Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yakuza 7 is the best Dragon Quest game ever made

It’s “Like A Dragon” not “Is A Dragon.” There’s a very subtle difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon (Quest Game)

If not for the fact that Valhalla comes out today and I don't want my SO to feel like she's keeping me from playing Y7 by stabbing europeans with genetics or whatever, I'd be doing some turn-based good deeds in Kamurocho right now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ethiser posted:

Yeah it's a Dragon Quest game, not a Breath of Fire game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ethiser posted:

True, Yakuza 7 is actually good

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

so what exactly does it have in common with dragon quest, if anything (real question)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Amppelix posted:

so what exactly does it have in common with dragon quest, if anything (real question)

The main character is a middle-aged Yakuza obsessed with Dragon Quest (by name) to the point where the justification for turn-based battles is that he hallucinates every street fight as a jprg battle.

None of what I just said is a joke.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's great, i had no idea they actually got DQ into the game explicitly (last time they referred to it in 0 they used an obvious fake name)

still, having turn based battles in your game is not exactly enough to say "this game's just like dragon quest!!!" which is why i asked if they actually have anything in common

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I had a pretty good chuckle at my first level up. One of the stats is magic.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They consulted with SE, though this resulted in the translators being told that they couldn't insert any more direct DQ references than already existed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In addition to what was posted above;

1) The main characters default job is "hero"
2) You get a silver key that opens all silver chests in the world
3) When a character joins your party it does the Dragon Quest zoom in and pose thing + a knockoff DQ jingle
4) People do not shut up about Dragon Quest related things like talking about grinding the slimes of life in one scene
5) Random enemies can have wacky, useless moves that cannot succeed and exist purely for flavor
6) It has (I can barely see them it loads so fast) little sprite versions of the characters and will play 16 bit sounding jingles during quests

Combat wise it feels like a natural evolution of DQs aka acceptably good and modern unlike DQs staid junk

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 11, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gently caress, every single thing i see about yakuza 7 makes me more mad it's not on PC

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the temptation to skip from kiwami 1 to 7...

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Amppelix posted:

gently caress, every single thing i see about yakuza 7 makes me more mad it's not on PC

Good news, it is :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

the temptation to skip from kiwami 1 to 7...

Its an all new character, takes place after Yakuza 6, all new (huge) town area, and story is unconnected.

It is by far the best Yakuza game so far for me and Im only in Chapter 3

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Amppelix posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1235140/Yakuza_Like_a_Dragon/ ?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, the only thing Yakuza 7 isn't on is switch and a patched version for PS5.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Huh, why did i have the distinct impression it was exclusive?

did i mix it up with like FFVII remake or something

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Sounds like it.

Its the current go-to showcase for the difference between last gen and next gen in my opinion because I cannot imagine how brutal playing this on a base bone would be

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Amppelix posted:

You might be unlucky, like me!

:negative:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Which Atelier game should I play if my last ones were Dusk Sky and Mysterious Book?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean depending on if you liked mysterious book i feel like basically anything would be a good pick outside of maybe the way older ones, the only modern games that are really seen as questionable in quality at all are sophie and firis. you could play ayesha since it's the prequel to dusk sky i guess?

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 11, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hell yeah like a dragon is good

Anyone know what's up with the timing based attacks? I've tried pressing the button at different times, and failing it, and it never seems to do anything at all.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't think it's a thing for your own basic attacks, it's just referring to the button prompts that come on screen to power up your skills. Perfect guards are the only thing you can do without prompts.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes i know. That's what I'm talking about. The timing button prompt appears to do literally nothing so i must be doing something wrong

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You mean Ichi's default special? You have to mash it out, when you do it enough it'll let you know. It's not a single button prompt

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I knew someone would say that

But no i don't mean that either. The actual timing-based ones

The mash action command is real easy and says what it does when you succeed too, which is why I'm so baffled that i can't seem to get anything out of the other one with any timing

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

There are two types of skill command, there's the mash (pretty self explanatory) and a timing based one. The timing one took me a little bit to figure out because you're supposed to hit the button when the circle constricts around the button, not when it's just in the general blue area.

The worst part is that every skill that uses the timing based one has a different timing window, some are pretty generous and some are really specific.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amppelix posted:

I knew someone would say that

But no i don't mean that either. The actual timing-based ones

It probably would have been worth heading that off in your original post then

Sorry tho

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I tried, i did!

Thanks for the proper timing info though, that helps. It really isn't very apparent from the prompt itself when you're supposed to press. Which is kinda bad considering that's its whole job

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
you can turn off the timing prompts in the settings and the game will just randomly throw you bonuses instead - it works out to about the same as doing it yourself

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

you can turn off the timing prompts in the settings and the game will just randomly throw you bonuses instead - it works out to about the same as doing it yourself

Yo what? This rules, RPG of the mother fuckin generation

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Amppelix posted:

Hell yeah like a dragon is good

Anyone know what's up with the timing based attacks? I've tried pressing the button at different times, and failing it, and it never seems to do anything at all.

if it's the Y prompts, you need it to hit the literal inner circle, took me a while to understand ngl, the rest is just timed for perfect guard with B and mashing with X

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

yeah i noticed that but i do like pressing buttons so i haven't felt like turning it off yet

i'll probably get tired of the mash command at some point and do it though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yakuza 7 added sneaking into high level zones to my turn based RPG and it rules.

There are some issues here and there (job changing is a little annoying) but its so so good

Edit: Game is ahistorical, Virtua Fighter 5 came out 14 years ago, not 18. IMMERSION RUINED

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 12, 2020

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Yakuza 7 was very easy for a pretty long time, but holy poo poo did it get start to get hard after Chapter 7 and I absolutely do not appreciate these boss fights. I mean grinding for this is pretty on brand for a jrpg, but god they feel awful

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yakuza 7 added sneaking into high level zones to my turn based RPG and it rules.

There are some issues here and there (job changing is a little annoying) but its so so good

Edit: Game is ahistorical, Virtua Fighter 5 came out 14 years ago, not 18. IMMERSION RUINED

You think that's nutty, Virtua Fighter 5 exists in the year 2000 prologue chapter with posters for it too. The Sega Arcade buildings are just isolated from the normal timestream.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That would answer quite a few things about Sega tbh.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

HGH posted:

You think that's nutty, Virtua Fighter 5 exists in the year 2000 prologue chapter with posters for it too. The Sega Arcade buildings are just isolated from the normal timestream.

There is a visible Club Sega sign in a flashback that takes place in 1976, because you see it through a window and they only changed the inside for that scene.

Isolated from the time stream indeed.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 12, 2020

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009
Bought like a dragon and so far loving it. Always wanted a 3d modern take on a present time rpg. No space future or fantasy past. Just me grinding through life with my buds. Strangely even though I usually prefer arpg's I never really stuck with any of the prior yakuza games. I think I needed more stats and gear for my lizard brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i didnt get far in vp2 because the battle system was slow and sucked in comparison