Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yeah, she'd have to be pretty far from home to run into those kind of hills on a freeway. I went to school in Southern Oregon and my wife (gf at the time) drove an early 90s Ford Tempo and then a 96 Toyota Paseo. I definitely know the routine but I can't think of anywhere close by that would make you do that on the freeway. I wouldn't let her go long distance without an adult unless and until I felt comfortable that she could do that, and even then she would probably be driving a newer car of ours or her grandparents on a longer trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There are not hardware limitations on God's green earth that can prevent a teen driver from doing stupid poo poo, and you want them to be in something where they won't possibly die or be severely injured in a 30 mph crash.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Driving slowly through a college campus a few years ago a Volvo sedan was coming the opposite way that I paid no attention to cause it was just a normal car slowly cruising, I dunno 15 or 20 mph or so. I slowed down and looked right to turn at a T intersection, looked back and I have no idea how in the gently caress but that car was upside down - when we stopped and got out the college kid looking driver had already climbed out unscathed. Only guess I could come up with was messing with phone/radio, maybe slipped and tapped the gas hard and turned into the curb and bounced up it and off a power pole there in the unluckiest Final Destination of angles, but that's gonna stick with me real hard when it comes to vehicle selection when my kids get older thinking about modern crumple zones and air bags and all.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 9, 2020

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
My mom and older brother still have some facial scarring in the exact shape of parts of the interior of a Karmann Ghia some thirty years after the fact after what was basically a fender bender.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

"Cool" or not, I'd say front seat airbags are a basic non-negotiable factor for a young driver.

Which leads to... Miata.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 9, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just make her wear a helmet when she drives it to school.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meatpimp posted:

"Cool" or not, I'd say front seat airbags are a basic non-negotiable factor for a young driver.

Which leads to... Miata.

ABS for sure. Of course you can teach someone to pump the brakes and avoid lockup but when poo poo goes down you want the system working with people's instincts not against them. Hell, I'd add stability control in to the mix as well.

I think I'd draw the line at roughly 2010. Lots of materials advances right at that time for passive safety, a lot more active safety stuff as well.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ABS for sure. Of course you can teach someone to pump the brakes and avoid lockup but when poo poo goes down you want the system working with people's instincts not against them. Hell, I'd add stability control in to the mix as well.

I think I'd draw the line at roughly 2010. Lots of materials advances right at that time for passive safety, a lot more active safety stuff as well.

I could see adding abs to an older car. I don't even own a car newer than 2010.

Edit: Maybe I should be looking towards some larger American vehicles though lake a square body truck or something.

therobit fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 9, 2020

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ItsMcMikeTime/status/1296799111052767232

This is the sort of thing I'd worry more about than being underpowered while driving a beetle in modern traffic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

therobit posted:

Edit: Maybe I should be looking towards some larger American vehicles though lake a square body truck or something.

not better

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

quit tryin to buy your kid death machines to satisfy some weird emotional void

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I mean if your standard for death machine is anything pre-2010 then my whole family will be buying death machines for at least the next 10-15 years. I don't buy new cars and I don't take out credit to buy cars, so my options are limited to what I can buy cash.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I wouldn’t recommend a beetle for a new driver. This may not be the most popular opinion in the VW thread, but if you want something older and relatively simple to work on (and plenty of available parts) but also safe, look for a Volvo 240.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Why not stick with a Golf? They are everywhere and have been around for decades. Get a Mk 5 or something.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

therobit posted:

My daughter will be 12 in about a year. My wife has decided that I should restore an old/classic car with her to be ready when she's 16. I can do basic mechanical tasks like changing oils, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, change out a radiator, but I have little experience with engine internals. The idea here is to have a project here for father-daighter time, end up with a cool car, and teach her basic car repair and maintenance along the way. My father in law has some auto body experience and all the tools to repair and paint panels, although I would ideally start with something where ther is nothing completely rusted through in the visible parts of the car.

So I'm thinking about an old Beetle or Carman Ghia. Or maybe a rabbit or one of those little pickups. I'm looking for suggestions and warnings basically. I have a least a year to plan before buying something and then several years to actually do the project. I'm thinking a reasonable total budget of around $10k. Trying to stay pre-1980 I think.

My thought on the beetle is that parts should be available because they were ubiquitous when I was a kid and a ton of them were made, I have the impression that the older ones are pretty simple, and they're cool. I remember my dad driving a bug with a bumpy cam that he bought from our mechanic when I was really little. That thing could really go when it was running properly.

I think the Ghia is probably harder to find parts for buy just seems like a super cool car.

This is loving cool as hell as an idea and I wish my pops had done the same for me. I love it, however...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This sounds like a super cool project and a nice way to potentially bond with your daughter, but first of all, is she interested in this type of stuff? Is this something that she wants? If it isn't, this project could be something that breeds resentment rather than bonding.

Second of all - an aircooled is an absurdly unsafe car compared to modern cars and there is no way that I would have an inexperienced teenager drive one every day. Is that the plan?

This was definitely my first reaction, which leads me to this maybe?

empty baggie posted:

I wouldn’t recommend a beetle for a new driver. This may not be the most popular opinion in the VW thread, but if you want something older and relatively simple to work on (and plenty of available parts) but also safe, look for a Volvo 240.

But maybe it's just because I am a super weirdo but I find older Volvo's amazing. Also extremely partial to the mk5 rabbit/GTI idea (my first car was one and I think they are rad, but I am not sure if something that modern really works for the idea of a project to build and have at 16)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A Volvo 240 is not a safe car in the year of our lord 2020, christ you guys. Even the very newest 240 is over 27 years old now. The oldest ones are over 45 years old. Safer than an equivalent era VW, no doubt, but by any measure today absolutely not.

Most 240s do not have any airbags. A driver-only airbag was added in 1990, and production ended in 92/93. It's also 30+ year old airbag technology.

It may have been a safety icon in the 1980s but that was a very very long time ago, when most cars were horrible death traps. The bar was very low.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 10, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There are two ideas here that are trying to be unified which are fundamentally not compatible in a single vehicle which are:

1) Putting your kid in the safest death machine you can reasonably afford when they start going out and loving just like, crashing in to poo poo.
2) having a fun project car with your kid

these are both good ideas. it's very difficult for them to be the same car.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

How come we all care more about the safety of this guy's kid than he does. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me!! I like the Mk.5 Golf idea, or like what about an E36 BMW now that those are also hard to find and expensive?

Restoring an old cool car with my dad sounds like a fun experience, altho my dad actually had a '72 VW Superbug when I was growing up and I never liked it idk why - he ended up paying someone to restore it rather than doing it himself and now its lost to history.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

therobit posted:

I mean if your standard for death machine is anything pre-2010 then my whole family will be buying death machines for at least the next 10-15 years. I don't buy new cars and I don't take out credit to buy cars, so my options are limited to what I can buy cash.

There's a lot of space between "New 2020 Volvo" and "1970s Beetle."

How about like, a 2009 Corolla or RAV4?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love that a car of the current era of my car (mk5 GTI) is being offered as a suggestion for a classic car for him to work on with a kid. I think there's a massive disconnect in the idea here, modern cars just straight up are not fun to work on when they have issues and trying to work on the internals of a modern engine when he's never done it before is going to be a huge roadblock. I understand the safety concerns but I don't think it's possible to satisfy the requirements of a highly safe car with one that also someone is going to want to work on/be affordable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I understand the safety concerns but I don't think it's possible to satisfy the requirements of a highly safe car with one that also someone is going to want to work on/be affordable.

exactly, i love the idea of restoring a car provided the kid is in to it, which it sounds like she is! and its probably great for her to drive and enjoy as well in a supervised way

flightless greeb posted:

How come we all care more about the safety of this guy's kid than he does. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me!!

yeah i mean fundamentally it is OPs decision here but i am a bit surprised by the assessment of risk

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

You also might be overestimating how much driving of said vehicle she would be doing. Any kind of long haul trip and she's gonna be in whatever the best car for one of us to lend her is unless an adult is with her. Also in Oregon 16 year olds are not allowed to drive with friiends in the car or after certain hours. I'm not gonna give her a car and say "Good luck and be home by the time I wake up!" It will be a gradual release as with any additional responsibility I give my kids.

School won't be more than a couple miles away, there's no freeway driving to go most places around town from here, etc.

therobit fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 10, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

therobit posted:

School won't be more than a couple miles away, there's no freeway driving to go most places around town from here, etc.

Don't mean to pile on, but one thing I learned while getting my motorcycle license is that freeways are way safer than surface streets. On one hand, there is a lot more energy involved should something happen. On the other hand, you are on a divided road way with (generally) good lines of sight, all the traffic moving in the same direction, no stop lights, and no vehicles crossing your direction of travel. On surface streets, you gotta deal with people turning left in front of you, coming in from side streets, failing to stop or running reds at intersections.

Granted, on a motorcycle, you have zero protection and every "interaction" is highly dangerous, so prevention of an accident is the most important thing.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I think that old car refurbished with care + teen driver who's been to a defensive driving school + owner who puts seasonally appropriate tires on the car + actual attention to tread depth all adds up to at least the 60th percentile of road safety. Sure, you could do better, but it's hardly irresponsible behavior.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Get a cheap donor '98-'10 "New Beetle" and the Smyth pickup kit and have at it. A $1,000 bug is likely going to need a host of things to get roadworthy, but they're a mk4 Golf at heart so they're nothing insanely complicated.

https://www.smythkitcars.com/

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I did something dumb today and hosed up my 2010 Jetta’s turn signal cover on the passenger side mirror.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2YdJlyS

Here’s the passenger side compared to driver’s side so you can see it’s now missing.

Any recommendations on a site to buy a replacement? Is this something that I, a dumbass when it comes to cars, can just pop back in there or will I need to take it somewhere? Also is it one of those deals where moisture is going to get in there and gently caress it up?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
ECS Tuning has some, but they seem a bit expensive? Looks like it's the whole assembly, not just the cover.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/mirror-mounted-turn-signal-lens-right/1k5949102/

Doesn't seem that bad to replace, but lots of small clips that can break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1C9jkP1gI

EDIT: put that part number into Amazon and got a listing for half that price.

EDIT2: Double check my link! It seems like there are two versions for the MKV Jetta, so make sure it's for the correct year.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 14, 2020

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

ECS Tuning has some, but they seem a bit expensive? Looks like it's the whole assembly, not just the cover.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/mirror-mounted-turn-signal-lens-right/1k5949102/

Doesn't seem that bad to replace, but lots of small clips that can break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1C9jkP1gI

EDIT: put that part number into Amazon and got a listing for half that price.

EDIT2: Double check my link! It seems like there are two versions for the MKV Jetta, so make sure it's for the correct year.

Yup, did it on my Rabbit, was about a 45 minute job being super careful not to snap anything.

Look around on eBay as well, there’s a handful of VW dealers selling VW parts directly.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I got smoked ones for my JSW on eBay for like 25 bucks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I found the exhaust leak on my jetta. I think this was put on in 2013. I replaced the muffler myself last year and assumed my questionable work had come loose, but no, it's the shop's questionable work. I think I can save the cat and resonator if I can double butt join this piece of poo poo, but that's a good 5 1/2 inches to cut out. Why use stainless when regular steel is so cheap?!?!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Are you sure that isn’t factory? My 2010 GTI had a similar connector that eventually rusted out, I think I found a replacement for less than $20

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__GTI/Clamp-Pipe-Muffler-Front--Rear/48126313/1K0253141N.html

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DrChu posted:

Are you sure that isn’t factory? My 2010 GTI had a similar connector that eventually rusted out, I think I found a replacement for less than $20

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__GTI/Clamp-Pipe-Muffler-Front--Rear/48126313/1K0253141N.html

Yeah, the whole thing was replaced due to a bad flex pipe and other bits around 7 years back. The car is a 2003 and I think the factory one was what got replaced. Those clamps are pretty normal, I got one with my replacement muffler but didn't use it since it's not stainless. Also the aluminized steel does hold up okay, it just seems that anywhere with steel clamps or welds will rot out. When I got the muffler the replacement stainless one was like $180 vs. 150 for the aluminized steel so I went with that. I then used some stainless clamps and I've since found that some of their hardware wasn't stainless, so I guess you're just really hosed over if you want longevity from an exhaust. I should have the stuff in to fix it on Wednesday, though.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 1, 2020

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Is a 2019 golf alltrack with the panoramic roof gonna be the ninthish worst mistake of my life? I’ve heard conflicting things about the reliability of it depending on model year, recalls, etc. The one I’m considering would still have a nearly seven year warranty too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i own a 2019 S, no roof, and deliberately chose it to avoid the roof. i love a good glass roof but avoided it in the end for a few reasons.

1) the problems with the roof did not seem to be related to normal drains-type problems, but seemed to potentially be structural where the roof seal was coming unseated from the body of the car due to twisting motions. therefore, although it could be fixed, fixing it did not solve the root cause.
2) in general, water ingress problems are difficult to diagnose and fix, so even if the car is under warranty it will still sit at the dealership for a long time
3) unless the headliner is replaced ($), it's very obvious that there were ingress problems and this will destroy value of the car in the used market
4) stepping up to the SE cost like five grand more as all of them had larger wheel package. it seemed like a lot to pay roughly 22% more for the car in order to get the roof and automatic climate control since i didn't give a poo poo about any of the other things and actively did not want the wheels.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I had chance to drive my old B8.5 S4 today. It's weird but it felt faster than my current B9 S5. I think it's because the throttle response was instantaneous with the DSG and 3.0 supercharged V6. With the ZF 8 speed on the new 3.0 turbo V6 Audi programmed in a slight delay so it takes about a 1/2 a second for anything to happen when you press the gas. Also the stock exhaust seemed a bit louder on the S4.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Mr. Apollo posted:

I had chance to drive my old B8.5 S4 today. It's weird but it felt faster than my current B9 S5. I think it's because the throttle response was instantaneous with the DSG and 3.0 supercharged V6. With the ZF 8 speed on the new 3.0 turbo V6 Audi programmed in a slight delay so it takes about a 1/2 a second for anything to happen when you press the gas. Also the stock exhaust seemed a bit louder on the S4.

ThanksObama I forget who I was listening to explain that it's something about emissions/noise tests and how it's like triggering full throttle from a 30 roll or something for a set amount of second and measuring noise. The anecdote was that a model S failed because of road noise due to how much acceleration it could get in that time span.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Well thread, my 2015 S3 decided to have trouble starting beginning last night. It gives a couple tries, and usually fails with either Pre-Sense System Fault or a TPMS error on the dash, though a few others have showed up. The infotainment comes up fine though. I had marginally more success starting it from neutral. As of today the touch unlock doesn't seem to be working reliably either. No codes of note when I pulled them. Anyone want to take bets on the cause? Going to the dealer monday because I have minimal ability to work on it (no multimeter, etc)

E: my hope is the battery just undervolting things and getting all kinds of weird failures

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yes the difference is night and day.

I sidegraded from a B9 S4 to a C7.5 A6 and I ended up buying out the A6 as that powertrain is a keeper.
Even with the extra weight of the A6, the supercharged 3.0 is just so immediate.

It must have pained the engineers to have to program that lag into the B9.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

A Man With A Plan posted:

E: my hope is the battery just undervolting things and getting all kinds of weird failures

Probably this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

A Man With A Plan posted:

Well thread, my 2015 S3 decided to have trouble starting beginning last night. It gives a couple tries, and usually fails with either Pre-Sense System Fault or a TPMS error on the dash, though a few others have showed up. The infotainment comes up fine though. I had marginally more success starting it from neutral. As of today the touch unlock doesn't seem to be working reliably either. No codes of note when I pulled them. Anyone want to take bets on the cause? Going to the dealer monday because I have minimal ability to work on it (no multimeter, etc)

Yup first place to start is the battery, so many gremlins can be summoned on these cars by a flaking out battery.