Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Getting abilities definitely makes the gameplay a lot better, which makes it silly that they don't just throw some at you upfront.

My biggest complaint now is the bug where killing and looting a loot carrying enemy doesn't clear the wealth icon/point from the map/region, unless you reload and come back and clear it again.

vvv Yes, some of the puzzles are so ridiculous that it makes it really hard to tell if something is straight up inaccessible for a quest or if you just aren't trying hard enough.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Viridiant posted:

Question: Are ways into barred houses generally pretty obvious?

This is like the fourth house I've spent a while trying to get into only to find out that you can only get into it through a story quest and it's getting really annoying, I'm only in the first England zone.

Can they just not show wealth dots on the map if they're a part of story quests? Would that be too much to ask?

I came across one in Tunnastadir (or something) that was absolute bullshit. You had to aim through one of those tiny crosshatched windows to hit a bolt on the door. Really dumb.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

beergod posted:

does this use the dualsense immersion stuff on the ps5 version

Spruchy posted:

No its lame.

But but sony created profiles! This time the proprietary controller feature will become standard! You'll see.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Whoever suggested turning off the compass, thank you. Reducing the hints and tips in general makes this feel more like a world I知 exploring than a GPS I知 following and it痴 much more fun for it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

Whoever suggested turning off the compass, thank you. Reducing the hints and tips in general makes this feel more like a world I知 exploring than a GPS I知 following and it痴 much more fun for it.

But if I turn off the compass I値l never be encouraged to climb every peak in a direct bee line toward the next treasure and, instead, will have to follow the roads and view the lovingly crafted scenery.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yo goons is this game good? I have never played an AC game before but I hear this is good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

PittTheElder posted:

Yo goons is this game good? I have never played an AC game before but I hear this is good.

The game is fun, but it's hard to tell because I've been playing AC games so long it almost feels obligatory. :ohdear:

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

The predator bow is pretty good. It would be amazing if it didn't zoom and put you in first person. I'd be fine if they just removed the changing perspective and kept the zoom being the sniper bow. Even still it's not to difficult to get a headshot in the middle of combat and is very satisfying.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ha this was very funny. I wish there was more of this. I haven't dont many mysteries and sidequests, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

I think a big part is just the color palette. The whole dark and misty England thing is a vibe, just not the same vibe as massive Zeus balls.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I have three related questions, when vendors sell gear, is that the only way it can acquired? As well is there any way to actually preview it instead of just dropping down a save? And lastly is there some trick to actually make silver cause despite all the raiding I've done I'm poor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

I have three related questions, when vendors sell gear, is that the only way it can acquired? As well is there any way to actually preview it instead of just dropping down a save? And lastly is there some trick to actually make silver cause despite all the raiding I've done I'm poor.

That's the only way to get it.
Silver will come more and more quickly as you play the game, but don't be afraid to do 200 silver bets on Flytin because Flytin is super easy and that's a good profit.

To be honest you'll run out of things to spend silver on super quickly unless you want to collect every color of every hairstyle or whatever.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Silver will come more and more quickly as you play the game, but don't be afraid to do 200 silver bets on Flytin because Flytin is super easy and that's a good profit.

To be honest you'll run out of things to spend silver on super quickly unless you want to collect every color of every hairstyle or whatever.

Good to know. And I've only found 3 new hairstyles so far and they all suck. I just want the hairstyle your mom had in the intro is that too much to ask?! :argh:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I spend all my silver on iron/leather.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

PittTheElder posted:

Once it actually opened up I started really enjoying it. I've only dabbled in the series but you don't need to know anything about the story. It's obviously heavily influenced by 2018 God of War, which imo is a very good thing. Not in the 'the camera never cuts' thing but the close up 3rd person camera view. Unfortunately the camera swings way too far out when you get into combat. I wish it stayed close up like GoW.

I unfortunately bought WD: Legion the week prior to this. It's obvious Valhalla had Ubisofts focus as it just feels so much smoother and more professionally put together. Although I think Legion has raytracing but Valhalla is 60fps so I don't care.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I personally think Odyssey is a better game, but that doesn't mean this is a bad one. It's just different. If you liked Odyssey/Origins you will probably like this regardless, and if you're into the theme it will be great.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Eimi posted:

I personally think Odyssey is a better game, but that doesn't mean this is a bad one. It's just different. If you liked Odyssey/Origins you will probably like this regardless, and if you're into the theme it will be great.

Odyssey > Valhalla > Origins for me right now...though Valhalla is growing on me. I like that some areas are hostile and some are semi-hostile, very reminiscent of the original and Ezio games. All of the rivers are fun, but the ship feels severely downgraded: I really want a middle speed and some more control. Even the autopilot goes barreling into small boats and random jettys flying around the riverways. Shevor is growing on me, maybe the starting stuff was from earlier in the sessions because the accent and demeanor seem much more consistent now that I've gotten to Ledecestershire. Oh, and the boat needs more default songs...I hear the same two over and over.

Other than that, I saw a group of monks standing and tried to blend in with them and thought about how different the series has become over the years. :member: how Altair and Ezio put their hands on everyone (yuck: covid)?

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Not sure if I am missing something but none of the big churches or longhouses seem to have ways to sneak in? Just did two missions that asked me to assisinate targets but the only way to get to them was breaking down the front door and charging in. Enjoying the raids but sometimes want to do a bit of climbing and sneaking as well.

Also tried to assinate one of the zealots by standing on a high wire above a road and wasn't able to do a drop assasination which is just boring.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

PittTheElder posted:

If you're in it for the setting then it's an ok game. If you want to play a third person historical action game with similar/better mechanics then go with AC: Odyssey or Ghost of Tsushima.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stupid Decisions posted:

Not sure if I am missing something but none of the big churches or longhouses seem to have ways to sneak in? Just did two missions that asked me to assisinate targets but the only way to get to them was breaking down the front door and charging in. Enjoying the raids but sometimes want to do a bit of climbing and sneaking as well.

Also tried to assinate one of the zealots by standing on a high wire above a road and wasn't able to do a drop assasination which is just boring.

Two things that are easy to miss:

Windows can be broken. If a window has black bars in a + along it then you can't go inside through it even if it is broken but if it doesn't then you can just hop in. There is usually at least one in every church.

Keep an eye out for breakable wood when sneaking into longhouses. It's easy to overlook

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

ImpAtom posted:

Two things that are easy to miss:

Windows can be broken. If a window has black bars in a + along it then you can't go inside through it even if it is broken but if it doesn't then you can just hop in. There is usually at least one in every church.

Keep an eye out for breakable wood when sneaking into longhouses. It's easy to overlook

Thanks. Will look a bit closer and see what I can find.

Feel like the breakable windows on the bigger buidings should be spottable with the raven. Climbing around pointing the bow at things doesn't feel much fun.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Ubisoft needs to work on their character modelling tech - Watch Dogs and AC characters look dated in a way that the landscape/scenery doesn't

Happy Hedonist posted:

That dude with the axe in his head, that model is wild. They are getting pretty good at faces.

:thunk:

IMO Valhalla is generally pretty decent. Watch dogs legion is egregious potato faced garbage.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I also encountered a house with barred doors where I had to pick up 2-3 rocks and then I could slide in through a small gap. Felt pretty clever when I figured that out.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone figured out if any of the trinkets are used for anything, or if there's anything that increases the selling price of it?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you have Amazon Prime you can get a cool gear set from Twitch atm.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Stupid Decisions posted:

Thanks. Will look a bit closer and see what I can find.

Feel like the breakable windows on the bigger buidings should be spottable with the raven. Climbing around pointing the bow at things doesn't feel much fun.

Aim your bow at everything suspicious looking. If the aiming dot turns red it's breakable.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Pwnstar posted:

thanks for the heads up, looks pretty good

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Pwnstar posted:

Don't know if it's because I'm on mobile or what but I can't get this to work. Just keeps asking me to link my account over and over.

e: got it to work. Thanks for the heads up!

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 14, 2020

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Found a crazy cat lady with a house full of cats. Lots of petting ensued.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I don't know if I just saw a Goku or Airbender or One Punch or whatever reference, but being reminded that I don't know the difference between any of those things sure makes me feel old. :toot:

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Haven't played Odyssey yet, but one thing I remember from Origins was that the opening cutscene, with pharaoh riding in on the elephant, looked absolutely terrible. And the opening cutscene here in Valhalla looks awful. Why are these things pre-rendered and bad when the in-game graphics are so much better? Just use in-game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How many of you Goons are playing on last gen hardware and how many on the new consoles?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Those Daughters of Lerion do not gently caress around. Somebody at Ubisoft clearly liked the Valravn fight from Hellblade.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Haven't played Odyssey yet, but one thing I remember from Origins was that the opening cutscene, with pharaoh riding in on the elephant, looked absolutely terrible. And the opening cutscene here in Valhalla looks awful. Why are these things pre-rendered and bad when the in-game graphics are so much better? Just use in-game.

Odyssey opening scene is definitely not pre-rendered. It stutters quite a bit on my RX 580 but ultimately looks better than it deserves to. It cuts directly to gameplay as Leonidas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-XWMcsUzLk

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Eivor, on discovering a Hidden Ones hideout packed with ancient artefacts and fogotten secret: hmm yes I will pocket this tooth and four silver coins only.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I know this game just barely came out, and I still have dozens of hours left in it, but I can't help wondering what the future of the franchise is going to look like. Modern story aside, it feels like with this one they finished dealing with the three big broadly recognizable mythological pantheons you see in a lot of games, which points to the idea a lot of people have assumed that this is the end of a trilogy and what comes next will be different. I was always pretty skeptical about the idea that the series would go far outside the 'history of western civilization' region of the world, but if they do want to jump somewhere like Japan or China, now seems as good a time as any to do it. One reason I was previously skeptical is that audience knowledge of NPCs to encounter would be much lower for most non-Western countries, but I don't think anyone except people who've studied the era know who the NPCs are in this game either, so maybe it's not a big deal anymore. I still think there are areas which are probably minefields because of cultural sensitivity, but Tokugawa Japan is about as safe as you can get outside the West (which also makes it kind of the boring choice since it's been done to death in other games).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Sinteres posted:

I know this game just barely came out, and I still have dozens of hours left in it, but I can't help wondering what the future of the franchise is going to look like. Modern story aside, it feels like with this one they finished dealing with the three big broadly recognizable mythological pantheons you see in a lot of games, which points to the idea a lot of people have assumed that this is the end of a trilogy and what comes next will be different. I was always pretty skeptical about the idea that the series would go far outside the 'history of western civilization' region of the world, but if they do want to jump somewhere like Japan or China, now seems as good a time as any to do it. One reason I was previously skeptical is that audience knowledge of NPCs to encounter would be much lower for most non-Western countries, but I don't think anyone except people who've studied the era know who the NPCs are in this game either, so maybe it's not a big deal anymore. I still think there are areas which are probably minefields because of cultural sensitivity, but Tokugawa Japan is about as safe as you can get outside the West (which also makes it kind of the boring choice since it's been done to death in other games).

Nobody does enough video games set in India. You've got an entire subcontinent with an incredibly rich and diverse history and the Hindu pantheon is just as cool as Greek or Norse myth.

There are ENOUGH games about samurai! Boring!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I think my least favorite part of every AC game is the first time you drop into the modern story and you have a laptop filled with emails and audio recordings and other exposition dumps that are never interesting but I feel like I need to go through it all anyway in case it's important. It's always such a momentum killer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Nobody does enough video games set in India. You've got an entire subcontinent with an incredibly rich and diverse history and the Hindu pantheon is just as cool as Greek or Norse myth.

Oh man India would be a great setting

Hobo Clown posted:

I think my least favorite part of every AC game is the first time you drop into the modern story and you have a laptop filled with emails and audio recordings and other exposition dumps that are never interesting but I feel like I need to go through it all anyway in case it's important. It's always such a momentum killer

Look everyone knows that the best part of the day is wading through emails.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

People still worship the Hindu pantheon though, so that's where you get into issues of cultural sensitivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sinteres posted:

People still worship the Hindu pantheon though, so that's where you get into issues of cultural sensitivity.

Tell that to all the Christians I've dismembered through my first 20 hours of Valhalla.