Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

I never really understood Konami's reasoning on not going forward with Silent Hill's. "Yeah let's not make this super anticipated sequel to a beloved series that is guaranteed to make its money back and probably turn a decent profit internationally. Instead let's focus on a tiny marginal market of novelty arcade machines that will probably cost us a fortune to manufacture and maintain."
Is the chairman of the board a brain damaged orangutan or something?

People focus on the pachinko, but Konami also realized they could safely make far more money with gachas almost immediately vs Kojima's years long gamble.

There's a great video online explaining the turf war in Konami, but it's pretty simple. Kojima lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Us, the real gamerz, lost

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Thundercracker posted:

People focus on the pachinko, but Konami also realized they could safely make far more money with gachas almost immediately vs Kojima's years long gamble.

There's a great video online explaining the turf war in Konami, but it's pretty simple. Kojima lost.

Pretty much the same reason Valve mostly stopped making games- why spend a moderate amount of money to make a lot of money when you could spend less money to make more money than god?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pope Guilty posted:

Pretty much the same reason Valve mostly stopped making games- why spend a moderate amount of money to make a lot of money when you could spend less money to make more money than god?
Well, that and their company structure means that basically only passion projects that someone can make everyone feel interested in ever really go through. It's why Half Life: Alyx got made and was actually surprisingly good: people really got into that whole high-end VR thing that is a recent popular trend.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I agree that Visage is a bit on the expensive side but I've played a good amount of horror games and I can't think of a single one that's spooked me quite like this. Turn all your lights off, play it with headphones on, and go into it completely blind. It's scared the piss outta me pretty consistently. It's really good at building tension and doesn't lean heavily on stupid jump scares.

E: super glad I didn't know this game existed until it was finished though, I'd absolutely hate to play something like this in early access

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 16, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Terminal Cuts for Bloodrayne 1 and 2 are available. Haven't tested them (having got them for free since I owned the originals on GOG), but they are also massive compared to the original versions, like 4 times the size. Is that all upscaled video? I was under the impression that they weren't doing HD textures, unless they did and I missed it?

Maybe they can get around to releasing Nocturne, I have it on disc but a fixed up version would be fantastic (though I doubt we'll see their Blair Witch games for legal reasons...).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

catlord posted:

Terminal Cuts for Bloodrayne 1 and 2 are available. Haven't tested them (having got them for free since I owned the originals on GOG), but they are also massive compared to the original versions, like 4 times the size. Is that all upscaled video? I was under the impression that they weren't doing HD textures, unless they did and I missed it?

I haven't gotten free copies on Steam yet, maybe it'll take a little while.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Any of you folks still playing Friday the 13th on the Xbox One?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Having played more Phasmophobia i can see a bit more of the appeal, especially when you are trying to wring out as many objectives as you can. It's not usually worth the risk to get those extra objectives if they aren't fairly easy, but it's dull otherwise so why not

I do wish the devs would focus more on bug fixes than new maps and such though, some of the systems are glitch enough that it can confuse the game in unintentional ways.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Having played more Phasmophobia i can see a bit more of the appeal, especially when you are trying to wring out as many objectives as you can. It's not usually worth the risk to get those extra objectives if they aren't fairly easy, but it's dull otherwise so why not

I do wish the devs would focus more on bug fixes than new maps and such though, some of the systems are glitch enough that it can confuse the game in unintentional ways.

They really need to do something about the dirty water objective. Its not interesting, and is oftentimes difficult if not impossible to get.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wish they would make the game not look like a lovely asset flip and have a neat visual style.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Weenis question: I love atmospheric horror, but the one thing I have a rough time with is being chased by poo poo and having to run/hide in a panic. Does Transference involve much of that, or is it more of a walking simulator? I don't need specific details, and spoiler tags are cool in case someone else reading this was planning on playing (asking here because I don't want to accidentally spoil too much looking it up myself)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

sigher posted:

I wish they would make the game not look like a lovely asset flip and have a neat visual style.

It's one dude that makes it, is the thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's a reason why no-budget indie games can either have good graphics or actual gameplay. I'd rather have an ugly one than yet another generic running-away simulator.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

flesh dance posted:

Weenis question: I love atmospheric horror, but the one thing I have a rough time with is being chased by poo poo and having to run/hide in a panic. Does Transference involve much of that, or is it more of a walking simulator? I don't need specific details, and spoiler tags are cool in case someone else reading this was planning on playing (asking here because I don't want to accidentally spoil too much looking it up myself)

No running or hiding, just an unsettling sort of vibe and story.

Edit: there are times when a scary thing will 'chase' you down hallways, but it's scripted and not something you need to actually hide from

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 30, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I guess that's a no, shame.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

John Wolfe is hosting a hq_residential_house horror jam and I totally plan on making something. Although I’m torn between doing something *ironic* or putting actual effort into it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Looked up that house, immediately recognized it from House Party as soon as they showed the garage, from watching Game Grumps play through every speck of content in that game.

I say put in some effort, at least with regards to mechanics. See if you can break through his jaded facade!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All I have is a concept where you go through the house in three different time periods of 1980, 1995, 2010 which are rendered in Atari/PS1/the actual asset pack in visual style but I have no ideas on what the game itself should actually be about.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

al-azad posted:

All I have is a concept where you go through the house in three different time periods of 1980, 1995, 2010 which are rendered in Atari/PS1/the actual asset pack in visual style but I have no ideas on what the game itself should actually be about.

If there was more time to work I'd say it would be funny to come up with a core concept and implement it as it would've been in each of those eras- a la Haunted House, a la Resident Evil, a la Amnesia - but maybe that would just be triple unoriginality.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"I have an idea for a neat gimmick but I can't think of a game to go with it" seems to be the creative process of more than a few horror games these days, so I'd say you two are nothing if not ready to strike out into the open market.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Actually you could do a Day of the Tentacle thing where, for example, the Atari version has fewer walls (gotta keep things simple!) so maybe you could hop back to 1980, step through a wall that just isn't rendered, then jump forward to 2010 to get the Heart Key, then back to 1995 to use it to unlock the Heart Door.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

al-azad posted:

You better have a rendering as a text adventure. "You find yourself in an oddly familiar home..."

Bonus points if you use John quotes to describe the layout.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Incidentally Horror of Salazar House (renamed for the Steam release, apparently due to fears that people would think it was more of a Myst-style game?) is pretty good! You're stuck in a ruined house where something obviously occult is going on and trying to figure out how to complete (or stop!) the ritual so you can escape, while eluding a murderous ghost who gets faster and more aggressive as you get closer to solving the mystery. It's not quite as faithful in its use of early-80's graphics as, say, Faith (there's a few effects that I don't recall that era of PC being able to accomplish) but makes excellent use of the visual style to create a creepy atmosphere. My only really significant complaint is that the mechanics of how hiding the ghost work aren't really clear and aren't well-communicated, though I don't know if that's intentional or not. I'd call it 7/10 and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the dev does next.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

John Wolfe is hosting a hq_residential_house horror jam and I totally plan on making something. Although I’m torn between doing something *ironic* or putting actual effort into it.

Low lighting, spooky house with traumatized OSHA inspector; they have PTSD from Grover house and the violations seem to be following them to this new house....

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would love to see some Infra rear end realistic architectural horror like someone inspecting that Goon bathroom hack job.

"My god, your tub is just resting on rocks the mildew hazard AAAAGH!!"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Incidentally Horror of Salazar House (renamed for the Steam release, apparently due to fears that people would think it was more of a Myst-style game?) is pretty good! You're stuck in a ruined house where something obviously occult is going on and trying to figure out how to complete (or stop!) the ritual so you can escape, while eluding a murderous ghost who gets faster and more aggressive as you get closer to solving the mystery. It's not quite as faithful in its use of early-80's graphics as, say, Faith (there's a few effects that I don't recall that era of PC being able to accomplish) but makes excellent use of the visual style to create a creepy atmosphere. My only really significant complaint is that the mechanics of how hiding the ghost work aren't really clear and aren't well-communicated, though I don't know if that's intentional or not. I'd call it 7/10 and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the dev does next.

This is such a dumb thing but I'm a fan of that font for reasons I can't understand and love seeing it pop up here and there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pope Guilty posted:

It's one dude that makes it, is the thing.

I think he's hired a person at this point and I get it, but with the killing he's made on the game he could hire a dedicated artist.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You don't hire "a" dedicated artist to make a game like that look good. You hire a dedicated team of artists, full-time... which the guy might be able to afford at this point, but which he also has absolutely experience leading or managing, and certainly couldn't lead or manage while continuing to work full-time on further content and mechanical updates to the game in his own right.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sigher posted:

I think he's hired a person at this point and I get it, but with the killing he's made on the game he could hire a dedicated artist.

At this point what you're asking for is basically just Phasmophobia 2, with the amount of time and work it would take to redo every graphic in the game

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's worth pointing out as well that the new Prison level on the beta branch is super fantastic. Far and away the best put together and best looking map of every map so far.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Imagining hq_residential_house but used in a sendup of koudelka/shadow hearts

Need to be more fangames based on koudelka/shadow hearts. Horror rpgs with actual rpg battles. Just make the battles good and not slow as hell.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

At this point what you're asking for is basically just Phasmophobia 2, with the amount of time and work it would take to redo every graphic in the game

Tbh considering this has functional VR it could have been sold for 30 bucks. If they wanted to just start on Phasmophobia 2 with better graphics idk how anyone could complain

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Considering that the game was a breakout success that no one expected, with sales figures that outperform some AAA titles even looking as it currently does, I imagine that many of the people who bought it anyway and primarily want the game to receive more content updates and mechanical improvements might have something to say about that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The last thing you want to do is Culling 2 yourself.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Considering that the game was a breakout success that no one expected, with sales figures that outperform some AAA titles even looking as it currently does, I imagine that many of the people who bought it anyway and primarily want the game to receive more content updates and mechanical improvements might have something to say about that.

I'm in this camp. I don't want fidelity upgrades. I just want more content.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I don't have much to say about World of Horror but I really like it and wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for, like, one random post in here a month ago.

I wish there was just... more of it. Is the modding scene any good?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe, but a $12 horror VR title that is actually good? You should be grateful it doesn't shoot spikes into your eyes for that price.

I'm not saying that most players wouldn't want free updates, just that what people are playing now is the entire price point's worth of content.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not really sure what to say to that, because it just seems like a strange attitude to have. Phasmophobia is an Early Access title. That it is already very playable and apparently really fun to a lot of people doesn't change the fact that it's still basically a half-finished game. I haven't looked at the developer roadmap for the game, if there's even one that is publically available, but people haven't actually gotten what they paid for until the entire game is finished. That's kinda just how EA works.

I mean, really, how many of the outsold-Borderlands-3 number of people who have bought the game so far are likely to even have a VR headset at all? It can't really be that many. I don't see how that would even matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

World of Horror and Phasmophobia are both games where yeah they're EA but both of their devs could abruptly quit and I'd feel like I got what I paid for.