Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
amd said yesterday that another big shipment should be going out in a couple of weeks. we'll see.

i'm still loving the 3600 and honestly am less hot on getting the 5900x until some time next year when things calm down a god damned bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, I've been needing to update my i7 2600k for a good while now, but was holding out until the end of the year with the Zen 3s dropping. I can wait longer but I was all excited at the start of the year thinking of have it built for Xmas.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Dear sirs,

I would like to capitalism please.

-TR

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd be totally fine with a queue system but just staring at <Backordered> in the status is no help. i'd even prepay for it if it guaranteed me a spot in line. but noooo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
i'm glad i got a 3900 just before this because lol. i'll take the slight performance hit in exchange for actually having a processor before 2021

i've completely given up on getting a new graphics card; maybe i'll get a notification from evga before christmas, but i doubt it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

TerminalRaptor posted:

This is the most bizarre timeline. I have money and want to give it to people, and they are physically unable to produce their product in enough supply for me to even have chance of getting it until next year. These are all products where this has never been an issue in the past.

Right now I can't get a processor, video card, or monitor.

The monitor thing really irks me as I had it and sent it back due to a dead pixel.

its definitely been an issue in the past, i remember trying to grab an nvidia gtx470 (lol) at launch and just persistently refreshing newegg until they got more stock in

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

TerminalRaptor posted:

This is the most bizarre timeline. I have money and want to give it to people, and they are physically unable to produce their product in enough supply for me to even have chance of getting it until next year. These are all products where this has never been an issue in the past.

Right now I can't get a processor, video card, or monitor.

The monitor thing really irks me as I had it and sent it back due to a dead pixel.

a lot of soundbars and wifi enabled speakers are having huge component shortage issues this year too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
logitech c920s are still a fuckin hundred bucks and you'll be waiting for the shipment to come in, 2-3 weeks from now

's why i went to weird industrial webcams, which are better anyways.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
my biggest fear, that I posted in another thread, is that my current system is being held together by farts and hope and may go out at any time considering it previously cooked something and then decided to saunter on like nothing happened.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah my current desktop has one hard drive plugged in that no longer mounts, another spewing smart errors, a case fan that shredded itself, and a power supply making distressing noises. this build was, in part, out of need.

the gazillion cores is just greed

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
So what's the preferred cooling solution for a CPU these days? I was going to get a huge-rear end heat sync like this https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07YLKPWL5?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 but apparently liquid CPU coolers are all the rage now https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JWB5BSN?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1?

I'm old and dumb and it sucks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
comedy option: refrigerant cooler (like water cooling but you actually use a compressor and phase transitions instead of just passive heat transfer)

run it on r290 for the king of the hill jokes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

just get a big block of aluminum and call it a day. video card is going to be making way more noise than the cpu fan anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TerminalRaptor posted:

So what's the preferred cooling solution for a CPU these days? I was going to get a huge-rear end heat sync like this https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07YLKPWL5?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 but apparently liquid CPU coolers are all the rage now https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JWB5BSN?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1?

a noctua nh-u14s or nh-u12s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jabor posted:

comedy option: refrigerant cooler (like water cooling but you actually use a compressor and phase transitions instead of just passive heat transfer)

cryocoolers are becoming a thing. they work so well that they come with a silicone shield that sits over the socket to keep condensation from forming and dripping into your CPU socket

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TerminalRaptor posted:

AIO Liquid coolers and good air coolers perform well enough that your CPU won't throttle if you installed them properly, so it's pretty much whatever you feel like dealing with. If you got room in the case I find AIO coolers easier to install and they take up less overall room IMO, but good air coolers legit work just as well and almost certainly have a better MTBF.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

noctua

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jabor posted:

what is this, xtremesystems circa 2008??

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
lol the eshop i bought my 5900 from is getting raked on reddit for contacting customers by phone telling them to pay 90$ for expedited shipping or wait months for their pre-order

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they're gonna put the ebay scalpers out of business by moving it in-house

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I saw something this morning with one retailer saying their orders might but be fulfilled until March!

Apparently Amazon is getting sporadic shipments in though.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

they're gonna put the ebay scalpers out of business by moving it in-house

vertical integration!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

a noctua nh-u14s or nh-u12s

the scythe coolers are also pretty good but yeah, this is yospos and we jam our computers full of noctua tan. join the cult. nobody has ever left it.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

the scythe coolers are also pretty good but yeah, this is yospos and we jam our computers full of noctua tan. join the cult. nobody has ever left it.
i got one that nearly fills the entire volume of the itx case it’s in.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Laslow posted:

i got one that nearly fills the entire volume of the itx case it’s in.

both my 4670 box (with a 150mm) and my ryzen box (with a 120mm) have <4mm clearance between the heatpipes and the side panel. i fill those fucken cases UP

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

both my 4670 box (with a 150mm) and my ryzen box (with a 120mm) have <4mm clearance between the heatpipes and the side panel. i fill those fucken cases UP
my brother sold me the computer for probably not much more than just that heatsink/fan is worth, heh.

e: i even think it might be one of those dual fan models, but im not cracking open a perfectly working itx box to look. it idles at like 20c, somehow less than room temperature, so does it even matter at that point?

Laslow fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 11, 2020

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
also i’m jealous of jonny and the rest of you zenhavers. since i’m on a haswell at the moment, but it does everything i do instantly still despite being 6 years old because it’s a 4GHz xeon with enough ram and ssds to hold out til ddr5. just some major upgrade blueballs because im from an era where 18 months was the standard upgrade cycle. not like i really miss that, ofc.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

consumerism's dyin' cloud

highly underappreciated post

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Laslow posted:

also i’m jealous of jonny and the rest of you zenhavers. since i’m on a haswell at the moment, but it does everything i do instantly still despite being 6 years old because it’s a 4GHz xeon with enough ram and ssds to hold out til ddr5. just some major upgrade blueballs because im from an era where 18 months was the standard upgrade cycle. not like i really miss that, ofc.

core 2 completely broke the 18 month new computer cycle and i for one am here for it. The PC shop I worked in shut down because core2 and ipads shattered the lovely-pc-for-grandma market.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bet a really nice core2quad with an SSD and a bunch of RAM would still be pretty usable today. not for rendering or gaming, but for general websurfery? sure

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

core 2 completely broke the 18 month new computer cycle and i for one am here for it. The PC shop I worked in shut down because core2 and ipads shattered the lovely-pc-for-grandma market.
hell yeah. my core 2 quad lasted me from ‘08-‘15. it just sucks because i like building computers. but nothing now is gonna replicate the feeling of going from a 1 core opteron to a c2 quad. or slapping in an intel x25-m(after paying a king’s ransom for 80 gigs, lol) and having windows 7 beta install in like 10 minutes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I bet a really nice core2quad with an SSD and a bunch of RAM would still be pretty usable today. not for rendering or gaming, but for general websurfery? sure

i forget the model number but i still have a core2 1.83 ghz box bopping around and it absolutely browses and plays tf2 just fine even with integrated video

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

highly underappreciated post

it's a sleeper hit

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i forget the model number but i still have a core2 1.83 ghz box bopping around and it absolutely browses and plays tf2 just fine even with integrated video
My old C2Q 2.6GHz is still fine, it’s a DDR3 board which may help. If my current computer melted down and had to use it as a backup, I wouldn’t notice a difference except for games newer than GTA5. That’s 12 years old. Imagine trying to use an original Macintosh as your main computer in the year 2000.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Jonny 290 posted:

I had two of those in the office until recently, and for 99% of things they were just fine but some stuff one core would sit at 100% utilization and confuse the person sitting there. I spent about $8 shipped for a 2.6 ghz upgrade.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

my 2010 mbp with an ssd is still super snappy and works great. it didn't have a core2, but it's still a 10 year old processor that works fine.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
Radeon sold out faster than rtx 3000 lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
microcenters doing $399 3900x's and i'm tempted to just do that and get the pain over with

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are these new video game cards better than the other brand of video games card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

are these new video game cards better than the other brand of video games card

yes, they're quite fast. When one of the seven people on the planet that managed to get ahold of one post some benchmarks, you'll be amazed.

LOL tech sucks now, you can't buy anything new unless you stare at a discord and place six orders and wait for five to get cancelled