrDork posted:

if ... brown coloring isn't a concern
I like the brown. I just wish there was a case the complimented the color palette.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

There should be black and white fans in Q1 2021 sometime..?

Incidentally, what was the optimal fan configuration on the NR200P again?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rhaka posted:

There should be black and white fans in Q1 2021 sometime..?

Incidentally, what was the optimal fan configuration on the NR200P again?

Sycthe Fuma 2, Noctua C14S are both good, NH-U12A if you're not using the tempered glass is an option but I heard the Fuma 2 beats it, and just almost barely fits with the tempered glass.

e: whoops, misread. I think bottom intake with rear exhaust works good, with potential top intake fans if your motherboard allows space.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

HalloKitty posted:

a12x25 are both pressure and airflow optimised, that's kind of their deal. For the enthusiast that wants it all (and doesn't mind the cost and colour)

I'm glad the is-60 + a12x15 worked out as well for you as it did me, it's basically peak hsf when it comes to an unmodified node 202

Yeah, that heatsink-fan combo really is the best for my use case. Ran some real-world RDR2 yesterday, and the CPU stayed below 75° the whole time :toot:

the thread posted:

fan talk

Ah, good to know that the high pressure is useful pulling air through a filter, which is what I'm doing. Still tempted to try the magical NF-A12X25 to get even quieter, though, especially given Noctua's handy comparison chart up there (the redux fans I have are essentially equivalent to the NF-F12s, I think)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Turns out my 3900X is dead, but the Fuma 2 installation was alright. Fan clips are annoying / worse than Noctuas IMO, but definitely fits snugly.

I'm not sure what other fans to add to this case — GPU has its own standard blower thing and the Fuma is front intake, rear exhaust...top intakes, I guess? Not much else to cool really, M.2 is under a heatsink.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CopperHound posted:

I like the brown. I just wish there was a case the complimented the color palette.

Wander into any used computer parts store. You'll have your pick of the litter :v:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Would be cool if Noctua designed a silence/performance oriented case that matched their aesthetic.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wahaha360 just showed a glimpse of the "budget" version of the FormD P1, the Mesh-Licious (working name lol).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DrDork posted:

Thanks. I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled over the next few months.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

ijyt posted:

Wahaha360 just showed a glimpse of the "budget" version of the FormD P1, the Mesh-Licious (working name lol).

Nice, I am curious to see how that turns out when it's finalized.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Hi thread, here's another nr200p owner wanting a sanity check.

I've got my nr200p and FE 3080 and am just waiting on a 5600x to pull the trigger on the rest of my build. I don't mind tinkering but when it's all put together I don't particularly want to gently caress about with trying a million different cooling configurations or messing around with fan curves to find the peak optimal whatever. I'd just be happy with a good level of sound/thermal performance.

With that in mind, I was thinking about getting the NH-u12A because it just barely allows the full size top rear fan, leaving the two stock fans as exhaust out the top and having the u12A exhausting out the back. Then I would see how acceptable the performance was and if I wasn't happy I could think about getting a couple of Noctua A12x25 for the bottom as intakes. Obviously in this configuration I'd have to use the mesh side panel which is fine.

However I'm now considering the Fuma Scythe 2 because it's as good if not better performance-wise while being 40% cheaper. It's also a little shorter which allows for the tempered glass side panel, should I want to use that for a change. This means I'd have to lose the top rear full-size fan, which led me down a rabbit hole of considerations.

Could I swap the 15mm fan from the Scythe with the stock 25mm rear top fan? Would that be inadvisable because of the noise from the stock fan being used on the CPU cooler?

Should I just set aside the stock case fans regardless and go for Noctuas for their quietness?

Should I stick with the Fuma 2 in stock configuration, buy a slim 15mm case fan for the top exhaust, then use the stock 25mm fan I took from the top and use that as a bottom intake?

I've watched lots of videos and I don't feel any clearer although I know I'm fretting over minor differences, as long as I have a decent CPU cooler I know the nr200 does well enough with the FE 30x0 cards.

Someone please sort me out.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ijyt posted:

How do you get video cables to the GPU when it's oriented like that?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Butterfly Valley posted:

Hi thread, here's another nr200p owner wanting a sanity check.

I've got my nr200p and FE 3080 and am just waiting on a 5600x to pull the trigger on the rest of my build. I don't mind tinkering but when it's all put together I don't particularly want to gently caress about with trying a million different cooling configurations or messing around with fan curves to find the peak optimal whatever. I'd just be happy with a good level of sound/thermal performance.

With that in mind, I was thinking about getting the NH-u12A because it just barely allows the full size top rear fan, leaving the two stock fans as exhaust out the top and having the u12A exhausting out the back. Then I would see how acceptable the performance was and if I wasn't happy I could think about getting a couple of Noctua A12x25 for the bottom as intakes. Obviously in this configuration I'd have to use the mesh side panel which is fine.

However I'm now considering the Fuma Scythe 2 because it's as good if not better performance-wise while being 40% cheaper. It's also a little shorter which allows for the tempered glass side panel, should I want to use that for a change. This means I'd have to lose the top rear full-size fan, which led me down a rabbit hole of considerations.

Could I swap the 15mm fan from the Scythe with the stock 25mm rear top fan? Would that be inadvisable because of the noise from the stock fan being used on the CPU cooler?

Should I just set aside the stock case fans regardless and go for Noctuas for their quietness?

Should I stick with the Fuma 2 in stock configuration, buy a slim 15mm case fan for the top exhaust, then use the stock 25mm fan I took from the top and use that as a bottom intake?

I've watched lots of videos and I don't feel any clearer although I know I'm fretting over minor differences, as long as I have a decent CPU cooler I know the nr200 does well enough with the FE 30x0 cards.

Someone please sort me out.

A few things;

-depending on your board, you may be able to fit a 25mm thick fan over the fuma 2. I couldn't, but I have a gigabyte board with high socket placement
-the default mounting system for the nr200 won't let you mount 15mm thick fans properly. If you want to thin fans, 4x25mm clevis pins work well
-with the aforementioned clevis pins I was able to mount an a12x15, but the fan grill made contact with the fan hub and stopped it from spinning. I jury rigged it using the hard drive mounting grommets that came with the case as spacers but if I knew before hand, actual washers would probably have been better. This may not be an issue with all fans, the a12x15 just has corners that are level with the hub.
-the included fans for the fuma2 are quiet, the only reason I didn't use the slim one for the top is the rpm caps at 1200 and I wanted a fan that matched the a12x25 more closely since I'm running both top fans from a pwm splitter.

I posted a picture upthread if you want to see, but I mounted the fuma2 backwards and set it up as intake because I removed the fans from my gpu and I'm running top and bottom exhaust.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Thanks for the heads up. I found a file for 3D printed pins someone specifically designed for the slim noctua 12x15 fans in the nr200 so I might see if I can get someone I know with a 3D printer to help me out, because I'm also looking at the Gigabyte Aorus board.

I think I'll go with the Fuma 2 exhausting out the back, buy an a12x15 and a12x25 for the top as exhaust and move the two stock case fans to bottom intake. If they're too noisy I can always leave them out or swap them for a12x25s later.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Butterfly Valley posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I found a file for 3D printed pins someone specifically designed for the slim noctua 12x15 fans in the nr200 so I might see if I can get someone I know with a 3D printer to help me out, because I'm also looking at the Gigabyte Aorus board.

I think I'll go with the Fuma 2 exhausting out the back, buy an a12x15 and a12x25 for the top as exhaust and move the two stock case fans to bottom intake. If they're too noisy I can always leave them out or swap them for a12x25s later.

Only other thing is depending on how thick your gpur gpu is you may need slim fans for the bottom too.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It's the FE 3080 so I'm good there.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Actually, what IS the clearance on the bottom of the NR200 with a 2 slot card? Wondering how thick a radiator would fit for a custom loop with 25mm fans.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ijyt posted:

Actually, what IS the clearance on the bottom of the NR200 with a 2 slot card? Wondering how thick a radiator would fit for a custom loop with 25mm fans.

Just eyeballing it I doubt there's clearance for a 2 slot card, 25mm fans, and a 27mm radiator, but if you're putting a block on the card, couldn't you get it down to single slot?

Edit: looks like dual rad is rough and probably involves 15mm fans max in the bottom based on this dude's build:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/ij4nou/nr200_triple_rad_with_280_side_current_build/

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 10, 2020

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

SalTheBard posted:

How do you get video cables to the GPU when it's oriented like that?

Presumably using an angled video cable like this. Hard to tell with just that picture though.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
OK, dream scenario for me here is to find a sub 15L case which will house a 3080 and Ryzen 5900x for my editing rig I'm planning on building next year. Which case would you guys pick if money were no object?

(Money is, in fact, a BIG object but just go along with me here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I would probably go for watercooling the 5900x in a Sliger SM580 (because after my SM560 I'm a Sliger fanboy)