Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Biden regime will be a LOT more profitable for the worst industries in America, which is why it’s critical the CIA and the rest of the surveillance state gets to oversee who gets picked to which position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Penisaurus Sex posted:

10pm is when fullservice restaurants see a massive drop off in non-bar business.

It's a way of moralizing the disease. It's related to the protestant sickness at the root of America. Out after ten = Immoral pleasure seeker who wants to drink, deserving of COVID.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the only surprise about bidens transition people is that they have the med weed guy from west virginia, some harm reduction advocates, and an ACLU person on the agency review team for drug policy so it's gonna be the whitest drug war detente ever probably

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Wamsutta posted:

why is 10pm the magic time all these useless cuck governors have decided covid suddenly reads its ugly head

it’s when the Covid-19 gang comes out

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

FAUXTON posted:

the only surprise about bidens transition people is that they have the med weed guy from west virginia, some harm reduction advocates, and an ACLU person on the agency review team for drug policy so it's gonna be the whitest drug war detente ever probably

i mean the feds have basically surrendered in the war on drugs. only thing it's useful for now is either extremely low-level stuff (so the pigs can harass poor people and black people) or extremely high-level stuff (so the super pigs can harass latin american/middle eastern/eastern european countries)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kitten emergency posted:

i mean the feds have basically surrendered in the war on drugs. only thing it's useful for now is either extremely low-level stuff (so the pigs can harass poor people and black people) or extremely high-level stuff (so the super pigs can harass latin american/middle eastern/eastern european countries)

yeah but I was promised joe arpaio and the revenant of mayor daley

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

yeah but I was promised joe arpaio and the revenant of mayor daley

c-spam has been wrong about literally everything this year, why would we start being right about the biden administration?

like i think we can take half-credit on calling the ball on covid early, but i was promised that there would be food riots by now

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ConversationUS/status/1316475282417758210

quote:

How pneumococcal vaccination protects against COVID-19

Protection against serious COVID-19 disease by pneumococcal and Hib vaccines makes sense for several reasons. First, recent studies reveal that the majority of hospitalized COVID-19 patients, and in some studies nearly all, are infected with streptococci, which causes pneumococcal pneumonias, Hib or other pneumonia-causing bacteria. Pneumococcal and Hib vaccinations should protect coronavirus patients from these infections and thus significantly cut the risk of serious pneumonia.

I also found that pneumococcal, Hib and possibly rubella vaccines may confer specific protection against the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19 by means of “molecular mimicry.”

Molecular mimicry occurs when the immune system thinks one microbe looks like another. In this case, proteins found in pneumococcal vaccines and, to a lesser degree, ones found in Hib and rubella vaccines as well look like several proteins produced by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Two of these proteins found in pneumococcal vaccines mimic the spike and membrane proteins that permit the virus to infect cells. This suggests pneumococcal vaccination may prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection. Two other mimics are the nucleoprotein and replicase that control virus replication. These proteins are made after viral infection, in which case pneumococcal vaccination may control, but not prevent, SARS-CoV-2 replication.

Either way, these vaccines may provide proxy protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection that we can implement right now, even before we have a specific virus vaccine. Such protection may not be complete. People might still suffer a weakened version of COVID-19 but, like most infants and children, be protected against the worst effects of the infection.

Fighting influenza-related pneumonias during the COVID-19 pandemic

While the specific protection these other vaccines confer against COVID-19 has not yet been tested in a clinical trial, I advocate broader implementation of pneumococcal and Hib vaccination for one additional, well-validated reason.

Pneumococcal and Hib pneumonias – both caused by bacteria – are the major causes of death following viral influenza. The influenza virus rarely causes death directly. Most often, the virus makes the lungs more susceptible to bacterial pneumonias, which are deadly. Dozens of studies around the world have demonstrated that increasing rates of pneumococcal and Hib vaccination dramatically lowers influenza-related pneumonias.

Similar studies demonstrate that the price of using these vaccines is balanced by savings due to lower rates of influenza-related hospitalizations, intensive care unit admissions and deaths. In the context of COVID-19, lowering rates of influenza-related hospitalizations and ICU admissions would free up resources to fight the coronavirus, independent of any effect these vaccines might have on SARS-CoV-2 itself. In my opinion, that is a winning scenario.

In short, we need not wait for a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine to slow down COVID-19.

I believe that we can and should act now by fighting the coronavirus with all the tools at our disposal, including influenza, Hib, pneumococcal and perhaps rubella vaccinations.

Get your flu, pneumonia and MMR shots, folks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kitten emergency posted:

c-spam has been wrong about literally everything this year, why would we start being right about the biden administration?

like i think we can take half-credit on calling the ball on covid early, but i was promised that there would be food riots by now

the Biden administration doesn’t need to be predicted, they are coming right out and saying that you can go gently caress yourselves and die

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Epic High Five posted:

The Health Transition Team is there to oversee the building of the health team, which is to say ensure ideological purity among eventual picks. This is why they're using spooks, who are trained in identifying the correct psychological profile of obedience to the status quo. Not a single person picked will be without a reason to maintain the state in it's current form lol

Also expect more head scratching poo poo like this because Bidens transition team was over a thousand people 3 months ago and its doubtless WAY bigger now

Yeah everyone I've checked has a harvard/yale pedigree and/or their entire career has been Being The System. Lots of ACA architects, insurance consultants, medicare/medicaid people, leadership at well-connected orgs, career DHHS people.

Succbot Circlejerk posted:

I know you say you're not trying to be smug but there's no reason to make things up.

Sorry, I saw the claim in multiple threads and found no evidence and just want to poo poo on biden to my friends with only the finest purestrain examples of him sucking rear end, with receipts. If it went up then got memory-holed then my bad. I can't find any other lists on his transition site through archive.org though - the list went up last night at https://buildbackbetter.com/the-transition/agency-review-teams/ with the same group of people on it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
how do I tell my best friend that, "yes, $500 is a large downpayment on hotel fees that would suck to lose, but going to el paso right now is a literal deathtrap"

:shepicide:

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

kitten emergency posted:

in fairness, the food lines in texas were 8 miles long and very few people who had any foreknowledge of any of the basics of "how to not spread disease as fast as humanly possible" predicted that america's entire response to the migrant agricultural workers getting massively sick would be to weaponize them to spread disease as fast as humanly possible and die.

bernies funemployment bux delayed a lot of the worst social fallout from the pandemic but fortunately we're about to have student loans go back into payment, the delayed social security tax bill, the end of the eviction moratorium, and likely continued police rebellions all hitting during winter when the federal government will be shut down for weeks or months

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

how do I tell my best friend that, "yes, $500 is a large downpayment on hotel fees that would suck to lose, but going to el paso right now is a literal deathtrap"

:shepicide:

sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a drug

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Hello is this the Trump thread?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

in fairness, the food lines in texas were 8 miles long and very few people who had any foreknowledge of any of the basics of "how to not spread disease as fast as humanly possible" predicted that america's entire response to the migrant agricultural workers getting massively sick would be to weaponize them to spread disease as fast as humanly possible and die.

bernies funemployment bux delayed a lot of the worst social fallout from the pandemic but fortunately we're about to have student loans go back into payment, the delayed social security tax bill, the end of the eviction moratorium, and likely continued police rebellions all hitting during winter when the federal government will be shut down for weeks or months

oh sure, i'm not saying that it ain't bad and that it ain't gonna get worse, but people were literally predicting widescale riots and starvation and the destruction of the republic. thankfully covid isn't quite as deadly as we gave it credit for.

that said, dark fuckin days ahead.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
https://www.facebook.com/bandswithbeans/

I'm glad I get flu shot every year like a good little health care worker bee. And the pneumonia vaccine 4 years ago when I got all hosed up on pneumonia.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i wonder which state breaks first and institutes a lockdown.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kitten emergency posted:

i rolled a 6 on that prediction and thus by the law of dice had to believe it

rolled a 1 on the food riots one and got scolded about The End Of History which is lol more every day

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

In Training posted:

i wonder which state breaks first and institutes a lockdown.

hawaii probably

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MorrisBae posted:

7/11 is actually on Uber Eats now, lol

That just means the delivery person has to go instead of me and they don't have a respirator

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A lot of the lack of total collapse was because we did not, in fact, ever close down the supply lines or factories because poor and non-white lives have zero value in this country so literally nobody who could stop the mass deaths in those places ever felt the need or pressure to lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

How bad do you think the droplets would be from a popped gum balloon

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

someone asked about half-face respirators (this has been mentioned several times, we really should have a copy/paste catchall for this)

You want a 3M 6*** series

Size is denoted by three digits after the ‘6’
6100: small, 6200: medium, 6300: large
Takes 3M bayonet cartridges

Respirator, size medium: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/6200-07025/7693860

Another option, size medium: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/7502/6827884

3M 7093 cartridges are sealed P100 cartridges. Best overall protection. Digikey: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/7093/6827875

digikey is a legit place that ships quickly

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

FAUXTON posted:

hawaii probably

We literally just reopened to tourism barely a month ago. Not gonna happen.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How are you guys surprised that no one is doing anything that's actually going to impact the spread of corona? People are really tired of being inconvenienced and that's before you get to the economic impacts that mayors and governors actually care about. We "tried", that's as good as it's going to get.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I dont get the drive to test "everyone" once.

Like, it seems like a superspreader event, if we could give people tests every 3 days and get results in a day...

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
It's loving sickening that I get to have rapid testing twice a week while people wait hours in line and then days for results

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

*laughs in immunity*

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I do wonder what the errors on those are like.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SKULL.GIF posted:

*laughs in immunity*
for now

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

im the one on the right, completely naked except for boots and a chinmask

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Another 100k day :sun:

SKULL.GIF posted:

If we actually manage to break 100k on Sunday we are probably not going to have a day under 100,000 until 2021.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

*laughs in immunity*

BAH GAWD THAT'S MINK VARIANT'S MUSIC

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Person being punched in the face repeatedly for at least 20 minutes

How do you know he's going to punch me you've been wrong about everything!

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

can someone recommend a decent half mask + filters? I am trying to do research but my kids are swarming me atm, and I'm concerned about accidentally buying something that won't actually protect me that much

i think this is all of them

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Lol the food riots didn't happen because no sane person would have predicted Americans opting for the deathnado

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Raine posted:

im the one on the right, completely naked except for boots and a chinmask

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/03/artist-goes-shopping-naked-except-face-masks-protest-coronavirus-lockdown-12794672/

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Dry ice is -110F/-80C and you can get it at pretty much any grocery store in the country.

people keep saying this.

people are idiots who don’t know how logistics work, especially temperature controlled logistics.

its going to be real hard to distribute that vaccine properly. not impossible, but very very hard. it’s going to be slower than everybody expects.

this isn’t throw it a a cooler with some dry ice. this is keeping container or trailer loads at temperature in a variety of exterior conditions. it gets hosed on the reg for much warmer set points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

its going to be real hard to distribute that vaccine properly. not impossible, but very very hard.

And "very hard" is way beyond the United States capability