Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Goddamnit.

Yeah, so, more info? 😅

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CODChimera posted:

True, that is a good point

My Etherfields arrived today, its honestly waaaaay better quality than I was expecting. It kinda feels like AR are just really good at this stuff? even their pledge manager is awesome. I don't have a ton of experience with this hobby though, i now own Etherfields & Planet Apocalypse, and i've only really played zombicide(lots of different versions), scythe and some other random games.

I am starting to get a bit concerned with the amount of stuff to paint though

Tainted Grail's first campaign was easily my favorite boardgaming experience this year and Etherfields looks amazing. Between that, what I've seen of people playing The Edge (I now own it but haven't had a chance to play), previews of The Great Wall, and what people are saying about Nemesis I feel like the idea that they're really good at this is well supported.

I'd say I can't wait til the ISS Vanguard Kickstarter they've been teasing, but...actually I kinda can. It'll probably be an instant back for me, but I can wait to shell out that kinda money...

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

malkav11 posted:

Tainted Grail's first campaign was easily my favorite boardgaming experience this year and Etherfields looks amazing. Between that, what I've seen of people playing The Edge (I now own it but haven't had a chance to play), previews of The Great Wall, and what people are saying about Nemesis I feel like the idea that they're really good at this is well supported.

I'd say I can't wait til the ISS Vanguard Kickstarter they've been teasing, but...actually I kinda can. It'll probably be an instant back for me, but I can wait to shell out that kinda money...

I'm still loving waiting for my Tainted Grail, I don't know how every other campaign manages to ship their kickstarter exclusives with the main games without a year in between, but gently caress, this company is slow.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

OgreNoah posted:

I'm still loving waiting for my Tainted Grail, I don't know how every other campaign manages to ship their kickstarter exclusives with the main games without a year in between, but gently caress, this company is slow.

Most companies aren't shipping three times as much second wave stuff as core game box. Like, the second wave includes two more campaigns the size of the first wave campaign, a third half-length campaign, another entire minis box (which, granted, they hadn't planned to start with and can reasonably be blamed for), and the Memories of the Past achievement/character-specific reward expansion. And remember, COVID hit in between.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Serial fucker-upper of TG-adjacent Kickstarters Ken Whitman seems to be re-emerging on the [url]https://notanotherdime.blogspot.com/2020/11/ken-whit-whitman-resurfaces-on.html]Knights of the Dinner Table live action series[/url] and the Traveller film Kickstarters he did. There is speculation, based on previous recent actions of his, that he might be gearing up to try and rehabilitate his image and go back to the crowdfunding well in some capacity.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
I'm not sure if this has been discussed in the thread yet but for those interested in an inertia/drifting spaceship combat game take a look at Velocity: Vanguard.

It is 1-4 players, looks gorgeous and has what looks like fairly decent crunchy mechanics.

Sadly with 9 days to go Precarious games are living up to their name and are 12/65k along.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As neat as it looks I'm not sure I'd want to take the time to play a game with physics based movement, seems too crunchy if you ask me.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
We just launched our second game on Kickstarter! This time it's all about dogs. Dirt Dog is a cute card game for 2 or 4 players that takes around 20 minutes to play. In the game you control a dog that has to run an underground burrow filled with obstacles to try and get by the critter at the end. Once you've run a burrow, you reverse roles with your opponent and construct a burrow for them to run through. Each dog has a pool of moxie they can spend to get by obstacles they otherwise can't pass. The dog with the most moxie at the end of the round wins that round. Best out of 3 rounds wins the game.

This game is quite a bit different from our first game, Bee Lives: We Will Only Know Summer. I hope you'll check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/dirt-dog

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

nesbit37 posted:

We just launched our second game on Kickstarter! This time it's all about dogs. Dirt Dog is a cute card game for 2 or 4 players that takes around 20 minutes to play. In the game you control a dog that has to run an underground burrow filled with obstacles to try and get by the critter at the end. Once you've run a burrow, you reverse roles with your opponent and construct a burrow for them to run through. Each dog has a pool of moxie they can spend to get by obstacles they otherwise can't pass. The dog with the most moxie at the end of the round wins that round. Best out of 3 rounds wins the game.

This game is quite a bit different from our first game, Bee Lives: We Will Only Know Summer. I hope you'll check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/dirt-dog

Instantly backed to have my dog added to the game. Bee Lives is such a great game.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Hedningen posted:

Instantly backed to have my dog added to the game. Bee Lives is such a great game.

Same! Never played Bee Lives, but this looks really cute and I am excited to have my doggo in the game!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Got news that the Disposable Heroes decks will be at my house on Friday!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Got news that the Disposable Heroes decks will be at my house on Friday!

That is amazing news! I'm very excited.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Hedningen posted:

Vidmaster posted:

Same! Never played Bee Lives, but this looks really cute and I am excited to have my doggo in the game!

Thank you both! Things have been a bit slower today than I anticipated, I need to start up some facebook ads and see if I can get any interviews in.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For those who like Chip Theory Games (Too Many Bones, Hoplomachus, etc) and their particular brand of poker chip and neoprene mat excess, they have a 10 day Kickstarter running for their newest thing: burncycle.

$115 base game, $140 game with a couple expansions, $295 if you want a bunch of dumb extras like brass figures and playmats and drawbags and whatnot.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
To elaborate a little, burncycle is a coop cyberpunk stealth game where you are robots infiltrating corporate buildings to confront the CEO for your own freedom. Patrolling guards with vision ranges and facing, hacking (including wireless), efficiency management with a randomized "burn cycle" of actions where you step from one action chip to another (and can skip chips) - you can do whatever with each, but get a special bonus if your action matches the chip. It looks quite cool.

And yes, the production values will be excessive. They even poke fun at themselves a bit with the playmat. "Put your neoprene on your neoprene". (The rooms will be individual neoprene mats instead of the cardboard tiles you might see elsewhere.) Personally while I support more affordable games generally, at least Chip Theory's high ticket luxuries are ones that make the game nicer for me. Minis, not so much. (Though they have those too, in this one. In brass, because why not, I guess?)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

malkav11 posted:

To elaborate a little, burncycle is a coop cyberpunk stealth game where you are robots infiltrating corporate buildings to confront the CEO for your own freedom. Patrolling guards with vision ranges and facing, hacking (including wireless), efficiency management with a randomized "burn cycle" of actions where you step from one action chip to another (and can skip chips) - you can do whatever with each, but get a special bonus if your action matches the chip. It looks quite cool.

And yes, the production values will be excessive. They even poke fun at themselves a bit with the playmat. "Put your neoprene on your neoprene". (The rooms will be individual neoprene mats instead of the cardboard tiles you might see elsewhere.) Personally while I support more affordable games generally, at least Chip Theory's high ticket luxuries are ones that make the game nicer for me. Minis, not so much. (Though they have those too, in this one. In brass, because why not, I guess?)

Oh, I should be clear, I love the hell out of Too Many Bones and have everything they made for it. I think all the high quality components do add a lot to the game experience, but I also recognize that some people might stick on paying for that kind of thing.

The brass minis remind of the big unnecessary spire minis they had for Cloudspire. Very cool to add atmosphere, not necessary if you don't want them.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh, I should be clear, I love the hell out of Too Many Bones and have everything they made for it. I think all the high quality components do add a lot to the game experience, but I also recognize that some people might stick on paying for that kind of thing.

The brass minis remind of the big unnecessary spire minis they had for Cloudspire. Very cool to add atmosphere, not necessary if you don't want them.

Oh yeah, I got that. I just wanted to say "hey, a lot of the time I whine about how expensive minis games are...these are also unnecessarily expensive but dangit, it's in a way I appreciate."

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I posted this in our project thread but I forgot to put it in a more public place:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silvervinepublishing/summon-skate-indie-japanese-rpg-translation-project

Our first Japanese indie TRPG translation project Summon Skate is up on Kickstarter. The game is already translated and we're in the final rounds of editing, so the KS is more of a pre-order campaign as we plan to have the game available the instant the campaign ends. We're offering a special 10% discount on both the PDF and print copies through the Kickstarter.

Summon Skate is an interesting mix of a simple Call of Cthulhu-esque investigation game and a tactical board game. Players investigate strange goings-on in their town, then duke it out with huge evil deities born from pure chaos. Their only weapons against these massive monsters are Figures - think Shin Megami Tensei demons, they're all based on mythological beings and creatures - who they summon by tracing out summoning diagrams. And, since there's no time in battle to sit down and sketch out those summoning diagrams, the players instead use skates, boards, bikes, wheelchairs, sleds, anything that can slide to magically draw out their symbols while avoiding enemy attacks. Mechanically, battle is all about cooperating and using a limited resource (your movement points each turn) to complete diagrams and summon different Figures to attack, defend, heal and support.

The guy who made the game - Lin Yasuda - is an awesome indie creator who deserves a little international recognition. He's made a life work of bringing everyone to the gaming table. Aside from Summon Skate he has projects focused on playing with large groups of children (targeted at playing in classrooms, with rules supporting up to 100 players at once), as well as games focused on helping neurodiverse players with specific needs ease into the hobby. He has given lectures at major universities in Japan about using gaming as a teaching medium, and has run many events for children and their families to get them interested in tabletop games. He designed Summon Skate from the ground up and provided all of the incredible full-color art.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the game here or in the Silver Vine Publishing thread. Please give it a look! We'll have a video with an example of how combat works up on the Kickstarter page soon!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

malkav11 posted:

Oh yeah, I got that. I just wanted to say "hey, a lot of the time I whine about how expensive minis games are...these are also unnecessarily expensive but dangit, it's in a way I appreciate."

I understand, and I didn't want my initial somewhat terse description to come off as negative!

In the interest of providing more info, here's a playlist from Chip Theory of short videos about how burncycle works, and then like a 40 minute playthrough of a floor: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoPCvPQMwbQcR9YJe8Q7ZQPHcjAp-Y4u1

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 11, 2020

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ff-picks-newest

Upzone - The Pop Up Wargaming & RPG Terrain System has started. Free dice if you kick in next 36 hours. It's pricey I think but one good way to get a wargaming or dungeon table up quickly.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Getsuya posted:

I posted this in our project thread but I forgot to put it in a more public place:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silvervinepublishing/summon-skate-indie-japanese-rpg-translation-project

This sound completely bonkers. I am in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Comstar posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ff-picks-newest

Upzone - The Pop Up Wargaming & RPG Terrain System has started. Free dice if you kick in next 36 hours. It's pricey I think but one good way to get a wargaming or dungeon table up quickly.

That seems really, really expensive to get tiles you can't effectively rearrange the centered terrain on.

Also their pictures of 'can this terrain hold my miniatures' has all the terrain bowing, not exactly a glowing testimonial...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Liquid Communism posted:

That seems really, really expensive to get tiles you can't effectively rearrange the centered terrain on.

Also their pictures of 'can this terrain hold my miniatures' has all the terrain bowing, not exactly a glowing testimonial...

Yep. They also don't show any real-world examples of the dungeon terrain.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Anyone who was excited about, then let down by the graphic design/layout choices for Lvl 99’s English localization of Sakura Arms will be happy to know the backpedaled and are staying more true to original.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/sakura-arms/posts/3015952

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
All this talk about minis languishment has inspired me to ACTUALLY do what I always intend to do when I back a stupid 10,000 Miniature Nightmare: Just use the minis to inspire my TTRPG poo poo.

Mountains of bootleg monstrosities based on minis I own, converted into statblocks and sold at bargain prices. The true Gygaxian way.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

All this talk about minis languishment has inspired me to ACTUALLY do what I always intend to do when I back a stupid 10,000 Miniature Nightmare: Just use the minis to inspire my TTRPG poo poo.

Mountains of bootleg monstrosities based on minis I own, converted into statblocks and sold at bargain prices. The true Gygaxian way.

This is basically what I'm doing with minis that look good in PLA. Gonna be a lot of fungus and rock men.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

That's been my intent all along as well. They go back into the game afterwards, but there's no reason not to use the excellent and consistent monster design some games have to create excellent themed adventures.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That Sentinels board game KS is in the final 48. It's added a lot of value and done a fairly good job separating gameplay from cosmetic stuff (like there's all-in gameplay and all-in cosmetic pledge levels). The models look good and reports say the gameplay is fairly evenly matched and not a cakewalk. And heck if you're like me and actually like the Sentinels universe, I can tell you that the right heroes won the community hero pack vote: Scholar and Parse.

The last few stretch goals definitely feel like overreaching though. It's a okay value without them (by insane KS standards), but it'll be a bummer when it invariably falls short of like two of the last stretch goals.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

theironjef posted:

I'll admit, I went full FOMO on the TMNT City Fall KS, and yes I've got a giant stack of very rarely used foot clan and Krang miniatures now, but that game is actually pretty fun! Even though I enjoy it, it just feels like too much stuff. Like if I want to play it with friends, I can try to stick to one box, but they know I have a special side box with Stan Sakai variant sculpts and rules and so now I need to go unpack Usagi for one player and dig up the Rocksteady dice set and rules for another one.

Gonna be so much worse when all the compatible BTAS stuff shows up.

you just gotta figure out an allinone storage solution

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

breadnsucc posted:

you just gotta figure out an allinone storage solution

Oh that would be phenomenal. This is the stack of just TMNT stuff. Two core boxes, one mid-grade expansion, 5 little boxes of yet more models and dice, and the giant stretch goal box full of, you guessed it, a crapload more miniatures and dice and stuff. Disneyland Coke Ball included for scale. And the Batman set is basically going to be the same stack.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

theironjef posted:

Oh that would be phenomenal. This is the stack of just TMNT stuff. Two core boxes, one mid-grade expansion, 5 little boxes of yet more models and dice, and the giant stretch goal box full of, you guessed it, a crapload more miniatures and dice and stuff. Disneyland Coke Ball included for scale. And the Batman set is basically going to be the same stack.

I condensed all of that into the two core boxes, but I’m fine with plastic zip baggies and some people aren’t.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Oof yeah, no, can't. Too expensive to immediately start destroying for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

That Sentinels board game KS is in the final 48. It's added a lot of value and done a fairly good job separating gameplay from cosmetic stuff (like there's all-in gameplay and all-in cosmetic pledge levels). The models look good and reports say the gameplay is fairly evenly matched and not a cakewalk. And heck if you're like me and actually like the Sentinels universe, I can tell you that the right heroes won the community hero pack vote: Scholar and Parse.

Aw. I was hoping for Young Legacy but I can't get angry at what amounts to a plastic version of The Dude with a Philosopher's Stone.

Which one is Parse?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Aw. I was hoping for Young Legacy but I can't get angry at what amounts to a plastic version of The Dude with a Philosopher's Stone.

Which one is Parse?

Ooh, couple things:

1. Parse is the archer one, Aboriginal Australian, computer brain as a result of seeing cosmic root language during an accident (and Aspergers's before that, I think written before the DSM absorbed that into autism, I hope?), starts out all Punisher style root cause murderer but softens over time.

2. The general belief seems to be that the last character to unlock in the cosmic expansion will be Young Legacy. Personally I don't mind that she didn't win either vote, I was hoping to see an old magic guy and one of the two POCs before the main character's hot blonde daughter. But she is extremely popular and it looks like she's on her way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

Ooh, couple things:

1. Parse is the archer one, Aboriginal Australian, computer brain as a result of seeing cosmic root language during an accident (and Aspergers's before that, I think written before the DSM absorbed that into autism, I hope?), starts out all Punisher style root cause murderer but softens over time.

2. The general belief seems to be that the last character to unlock in the cosmic expansion will be Young Legacy. Personally I don't mind that she didn't win either vote, I was hoping to see an old magic guy and one of the two POCs before the main character's hot blonde daughter. But she is extremely popular and it looks like she's on her way.

Oh, wow. I just realized I'd had her confused with KNYFE all this time. That's cool. (I mean, Parse is cool, me getting NPCs mixed up not so much.)

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I was really hoping we'd get Fanatic, but I can't complain with the amount of characters in it now. Going to think really hard about this--I want it, but I have so many legacy minis games piling up now that my game group can't get together anymore. :sigh:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yooooo
https://www.twitter.com/SandyPugGames/status/1327399692192411651

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Signal posted:

Yeah, so, more info? 😅

I'm just grumbling because a big chunk of my money and time just got preallocated TO AN AVATAR GAME WOOHOO !

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Signal posted:

Yeah, so, more info? 😅

There's very little available. No release date or anything. The launch shouldn't be far away, because the BTAS game is supposed to ship in December. In fact, as far as I'm aware, the only info we have so far is this teaser note from the end of the last update while the campaign was active:

So it an act of severe cruelty on my part, I must admit that I'm not sure it's actually Avatar stuff and not specifically Korra stuff. No way to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So question for people here. When you throw a dollar at a project and decide not to back do you still go through the pledge manager or do you just ignore it?