Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The issue with dining-in/bars is outdoor seating really isn't going to be possible in the NW to March/April, but the PPP program is starting to run out which means a bunch of businesses which likely have nearly zero income until this wave is over (and usually winter businesses is lower anyway). It is why Oregon is pretty much banning private gatherings but keeping the restaurants/bars open for business. It isn't going to work though.

That said, Oregon was still one of the better states, but it is clear there were choices that were made that would allow the virus to continue to persist until the conditions were right again (especially in institutions like nursing homes/prisons/food processing) and dining/bars allowed it to accelerate. Everyone knew months ago there would be a large autumn wave, but generally it was allowed to pass because it would mean a loss of business.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I walked by a packed bar today and could not understand it. A plate of appz and a beer doesn't magically make it okay to sit around in recirculated air with strangers.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I walked by a packed bar today and could not understand it. A plate of appz and a beer doesn't magically make it okay to sit around in recirculated air with strangers.

Sometimes a business needs a bit of human sacrifice...

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

the mozzarella cheese sticks are worth dying for

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

In local elections news, all of the King County charters look to be passing at between 85% to 55%*. This is an unmitigated good thing.

*as I type this I'm wondering if we have thay weird threshold for passing. something to look up.

e: no threshold, the gently caress The Sherrifs amendments definitely passing, lots of wailing articles everywhere.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 9, 2020

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

now that the election’s over i wonder if we’ll get any candidates announcing their run for seattle mayor before the end of the year

i have heard a lot of rumblings that mosqueda will go for it, and it sounded like nikkita swore off another run but she has also made some tweets suggesting she might

jenny gotta go (which she probably will...... to the biden admin...... as secretary of crowd control)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

now that the election’s over i wonder if we’ll get any candidates announcing their run for seattle mayor before the end of the year

i have heard a lot of rumblings that mosqueda will go for it, and it sounded like nikkita swore off another run but she has also made some tweets suggesting she might

jenny gotta go (which she probably will...... to the biden admin...... as secretary of crowd control)

I think Mosqueda is a genuine bright spot on the SCC and would vote for her as mayor in a second. She's got a rare combination of grinding out the policy work and sticking to some level of principle.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

The city council is working on next year's budget right now and Mosqueda is chair of the budget committee so there's almost no way she declares in the next several weeks, she is already mega busy right now. But if I was her I'd want to declare as early as possible next year. Get on the record as a frontrunner candidate and maybe fewer other challengers from the left declare themselves. You don't want to wait until there are a dozen people already in the race.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

gohuskies posted:

The city council is working on next year's budget right now and Mosqueda is chair of the budget committee so there's almost no way she declares in the next several weeks, she is already mega busy right now. But if I was her I'd want to declare as early as possible next year. Get on the record as a frontrunner candidate and maybe fewer other challengers from the left declare themselves. You don't want to wait until there are a dozen people already in the race.

Unless one of those dozen is a legitimate heavy-hitter or Teargas Jenny gets a Biden Admin lifeboat, she will be the frontrunner the minute she declares. Her eyes have been laser-focused on the Mayor chair for years.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I would love Nikkita to run again, but based on what they said I don't see them running again.

Given what Portland went through re-electing Tear Gas Teddy, I'm genuinely concerned we'll have an Abilene Paradox and re-elect Durkan should she seek another term.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gonna have some good cranks running i bet, maybe a loser city council candidate (ari hoffman, officer sergio) will give it a go in the primary

i hope shaun scott runs for an at large seat, with how close it was against pedersen i think he’d have a good shot at winning

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

gonna have some good cranks running i bet, maybe a loser city council candidate (ari hoffman, officer sergio) will give it a go in the primary

i hope shaun scott runs for an at large seat, with how close it was against pedersen i think he’d have a good shot at winning
Those seats are held by Mosqueda and Gonzales right now; if one of them bails for mayor, that'd be good, but I don't see much reason for a hard progressive push at getting them out. They're not the best, but they're pretty deece.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

by god is that egan orions music

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Mapps is making it very clear he's a shithead and he's not even sworn in yet - https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2020/11/06/commissioner-elect-mingus-mapps-blisters-portland-protesters-referring-to-some-as-the-white-mob/

quote:

"On a personal level, I want to say something to Commissioner Ryan: I feel you," Mapps said. "Your story reminds me of my story and it reminds me of the African American story.…I know what it's like to wait up for the white mob to roll up on your house in the middle of the night because you have the audacity to vote or you had the audacity to hope."

Mapps is talking about people protesting at Ryan's house after he did an about-face and voted against a small cut to the PPB budget after campaigning on the assertion that they needed to do even more than the small proposed cut.

A brand new Portland city commissioner is already working to flatten the protests in Portland into a modern KKK rally.

jkyuusai fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 10, 2020

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Mingus Mapps more like this dingus is crapps! *Sharp nose exhale*

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Varinn posted:

drat that would be incredible, completely forgot about him and would love to see him get rinsed again

i wonder if any has-runs will go for a council seat, like sara nelson or heidi wills

Thanatosian posted:

Those seats are held by Mosqueda and Gonzales right now; if one of them bails for mayor, that'd be good, but I don't see much reason for a hard progressive push at getting them out. They're not the best, but they're pretty deece.

yeah i suppose i was assuming at least one of them will run for mayor, so there will likely be an open seat to run for

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Varinn posted:

I thought he turned back into bioreactor feedstock after Amazon disconnected the Life Emitter.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah i suppose i was assuming at least one of them will run for mayor, so there will likely be an open seat to run for
Yeah, they are both up for election at the same time as the mayor.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Let's be honest here, that would first require someone on the national stage to acknowledge that Washington State even exists.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Let's be honest here, that would first require someone on the national stage to acknowledge that Washington State even exists.

I could see Inslee in a Biden cabinet. Maybe we'd matter then.

(Still never mattering.)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BlueBlazer posted:

I could see Inslee in a Biden cabinet. Maybe we'd matter then.

(Still never mattering.)

Inslee just won a bigger electoral mandate than Biden, I don't see him moving unless the bait is positively rapturous.

Like becoming Harris' VP.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Solkanar512 posted:

People talked about CHAZ, lol.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RuanGacho posted:

Inslee just won a bigger electoral mandate than Biden, I don't see him moving unless the bait is positively rapturous.

Like becoming Harris' VP.

He's also recently discovered that he can influence national politics via his AG and other state government actions, so I can't imagine Inslee leaving the warm, comfortable embrace of Washington state for a C-tier post in a Biden administration that's a) well to the right of him on the issues like climate change he cares about and b) hosed by our national politics and the Republicans which will hamstring their ability to do anything much less give him authority at the EPA to pursue what he sees as the public interest. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Crumbskull posted:

People talked about CHAZ, lol.

Yes, but our only other contribution to national political discussion was the WTO protest 20 years ago. We were barely acknowledged for our part in OWS.

When I think of what a washington state having a strong presence in national political discussion would look like, I think of something like how msnbc has been constantly sucking Cuomo's dick throughout the covid pandemic just because he stood up to president cheeto. Could you ever imagine a theoretical Governor Sawant getting that kind of attention? Hell, imagine Inslee getting that kind of attention.

It probably doesn't matter though. If we can do more lefty stuff in our state, I think we'll be fine without national recognition.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yes, but our only other contribution to national political discussion was the WTO protest 20 years ago. We were barely acknowledged for our part in OWS.

When I think of what a washington state having a strong presence in national political discussion would look like, I think of something like how msnbc has been constantly sucking Cuomo's dick throughout the covid pandemic just because he stood up to president cheeto. Could you ever imagine a theoretical Governor Sawant getting that kind of attention? Hell, imagine Inslee getting that kind of attention.

It probably doesn't matter though. If we can do more lefty stuff in our state, I think we'll be fine without national recognition.

Passing the $15 minimum wage got a lot of stories where "Seattle is going to Detroit itself".

Washington state has around half the population of NY and Florida and Pennsylvania. We're the size of Arizona, Tennesseee, Indiana and Mass and are discussed equivalently.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Gerund posted:

Passing the $15 minimum wage got a lot of stories where "Seattle is going to Detroit itself".

Washington state has around half the population of NY and Florida and Pennsylvania. We're the size of Arizona, Tennesseee, Indiana and Mass and are discussed equivalently.

Its funny because now Florida just passed $15 minimum wage. Also, Washington (alongside Colorado) was the first state to legalize weed and now every state that puts it on the ballot sees it pass. Even red states like Mississippi.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
PNW is pretty much the "grassroots" of American Leftism in terms of all the regions in the United States. At least when speaking to say the layman Midwesterner.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think it's important for us to realize that policies that are considered center-left or even centrist here are viewed as extremely left in basically the rest of the country.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Kirios posted:

I think it's important for us to realize that policies that are considered center-left or even centrist here are viewed as extremely left in basically the rest of the country.

Extremely left when we pass them but then center-left to centrist within a presidential cycle or two*

*except for our loving tax code

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kirios posted:

Jeff Bezos put Amazon in Seattle because Washington has the most regressive tax structure in the entire country.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Jeff Bezos put Amazon in Seattle because Washington has the most regressive tax structure in the entire country.

Wait, that actually works???

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Kirios posted:

please name some of these policies

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Oldest Man posted:

Oregon stays winning.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

please name some of these policies

Starbucks

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oregon stays winning.

Eh, Oregon income taxes are nearly a flat tax, it isn't as bad as a sales tax but not by much.

Also, Salem is extremely dysfunctional and I think a big part of the reason Oregon did fairly well through the pandemic until now is more do to its population than the state government.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

that seems unfair to the governor, who from what i understand has withstood multiple death threats and a recall attempt over her correct handling of covid?
the population of oregon outside the cities seems to be pretty opposed to masks and other sensible measures

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Relevant Tangent posted:

that seems unfair to the governor, who from what i understand has withstood multiple death threats and a recall attempt over her correct handling of covid?

perhaps we should not be determining the value of kate brown's management of covid based on the responses from unhinged reactionaries

that said I agree 100% with Ardennes and will say that the kowtowing to capital that brown exhibited during the initial response to covid set the stage for very awful results that we narrowly dodged

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 12, 2020

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Relevant Tangent posted:

the population of oregon outside the cities seems to be pretty opposed to masks and other sensible measures

Btw quite a few cases were from institutions (especially prisons) that were under state control but ignored but also the state turned a blind eye to food processing and nursing homes. There were high number of cases in certain rural counties (especially on the border with Idaho), but it was larger institutions that kept it going.

More recently, in response to record-breaking cases, Brown has limited gatherings to 6 people (not from a single household) but allowed restaurants and bars to have as many 50 patrons without masks on indoors. Basically, it is okay to spread the virus as long as its going to someone's pocket.

That said, we have known for months all of this was coming and so did state governments across this country and the common response seems to have been "let them die as long as everything rolling along"....until the point it gets so bad that everyone is terrified to leave their houses again.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 12, 2020

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
It's weird how much the red parts of Oregon hate Kate Brown. Her reponse to COVID has been tepid at best, but lots of folks hate her with a fiery passion. Oregon hasn't gone nearly far enough. So far, it seems like we've escaped the worst case scenarios through sheer luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Schwack posted:

It's weird how much the red parts of Oregon hate Kate Brown. Her reponse to COVID has been tepid at best, but lots of folks hate her with a fiery passion. Oregon hasn't gone nearly far enough. So far, it seems like we've escaped the worst case scenarios through sheer luck.

I would hold onto our butts until we are in past the weeks of sub-60 temps before saying we missed anything, personally. The AC belt got wrecked during the summer because they didn't lock down and couldn't hang around outside in parks.