Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

The whole thing is like $30 on Amazon. Might need to pick it up.

Just my two cents but as a fan of OWoD and all that the box set is really really nice. It's probably one of my favorites I've picked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

Just my two cents but as a fan of OWoD and all that the box set is really really nice. It's probably one of my favorites I've picked up.

The boxset is really nice, comes with a copy of the Book of Nod in a nice cover and binding. It sits on my shelf next to the superior 90's vampire drama, "Forever Knight"

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.worldofdarkness.com/news/vampire-the-masquerade-companion-releases-in-december

Renegade Game Studios is doing the WoD books now, under the direction of Achilli. Free V5 companion dropping in December with Tzimice, Ravnos and Salubri, next book is gonna be Sabbat.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ElNarez posted:

https://www.worldofdarkness.com/news/vampire-the-masquerade-companion-releases-in-december

Renegade Game Studios is doing the WoD books now, under the direction of Achilli. Free V5 companion dropping in December with Tzimice, Ravnos and Salubri, next book is gonna be Sabbat.

I think it's awesome that Swede Drac got fired and WoD was handed over to Achilli. It's poetic justice.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Achilli running the show now is a good sign, I think. And with Modiphus no longer handling V5 development, maybe we'll get some drat books.

They haven't said anything about if/how this affects W5, have they?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So from little I understand, Attainments in Mage the Awakening are powered by your soul and rely on a mage shaping their very soul based on their legacy so that they can do that. Souls are also interchangeable even if you might pick up some traits from whoever's soul you swapped yours with.

If you swap souls with someone, do you lose Attainments? Are they based on changing the soul itself or the metaphysical container the soul fills in a mage? Would someone else gain your attainments? Would be an interesting mystery to figure out why someone's stealing attainments and putting them inside sleepers. Is it seeing if it works? Does it help people awaken?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Fantastic Alice posted:

So from little I understand, Attainments in Mage the Awakening are powered by your soul and rely on a mage shaping their very soul based on their legacy so that they can do that. Souls are also interchangeable even if you might pick up some traits from whoever's soul you swapped yours with.

If you swap souls with someone, do you lose Attainments? Are they based on changing the soul itself or the metaphysical container the soul fills in a mage? Would someone else gain your attainments? Would be an interesting mystery to figure out why someone's stealing attainments and putting them inside sleepers.

The metaphysical container; an attainment shapes the soul you stick into it, so while someone can learn your Legacy from a stolen soul, if you stick another soul in there you can still use the Attainments (and the soul thief would need to actually learn from and use the soul to figure out the Legacy, not just plug and play with the Attainments).

It's definitely a cool plot hook if someone is jamming Awakened souls into Sleepers to try to replicate or inculcate Legacy Attainments in them.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

The metaphysical container; an attainment shapes the soul you stick into it, so while someone can learn your Legacy from a stolen soul, if you stick another soul in there you can still use the Attainments (and the soul thief would need to actually learn from and use the soul to figure out the Legacy, not just plug and play with the Attainments).

It's definitely a cool plot hook if someone is jamming Awakened souls into Sleepers to try to replicate or inculcate Legacy Attainments in them.

See now I'm thinking those kind of experiments moving on to trying to forcibly shape sleeper's souls and then doing both. This would almost certainly end badly and with very damaged people.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

DantetheK9 posted:

Achilli running the show now is a good sign, I think. And with Modiphus no longer handling V5 development, maybe we'll get some drat books.

They haven't said anything about if/how this affects W5, have they?

W5 is still on track for next year, and apparently Second Inquisition and Player's Guide are still a thing.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

ElNarez posted:

W5 is still on track for next year, and apparently Second Inquisition and Player's Guide are still a thing.

If Modiphius handed these two books off to the new publisher, cool. If they're still insisting they'll release them, that's hilarious.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fantastic Alice posted:

See now I'm thinking those kind of experiments moving on to trying to forcibly shape sleeper's souls and then doing both. This would almost certainly end badly and with very damaged people.

Sounds like a campaign hook to me!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DantetheK9 posted:

And when we do get them, they won't be like Fall of London. Win-win.

Ravnos is going to be pretty interesting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Double post, but this was well timed with the mention of W5 and you ask yourself "Self, are they going to do anything with the now readily available knowledge that the idea of the wolf 'alpha' has been disproven?' The answer is... apparently, yes. (Thread.)

https://twitter.com/cyberawolf/status/1326935956461662209

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
While the tribe novels weren't great, they did mostly avoid the 'I am teh alphas' nonsense, and where they did use it, it was deliberately invoked as toxic and unhealthy behaviour by a Red Talon that cost her her family and lead to her disgrace.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Dawgstar posted:

Double post, but this was well timed with the mention of W5 and you ask yourself "Self, are they going to do anything with the now readily available knowledge that the idea of the wolf 'alpha' has been disproven?' The answer is... apparently, yes. (Thread.)

https://twitter.com/cyberawolf/status/1326935956461662209

I might have missed something, does this person have anything to do with W5?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I feel like the advice on what to do patterned off real wolf structures ignores that a lot of people probably aren't going to be playing in the same extended family and are even encouraged to come from entirely different tribes with no real pre-existing ties. The model of random wolves forced to live together in captivity and adopting ad hoc hierachical structures are probably actually closer to what a party is going to be than real-world wolf families are, and human structures for the same kind of initially leaderless group of people with no pre-existing ties often do involve someone trying to attain a leadership position through posturing and bullying.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

A found family might not be the best model for a volunteer war-party of werewolves gathered from across a regional werewolf community, but a bunch of strangers who were kidnapped at random from distant places and thrown into a captive space together from which they cannot escape probably isn't better.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

I Am Just a Box posted:

A found family might not be the best model for a volunteer war-party of werewolves gathered from across a regional werewolf community, but a bunch of strangers who were kidnapped at random from distant places and thrown into a captive space together from which they cannot escape probably isn't better.

Although that does accurately describe a fair number of WtA Rite of Passage packs...

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

"You are a violent and irrepressible miracle. The vacuum of cosmos and the stars burning in it are afraid of you. Given enough time you would wipe us all out and replace us with nothing -- just by accident."
Another reason why Forsaken is superior in every way is how the tribes are far less "extended family groups" and much more a sort of rite of initiation, and the "pack as found family" is far better integrated in the assumptions of the lore, especially in 2E.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

PantsOptional posted:

I might have missed something, does this person have anything to do with W5?

They're a freelancer who'll have their first WoD credit in the upcoming vampire companion. No idea if that means they'll be working on werewolf, but i'd guess the subtext of their post suggests so.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hunter the Reckoning 2nd edition is back on the table, baby!

That and a new edition of Demon the Fallen are definitely things I hope they get to. They name dropped Changeling so anything can happen.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

ElNarez posted:

I'm probably too excited for what's next for these poor bastards, but after the incremental improvements over the editions and Becket's Jyhad diary...

Arbite fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 13, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arbite posted:

I'm probably too excited for what's next for these poor bastards, but after the incremental improvements over the editions and Becket's Jyhad diary...

Oh, what have they got going on in the BJD?

Also I wonder if the Fiends enjoy being essentially the Sabbat now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Didn't BJD have *severe* executive meddling direct from Martin?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

Didn't BJD have *severe* executive meddling direct from Martin?

I don't think so. The dev said they collaborated to bring it more in line with 5th edition somehow, which as much as I respect him I can't help but laugh at the idea.

The Big Meddlings were the Shattered Dreams sidebar* and all the gross sexist and anti-trans stuff in Changing Ways.

* And this one was signed, but by chief editor Karim Muammar and not Martin.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 14, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Jyhad Diary definitely had non-zero meddling, and there are some references to stuff like the Beckoning that don't really make sense with what that book was doing, but they seem to be fairly minor overall.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
One of these days I need to get around to reading BJD - I remember having a Sensible Chuckle at people saying 'it must've been so much work to dig up all those minor leads like the Southron Lords!'

Project Update: My last hard drive crash wiped out all the charts (which needed redoing anyway) and the simplified merged file (purchasers will receive the following: an excel spreadsheet with individual sheets for every line with specific details, and a spreadsheet with the simplified entries - type of supernatural, subtype, location, dates of birth death and awakening/embrace/first change/etc, faction, eras of activity - for both individual lines and for all of them packaged together for overall population ratios etc. The standard entries are full of specific and niche datapoints like 'diablerist', 'cabal, 'haunt', etc) so I've been reconstructing that and all the geographical stuff, and other than a freshly discovered unfortunate blip (I accidentally flagged every vampire active in the modern nights as also active in antiquity. Easily fixed, fortunately, since I do all that editing seperate) it's on track but may be slightly delayed. Writing the actual book component at the moment too, but that's mostly just commentary on various figures and suggestions for ways to use them.

Poll update: Voting is still open. The most popular #1 pick is actually a 3-way tie at the moment between Sharpe's Wraith, Rome, and surprisingly, revisiting the 90s with the benefit of history. The latter makes sense but still surprises me to see it up there as a high-end first pick. The current front runner, the Danse Macabre of the 14th Century, actually only has one first-place votes - it's just the most popular 2nd or 3rd choice. Only one of you wants it as your first pick, though. It has some very interesting beats to work with, story-wise - not only is there the Second Maelstrom and the Black Death (and unlike the traditional Wraith approach, I fully intend to do some Stuff with its origins in Tibet) , but Stygia is building up to a major clash with the Fishers (and the Fishers, in turn, are actively deceiving other Christian sects, meaning that yes, there are indeed heretics this early - and not just Cathars. Fisher Antipope, anyone?), fae are still appearing regularly in the afterlife, the Knights Templar have just been repressed with public executions, the Stygian War of the Guilds is reaching its final act, and there aren't Necropoli-as-we-know-them yet - Stygia is still the active centre of Stygian society, rather than a distant metropole, meaning it will loom even larger in any Wraith game set here than in the modern nights.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BJD is really good. I haven't sat down and done a super deep read of it yet aside from a few chapters, but there's honestly some great stuff there. The Southron Lords are one and turning my hometown of Birmingham (Alabama, not England) into the nexus of Schismatic Assamite entry and activity is just so out of left field I love it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

That Old Tree posted:

I don't think so. The dev said they collaborated to bring it more in line with 5th edition somehow, which as much as I respect him I can't help but laugh at the idea.

The Big Meddlings were the Shattered Dreams sidebar* and all the gross sexist and anti-trans stuff in Changing Ways.

* And this one was signed, but by chief editor Karim Muammar and not Martin.

I thought BJD had the thing where vampires no longer have souls, and the only way to get a soul back is through Golconda, so every single vampiric wrath has now diagetically undergone Golconda, even the ones on paths other than humanity.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I’m all for that, as it implies Cappadocius’s master plan of ‘attack and dethrone god (by eating them)’ is a proven route to Golconda.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Shadows of New York has Aisling Sturbridge with devil horns. It's adorable.

Also I convinced a bunch of friends to play MtAw 1e with me next month and they're willing to do the like 500 pages of reading to wrap their head around the magic system, yay!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Loomer posted:

I’m all for that, as it implies Cappadocius’s master plan of ‘attack and dethrone god (by eating them)’ is a proven route to Golconda.
"Attack and diablerize God" is now my dark ages vampire's ultimate endgame goal, so thanks for this.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Jyhad Diary definitely has vampire wraiths in it, so.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

The Jyhad Diary definitely has vampire wraiths in it, so.

Yeah. I think that was a pure 5E take.

It'll be interesting to see Achilli sort out of the various messes if he attempts to tackle them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's an ideal player count for Promethean? I almost feel like I'd be better off running a game where multiple people influence a single Promethean cyoa style than trying to build a believable small town group or be stuck gming for 1 player.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, what have they got going on in the BJD?

Basically they're divided into three: A Ravnos methuselah rises in India with his same-gen brother and jump-starts the orthodox sect. Also he gifts Becket an old language, winning his love.

Meanwhile, Durga Syn has her group intact in Russia which was shielded from the worst of the Week of Nightmares and has her own agenda.

Lastly there are the scattered lost and damned remnants of the western Ravnos, with many survivors aligned with the Sabbat.

So yeah, pretty interested in what's next for that clan.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 15, 2020

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Arbite posted:

Basically they're divided into three: A Ravnos methuselah rises in India with his same-gen brother and jump-starts the orthodox sect. Also he gifts Becket an old language, winning his love.

So he's rebuilding the clan the old-fashioned way?

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I think that was a pure 5E take.

It'll be interesting to see Achilli sort out of the various messes if he attempts to tackle them.

Low key hoping they just quietly ignore the smaller ones (Looking at you Changing Ways).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DantetheK9 posted:

Low key hoping they just quietly ignore the smaller ones (Looking at you Changing Ways).

I don't think he has anything to do with Werewolf, but happily the new dev team aren't on the same page as Ericsson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm just going to hope that they get back on the train of creating proper digital PDFs of all the old books that still don't have them. What's really weird is that the last two books of Changeling: the Dreaming are still ancient scans.

What would be really nice would be if they actually got to the point of having everything fixed up on print-on-demand, but that's pie-in-the-sky at this point.