Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I think the term Bonk Ban helps me realise where some of the perception of "she'll be right" Australia, at odds with generally relatively pedantic behavior of Australians.

I think a lot of Europe/Africa/Asia will not as commonly use an irreverent term for a policy (for eg) but would also not follow it as strictly or be concerned that others were not following it. The act of casualising the title for a serious business concept allows for the topic to be discussed in general conversation without sounding like talking rules and regulations. And it is generally the case that the more you talk about something, the more it is in the minds of people as they go about their business.

Admittedly, in this case there is extra interest because the party of conservatives has generally been the mob to hold everyone else to their values so double tasty to rub the bonk ban into their faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

On the bristol scale

If you go by number of breasts it looks remarkably like the Dewey system.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Knobb Manwich posted:

If you go by number of breasts it looks remarkably like the Dewey system.
Something, something, Braille.

In case some of you had surprise lobotomies a reminder that Christian Porter is the Attorney General. They are without a single doubt the person most likely to heavily compromise Australia's most vital intelligence assets if they were to fall victim to a honey trap. More over the whole edifice of the Protective Security apparatus relies on everyone in the hierarchy below him exercising extreme care in these 'intimate' matters. Once upon a time the merest suggestion that an AG had been exposed to a compromising situation would have led to an immediate shame faced resignation. Not our CP nuh uh he's looking at the courts for defamation. Another thing he should know as AG is unlikely to fly. It really is beyond the pale/satire.

Mr Lord, known to his family as Bud, had a heart attack while in hospital awaiting gall bladder surgery. He was serving a jail sentence for driving disqualified. An inquest found his health care in hospital was adequate but his family called for changes to the laws that allowed him to be jailed for driving while disqualified, saying they unfairly targeted Aboriginal people and those in remote and regional areas. A 2017 review by the Australian Law Reform Commission later found the laws overwhelmingly affected Aboriginal people.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Labor MP and resources spokesman Joel Fitzgibbon quits Shadow Cabinet

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/11/redistribution-could-put-ayres-in-danger-of-losing-penrith-at-next-election/

Huh. How...weird.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Cartoon posted:

Something, something, Braille.

In case some of you had surprise lobotomies a reminder that Christian Porter is the Attorney General. They are without a single doubt the person most likely to heavily compromise Australia's most vital intelligence assets if they were to fall victim to a honey trap. More over the whole edifice of the Protective Security apparatus relies on everyone in the hierarchy below him exercising extreme care in these 'intimate' matters. Once upon a time the merest suggestion that an AG had been exposed to a compromising situation would have led to an immediate shame faced resignation. Not our CP nuh uh he's looking at the courts for defamation. Another thing he should know as AG is unlikely to fly. It really is beyond the pale/satire.

Mr Lord, known to his family as Bud, had a heart attack while in hospital awaiting gall bladder surgery. He was serving a jail sentence for driving disqualified. An inquest found his health care in hospital was adequate but his family called for changes to the laws that allowed him to be jailed for driving while disqualified, saying they unfairly targeted Aboriginal people and those in remote and regional areas. A 2017 review by the Australian Law Reform Commission later found the laws overwhelmingly affected Aboriginal people.

No, I think there is a single doubt - much of the national security apparatus is in Home Affairs these days, it was shuffled out of AGD. Luckily, we have our paragon of justice Dutton there, the man of iron, who I'm absolutely positive has no skeletons in his closet and genuinely has the interests of all Australians at heart, his disdain for corruption perhaps only equalled by his concern for human rights and the rule of law.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Jobseeker is getting extended past Christmas to March, but at a lower rate again. $100/fn, down from $250/fn, down from $550/fn.

Hmm $40 a day is not enough to live on... What about $47 dollars a day?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Australians are not leanahs mistah speakah

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Good, now the tory scum of Glenbrook can be nullified by the rest of the mountains

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Knobb Manwich posted:

Jobseeker is getting extended past Christmas to March, but at a lower rate again. $100/fn, down from $250/fn, down from $550/fn.

It's so hosed that it got cut in the first place, no way it would have been dropped if NSW had been in a Vic style lockdown.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Labor MP and resources spokesman Joel Fitzgibbon quits Shadow Cabinet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Who is anthony alanese and the 'labor' party?

do they know we spell labour with a U in australia?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Laserface posted:

They are #6

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Knobb Manwich posted:

less money into the economy will certainly make those jobs reappear

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Knobb Manwich posted:

Wouldn't it be great if we could trust out fellow citizens to use their experience receiving sub-poverty payouts to vote the LNP out en masse at the next elections and force a massive increase in payouts so that they're finally at a liveable level.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Laserface posted:

Do not fuckin troll me like this outside of gbs it's humiliating

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Laserface posted:

uh it's spelled LAHBAH thank you very much

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

Good, now the tory scum of Glenbrook can be nullified by the rest of the mountains

Rightfully so.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
holy gently caress, the Rockhampton mayor has resigned due to some dodgy conduct with adani now Chris Pineapple Hooper will be the mayor. this is gonna be great. Chris is pretty great, I convinced him to let some grindcore and hardcore bands play in the community space he runs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-10/who-is-chris-hooper-rockhamptons-next-possible-mayor/12867074

e: he's a greens member

e2: apparently he won't be mayor gently caress

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yeah Qld alp jammed some laws this morning, realised that would happen as a result and immediately overturned them. Unicameral democracy Baby

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Senor Tron posted:

It's so hosed that it got cut in the first place, no way it would have been dropped if NSW had been in a Vic style lockdown.

Stupid NSW, with your poo poo good contact tracing, ruining it for the rest of us.

Mr Chips posted:

less money into the economy will certainly make those jobs reappear

Yeah I didn't post Morrison's comment about how businesses and people are graduating from needing economic support, I wasn't sure I'd survive reading it again.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wouldn't it be great if we could trust out fellow citizens to use their experience receiving sub-poverty payouts to vote the LNP out en masse at the next elections and force a massive increase in payouts so that they're finally at a liveable level.

Hahahahaha.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Do not fuckin troll me like this outside of gbs it's humiliating

Malcolm Trnbeg

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

:siren: I hosed my maths phone posting earlier. The supplement rate from Christmas is $150/fn, not $100. Sorry.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
why did queensland even have laws saying the runner up becomes mayor if the current mayor resigns

ah I found it, it was changed in some new laws introduced by labor earlier this year, still doesn't really make sense:

quote:

Mr Hinchliffe said the laws had initially been changed in a bid to discourage councillors from running in the October state election, but conceded the laws had not “really been successful”.

“There were a number of councillors who contested the state election,” he said.

“It obviously didn’t prove to be a disincentive as it was intended.

“Particularly when you see examples across the state where mayors have been elected on large margins, communities want to have a say in who can be their mayor going forward.”

Mr Hinchliffe also claimed the initial law changes were about reducing the cost to local government and maintaining stability in councils.

“We’ve seen that in practice it didn’t achieve the outcomes that we were seeking,” he said.

lih fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 10, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Mayors shouldn’t be directly elected, they should be elected by the councillors each year so they can spend their entire time plotting against each other and let the bureaucracy actually run the council unimpeded

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Why am I not surprised:

https://twitter.com/LindaBurneyMP/status/1326028874505887744

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

lol how loving dumb do you have to be to throw away free goodwill points

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, just like... why?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I guess they just really hate first nation peoples.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

I guess they weighed up "hey, this is a neat gesture" sentiment that doesn't actually require anything from them against "rabble rabble bloody abbos rabble rabble special treatment rabble rabble virtue signaling"

Which, the former is the obvious correct choice, but knowing Australians, yeah

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

kirbysuperstar posted:

They know their voters

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's meaningless LAYBAH virtue signalling mister speaker

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

I imagine that even if you ignore the fact that the number of people who think they should do it is probably outweighed by the number who would complain about how there isn't a special flag for white people, making the net goodwill negative, even the gross goodwill would be very minimal. How many of the people who would consider that a good thing would think "oh I guess the liberal party isn't so bad" vs the ones who'd say "that's just an empty gesture, take some real action on a treaty"?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
And here is why the ALP will lose the next federal election:

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/fitzgibbon-quits-after-climate/12870542

JM died in Canberra hospital one month after being denied a lung transplant because he was a heavy smoker. He was just 26 years old but had been diagnosed with usual interstitial pneumonia, an untreatable disease caused by scarring of the lungs which is usually seen in people aged 50 and over. He was serving a 13-year sentence at Alexander Maconochie centre.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cartoon posted:

And here is why the ALP will lose the next federal election:

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/fitzgibbon-quits-after-climate/12870542

JM died in Canberra hospital one month after being denied a lung transplant because he was a heavy smoker. He was just 26 years old but had been diagnosed with usual interstitial pneumonia, an untreatable disease caused by scarring of the lungs which is usually seen in people aged 50 and over. He was serving a 13-year sentence at Alexander Maconochie centre.

Because leadership is putting it's foot down on coal lovers?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

That is surprising, that used to be the whole concilliotory deal, The Acknowledgement and the Flags and poo poo like that

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Someone post the dial a minute silence newspaper ad, classic.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

What's a "cheesecloth brigade"? :psyduck:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Dunno but as a hardcore cheese enthusiast that sounds like something I’d be into.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Buttcoin purse posted:

What's a "cheesecloth brigade"? :psyduck:
"hippies"

JAA died from ischaemic heart disease, but the relevant contribution of chronic lung disease and the possibility of concurrent drug toxicity was difficult to completely exclude at that time. JAA's sister was distressed that she was unable to care for him in the last weeks of his life and was forced to leave that to others in the prison. The coroner also found it most unfortunate that she was left wondering whether or not her brother was comfortable in his last days and weeks.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://twitter.com/olivialeeming/status/1325972867771559936?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

ISSUES RAISED: None