Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Numlock posted:

If I got a 3ds id probably just buy the games through the eshop or physically. Prices don't seem unreasonable from looking around the net.

Edit:

And GBAs seem to be dirt cheap too.

Emulation sounds fun but eh I'm extremely lazy.

It takes an hour or two max and is a fun project. By all means buy 3DS games but I have zero qualms about downloading all the previous generations' games I've paid for about 3 times over in different formats to have them all in one place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Metroidvanias peaked with Link to the Past.

... I'm gonna allow this.

I do wish heart containers hadn't been split into four parts though. Hunting for that poo poo gets old.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Mega64 posted:

Metroidvanias peaked with Link to the Past.

Can't find the Kelly frame that gets used as an avatar but pretend I posted the 'sickos' guy going 'yes yes yes!!!'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Can't find the Kelly frame that gets used as an avatar but pretend I posted the 'sickos' guy going 'yes yes yes!!!'

:yeshaha:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've never played dark souls but I think hollow knight is fantastic

Claiming that people only like HK because of some relationship with DS is very stupid

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark souls doesn't play anything really like hollow knight, I think people who say that are trying to rub some of the Dark Souls cool off on Hollow Knight for some reason.

Hollow Knight isn't even in 3D!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've bounced off dark souls three times but have put nearly 100 hours into hollow knight

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I love Hollow Knight, think it’s the best metroidvania I’ve ever played (and I’ve played every Metroid game)

I love it for the incredibly detailed and in-depth world design, exploration, sense of achievement, tough but fair combat and its weird offkilter charm

I don’t like dark souls at all

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hollow Knight is NES hard but modern sensibilities fair

It's a legit Get Gud game in an age when mostly only rogue likes tend to be

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hollow knight is pretty mediocre.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hedrigall posted:

I love Hollow Knight, think it’s the best metroidvania I’ve ever played (and I’ve played every Metroid game)

I love it for the incredibly detailed and in-depth world design, exploration, sense of achievement, tough but fair combat and its weird offkilter charm

but... but... those are all dark souls things!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hollow knight is pretty mediocre.

whoa now, look out for this guy

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Dabir posted:

The answer to this depends on how much you care about having all the features of a game. The DS and the GBA Micro can't play GB or GBC games and the DS doesn't let you do GBA multiplayer, not even wirelessly, so for maximum versatility get a GBA SP (and check which version you're looking at, earlier ones have a front light while the later model is backlit). Get two and a link cable if you want to, for instance, fully complete Pokémon games.

The 3DS obsoletes the DSi (and the New 3DS is a strict improvement on the 3DS) but doesn't fully obsolete the original DS as some of the earlier DS games have extra features that use the GBA slot (Examples: Migrating Pokémon from R/S/E/FR/LG to D/P/Pt/HG/SS, optional boss fights in Mega Man ZX). If you care about having access to those you'll need an older DS. Having a DS as well as a 3DS will also let you use DS multiplayer features like, again, migrating Pokémon to B/W/B2/W2. I don't know of any 3DS games with single player content that you'd need more than one console to get to, even Pokemon has cloud storage now.

If you're going to get a DS, I'd recommend the original over the Lite because while the Lite is smaller and closes up more neatly, that size means GBA games stick out by about half an inch, and it has a flaw with its left hinge that means it'll start to fall apart way before the rest of the console shows any signs of wear.

Thanks this is what I was looking for.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dark souls doesn't play anything really like hollow knight, I think people who say that are trying to rub some of the Dark Souls cool off on Hollow Knight for some reason.

Hollow Knight isn't even in 3D!
The death retreival mechanic is a total darksouls rip but other than that hard game = darksouls for most people.

It is a good, good game with great atmosphere that absolutely does not respect the players time at all and that can be good as well as bad sometimes.

I don't think it's quite 'Nes hard' because it has well designed encounters instead of instadeath platforming (well usually) and bullshit enemy placement. Imo 'nes hard but with modern sensibilities describes Monsterboy, which absolutely does play like the levels were designed in 1990 but with modern checkpointing and no lives system the challenge is actually fun instead of impossible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fuligin posted:

whoa now, look out for this guy

Hey a hot take would be to call it bad

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fuligin posted:

Yeah and everyone told me to play dark souls because I loved Hollow Knight so I gave it a try, it’s a clumsy ugly game that doesn’t explain any of its mechanics, I really disliked it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah and everyone told me to play dark souls because I loved Hollow Knight so I gave it a try, it’s a clumsy ugly game that doesn’t explain any of its mechanics, I really disliked it

Ohhhhhh you're gonna get me all red and steamed at this rate

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Hollow Knight is NES hard but modern sensibilities fair

It's a legit Get Gud game in an age when mostly only rogue likes tend to be

It does feel like a throwback to games like Mega Man.
I just don’t have the time or patience like I did when I was 10, apparently.

With that said the world design and charm of Hollow Knight keeps pulling me back in. But it is a game I can only play in 1-2 hour chunks before I start getting frustrated and need a break.

Perfect for the Switch tho! Can play undocked while sitting next to my PC or TV and, when I inevitably get frustrated, put it down and do something else before picking it up again.

I don’t think I could get through this game if I was playing on PC or PS4.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Megaman Zero games had way more boss variety, complexity, and challenge and even those had the decency to spit you out right in front of the boss room. You get 3-4 lives, more if you're good, and the better you navigate the level the more chances you have.

Like platforming difficulty is a solved problem and has been for years. HKs idea of difficulty reminds me of Wildstar bringing back rep grinds.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

The death retreival mechanic is a total darksouls rip but other than that hard game = darksouls for most people.

OK, yeah, a 2D platformer metroidvania doesn't play anything like a 3D action RPG, but that's not what people are using as the point of comparison. It's a gloomy, melancholy game about exploring the ruins of a dead kingdom inhabited mainly by mad, hostile things, with a few remaining friendly faces who seem half-mad themselves, some of whom are on a similar quest to your own. Your character's reason for being there is at first mysterious, they simply knew that they had to be but not why. It has regular but sparse checkpoints represented by the character taking time to rest and prepare for the trials ahead. The similarities in tone are screamingly obvious.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Marx Headroom posted:

The Megaman Zero games had way more boss variety, complexity, and challenge and even those had the decency to spit you out right in front of the boss room. You get 3-4 lives, more if you're good, and the better you navigate the level the more chances you have.

Like platforming difficulty is a solved problem and has been for years. HKs idea of difficulty reminds me of Wildstar bringing back rep grinds.

it's okay for things to be challenging in different ways. shame on you for tainting Hollow Knight by association with Wildstar, that's a low blow

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Marx Headroom posted:

Nah the bench placement sucked but I'll take that over 'here's three attempts now do the whole stage again'.
Fortunately the Zero Legacy Collection fixes that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Numlock posted:

Thanks this is what I was looking for.

Serious rec from someone who plays a shitload of handheld stuff: Buy a New 3DS XL, hack it (it's easy-peasy) and you'll have access to every single handheld game Nintendo has made up until the Switch, as well as pretty much every NES and SNES game. The flawless DS back compatibility is amazing, plus there's a few great 3DS games (ie Picross)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Zero 1 had the terrible system that if you game overed you would fail the mission permanently. You could just reset the GBA but its still a weird choice that I will never understand.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Hedrigall posted:

I love dark souls, think it’s the best metroidvania I’ve ever played (and I’ve played every Metroid game)

Bud, you just described dark souls really well. Especially the dark souls that’s on the Switch.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

How does the dark souls port play in hand held mode? I should probably try it at some point. I hate myself a lot which has always seemed like the common thread between all the people I know who are v into souls games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

How does the dark souls port play in hand held mode? I should probably try it at some point. I hate myself a lot which has always seemed like the common thread between all the people I know who are v into souls games

It plays great. I played tons of it on the bus a few years back. Locked 30fps. Sound is a bit lovely compared to console but nothing game-destroying.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Drive-by hustleposting: my friend lost his dock a move about 9 months ago. He can't find any official ones for sale.

All he wants is a dock which won't break his Switch.

Which dock won't break his Switch?

(Cat's attacking my monitor again.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

Drive-by hustleposting: my friend lost his dock a move about 9 months ago. He can't find any official ones for sale.

All he wants is a dock which won't break his Switch.

(Cat's attacking my monitor again.)

Genki travel dock. Might be more expensive than a new official dock though, no idea

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They have official docks on the Nintendo Refurb store

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hammer Bro. posted:

Does he have the OEM power adapter or is that also missing?

The Genki Covert Dock is great, but it's not really a replacement for the OEM dock. You can't palm a Switch into the Genki--it doesn't work that way. If he's missing both the dock and the power adapter (he must be using a cell phone charger or something) and he likes the idea of the Genki then it's great for what it is.

Otherwise if you're in North America you can buy a refurbised OEM dock from Nintendo. You should also be able to find them "refreshed" on Amazon or eBay though with some markup, or straight-up used even.

Best Buy's Insignia dock was regarded as an OK third-party alternative for a while and was considerably cheaper than the OEM dock, but it's no longer available new and I wouldn't bother with finding one used given that the price has come down on OEM refurbs quite a bit.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Mr Phillby posted:

I enjoyed the game a lot I just think that uncritically praising boring/bad game design because it gave you the darksouls feels is dumb.
It's not bad. It's well-designed to evoke a specific feeling. If dying didn't suck, you wouldn't feel so incredibly vulnerable while exploring.

It's not boring. It's the opposite of boring. It's tense!

The devs want you to feel anxious while exploring and relieved when you find a bench. And yes, frustrated when you die. If you don't like feeling those things, there are other games that give you different feelings. Like Celeste. Celeste is also great and you never feel anxious about dying because it has checkpoints in every room. Not every game is for everyone!

A fair criticism would be like "the game is super well designed to make me feel anxious and careful and I don't want to feel that way."

And to whoever said Megaman is good at this difficulty stuff... with bosses it is, kind of, but mainly the strat is to get there with 3 lives, spend the first 2 learning their patterns, then hope you win on the 3rd try or burn an E-tank to guarantee it. And the way pits and spikes are insta-death in MM blows. Love spending 5 minutes getting back to the series of janky conveyors where one input late by a single frame or one bad RNG enemy bullet will send me right back again, and if I gently caress up 3 times I won't have enough lives to figure out the boss and will have to do the whole level again. If pits and spikes just took health it would be fine. (MM11 fixes this by letting you buy all kinds of stuff to mitigate the bad old-school design feels).

So what's the difference? Dying is frustrating in both.

In MM, you don't have choices about how far to press into the unknown. You just have to keep going and hope you don't get screwed because you grazed a spike. In HK dangers will take your health but aside from bosses, you'll have a choice: keep exploring with lower reserves and hope to find a bench, or double back and recover at safety.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Counterpoint, it's boring/bad.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

It took me an hour but I beat Hornet :toot:

On to the next boss!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Jimbozig posted:

A fair criticism would be like "the game is super well designed to make me feel anxious and careful and I don't want to feel that way."

this is exactly my feeling about the age of calamity demo. i can see what it is trying to do, and i can tell that it is doing it well, and i just have zero interest in doing that thing.

a game doesn't need to be bad for you to not like it, or good for you to like it. enjoyment does not need to be tied to some attempt to objectively judge a thing's quality.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hollow Knight is a great XCOM-like

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jimbozig posted:

Not every game is for everyone!
Thing is, there's a lot to enjoy in Hollow Knight even for people who may not be as adept at the bosses or otherwise turned off by the death mechanic. It's neat, maybe, but it's not essential. Celeste does it right with an assist mode that allows players with less skill (or even accessibility difficulties) enjoy the entire game on their own terms.

Modern game design often makes inclusions for skill levels, assist modes, "cheats" but Hollow Knight doesn't. Of course, this encourages the player to learn the ins-and-outs of the in-game systems in order to beat the game, and doing so might be more fulfilling for the people who are able to figure it out. But for those who hit a brick wall and bounce off the game, the lack of flexibility here means they really can't enjoy everything else the game has to offer.

Also, "NES hard" wasn't/isn't a good thing. There's a reason why modern NES releases all include save states or rewind features and that enables people to enjoy the games of their childhood that they really couldn't before.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 13, 2020

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It took me an hour but I beat Hornet :toot:

On to the next boss!

Congrats! The game really starts to open up soon and with your dash it’s a lot more fun to move around. I think if you can get past Hornet, you can beat the game. It’s a lot like the Father G fight in Bloodborne.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The NES period is kind of earmarked by a lot of arcade game designs crammed into games that don't necessarily have a reason to have them. A lot of modern 'arcade game' gameplay design principles were sort of figured out by a process of trial and error over the next few generations and the NES really aged the worst out of any of them as a result.

:350:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Jimbozig posted:

It's not bad. It's well-designed to evoke a specific feeling. If dying didn't suck, you wouldn't feel so incredibly vulnerable while exploring.

It's not boring. It's the opposite of boring. It's tense!

The devs want you to feel anxious while exploring and relieved when you find a bench. And yes, frustrated when you die. If you don't like feeling those things, there are other games that give you different feelings. Like Celeste. Celeste is also great and you never feel anxious about dying because it has checkpoints in every room. Not every game is for everyone!

And to whoever said Megaman is good at this difficulty stuff... with bosses it is, kind of, but mainly the strat is to get there with 3 lives, spend the first 2 learning their patterns, then hope you win on the 3rd try or burn an E-tank to guarantee it. And the way pits and spikes are insta-death in MM blows. Love spending 5 minutes getting back to the series of janky conveyors where one input late by a single frame or one bad RNG enemy bullet will send me right back again, and if I gently caress up 3 times I won't have enough lives to figure out the boss and will have to do the whole level again. If pits and spikes just took health it would be fine. (MM11 fixes this by letting you buy all kinds of stuff to mitigate the bad old-school design feels).

So what's the difference? Dying is frustrating in both.

In MM, you don't have choices about how far to press into the unknown. You just have to keep going and hope you don't get screwed because you grazed a spike. In HK dangers will take your health but aside from bosses, you'll have a choice: keep exploring with lower reserves and hope to find a bench, or double back and recover at safety.
The problem is that the tension comes from losing progress, the ghost busywork just feels extraneous and works against the open nature of the game.

Also guy upthread who said Hollow Knight has similar saving/exploration and tone/atmosphere yeah I can see that but also like Super Metroid and diablo existed before Dark Souls so its really only the death recovery mechanics that stand out as a specifically darksouls thing to me idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The NES period is kind of earmarked by a lot of arcade game designs crammed into games that don't necessarily have a reason to have them.

Why do you want rentals to kill the industry?

"If kids can beat the game in an hour, they won't buy them anymore!" :argh: